The trailer

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

The trailer

Postby Cassandra » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Live blogging all about the trailer:

http://www.endersansible.com/2013/04/18 ... inemancon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Re: The trailer

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Really? Nobody has dropped by to say anything? I've been coming to this site since it opened and I've been dreaming about this movie for longer than that and I know my fellow Pwebbers have too. The response to the trailer has been great--I've read the comments from Collider, i09, Cinema Blend, and with the help of Ender's Ansible and Ender News kept up on the Twitter response. Everything being discussed is promising. I can't believe nobody else is talking about it...

Here's to hoping the trailer comes out next week and people, even the biggest fans, care.

Salaam

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:01 pm

I'm insanely excited. I've been waiting for this for the better part of a decade. I know some of you have been waiting longer.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm going to the midnight release of Into Darkness for the sole purpose of seeing the trailer.

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby allenwatson23 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 am

I've never looked forward to any trailer more in my life.
Huge Ender's Game fan and a lover of reading. First book due out soon!
http://authorallenwatson.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Totally agree. I'm almost ashamed at how voraciously I consume even the slightest bit of news with regards to the movie, or even just its advertisement.

Almost.

Did you hear that they're giving Rackham facial tribal Maori tattoos? Interesting design choice, no? Thoughts?

dannydawg
Launchie
Launchie

Postby dannydawg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:31 pm

I like that they're doing tatoos. Details like that tell me they've at least put in some thought to the backstory for these characters. I'm really as excited for this as most people here.

I bet we'll see a trailer within a week or 10 days

drobbins
Launchie
Launchie

Postby drobbins » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:36 am

I always envisioned Mazer with some sort of facial tattoo. I thought it would be more like Commander Chakotay in Star Trek Voyager...

This is what I envisioned in 2001: (drawn in 2001 colored in 2012)

Darian

kalmondo
Launchie
Launchie

Postby kalmondo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 am

WHY! Why would they tease us with the knowledge that there is a trailer, and then not deem to release it publicly! Do they realize how worried I have been that the movie was gona some how flop because there where no trailers? Did I mention I realllly want to see the trailer? I can't wait for public release!

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm

"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:15 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa<3
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Thu May 02, 2013 11:48 pm

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 am

:stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp:
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
:frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :grouphug: :grouphug:

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 am

SO Exciting!! :D And they are releasing the full trailer on my birthday :stoned:

also....
:stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp: :stamp:
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
:frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :frolic: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :grouphug: :grouphug:

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Fri May 03, 2013 8:06 am

OK, peeps, let's break this thing down shot by shot:

Battle school, we see the wheel spinning but the battle room remains stationary, an important bit of detail that means they're taking the physics here seriously.

Graff pep talking Ender. This one speaks for itself. Graff looks and sounds perfect, but notice Ender's face in the background and appreciate Asa's talent for a moment.

Next shot, Ender or someone launching into the battle room. The stars appear to be placed methodically and in some kind of pattern. We notice that the odd shape of the stars does not affect their stack-ability. Can someone help me with the colors of Ender's army here? Green? Salamander?

Next shot of a salamander soldier sommersaulting. Not much to note here, only that his gun is out of his hand, spinning freely out of reach. Is this soldier frozen?

Last battle room shot is the most significant. Grey and orange: dragon. We see in the background a solid wall of stars built in front of the gate. We also see that the dragon soldier is tethered with something. This soldier is Bean. :O

More of Asa's awesome acting. Then OMG, we get a look of a bunch of battle school kids. Alai, Dink and Bean all stand out, but oddly, this dormitory is mixed, with soldiers from salamander, phoenix, etc. And what's with the yellow jumpsuits? It just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Then, wrap things up with a line from Mazer.

In short:

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 am

The enemy's fly is down.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 am

I made the stupid mistake of yelling "hell yesh" during the teaser during my English Teacher's lecture. Oh well, at least I can watch the teaser over and over again in the principal's office :thumbs:
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri May 03, 2013 9:33 am

There's actually no polite way to say how excited I am.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Seems like Summit are trying to do right by the fan community. I was worried this morning because they filed a takedown notice on my slow-mo YouTube video, but I filed a dispute with about a paragraph justification of how I was complying with the "Fair Use" doctrine, and just got notice they've released the claim.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Great work--both on the slow-down and on the fight!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Great work--both on the slow-down and on the fight!
Thanks! The speed with which they released the dispute, without any follow-up contact, makes me think it was a legal formality more than anything else - making sure they don't set a precedent of assuming fair-use in case that makes it harder to defend against real infringement down the line.

The thing that is astonishing to me with the slow-mo was how much of the long black frames when cutting between scenes our brains just filter out until you start drawing them out a little bit.
Last edited by elfprince13 on Fri May 03, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri May 03, 2013 3:09 pm

See! I KNEW your being such a pain in the rear end would come in handy one of these days!

(Hopefully, the same can be said for me!)
--Boothby

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:47 pm

See! I KNEW your being such a pain in the rear end would come in handy one of these days!

(Hopefully, the same can be said for me!)
:thumbs:

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 pm

There's actually no polite way to say how excited I am.
I concur. I saw the link from Ender's Ansible's Facebook page this morning at 6:00 am and promptly woke up my entire family (including my son, Ender) screaming in excitement. I've watched that 10 second clip probably 25 times today and still haven't got enough of it. It's beyond anything I ever imagined. I'm so pumped for the trailer, I can't stand it.

-Craig

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 pm

So....I think that video has about doubled my channels all-time view count, built up over a few years, overnight. So that's cool. And it suggests that people not us are also excited about this movie. Still waiting to see Summit's advertising machine kick into full gear, but it seems like we're finally getting to that point. Their official video on youtube had a link to the IF Sentinel page.

Kaydon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Kaydon » Sat May 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Battle school, we see the wheel spinning but the battle room remains stationary, an important bit of detail that means they're taking the physics here seriously.
This only means that the theory of physics the way we under stand it to be is taken in to account. In the book the station was built that way to originally account for that physics theory, however they have since learned how to manipulate gravity from the buggers. The hook used to un-thaw soldiers at the end of a battle and fix a soldier in place is an example of the gravity manipulation.

The station appears to only have one game room that is transparent to space. I think there were supposed to be 9 wheels as well?.

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Sat May 04, 2013 1:39 pm

This only means that the theory of physics the way we under stand it to be is taken in to account. In the book the station was built that way to originally account for that physics theory, however they have since learned how to manipulate gravity from the buggers. The hook used to un-thaw soldiers at the end of a battle and fix a soldier in place is an example of the gravity manipulation.

The station appears to only have one game room that is transparent to space. I think there were supposed to be 9 wheels as well?.
You're right about the gravity manipulation, but you're missing my point. The wheel rotates to generate artificial g's but the battle room should not rotate in order to preserve a stable zero g environment. This is just showing that they had physics savvy people behind the animation, and we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

As for the scaled-down battle school, they've said time and time again that battle school will be smaller than it was in the books, with significantly fewer students. It should come as no surprise, then, that they make it smaller as well.

Question for all you fans: the Facebook page for the movie recently posted this image https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0511_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you make of the schematic in the corner? Bugger ship?

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun May 05, 2013 12:11 pm

I made some 16:9 crops of the trailer images on EA. Anyone is welcome to use these as desktop backgrounds. I didn't even try to crop the army barracks image since it's using every bit of horizontal real estate and I didn't want to cut anyone out.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image
The enemy's fly is down.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun May 05, 2013 4:53 pm

There were supposed to be 9 Battle Rooms (I think you meant to say "Battle Room," rather than "Game Room." Card mentions a gaming room area on one of the upper rotating levels, so the two ideas are different)

In Ender's Shadow, Bean and some of the other launchies talk about two known rings and possible third ring, "hidden" from the students.

My Battle School design (Darian Robbins and Ethan Hurdus--and others--helped with its development), the one I detailed in the Authorized Ender Companion, reflected two revolving rings and 9 Battle Rooms.

As I discussed in the Companion, the main rings revolve (there is a large revolving section in the film version, too--as well as the static section) to provide a "safe" form or artificial gravity. Bugger gravity is also used as well for specific functions. I associate the use of Bugger Gravity as "high risk."

(Click for motion)
--Boothby

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:24 pm

So much to process. Looked pretty awesome.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue May 07, 2013 3:11 pm

As my brother pointed out, the ending seems kind of spoiler-ish.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Tue May 07, 2013 3:53 pm

To everyone freaking out about the "OMG! SPOILER ENDING", consider this for a moment:

No one who has read the book will be surprised by Ender shooting at a planet.

No one who has not read the book will understand the significance of the image.

It's pretty obvious that Ender is going to beat/kill the buggers (genre staple). The real surprise is that the buggers were not deserving of annihilation.

All is not lost.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:01 pm

It's pretty obvious that Ender is going to beat/kill the buggers (genre staple). The real surprise is that the buggers were not deserving of annihilation.
And when he beats them.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue May 07, 2013 5:49 pm

And when he beats them.
And that when they realized thier mistake, they knew they were doomed and made contingency plans for thier survival. I really hope the Buggers trying to link with Ender and the discovery of the queen survives in the film. Or was the mind game world at the beginning of Speaker? I really need to reread the books before November.
The enemy's fly is down.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 pm

The castle with the cocoon was at the end of Ender's Game. I have the stories internalized well enough that it is better if I don't read them again before November, so that I can better enjoy the movie on its own terms (as long as it preserves the soul of the story) without nitpicking overly much.

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”