Relationships aren't *all* bad...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:05 pm

Ok, I've been married for 5 years, and I must admit I have the most awesome husband in the world. I get grumpy at him, and he at me, but we do our best to realize that we are going through phases, or whatever. He does put up with a lot of crud from me, yes, but when asked, he says I'm the one putting up with him.
He's a really hard worker, really patient with me when I get grumpy. Yeah. I could go on and on, but Good thread. I love my husband.

He also is the one to introduce me to EG. I hadn't heard of it, and his screen name for years has been Ender, so I read his copy, and voila!
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:41 pm

I suppose this is the best place to go for relationship advice...

Here's my problem. I really like my boyfriend, he's a big sweetheart and we go out with friends and spend a good amount of time together. But he didn't have to work to get me into a relationship. We started as friends with benefits, and neither of us wanted more than that but we just happened to both really like each other. So we started dating.

The silly thing is, and I know it shouldn't bother me, is that there really isn't any romance. Every once in a while he does something cute and cuddly, but it's really stupid things, like... he's never taken me on a date. We went out to dinner about a week ago. We go out all the time with friends, but he's never once paid for me. Or even offered. Which sounds really materialistic, but I don't mean it to come off that way. I pay for things every once in a while, buy dinner or I'll get him a drink at the club, but he doesn't unless I don't have money with me. I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.

His family doesn't know about me at all. Doesn't even know I exist, or that he's seeing anyone. And when I leave the occasional comment on his Facebook, he never responds. He will with everyone else, though.

I know he's capable of being romantic. I hear the stories about him and other girls. He's told me, his roommates have told me... it just never happens with me. It's all a bunch of stupid little things that add up.

I guess I just feel like he is trying not to make any sort of permanent record in case he decides to get rid of me. That he doesn't like me as much as I like him.

I don't even know what I want out of this post. There isn't really any advice that can be given in this situation, I think... I feel like an idiot for even letting it bother me.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:00 pm

Have you had the "relationship" talk? Are you officially bf/gf? If so, I think you could tell him that you wish his family knew about you or whatever. You don't have to mention all these things at once but you should definitely start somewhere. If you are in a relationship, you have every right to ask that your wants/needs be met. And believe me, he isn't going to know what they are unless you tell him. We often wish they could read our minds but they really and truly can't. You might be surprised at how willing he is to do some of those things but just hasn't thought of them on his own. Let us know!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:02 pm

And if what Luet said doesn't work, you can always try kneecapping him. One would be amazed by the persuasive powers of a baseball bat.

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:05 pm

We're official and the family thing really doesn't bother me. We're in college, I know he's got a strange family life. That was just me listing anything and everything that's a little off about the relationship.

It really is the fact that he's never had, or tried, to romance me at all. And I know he has with other women.
Last edited by Petra on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Ouch, Petra, I know that one. My ex did that. I would comment on his LJ, and he'd respond to every comment but mine. After we broke up, I went through and deleted all of them (one of the most psycho things I ever did), and it was really disheartening to see how little my deleting comments was even noticable.

I don't know what you can do, other than try to talk to him...
Last edited by anonshadow on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:09 pm

Well, try it with something else...ya gotta start somewhere. He's probably not going to change on his own. Who knows, maybe those other girls had to prompt him too. And don't present it as what he is doing wrong but as things that would be nice for you, or whatever. You know, preserve that fragile ego thingy that they got going on.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:58 pm

I have decided that he must read Pweb or something. How does he fix things so quickly?

He told me that earlier today when I was sad he almost left Tampa with his family to come steal me from work, get turkey subs from Publix and a bottle of cheap champagne and have a picnic. Granted, he didn't because it would've stranded them without a car, but... he wanted to.

And he doesn't know what to get me for Christmas. :)

And and and... he called me twice today.

And his sister knows about me. And she said hi.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:43 pm

It's a good start! Keep is informed...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”