"one white nation"

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Do you admit you were wrong?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:25 pm

Do you admit you were wrong?
I was wrong to argue for the phrase "under God" when the whole pledge is out of constitutional boundaries.

But if presented with the two options only, certainly "under god" should stay.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:40 pm

Are you arguing the "Christian Side?"
Yay, I'm a llama again!

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:43 am

Not really. I was arguing the "It's stupid to waste resources" side. Not all of America is christian, I recognize and respect that.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:27 am

Wasting resources is neither a religious issue nor an issue of moral philosophy.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am

Not really. I was arguing the "It's stupid to waste resources" side. Not all of America is christian, I recognize and respect that.
Not when you were talking about how it should be kept because "that's the way the nation was founded."

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:27 pm

Let the guy leave this thread feeling like he has some shred of dignity left, people.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:34 pm

he had dignity to begin with?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:54 pm

I specifically said "feeling like".

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:07 am

I declare myself victorious in this thread.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:04 am

Indeed, Byakko is victorious, he pwnt all the rest of us. I leave with no less "dignity" than anyone except for Byakko!

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:21 am

Actually, Byakko didn't win because his argument was irrelevant to the thread. I made the thread, and I made it as a discussion of the ethical and moral fairness of the pledge, not the constitutionality. He's having an entirely different discussion than we are. Apple and oranges, man.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:26 am

The "ethical and moral fairness of the pledge" is what's irrelevant, since we shouldn't have a pledge in the first place. The thread is pointless, I merely pointed it out to everybody.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:29 am

So how does one determine "the will of the people" as concerns constitutionality?

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:32 am

entrails of a year-old ewe.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:40 am

Uh... what the f*** are you two talking about?

King, fortunately America does not abide by vox populi vox dei. The will of the people has nothing to do with Constitutionality, unless the set processes for amending the Constitution are undertaken. A "pledge", such as the one we have, is and will forever remain unconstitutional unless the Constitution is amended to include such an act. I honestly don't know what the f*** you're trying to say.

Melon, I don't care what you had for dinner. Take that s*** to Milagre.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:46 am

in the tenth amendment, "Amendment X - "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." How do you determine the will of the people as far as exersizing constitutional rights?

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:02 am

King, how many times have I invoked and/or copied that very amendment for use in a discussion? I'm well aware of the enumeration of the people's rights. If "the people" wish to pledge, they are free to do so - this does not constitute a national pledge, nor does it codify such a pledge into federal statute - such as our current "pledge" does. You (individually) are free to pledge whatever you wish - allegiance to America, to the Masonic brotherhood, to a goat - I don't care. The "people" have ALL rights - that's the point of the Tenth Amendment - except for those things which are specifically enumerated to the States and to the Federal government. The people can excersise their rights - but cannot create a federal, national "pledge" - and since the federal government has no business creating a pledge, neither can it.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:10 am

But if the people and the state wish to cede their power to the federal government, they have the right, but they can rescind the power at any time. The federal government can have power over a national pledge if the states and people (by their representatives) decide to give them that power, but sovereignity in the issue will still lie with the people and states.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:16 am

No, no and no.

The federal government cannot have power that does not stem from the Constitution - hence the term 'unconstitutional' in regards to the Pledge. The people might want to cede certain rights to the federal government - and certainly we see examples everyday of people wishing for more nanny statism - but the people don't cede their rights to the federal government. The very idea of a "national pledge" goes against the grain of the document itself.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:29 am

Where does it say they can't cede power? (Keeping in mind that power and sovereignity are two different things)

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:39 am

It doesn't say they can't cede power - in the same manner as no one officially says you can't fly by flapping your arms. But hey, you're free to try! The operative word in the former sentence is "can't" - as we have seen, regardless of whether it is constitutional or not, ignorant people will give their rights over to rulers who are all too eager for more power and control. This doesn't make it right, or for that matter, constitutional. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say people "can't" give up their rights; the problem being that the people's rights are not a zero-sum game. YOU might want to give up a certain right, but I might be vehemently against giving it up. To create a national pledge inherently infringes upon the rights of some for the percieved benefit of the rights of others. This is the true unconstitutionality of a national pledge - moreso than its semantical incongruence with the document.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:46 am

Which right is being infringed on, exactly? Just to clarify the discussion.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:51 am

I don't want a national pledge. I have the right not to have one.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:51 am

So what if every other person in America but you wants one?

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:53 am

You're f***ed.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 am

wait. who is f******? the one person who doesn't want the pledge, or everyone else who does?

(edited, had things backwards)

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:56 am

Are you stupid? Obviously, you asked "if everyone but you wanted one" - so when I say "you're f***ed" I am, of course, talking about YOU.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:57 am

So one person can forstall the will of 3 million?

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:58 am

3 million? There are about 300 million people in the U.S.

And the answer is yes. Not that such a situation would ever occur anyways, but I'll keep humouring you.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:58 am

So you're saying that the will of one person should be able to forstall the will of 3 million? That doesn't make sense and is contrary to the concept of democracy. Now it would make sense if a natural human right was involved, but in this case the seperation of powers is a legal right, not a natural right.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:00 am

That doesn't make sense and is contrary to the concept of democracy.
Hint: We're not a democracy. :wink:
Now it would make sense if a natural human right was involved,
All rights are natural.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:07 am

We are a representative republic, which is usually considered a type of democracy.

Under certain state law, during the civil war, the only surviving male of a family had the right to not be part of the state draft if he lost male family in the war. Some state law did not have that law. Did the only surviving male have or not have the right of draft exemption?

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:09 am

Then, what would be the point of America?
I mean, America is a country that was founded on the basis of instituting individual freedom as supreme value. The fact that you have to pledge allegiance to your country means that you are not free to dislike your country and its laws, nor free to not give a care about it.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:10 am

We are a representative republic, which is usually considered a type of democracy.
Usually considered by whom? And since you qualify your statement with "usually", under what circumstances isn't it considered such?
Under certain state law, during the civil war, the only surviving male of a family had the right to not be part of the state draft if he lost male family in the war. Some state law did not have that law. Did the only surviving male have or not have the right of draft exemption?
So now it's not about the pledge, it's about the draft? Okay. Here's the answer: conscription is also unconstitutional. :wink: Have fun.

EDIT: Jota hit the nail on the head.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”