Things that I love

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: Things that I love

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:31 pm

I have a problem where I just buy them things I like for them without really knowing if they would or not. <_<
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am

I love Captain Awkward. Reading her advice has changed my life, I swear. I have realized, through reading her, that I am in control of my own interactions with the world - specifically through social media.
If I find myself annoyed with someone, or having negative feelings every time they post something, I can hide them from my feed. If a story makes me feel negatively, hide it. I don't feel any sort of guilt about hiding things from people - it doesn't even mean I don't like that person, it just means I don't like how they do xyz on social media.
It has been seriously freeing.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 am

I can tell that I'll be spending many future hours reading that site. Thanks! :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:28 pm

I love Halloween. Usually I don't get this much into the Halloween spirit, but after going to a haunted house and a corn maze this last week, I'm feeling pretty spirited. If only I had cute decorations for my apartment...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:10 am

I'm feeling pretty inspired for Christmas. I think my family thought I was joking about being a bit confused by the weather, since the October weather here is Dec/Jan AZ weather, but I've been pestering them about wish lists enough that I think they believe me now.

It's too early to start decorating for that but man, I want to stay home all day and make Christmas things to add glitter to.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Popcorn

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Popcorn
YES!

Man, now I want some. But I think my Dr. Pepper float may take precedence, and I haven't been productive enough today to deserve both.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm

I made multiple babies laugh this morning. Best. Feeling. Ever.

(Before baby story time, I had my bear puppet friend, Butterscotch, and we were tickling the little people.)

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Butterscotch?
Now i want to see pics of butterscotch! :o

Dunno, that name just clicked on me XD

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 pm

I'll try to remember to snap a picture of him tomorrow. He lives at the library. :)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:51 pm

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy this was a short week. I think I worked harder in the last 7 days than in the 3 works before them put together. And that was with a long weekend and a cancelled class on Wednesday.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:59 pm

This afternoon I was crossing the road on my 4 wheeler and stopped to talk to my partner and he pointed for me to look behind me and in the pasture next to our house a niceish 3pointer was standing there looking at us. So I went out to the woods to put a propane tank in a big treehouse like hunt blind( my dad 's coming and cant take the cold well) and just when I was shutting it down a verry nice 6x4 buck stood up looked at me walked 10 more steps and layed down again . He would'nt get up to walk off till I was less than 25 feet away. There just so tame It would not seem too sporting , I need to zoom around out there a bit to put some fear into them.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 am

I'll try to remember to snap a picture of him tomorrow. He lives at the library. :)
weeee!

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:06 am

Half-day today, just because I can! I think this is the first time in the 3 years I've been working here that I've taken time off just to have time off. No travelling, no holiday stress, just a long weekend :D

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:56 am

I will not fall asleep alone tonight; my boy is back from Europe this evening. :frolic:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 pm

:dance: Happy day!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:02 pm

I love this song. We listen to it at least once a day these days. Ginny's obsessed with it.

One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Disneyland!

Some notes that might be helpful to Steph:

There's an app for that. Check for Disneyland apps, I have a 'wait time' app on my phone that tells me what the current wait time is for all the rides in the park. There's also a Disney Dining app that can make it easier to make reservations for where you want to eat in the Disneyland/Cal Adventure/Downtown Disney area.

Indiana Jones is closed down for something and may not be up and running for your visit.

Sticker shock, everything is expensive, especially the food, and Downtown Disney is possibly worse/more expensive than Disneyland. But you can bring in your own bottles of water, so long as they're sealed/unopened, so that's a good way to save some money, a bottle of water in the parks is 2.99.

Get to Disneyland/California Adventure early, be there at open. There are two reasons for this. one is Fast Pass for Cars Land Racers. The other is the opportunity to ride rides from 8-12 before the parks get really packed.

When you get your tickets/enter the park make sure and let them know it's your kids's first visit, they'll all get big buttons that say it's their first time. Buttons are cool in general, but it also makes sure the cast members at the parks go out of their way to be awesome to your kids (you can probably get a button for your belly too, if you ask. ;))

Fast Pass lets you strategize and plan your day better, imo, it gives you more flexibility and keeps you from having stand in line as much.

And it's included in the price of your ticket. having a fast pass for a ride lets you bypass the vast majority of the line. Not all the rides have fast passes, just the most popular rides. Every ticket can get fast passes, but you can only get one fast pass every couple hours, your fast pass will say when you can get another fast pass, usually it will be in 1-2 hours that you can acquire another fast pass.

Disneyland has kiosks, usually near the ride, where you can put in your park ticket and it will print you out a fast pass. So if steph has all the tickets she can put them in at the kiosk one after the other and get fast passes for everyone (or if someone can't ride a ride, but someone else can, extra fass passes for the person who can ride the ride). The fast pass ticket says, please return between the following times to ride the ride. That's not true. The fast pass becomes active at the first time and stays active until the end of the day. For example, we had Star Tours fast passes that said to return between 3pm and 4pm and we did not use the fast pass until 10pm. Cast members will take any pass so long as the first time has arrived. We could not have used the Star Tours fast past at 2pm, but it was active until the end of the day after 3pm. Printing the range is just meant to encourage people to return in a given time, and if you read the fine print on the back, it doesn't say anything about expiring, so you are entirely good to use it any time that is convenient to you once the first time has arrived. You can check with any cast member and they will tell you the same thing, you can use your fast pass any time after the first time has arrived.

When you get to the entrance of the ride, there should be signs directing you to the 'stand by' line or the 'fast pass return' line, take the fast pass return, you'll walk past 90% of the line and only have a 5-10 minute wait for most rides.

Each fast pass ride has a limited number of fast passes for the day, I've only ever seen one ride run out of fast passes, the Cars Land Racers. We went in at 8:20 and the fast pass return was already up to 2:30, our companions said that the Cars Land Racers ride usually runs out of Fast Passes by 10AM most days and the line is 2 hours long without a fast pass!

So, optimal strategy, presuming your boys like the movie Cars, Get Fast Passes for the Racers right away. If you want to try to ride racers right away, the line at open should be relatively short (if it's not, I'd try riding other rides in the park before it gets busy rather than standing in line when almost all the rides have no lines that early in the day). There's two other rides in cars land, a tires ride and and a Mater ride, I hear both are really fun but I didn't ride them yesterday. The racers ride is a blast, a nice mix of a kind of traditional Disney Pirates of the Carribbean type of ride that then becomes an exciting, race with another car at the end.

The other best ride in California Adventure is the Toy Story Midway, it has no fast pass line, so it'd be a good one to try to get on early in the day. This is a 3D 'shooter' ride, where you ride in little cars that take you from screen to screen and you play a midway esque game at each different screen. You don't shoot by pulling a trigger, instead you tug a string at the back of your 'cannon' and however many times and however fast you pull it determines how fast you throw rings, or darts, or balls or eggs at various targets. There's a lot of variety from game to game. For instance one game had a volcano, and was a 'throw darts at balloons' game, some of the balloons in the far background on the volcano looked like lava trails and had high point values, if you successfully popped those balloons, more lava baloons would show up and if you kept popping the lava ones the volcano eventually erupts balloons which gets you a lot of points. On most of the games if you aim at high value targets and keep hitting them you usually unlock 'secrets', or if you hit all the targets in an area it will cause the game to respond, so if you hit all the targets in a cloud it might make it rain, which might result in a rainbow. and so on and so forth. I find it really fun. :D

We found out at the end of the day that there are fast passes for World of Color, so you might ask cast members about those, it might be a better way to get decent seats for world of color than doing a 'reserved' seating through a disney dining cross promotion.

Star Tours is popular, but not the most popular thing in the park. What we did was get our fast passes for Racers and then leave California Adventure, and go into Disneyland, we were able to walk right on Star tours as the wait was less than 15 minutes that early in the day. It's now in 3D and pretty freaking sweet! Our first one was pretty awesome, Darth Vader tried to stop us leaving using the force, then we escaped to hyperspace and came out of hyperspace at Kashyyk. we briefly saw Chewbacca and then blasted through the forests of Kashyyk ala the speeder chase from Return of the Jedi. Then we left Kashyyk and ran into Boba Fett, we tried to lose him the asteroid field esque rings of a saturn-like planet so we dodged in and out of various asteroids for a while then jumped to hyperspeed again. I can't remember the last destination, but something cool happened there and we finally delivered our rebel spy safe and sound.

The second time we did star tours at the end of the day was even better than the first one (despite no vader, fett or chewie on this one). This time we escaped some storm troopers and dodged out to lightspeed. We arrived at Hoth in the middle of the battle, after dodging some ATATs and taking some fire we tried to escape but didn't quite make it over a snow embankment, for a bit we teetered on the brink and then fell into a steep canyon run that was basically like being in a toboggan and was pretty much the most fun of any of the star tours things we did. Then you shoot out of the toboggon into mid air but the engines fail and we start falling falling falling backwards to the ground. Never fear, though, Artoo got the engines going in the nick of time and we blast out of the ravine and head back to outerspace. We jump to lightspeed again and exit at Coruscant, At the Battle of Coruscant. We weave in and out of all sorts of Imperial ships, but get hit and plunge headfirst straight towards the planet, Artoo pulls us out of the dive just in time and we dodge and weave through all the city traffic crazyness before crash landing on a platform that just happens to be where we need to be to deliver our rebel spy safe and sound.

After we left Star Tours, we went and got on Space Mountain, since it was just past nine, we only had to wait about 20 minutes. Space Mountain was redone to a pretty scary Halloween iteration, but it's still so freaking cool of a ride. We left space mountain and walked over to Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, there was a less than five minute wait here, and I got my best score yet. Protip, aim at the triangles and diamonds, they have the highest point values, though sometimes you need to hit a round or square target that is blocking a higher point value target. We left Buzz Lightyear and got on Autopia with probably just a twenty minute wait. You can see the advantage of getting there early, we managed to do almost every Tomorrowland ride before 10AM.

Then we walked across the park to Adventureland, got fast passes for The Haunted Mansion, and got in line for the Thunder mountain roller coaster. That only had about a twenty minute wait. Then we got on Pirates, which is always a pretty short wait (about twenty minutes) and after that, our fast passes for Haunted Mansion were ready, so we went and did that, came out and decided to go get lunch.

After lunch we went back to California Adventure, did the Racers ride and Toy Story midway and spent most of the rest of the afternoon there.

California Adventure has an ice cream store next to the starbucks where they hand dip ice cream bars for you. You choose the ice cream, they dip it and then roll it in topping, Renee got a vanilla ice cream dipped in chocolate and rolled in sprinkles. It was amazing. I highly recommend it, as I think the ice cream is better than the decadent sundaes across the way at Disneyland.

I don't have any big preference on park dining, most of the meals are pretty good, and it's all expensive. My favorite 'treat' at Disneyland is the hand dipped corn dog. This is only in Disneyland, they don't do them at the corndog stand in California Adventure. These are so good it is ridiculous. They dip the hot dogs in batter and fry them right there. So it's fresh and tasty and amazing. And only five dollars (the sign doesn't say that, but if you just get the corn dog, no chips, it's only 4.99, the sign says 6.19, which includes a bag of chips). Renee was VERY skeptical got two bites of mine and a few hours later we were back at the corn dog stand so she could get her own. It's not really a meal, but it's damn tasty. The corn dog stand is kinda hard to find, if you don't know it's there you'll pass it every time. Walk into the park and you walk down Main STreet USA. When Main Street comes to an End and opens to the big central plaza, look to your right and you'll see a bright red truck, and a sign that says Hand Dipped Corn Dogs.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Fantastic information! Thank you for sharing, Adam.

My friend just returned from disney also and said fast passes for Cars were gone in an hour the day they were there. I'm nervous about getting a spot, as we have early perks at Disney every morning. I hope we don't have to stand in line for 2 hours! (although I heard it's worth it of you have to.)

I'll have to see if they let me on Star Tours, as it's on their ”pregnant no” list. But I've read that some cast members will let you on if you don't have nausea issue. I read about Indiana Jones being closed, which sucks for Brian. The kids are too short and I'm pregnant, so he would have been all on his own. I can't remember everything on the pregnancy list (there are 8 rides, I think?), but luckily they are the types of rides I generally don't care for anyway. (except the 2 mentioned above!)

I already dl an app on my phone. I'll see if I like it when I'm there and try a new one if I don't.

Hopefully we'll be able to streamline our experience and have a great time! Thanks again for the tips!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 pm

I've never been to Disneyland, but I've been to Disney World many, many times.

touringplans.com has an app that was perfect for our last trip. (They have one for both Disneyland and Disney World, I believe.) They also help you get an idea of the best way to maximize your day and minimize your wait times. (You can design your own touring plan, use one of their pre-set plans, etc. Some people follow them to the letter. We used ours as a general guide only.) We were there during one of the busier times of the year and never waited longer than half an hour to ride anything. It has current wait times (including officially posted wait times, and wait times submitted by other users at the park), fastpass return times, etc.

I don't remember what is subscription-only content and what is free content, but the subscription is less than $10/year (cheaper with a coupon or referral, I think), and was definitely worth it for us.

I definitely echo Adam's comments about getting there early. Be sure to get there at rope drop. Most people can't or won't do this, which is why the lines are near non-existent for the first hour or so.

Also, you won't be able to get another fastpass until the earlier of: (a) your return time period has started, or (b) two hours. The return time is usually somewhere between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours. You can usually maximize your use of fastpasses by getting your next fastpass before you use your first one.

For example, let's say you get one for Ride A, with a return time of 10AM. That means you can get a new fastpass at 10AM, regardless of whether or not you've used that first fastpass or not. So when 10AM rolls around, grab a fastpass for Ride B before going on Ride A. That way, when you get off Ride A, it will almost be time for Ride B. Then head over, grab a fastpass for Ride C before going on Ride B.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:25 pm

I remembered the end of the first star tours!

we escaped boba fett and blasted into light speed. We came out of lightspeed and boom, Death Star II! We start dodging tie fighters and blow up a few and then plunge straight towards the unfinished Death Star. We zip through to the core and then out another route (we got to the center unacceptably fast, and out just as fast. we blast to lightspeed, exit, land and the rebel spy is delivered safe and sound.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks for the fast pass info! I vow to try and use it wisely!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Kittens. My roommate just got an adorable black and white kitten. I have missed cat companionship for too long!
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets." -Goku, DBZ

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Kittens. My roommate just got an adorable black and white kitten. I have missed cat companionship for too long!
All felines! <3

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:07 pm

I love warm laundry. It almost makes folding clothes worth it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:57 pm

I love how two different people knew I loved a series of books by an author so much that when it was announced he was doing a webinar, both people, independent of each other, sent me the link saying they knew that and I should register.

Being known is a nice feeling.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Jony Ive is taking back design at Apple from Forstall. Time to kick this skeuomorphy to the curb. :D

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Polish girls.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 am

I have to bunker down and read some graphic novels this afternoon, after food is made and dishes are done. I'll be giving a presentation at work tomorrow on youth graphic novels, basically telling my coworkers "This is great literature, too; here's what it can do for kids, here's what you can tell their parents on why they shouldn't look down on them, and here are some of my favorites that aren't Bone and the already massively popular anything superheroes."

I have about 17 to briefly mention, plus many more that I intend to buy once I figure out the rest of my budget, but I want to make sure I have a well-rounded selection.

I love, love, love youth graphic novels. I love that I get to share that with my coworkers.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:01 pm

On the note of anything superheroes, Kurt Busiek's "Marvels" is phenomenal. If you don't have it, get it. I recommend it even for people who AREN'T fans of most superhero stuff, because it takes a much different approach.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:14 pm

That is outside my area; it would be considered a YA or adult GN. I order for 12 and under. I also meant I would not be book-talking anything having to do with superheroes. The kids know about them, the parents know about them, and they're the only thing my coworkers are vaguely familiar with. I'd rather spend the time on GNs that are realistic fiction, adaptations of classic lit., historical fiction, etc. Superheroes don't need me championing them. Neither does Bone or Tin-Tin :)
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 pm

Oh, okay, I mistook "youth" for YA. Marvels is basically the superhero genre take on "realistic fiction" - the main character is an ordinary photojournalist, and the book follows his career. If you want to totally eschew that it makes sense, but I thought I'd plug it, since it's orders of magnitude more literary than, say, Tin-Tin, or Ultimate Spiderman.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Every level of "literary" has its place. Reluctant/aliterate readers of all ages and beginning readers might be intimidated by the stuff that is orders of magnitude more literary or may conclude that it's the same as traditional text and decide reading isn't for them. When they're good and caught in reading, they can be aimed towards things like that, though I suspect at that point, they're seeking it out on their own.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 pm

Do you mind posting your list sometime? I always love new comic suggestions, even if a lot of them I've heard from you before!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Yay! A kit-kat commercial with NO CRUNCHING!

So happy! Maybe the beginning of a new kit-kat era!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Return to “Milagre Town Square”