File this in the "Creepy As Hell" cabinet...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:19 pm

I'm with Mr_TheBrain on this. If it's family or a friend, it's not that creepy. It's just sad. If it's a stranger, acquaintance, etc., then it's creepy.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:20 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's sad as well, that they passed on. I don't care who it is though - my own sibling or a random man - if I find a dead body lodged behind my bookshelf, I'm creeped out. Possibly for life.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:27 pm

Given the circumstance, though, that she had been missing for eleven days and she happens to turn up behind a bookshelf is a surprise, but I really don't see how it'd be creepy.

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:29 pm

I remember when I live in Staten Island, there was a guy found in the dumpste rnext to my house, even though i never saw the body, it creeped me out either way. *shrugs*
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:30 pm

That goes along with what I'm saying: that guy wasn't a friend, a family member, or a neighbor. It was a stranger. Strangers deaths are a lot creepier than the above mentioned deaths. (Well...depending on how well you know those three, really.)

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:32 pm

so your saying I should have been less creeped out if it was my dad or girlfriend?
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:35 pm

Right. Because your first emotion would be shock, then probably despair/sadness/depression (or any other synonyms you want to throw in there.) Shock doesn't necessarily mean creeped out. The same goes if you found your dog dead in the road as opposed to a dead bird in the middle of the road.

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:37 pm

id be shocked, and upset, but i think itd be somewhat creepy, but i agree not as creepy as a stranger.

Sister Carlotta

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:38 pm

Hmm...I bet the amount of decomposition and so forth has to do with the level of creepiness. I know if I found a loved one rotting somewhere, I'd be creeped out, but if I found a somewhat fresh corpse, then I probably wouldn't be nearly as creeped out.

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:40 pm

either way, an 11 day old dead body, though not full rotted out by that time, is still prolly not a pretty site, specially one upside down probably with her faced smashed in by the time they find her, against the floor. She definitly was at least bloated by the time they found her, thats gotta be pretty unsettling in my book.

Sister Carlotta

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:45 pm

I work with the elderly, so death has a different sort of meaning to me. Finding a dead body would be very distressing.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:47 pm

I don't think it matters how decomposed the body is either. Finding someone - anyone - dead, in my home, would make me shreik.

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:49 pm

I thought of something as creepy as finding a corpse, and thats talking of different degrees of creepiness in finding them. hah.

I spose it all falls down to how well a person can handle death.

Sister Carlotta

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:49 pm

i would agree with the sad reaction either way.

i think creepy comes into play when you think about the fact that it was ELEVEN DAYS.

she was in the house for over a week, dead for most of it i'm assuming, for ELEVEN DAYS before anyone found her. imagine that you're first calling her name, then realize that she's gone. you're phoning her friends, the police, setting up search parties... all that.

and the whole time she's stuck behind a freaking bookcase in the SAME HOUSE that you're in while making all these phone calls and lying awake at night crying and worrying about her.

ELEVEN DAYS.

totally creepy.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:51 pm

Yea, I find it creepy, but I think everyone who doesn't, it's because maybe the way she died? I guess at least the way she died wasn't creepy, just kinda sad.

Sister Carlotta

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:28 pm

how is this creepy? kind of a strange way to die i grant you... but i think creepy is the wrong word to use.

pretty much sounds to me like a losing bid for the darwin awards.
WHAT?! You are so messed up.

They were looking for her body for 11 days... and she was in their HOUSE!
sorry rahl. you'd think as a writer of creepy things and horror... or whatever it is you write. you'd know that a dead body is a 1.5 on a scale of 10 on the scare-o-meter. and usually it takes a pop and scream to get it that high. who cares how long it was in there. so it would stink. a stinky body is not scary. a stinky body is just sick. *shrug*

yes, i am messed up. thank you. everyone would do very well to remember that. :roll:
uhm... there's a difference between a fictional dead body and a real dead body.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:46 am

Brain, you're actually on to something. I write horror and have a really hard time watching horror movies. Real life freaks me out. Go figure.

Yeah, I mean it isn't the 'dead body' at all. People discover loved ones dead in their homes all the time (well, I hope not all the time). It really is the time issue, and the 'hidden in plain sight' issue. And they saw her foot before anything else. Totally creepy.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:00 am

seeing the foot. i'd be like "WTF!" more then anything.

I sort of define creepy as that skin crawl effect. shocking/startling is something completely different. and scary is different from all of the above. creepy would be if the person was flayed or something equally messed up. shocking/startling would be finding the girl behind the bookcase. then i would be sad. scary would be if she started talking to me or something.

i don't find dead bodies to be creepy or scary. lifeless bodies are far too common to really be too offputting. perhaps this is how i view death. perhaps it has something to do with how many funerals i've had to go to in my life. i don't really fear death. i really just think of it as moving on/a new experience. *shrug* if that makes me messed up i don't wanna be normal :P

oh and in regards to the stranger thing... is it creepy because it's dead or because it's a stranger?
Ubernaustrum

liquifiedrainbows
Soldier
Soldier

Re: File this in the "Creepy As Hell" cabinet...

Postby liquifiedrainbows » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only who saw this article on CNN, but I had to post this anyway. You know, kind of an evil, profane "pay-it-forward" scheme.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/25/bookca ... index.html
*thinks of obsene coming out of the closet joke*
*realizes it was a bookcase*

Oh, f***.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:51 pm

It is a little creepy, but more depressing than anything.

Finding a stranger dead behind your bookcase would be more creepy than a family member. Then, you have to wonder why on earth a kleptomaniacal bibliophile chose your books to try to steal. *skin crawls*
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:01 pm

I agree with Ollie.

The creepy part to me is that she was in the house for 11 days. They were looking for her and she was right under their noses... and probably not dead right away.

That makes my skin crawl.
-Kim

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:51 am

This just in from dig: Ohio mother accused of microwaving her baby to death
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleArch ... rowave.php

now THAT is sick!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:13 am

Leave it to Pwebbers to debate the weirdest things.
The enemy's fly is down.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:57 am

This just in from dig: Ohio mother accused of microwaving her baby to death
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleArch ... rowave.php

now THAT is sick!
I saw that, too. And I don't think it's creepy. It is, however, really, really, maddening.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:41 am

apparently it's only creepy if it sits for 11 days.

cooked baby? Feh.

not cleaning the microwave for 11 days after cooking baby? creepy. gives me the willies!
Ubernaustrum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”