Physical Description?

What do you think is happening with film production? How do you think things will look? What are options for sequels? Show us your own Movie Posters and Trailers here!
luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Physical Description?

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:14 am

I can't find very much physical description of anyone at all in Card's books. He says on his website that he doesn't think visually, and that he wishes he did. He says that he thinks more of a low-detail map in his head. That explains why his description of the Battle Room and Battleschool in general is so vivid, yet his description of characters is almost nonexistant.

Anyway, I was wondering how you pictured each character?

Here's what I've always thought:

Graff: Tall, black, bald
Ender: Shorter than average, brown hair brown eyes
Valentine: average height, blonde hair blue eyes
Peter: Like Ender, but taller and more of an oval-shaped head
Bean: Short (duh), brown hair, strongly influenced by Ender's Shadow cover art even though Card openly stated that he hated that art.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:08 pm

A friend & I were discussing this once and he pointed out to me that I didn't envision any blondes at battle school. I described everyone with dark hair.

I'm pretty certain that conversation was sparked by OSC's textbook on characterization. He downplays physical description in that book. He even claimed to have written a story without including the looks of the female protaganist.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:01 pm

I've always seen Graff as more of a Phillip Seymore Hoffman type person. There's a picture of Graff in the short story book First Meetings where he is a squinty eyed, square jaw white man who looks pretty built and a little old.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:18 pm

Card openly disdains just about all of the artwork released about the series, especially the cover art. XD

Also, I am re-reading Shadow of the Giant right now and found a passage that says Bean's hair is black.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:24 pm

Isn't Bean's father Greek & his mother African? That give him dark hair and dark skin.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:35 pm

Card openly disdains just about all of the artwork released about the series, especially the cover art. XD

Also, I am re-reading Shadow of the Giant right now and found a passage that says Bean's hair is black.
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure the picture of Graff is accurate.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Bean's grandma was African. He is lighter than a Thai according to Shadow Puppets, but dark enough that the Rwandans in SotG don't see him as a white boy.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:28 am

Good point. Never put that together.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:41 am

Wow. That has a bunch to do with EG.

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:13 am

I pictured Bonzo with red hair.... does anyone recall whether it was mentioned if he had red hair or not?
Fight the machine!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:32 pm

I pictured Bonzo with red hair.... does anyone recall whether it was mentioned if he had red hair or not?
I always imagined black hair, but it doesn't say anything about either.
A boy stood there, tall and dark and slender, with beautiful black eyes and slender lips that hinted at refinement.
I think that's the only description given in EG.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:17 pm

He's Hispanic, suggesting black hair. Also, the picture of Bonzo on "Pretty Boy" (short story about Bonzo on Intergalactic Medicine Show) has black hair. Unlike the books, Card actually has power over what pictures go on that site.

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Hmmm wonder why I thought red hair. lol Either way he's prolly always going to have red hair when I read the books.
Fight the machine!

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:05 pm

I imagine Bean with that kind of light olive skin that could be from almost everywhere, which is one reason he blends in as well as he does.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:36 pm

I didn't think about this much when I was first reading the books, but I've thought about it quite a bit since then. I've discovered unless it's vital to the plot, I generally envision the characters with whatever personal perceptions I had at the time of their introduction and am often later a bit taken off guard when their physical descriptions come back into play.
Putting the P in Pweb since 2001

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:49 pm

Card has mentioned in various interviews and other things that he's not a visual thinker. I'm not so sure even he knows what half the characters look like :P

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:43 pm

I know what he means - I have no idea what I think any of the characters look

akrolsmir
Launchie
Launchie

Postby akrolsmir » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:47 pm

Isn't graff supposed to be somewhat fat?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:13 am

Isn't graff supposed to be somewhat fat?
At certain points, yes. As I recall, he wasn't fat at first; at least, not too noticeably so. From EG:
Ender tried to remember. Graff hadn't seemed particularly fat at when Ender first met him, only four years ago.
As Ender progresses in Battle School Graff gets rather fat, to the point of where apparently his belly spills over both armests even when sitting straight up. But near the end of EG he's slimmer again.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

randomicicle
Launchie
Launchie

Postby randomicicle » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:49 pm

I'm kindain a rush, so couldn't read the whole thread. It was funny because I was just talking with my sister about that. It was like.. the actors are going to be pretty random (if they ever do the movie) since the physical descriptions are rather open.

For what I can recall, Bean was "mediterranean" -whatever that exactly means- and Alai was black (not sure though, I just remember one of his soldiers calling him black dog, so I guess he was more black than arab). As for the Wiggins, guess they're... typical white people? However they're suppossed to "typically" look.
- 'I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one.'

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re:

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:46 am

I'm kindain a rush, so couldn't read the whole thread. It was funny because I was just talking with my sister about that. It was like.. the actors are going to be pretty random (if they ever do the movie) since the physical descriptions are rather open.

For what I can recall, Bean was "mediterranean" -whatever that exactly means- and Alai was black (not sure though, I just remember one of his soldiers calling him black dog, so I guess he was more black than arab). As for the Wiggins, guess they're... typical white people? However they're suppossed to "typically" look.
while John Paul Wiggin was Polish...
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: Physical Description?

Postby Boothby » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Polish, from personal experience, tends to point towards a rounder, flatter face, black hair (with flecks of grey as one ages, trending towards white). Or tending towards NO hair as one ages.....
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Return to “Ender's Game Movie Rumors, Speculation and Fan Art”