Would you agree with this?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Would you agree with this?

Postby hive_king » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:30 pm

This is a question for religious people on this board.

Do you, as a christian or other religious person, think that someone who denies the existence of a Divine Presence in the universe, commonly referred to as "God", is holding a false belief or opinion in spite of evidence of some sort to the contrary?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:16 pm

I suppose that depends on what you mean by a false belief. I think that someone who denies the existence of a divine being may truly believe there is no such being. They may even have what they feel to be sufficient evidence for their beliefs. I also believe that they are incorrect. Of course, if I did not believe that, I would not be a believer in a divine being. And I'm sure that my beliefs are seen as incorrect, despite what I feel is sufficient evidence to the contrary, by the non-theists and non-deists of these boards.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:58 pm

Do I think athiests/agnostics are sincere in their beliefs? Yes, as a general rule. I don't think anyone's believing in the non-existence of God just to be obsintate.

Do I think they're wrong? Of course, or I wouldn't be a theist.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:42 pm

Don't you mean "theistic religious person"? Or does that always automatically get implied?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:58 am

Buddhism doesn't have a god, and nor do many other religions. I think you mean theistic religious, as zero said.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:08 pm

Yeeg. I was going to say something like that, but I thought it might spark some kind of philosophy vs religion argument.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:59 pm

There was a recent comic that this remided me of.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Andorbal
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Would you agree with this?

Postby Andorbal » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:13 pm

...in spite of evidence of some sort to the contrary?
I don't know what evidence there could possibly be one way or another... What someone might consider a miracle and total proof of god could be seen as a scientific process by another. Some people view childbirth as a miracle, while others see it as the predictable result of a sperm fertilizing an egg.

That analogy may not be the best, but I think it should suffice.

I think I believe in a god, but I definitely can't fault anyone who doesn't.

But along these lines, I've always wondered why some Christians insist that I'm going to hell because I'm not their specific denomination. I don't get it because Catholicism is a form of Christianity. What's more, even if they are right, and God hates Catholics and will damn them all to hell, what's it to them? If they thought they were trying to help, that would at least be some excuse. But every time I've been told I'm going to hell, it was almost like they were giddy that they were right and I was wrong...

Anecdotal at best, I know, but still.

Andorbal.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”