Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Re: Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Postby Mich » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 am

Edgewood, the first book in a YA series that was free on Kindle, has been sitting on my computer for a few months, and I finally bit into it. It was pretty good, and actually reminds me of my favorite YA series growing up: Animorphs. Although it is slightly better written, in terms of language and fluidity, it doesn't seem to be dealing with as mature of themes. Well, people don't turn into bears and then lose their limbs and stuff. It does, however, feature a superhero origin story for four teen protagonists, and appears to be rotating through each of them for the first-person perspective in each novel in the series, although the second one only just came out. The plot doesn't really go anywhere, probably because the protagonist doesn't have much motivation, and the climax is pretty... not climactic. But I enjoyed it and I may seek out the sequel.

But here's my main problem with it.

About 1/3 of the way through, I figured out a major plot twist. If you read it, I imagine you would also figure it out, if not at that point, then at least by the end of the book. Because they're so blatant about it. But the thing is that they never actually have a reveal. They never do! Imagine if about two-thirds of the way through someone asked Kane "Hey, have you ever owned a sled?" and good ol' Charles Foster turned to them, looked thoughtful, and said "No." Then there was a sequel. It's not an exactly parallel idea, but it's so aggravating. I want to be proven right! And it's not revealed in this book, and probably won't be until this character is the focal character again.

GRRRRRRRRRRR.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:27 pm

I have read 18 books in the past...3 weeks? That's a lot, for me. Anyway, of those 18, 5 have made it onto the acceptable list for this work project. I have to find 3 more. The end is in sight. Kind of.

Up next: Etiquette and Espionage - Carriger and Slated - Terry.

Please, please, let one of these make the list.

It has to be:
YA
The first of a series or a stand-alone
Published within the last 2 years but preferably in the last two or so months
Not terribly cliche/formulaic.

Do you know how hard that is? YA is so much "OH MY GOD I JUST MET YOU 5 MINUTES AGO BUT I REALIZED IN THAT MOMENT I'VE LOVED FOREVER AND OH, HEY, THE WORLD IS ENDING FROM NUCLEAR ZOMBIES WHO ARE TRAPPED IN A HIGH SCHOOL WITH US AND DO YOU HAVE CANCER BECAUSE WE'LL FIGHT THIS AND WIN."

Also prevalent in a lot of books I've come across? Death. Suicide, murder, cancer, you name it. People are dying all over my fiction. 13 Reasons Why and Anything By John Green, I blame you.

Also, Planesrunner by McDonald? AWESOME.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:37 pm

First in a series / standalone AND published within the last 2 years? O_o I'm afraid I can't help.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 pm

There are tons of options and currently...5 of us tackling this. Still, whether it's due to overt sex, too strong language, or not meeting the criteria we listed, it's a slow-going process trying to come up with ~30, especially given so many YA books are series and predictable, boring series at that. We have, oh, about 10 more days to find 12 more titles. I'm responsible for 3 of them.

I'm also trying to find another graphic novel that also meets that criteria (little to no sex, little to no cussing, no other questionable material, new, standalone or first in a series and not a big name superhero type thing) and having no luck. Drama and Smile by Telgemeier were so big and nothing like that has come out these past few months that I've seen. Peanut is probably the closest you'll get but stupid thing mentions auto-erotic asphyxiation. :grumble:

I have a list started for the fall version of this project because I've seen interesting looking books coming out post-May but that doesn't much help now.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 pm

It's the recent thing that makes it particularly difficult. Finding good YA is hard, so my stockpile of recommendations is hard won, and these days prospective entries are only investigated by combined recommendation of my mother and younger brother, which adds a bit of a lag effect.

And the few series I still follow from my YA reading years are on the tail end now, not the starting end.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Finding good YA is hard.
Yes. I have about 4 titles right now that I'm hesitant to add to the list but will in a crunch. They were good but the ones that have made the cut blew me away while these 4 were merely technically adequate.

Once I'm done finding my last 3, I then have to read 7 books read by someone else for this list. >< The reading never ends. Or rather, the reading will end, right in time for our summer reading program to start. Argh. Stressful projects. :D

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 am

Oh wait, that Edgewood book counts. You should read it and tell me if I'm absolutely crazy! Came out last year.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 am

Mich, I don't need to read anything to tell you you're crazy. :P I have a pile of books still and 5 days to go but I'll definitely add it to the list of things to try for either this time or fall. Thanks for the suggestion!

Okay, Slated by Teri Terry = one of the better written YA future, government is evil and something fishy is going on here books I've read in a while. Predictable in some ways? Yes. But it still managed to be something I could take seriously and not roll my eyes at or get annoyed by constantly. That in and of itself is a godsend these days. This just became book #6 to make the list for me.

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Sword Art Online light novels. Yeah, don't hate.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 pm

I wont :wink:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/06/ ... -in-blood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^this=good
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

CarryChristSoup
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CarryChristSoup » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:10 am

What, are you a fan of SAO? I finished the episodes and wanted more, so I dove into the light novels. Super glad I did.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 pm

just read Shadows in Flight/ currently rereading cause the kindle edition sucks!! :bash: bought wrong one
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 05 May 2013

Postby Rootersfriend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:27 am

EAGLE, what do you mean the Kindle version sucks? What's wrong with it?

Also I just read Perelandria, the second book in C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, about to start the last one (That Hideous Strength) soon.

Really good series if you can handle his somewhat old timey speech at times and the fact that he tends to be very loquatious. I really like his writing style though, so it works well for me, that man knows how to paint a picture with words for sure
::Live as a villain, die as a hero::

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:14 am

Yeah, actually, that's an important question. What's wrong with it? Were the linebreaks messed up, or the chapter headings or something?

Row--row.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 am

I believe one of the Kindle versions is an abridged version.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rootersfriend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 am

That's really good to know, paperback version it is. I'd get it eventually anyways, I like to have a hard copy of all the series I really like. But that just means I won't be getting the kindle version at all haha

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:39 am

That's really good to know, paperback version it is. I'd get it eventually anyways, I like to have a hard copy of all the series I really like. But that just means I won't be getting the kindle version at all haha
There's an unabridged version for Kindle, as well. But you have to be sure to select the right one. (I only know this because I was checking out the comments for the "enhanced" version to see what I missed when I bought the hardback.)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 am

Also I just read Perelandria, the second book in C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, about to start the last one (That Hideous Strength) soon.

Really good series if you can handle his somewhat old timey speech at times and the fact that he tends to be very loquatious. I really like his writing style though, so it works well for me, that man knows how to paint a picture with words for sure
That Hideous Strength is awesome. Definitely my favorite of the series.

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rootersfriend » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:49 am

That Hideous Strength is awesome. Definitely my favorite of the series.
Good to know! I'm excited.

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rootersfriend » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:55 am

Another GREAT book that I'm rereading is called Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis (I guess I'm just on a Lewis kick until Awakens comes out haha). It's essentially Lewis' retelling of the greek myth of Cupid and Psyche, but holy froken rope Batman, it is sooo good.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:36 pm

What haven't I been reading lately? I did well on our book talks at the middle school in the spring so I've got the assignment (alongside the FT YA librarian) for the foreseeable future. Because of this, I've read 68 chapter books and 42 graphic novels, quite a few of which have been aimed at 6-8th graders, with some skewing somewhat older but still content appropriate for that age group. My holds list is as long as Josh is tall and my to-read pile seems bottomless.

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill and Viral Nation by Shaunta Grimes are the two of an eventual eight total books I'll choose for the list of 28-30 books we'll present in the fall.

The ones I'm still strongly considering:
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant - Tony Cliff (Adventure GN)
In the After - Demitria Lunetta (Sci-Fi)
Katya’s World - Jonathan Howard (Sci-fi)
Primates - Jim Ottaviani (NF GN)
Tumble and Fall - Alexandra Coutts (Apocalyptic Sci-Fi/Romance)

The ones I'm somewhat considering but will, in all likelihood, not make it:
Belle Epoque - Elizabeth Ross (Historical Romance)
Hidden - Marianne Curley (Paranormal) (<-- guilty pleasure)
Itch - Simon Mayo (Fantasy)
Nine Days - Fred Hiatt (Thriller)
Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong - Prudence Shen & Faith Erin Hicks (Realistic/Comedy/GN)
The Reluctant Assassin - Eoin Colfer (Sci-Fi)
Will & Whit - Laura Lee Gulledge (Realistic GN)

The ones I flat out refuse to consider, having read them:
Earth Girl - Janet Edwards (Sci Fi)
Some Quiet Place - Kelsey Sutton (Supernatural)
The Testing - Joelle Charbonneau (Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi)
Who is AC? - Hope Larson (Fantasy/GN)

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:35 pm

The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle

The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:44 am

This is more of a comment on the types of books I'm reading more than the actual book I'm currently on but I'm pretty sure all the dark, Sci-fi is giving me bad dreams. I had a dream the other night that I was in the ocean swimming when a whale was struck; I was hit first with waves of foamy bloody ocean and got out before the body itself washed up.

Anyway, I'm reading Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken and will try to make time, finally, for Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer to help lighten the reading content.

My actual reading list for the next few months (more will be added as I find the titles and time):

The School for Good and Evil - Soman Chainani (Fantasy)
Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell ( Realistic/Romance) (September release)
Tandem - Anna Jarzab (Sci-Fi) (October release)
Pantomime - Laura Lam (Fantasy)
Chasing Shadows - Swati Avasthi (September release)
The Program - Suzanne Young
Steelheart - Brandon Sanderson (Action/Adventure)
RASL - Jeff Smith (GN)
The Beginning of Everything - Robyn Schneider (Realistic)
Aquifer - Jonathan Friesen (Sci-Fi)
All Our Pretty Songs - Sarah McCarry (Fantasy/Romance)
Not a Drop to Drink - Mindy McGinnis (Sci-Fi)
Asylum - Madeleine Roux (Horror)
The Darkest Path - Jeff Hirsch (Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure)
Twinmaker - Sean Williams (November release)
Find Me - Romily Bernard (Thriller)
Thin Space - Jody Casella (Supernatural Thriller)
Into that Forest - Louis Nowra (Survival)
Scorched - Mari Mancusi (Fantasy/Sci-Fi)
Starry Nights - Daisy Whitney (Fantasy)
Sidekicked - John David Anderson (Fantasy)
The Ugly One - Leanne Statland Ellis (Historical Fiction)
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea - April Tucholke (Paranormal Romance)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:12 am

Just knocked out the first three books in Anne McCaffrey's Catteni/Freedom tetralogy. Anyone else read 'em?

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:33 pm

I recently read the first book in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, Soulless, mostly because I have a friend who has been reading the series and suggested it to me, although she warned me that they might not actually be very good books. Interested, I picked it up.

Turns out that it's a steampunk supernatural book, about a Victorian-era lady who has the extremely rare ability to temporarily remove supernatural blood maladies via touch, basically meaning she removes vampirism and werewolf-ness when she's touching people. And in an England that has been living with werewolves and vampires as a standard day-to-day matter for a long time, with werewolves as a major part of the justice system and vampires having their own sort of upper-class fanciness, that brings an interesting dynamic to her interactions with society.

It's written in a fun-to-read faux-Victorian speech pattern, basically the Disneyland version of the 1800s, and I find the supernatural aspect of the story pretty interesting. There's an entire system of "soul measuring" and such that weighs in to which people can be turned to vampires and werewolves and such, and the characters that embody the different aspects of the re-imagined society are interesting and fun to read about.

...and yet it all doesn't really lead anywhere. There is a very thin plot that the main character kind of half-follows until she, by complete accident, gets pulled into the climax, with no real revelations or developments beyond "oh, so this guy is why those few things happened." A lot of the rest of the novel is spent somewhat setting up the universe and developing the romance between the main character and another likable and mostly-well-written character.

Which brings us to what has really made the book stick in my mind: as I expressed my lamentations for how the novel didn't really have much in terms of actual story, my friend's husband (who is also my friend, now that I think about it) expressed the idea that maybe plot only mattered more to me because I'm not a girl, and females supposedly focus more on characters and relationships in stories. He kind of dismissed my complaints, which upset me as sexist. Either sexist against males in that I can't enjoy a simple story because I "focus on things like plot", or sexist against girls because "they can easily forgive a simple story if the characters and relationships are given focus." And then it cast me into a well of self-doubt, where I can't decide if he's being sexist (and his wife didn't want to call him out on it), or if I am a little too ready for insist that "everything can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of gender."

Anyway. I did like their relationship, don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to admit that I enjoyed reading those bits. And the relationship even manages to serve the story! But basically I'm confused and frustrated with something, and I can't put my finger on what, and I'm not even sure if it's the book's fault.

So basically I recommend it so that someone else can tell me how to feel about the book.

Oh, it also has the cheesiest 3D-modelled cover ever.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:41 am

Awww, that was the cutest post ever. But I'm not going to read your book, sorry. :stoned:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rootersfriend » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:59 am

So at the recommendation of my friend (who has turned me on to most of the series I love most, ie Old Man's War series, and a few others) I just started a booked called The Engines Of God by Jack McDevitt. I'm only a few chapters in but I really like it so far. It jumps around a bit at first, and I'm having to go back and forth to remember "who that species was, or that person's role was, or which plan X,Y, or Z was on" etc...But I think once I get those all solidified in my mind I am going to really like it. Anyone else read this series or anything else by him?

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Finished reading Ender's Game again. (How many times is this now? I can't even close to remember.) This time, it's for book club, which meets this thursday. I've been trying to get them to read it for years. Now that they finally did, I'm feeling really nervous about the night! What if they hate it? What if I don't remember details correctly and show myself for an Enderlover fraud? Gah! (I know....I'm ridiculous.)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:59 pm

I hope they love it, Steph. I'm also glad they finally gave in.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:11 pm

I just finished reading the Divergent trilogy, ending with Allegiant. I don't know what I thought of this last one but I didn't like the ending. I didn't expect a *happy* ending exactly but I didn't really expect that either. Hrmph. Not a good way to end the night.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:27 pm

I feel like Allegiant was much better than Insurgent about being all over the place and hard to follow but neither lived up to Divergent. As for the event you're referring to, I didn't actually believe it was the case until the book ended and sure enough, that's what really happened. A considerable part of me really appreciate that it was Joss Whedon-esque in that sense and that no one is truly safe.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:15 pm

If anyone wants to participate in what I'll call the Grad School Read-Along...my reading schedule for the next few months:

January 26 - February 1

WEEK 2 - January 28

Introduction to Young Adults and YA Materials

The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
King Dork, by Frank Portman

February 2 - February 8

WEEK 3 - February 4

A Brief History of Young Adults and Young Adult Literature

Seventeenth Summer, by Maureen Daly
The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton
Weetzie Bat, by Francesca Lia Block

February 9 - February 15

WEEK 4 - February 11

Independence: On Their Own/The Journey

Bucking the Sarge, by Christopher Paul Curtis
A Step From Heaven, by An Na

February 16 - February 22

WEEK 5 - February 18

Integrity: Making Moral Choices

The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson

February 23 - March 1

WEEK 6 - February 25

Intelligence: Reaching Understanding

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
An Island Like You, by Judith Ortiz Cofer

March 2 - March 8

WEEK 7 - LEEP Weekend (On-Campus Meeting: Sunday, March 2)

Nonfiction; Comics, Graphic Novels, & Visual Literacy

Understanding Comics, by Scott McCloud
American Born Chinese, by Gene Luen Yang
*Another YA graphic novel of your choice*

Choose one of the following:
Bomb: The Race to Build, and Steal, the World's Most Dangerous Weapon, by Steve Sheinkin
Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice, by Phillip Hoose

March 9 - March 15

WEEK 8 - March 11

Identity: A Sense of Self

Monster, by Walter Dean Myers
I am J, by Cris Beam

March 16 - March 22

WEEK 9 - March 18

Intimacy: Love and Relationships

Boy Meets Boy, by David Levithan
Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell
The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away, by Frances O'Roark Dowell

March 23 - March 29

WEEK 10 - April 1

Contemporary Realistic Fiction

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie
The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green
Outrunning the Darkness, by Anne Schraff

April 6 - April 12

WEEK 11 - April 8

Science Fiction, Cyberpunk, Steampunk

Feed, by M.T.Anderson
Etiquette & Espionage, by Gail Carriger

April 13 - April 19

WEEK 12 - April 15

Fantasy, Horror, and the Supernatural

Mort, by Terry Pratchett
Graceling, by Kristin Cashore

Choose one of the following:
The Walking Dead, Book 1, by Robert Kirkman
Blood and Chocolate, by Annette Curtis Klause

April 20 - April 26

WEEK 13 - April 22

War, Survival, and Adventure

Fallen Angels, by Walter Dean Myers
Beauty Queens, by Libba Bray

April 27 - May 3

WEEK 14 - April 29

The YA/Adult Connection

Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Oh, that might be fun! Let's all tag along to Alea's class!

(I just bought the first few on Kindle, so that I can at least try to play along.)

BlackSummerDreams
Launchie
Launchie

Postby BlackSummerDreams » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:29 am

I've read ender's game to children of the mind over the course of the last 2 weeks so I'm like super new to the fan community here, I read ender's shadow yesterday and right now I'm reading The shadow of the Hegemon - I reeeally love all of card's works in the ender universe that I've read so far so if there's any comments or recommends you might have for books or series similar to them please let me know! :P

BlackSummerDreams
Launchie
Launchie

Postby BlackSummerDreams » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:31 am

I've read ender's game to children of the mind over the course of the last 2 weeks so I'm like super new to the fan community here, I read ender's shadow yesterday and right now I'm reading The shadow of the Hegemon - I reeeally love all of card's works in the ender universe that I've read so far so if there's any comments or recommends you might have for books or series similar to them please let me know! :P

Return to “Milagre Town Square”