Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Re: Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:10 am

You Lutherans are weird. You and your consubstantiation!

The corollary of that is that one who believes in transubstantiation (the technical term for the Catholic beliefs regarding the Eucharist) should not profane it by treating any lesser (so-perceived) ritual with a similar reverence to that of the Eucharist.
I get what you're saying, dearest, and I appreciate the "so-perceived" - but as someone who believes in the real, divine presence at Holy Communion and approaches it with as much reverence as I could imagine any Catholic does, the use of the word "lesser" is really rubbing me the wrong way.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:15 am

I'm sorry, I was trying to describe the theology as inoffensively as I could. Would, um, "less complete" be better? As I understand consubstantiation, there is something of the bread and wine that is retained after consecration, as opposed to with transubstantiation.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:41 am

Yes, I guess that is less offensive, although it's theologically misleading. It's not like it's 90% body and blood, 10% bread and wine, download incomplete. It's more like being both a wave and a particle at the same time.

I don't know. I mean, having grown up LCMS, I get what you're saying as far as why certain exclusions apply, but seeing it referred to that way made me all, "Imma let you finish, but Luther started the best Eucharistic tradition of all time!" :)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Well, it's consubstantial, partaking of both the substance of the bread and wine as well as the substance of Christ, in the same way that Christ is consubstantial with the Father. Christ and the Father are distinct from each other, but they partake of the same substance (thus Christ is begotten of the Father, not created).

Or more simply put, just as Jesus is both fully human and fully divine, so the elements of communion are fully Christ and fully bread and wine. This would be more accurate, I expect?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Yes, beautifully expressed.

Or, more simply, if you ask a Lutheran and a Catholic, "Are the consecrated elements of communion the body and blood of Christ?" Both will say, "Yes."

If you ask them, "Are the consecrated elements still bread and wine?" The Lutheran will say "yes" and the Catholic will say "no."

In terms of questions I don't want to Google, I was really surprised last year when one of you told me that drinking wine wasn't necessary for communion in the Catholic church. I know the priest being the one to drink the wine was an objection of Luther's, and just figured y'all would've seen the error of your ways since ( ;) ). But, really, I am curious why that is, since doesn't the Scripture in question say, "Drink of it, all of you?" Is it a reason based in Tradition? Or just a different interpretation of the relevant verses?
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 pm

If I recall correctly, the wine was stopped for common use to combat a heresy which stated that unless you partook of both elements, communion was not valid. The wine was chosen to be withheld instead of the bread because if you drop it, bread is easier to pick up. Then, a few hundred years later at Vatican II, they realised that people have probably gotten the message by now that having just one of the two still counts as valid communion and we can go back to letting the common folk receive both elements. Not all parishes have really gotten on board with it, though.

I'm pretty sure that's how it worked, but I could be making stuff up by accident as I also cannot be bothered to look it up.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Okay, I'm not understanding why that was heresy?
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Well, I mean, I guess I kind of do understand - I have no idea if there's an official stance on that, because I don't think just taking bread occurs to anyone. But, I mean, if I just had bread for some reason, it's not like I think God would say, "No grace for you!" But I guess I don't get why it was such a big deal that it precluded taking wine. I do appreciate your answer, though, it does explain a good bit.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm

"No grace for you!"
It would almost be worth becoming a pastor just to say that to someone. Okay not really, because that is terribly rude and sacrilegious. But it would be a little bit funny. I could say it randomly now, but I don't think it would carry the same weight coming from a crazy person on the street.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Rei did a better job of it than I, clearly. :stoned:

I hope you know, Kirsten, that Lutherans are among my favourite Protestants because of how they retain a sacramental theology of communion.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Okay, I'm not understanding why that was heresy?
While I am aware of the fact that modern reasons may not have occurred to the medievals who called it a heresy, if it were permitted to spread and become a popular teaching, alcoholics would be barred from receiving communion, or their communion would be imperfect. The same would be true of people with wheat allergies. For that matter, if the wine ran out before everyone had received communion, then anybody who had not yet received it would no longer be able to receive communion in its fullness. (It's easier to consecrate an excess of the bread than it is the wine.) That is why it is important that receiving even the tiniest quantity of a single element counts as fully receiving communion.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:44 pm

I'll preface this by saying I haven't been a practicing Catholic in a very long time, but for me there always seemed to be a couple reasons. I belonged to an incredibly large parish when I was younger, like tens of thousands large. So it just seemed like a numbers issue. We had an upper and lower church and there were two masses going on simultaneously for each weekend time slot. It just seemed to me that there would have to be a giant cauldron full of wine for every mass to ensure everyone would have the opportunity to receive. Also, people with allergies, alcoholics, children or people who just abhor alcohol in any form being the second reason. The only time that I have ever seen the wine offered during a Catholic mass was during a small, intimate ceremony.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:51 pm

That is just strange to me. I'm not saying it's not valid or wrong, it's just a sort of, "By the way, on our planet, did you know the sky is green?" I actually assisted serving at a national youth convention with 28,000 people. They all got wine, far as I know. When I was pregnant, I had grape juice, which is offered weekly for those who require (as are gluten-free wafers.)

Though, again, Luther was pretty unhappy about the priests only having wine, so it makes sense our tradition would place emphasis on it being available for all.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:52 pm

And then there were people like me who didn't mind the idea of church wine and had no allergies but abstained on the basis that I didn't trust God to zap the germs from all the backwash of people who drank before me, nor did I trust the little towelette to clean the goblet my lips were touching that touched so many others' lips.

I do not consider myself a germophobe otherwise.

Also, I was able to have wine as soon as I had my first holy communion.

ETA: I like that in the Mormon services I've been to, you get individual servings. That would have been okay with me.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Yeah. We give people choice of common cup or individual poured from a (separate) common cup.

So, related question. If someone can't have bread, but can drink wine, is that allowed/valid?
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:41 pm

For Catholics? Absolutely.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:32 am

I was reading an article on CNN about the murders in Albuquerque and had a question. Why is killing a child charged as child abuse resulting in death? Is that a New Mexico thing? Does it carry a heavier weight than simple murder? It seems like an odd phrase to me.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:15 pm

So my mom just got a new computer with windows 8, she and her rommie are not really computer people and would like it to look/function more like windows 7 without the tiles and such. anyone know how to "turn off" the windows 8 display and have a normal ish windows 7 desktop.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm

But why?! Windows 8 is so much more intuitive and better! It's prettier and easier and oh so much cooler than Windows 7! Nobody in their right minds wouldn't like the Metro UI over any other Windows UI, and if they don't they are just resistance to change. I can't see a single reason why you wouldn't prefer the Windows 8 UI.

On a tablet.

But seriously, this article seems pretty good. A couple of the solutions require installing mods, so they might require tech assistance to get it working.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:27 am

I find that the easiest way to get Windows 8 to look and operate like Windows 7 is just to ignore Metro (the tiles) and just go to the desktop. Seriously, metro is just a full screen version of the old Start menu, but the Windows 8 desktop looks and functions exactly like the Windows 7 version without the Start button in the corner. Windows 8 may boot up in the Metro UI, but one click and you're in the familiar desktop and don't need to go back to the Start screen unless you're searching for something or running a mobile app.

But yes, Microsoft should have given users the option of booting directly into the desktop, and/or a using a "classic" version of the Start menu.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 am

The article has a bunch of good suggestions (some of them unnecessary in my mind), but I pretty much echo Neo with one small caveat. I downloaded an app to add the start menu back. It can be found here:
http://www.classicstart8.com/
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 pm

thanks boys. I sent her the link the Mich's article and told her to just do the first 2 or 3 things the start menu and getting rid if the tiles. those seemed like the things that were bothering her the most.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm

I win!

Okay, new question, for the ladiiiiiies. This could really go in any number of threads, but whatever.

Say you are tasked with designing the main characters for a mainstream video game, but with the goal for attracting as many females as possible. For example, a new Gears of War, or Uncharted, or Legend of Zelda (. I've generally been saying "an action-heavy first- or third-person-shooter" so that we stick with more realistic designs, but whatever.

How would you design the characters?

I mainly ask because the discussion of "male power fantasies" comes up a lot in terms of character design for video games, where it is argued that the male characters are normally muscle-bound and extremely masculine, while females are generally overly sexualized and feminine. So I wonder what would be a "female power fantasy" in terms of video game characters, you dig? And who better to ask than the few ladies that may be willing to indulge my amazingly broad question? Are "power fantasies" even a good way of attracting female demographics?

Also typing "male power fantasy" into Google Images is a fun idea for the whole family.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 am

I win!

Okay, new question, for the ladiiiiiies. This could really go in any number of threads, but whatever.

Say you are tasked with designing the main characters for a mainstream video game, but with the goal for attracting as many females as possible. For example, a new Gears of War, or Uncharted, or Legend of Zelda (. I've generally been saying "an action-heavy first- or third-person-shooter" so that we stick with more realistic designs, but whatever.

How would you design the characters?

I mainly ask because the discussion of "male power fantasies" comes up a lot in terms of character design for video games, where it is argued that the male characters are normally muscle-bound and extremely masculine, while females are generally overly sexualized and feminine. So I wonder what would be a "female power fantasy" in terms of video game characters, you dig? And who better to ask than the few ladies that may be willing to indulge my amazingly broad question? Are "power fantasies" even a good way of attracting female demographics?

Also typing "male power fantasy" into Google Images is a fun idea for the whole family.
Looks like they didn't take up the challenge, Mich :mrgreen:
I have to say, though, that characters like Brienne come as attractive to me. When i read about her fighting, and her moral integrity and her success against her own insecurities and her raw badassness... well, i can understand how Jaime feels :D

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:03 am

Okay, new question, one that Google could not answer:

I have sent a large letter manilla envelope to Kingston, ON, from Portland, OR, to a person I don't really know but trust to at least tell me if they received it. I sent it via USPS. Does anyone have any idea how long that would normally take to send? I was guessing a maximum of five days, but it has been at least ten, now. I don't want to contact the recipient, because it's kind of a secret Santa thing and I don't want to spoil the illusion.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:22 pm

I have terrible experiences when sending packets to the US x_x 2 out of 3 didn't arrive...

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:52 am

Mich, has it been ten business days or just ten days? I would give it at least ten business days before starting to worry.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 am

Both US and Canada Post are pretty frustrating, but I'm surprised it has taken that long to get to Ontario. But, like Luet said, I'd give it a bit more time before I got worried.

Any chance it's got something in it that would have trouble clearing customs?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:05 am

I believe I sent it last Monday, so it has now been ten business days, officially. All it had in it was seven (7) pages from one half-burnt script of the "final" episode of the Flintstones (fake), one (1) fake legal letter explaining why it was being sent to that person, and one (1) paperclip. So unless it managed to catch back on fire, or faked legal letters are now unable to cross the border, it should be fine.

Row--row.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 am

Update! The person received my package a week ago, they just did not actually get it until today, due to apparently being in college and having it delivered to their home address. They were very excited! Yay!

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 am

Yay!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 pm

Ho,
so I am working on a website with a friend and I was wondering how do you view the html code as website format if using the notepad application on google docs. Is it even possible or do you need to copy paste into a regular notepad app then open with a browser? That would be ironic if to open a website in the proper online format you needed to go offline.
Crazy computer!!!!
-Terresa
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 am

I have never built a website using Google Docs, but just from experimentation, if you download it and then manually rename it to end in ".html" it should open as an HTML document.

Row--row.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:36 pm

I tried that and it didn't work, but if you right click and go to show details then it will show a preview of the formatting which is helpful.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Oh, so are you "building" the website as in laying out the format in a document? I'm sorry, I thought you were doing the actual HTML coding in a shared doc, since you specifically talked about a notepad application. Which I apparently cannot find.

So, uh, Google may be your friend, in this case. Because I'm completely lost. Did the formatting preview help?

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”