The Race Relations/Diversity/Equality Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Re: The Race Relations/Diversity/Equality Thread

Postby CezeN » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I also disagree with the idea that being "white-washed" or an "oreo" means you're not showing signs of your roots. Well, specifically with African American culture, it means.... you're not showing signs of African-American culture. Which aren't the roots(to the degree that I mean). I think that a lot of us Africans are considered such because we sometimes act different from our African American brethren--such as speaking proper English instead of Ebonics. I actually remember this black Canadian in 9th grade saying that I acted white as if it was a negative, and then later on saying something about how its okay because I'm African and just trying to make it in this country. Something like that.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I guess we're somewhat unique in that respect. I live in a very diverse area and when I hear the term "white-washed" referring to a Chinese person it means they don't act like someone from China, or for an Indian person it means they don't act like they're from India. But you're right, when referring to a black person it has nothing to do with how African they are. It's about if they're acting like a "brotha", or a "homie", or a "gangsta", or a "nigga"; which ever term you prefer. It probably has to do with the fact that many of us didn't come here straight from Africa, and as Jan mentioned, many that did were brought over as slaves and deliberately conditioned to forget their culture and not pass it on. I can't even tell you how many generations removed I am from being African, let alone what part(s) of Africa my ancestors came from. And like many African-Canadians/Americans of similar Africa --> Caribbean --> North American heritage, I have white ancestors on both sides of my family. The bottom line is that for many if not most blacks in North America the term "Caribbean-American/Canadian" is a far more accurate description of our heritage than African, and for those that went African --> Slave-American, they had to create a whole new culture for themselves in a society where as recently as two generations ago they barely had any rights. So it's not surprising that only those who came here directly from Africa since the civil rights movement actually act African.
True true. I agree with and appreciate your analysis.

I wonder what culture differences there are between African Americans and African Canadians. Or if it's simply the same as the difference between an American and a Canadian. EDIT: What is the cultural differences between Americans and Canadians? Ignoring guns and use of the word "caf".(And living in igloos...)

On a random note: I always feel someone is more in touch with their roots if they speak a language related. I know a lot of brown people who speak their relative Southeastern Language, a lot(well, most) of the asians I know from college are the same, and literally all of my hispanic friends at my college speak some degree of spanish and all but 2 love Salsa dancing and drag me with them sometimes. Also, I feel like all my Jewish friends are more in touch because of just the nature of being Jewish(if that makes any sense) and they teach me Hebrew words like "sh!tza". (and two of my good friends who were Jewish did this summer program visiting Israel) EDIT: Surprisingly, my parents didn't teach me my language/dialect ='(
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:03 am

On Maternal Grandfather's side, my immigrating ancestor was John Howland of the Mayflower in 1620.
Damn. George Washington may be the metaphorical Father of America, but John Howland appears to have a much more literal claim to the title.
The enemy's fly is down.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 pm

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:20 am

The enemy's fly is down.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:07 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/0 ... 35779.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not convinced that this letter was bullying, or that this news anchor sicking her fans on this guy wasn't.
I mean, it's not like he just called her "fat". But, he gave good reasons validating his point of view and why her weight is an important issue to him. And later offered to help her.

I feel like the more immature one in this situation is Jennifer Livingston. You're in the public eye, you will be publically criticized. Probably by many. Learn how to deal with it better.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:13 pm

I feel like the more immature one in this situation is Jennifer Livingston. You're in the public eye, you will be publically criticized. Probably by many. Learn how to deal with it better.
Or the public can learn to not be judgmental douchebags over something like appearance, particularly as it relates to women (also wrong when it comes to men).

Just because it happens doesn't mean it's right/okay/her problem to learn to deal with.

Offering to help someone lose weight is more often than not condescending and unhelpful, even if they stem from a so-called concerned place.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Or the public can learn to not be judgmental douchebags over something like appearance, particularly as it relates to women (also wrong when it comes to men).

Just because it happens doesn't mean it's right/okay/her problem to learn to deal with.

Offering to help someone lose weight is more often than not condescending and unhelpful, even if they stem from a so-called concerned place.
I don't think we can expect that every single person that makes up the public will look at public figures and fail to criticize them. Therefore, I put it on the public figure to expect it, prepare for it, and deal with it. Maturely.

But, not deal with it by abusing their authority and turning a private message into a public issue digressing from what the message was actually about. What if every news anchor responded to hate mail by posting it during the news and sicking their fans on the person?

I mean, if I remember correctly: the guy judged her because she hadn't lost weight over the years, he is concerned with the issue of obesity in the US, and he thought that her status influenced viewers - young girls particularly. Sounds like his opinion is warranted and not bullying. The fact that he offered to help her puts it in the constructive criticism category, in my opinion, if we don't make any assumptions about his intentions.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Did she ASK for his so-called help? No? Then how is her weight his business?

I mean, if it bothers him that damn much, he could practice the age-old art of looking at something else.

How dare she go out and give people the idea that overweight people can be professionals who do their jobs? What a horrible message to send!

So. Much. Anger. So impressed with her and glad she stood up for herself.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 pm

the guy judged her because she hadn't lost weight over the years, he is concerned with the issue of obesity in the US, and he thought that her status influenced viewers - young girls particularly.
Her status is hardly as far-reaching and negative as basically every commercial, print-ad, TV show, and Hollywood movie most, if not all, girls will see in their lifetime. Heaven forbid they see a non-obese overweight person who doesn't fit the thin-as-a-rail standard this country likes to hold women to.
Sounds like his opinion is warranted and not bullying. The fact that he offered to help her puts it in the constructive criticism category, in my opinion, if we don't make any assumptions about his intentions.
His opinion was uncalled for, her ability or inability to lose weight is none of his business regardless of what her job is, and targeting her isn't going to do s*** to help young girls but it is going to possibly make her feel bad.

You are wrong on so many levels here, it's not even funny. But there is no surprise there.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Did she ASK for his so-called help? No? Then how is her weight his business?

I mean, if it bothers him that damn much, he could practice the age-old art of looking at something else.

How dare she go out and give people the idea that overweight people can be professionals who do their jobs? What a horrible message to send!

So. Much. Anger. So impressed with her and glad she stood up for herself.
It's his business because he's apparently concerned with the big problem of obesity in America. Apparently he thinks that some people may see her as a role model and thinks that she would be a better one if she set the example of being healthier.

Let's be clear: He did not phrase the issue of her obesity relating to himself. He admits he doesn't watch her show or see her.

That's a good message, but I'm pretty sure he believes that the message of being professional and a healthy bodyweight is better...

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Here's a blog that I read on this very topic, Cezen.
About Obesity and Bullying

I believe that standing up for herself was a good choice to make, but I also am not sure his letter constitutes "bullying." Was it ridiculous for him to send the letter, ESPECIALLY without knowing the facts? Yes. But was the language of the letter "bullying?" I'm not sure I think so.

As the author of the above blog states: "Any time someone throws out an accusation like bully, racist or sexist, falsely or without justification, it diminishes the power of the accusation and makes things more difficult for the next person who needs to use it legitimately. Remember the parable of the boy who cried wolf."

ETA: I'm going on a definition of "bullying" along these lines: "Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others. The behavior can be habitual and involve an imbalance of social or physical power. It can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability."

If you read his letter, he is not using" force or coercion to abuse or intimidate" her. He is criticizing her, and unjustly, I might add. But he is not "bullying." In my opinion.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:50 pm

the guy judged her because she hadn't lost weight over the years, he is concerned with the issue of obesity in the US, and he thought that her status influenced viewers - young girls particularly.
1. Her status is hardly as far-reaching and negative as basically every commercial, print-ad, TV show, and Hollywood movie most, if not all, girls will see in their lifetime. Heaven forbid they see a non-obese overweight person who doesn't fit the thin-as-a-rail standard this country likes to hold women to.
Sounds like his opinion is warranted and not bullying. The fact that he offered to help her puts it in the constructive criticism category, in my opinion, if we don't make any assumptions about his intentions.
2. His opinion was uncalled for, her ability or inability to lose weight is none of his business regardless of what her job is, and targeting her isn't going to do s*** to help young girls but it is going to possibly make her feel bad.

You are wrong on so many levels here, it's not even funny. But there is no surprise there.
1. You're jumping the gun here - he did not write a letter saying she should be model thin, but a healthier bodyweight. I'm sure there are several venues that girls can be influenced through. I don't think the point is how much of an impact she's having, but the fact that she could be a role model to someone out there. And that potential role models a.k.a. public figures need to realize that they influence people just by the way they go about life. The way they look, the way they dress, the way they react to criticism. Ect.

I mean, what if she responded to his message by showing her fans that she could lose the weight and acquire a healthier one that wasn't model thin? That'd make for a great self-improvement-you-can-do-it story.

2. Meh. More likely, they're learning that since "everyone is beautiful inside, as a person" they don't need to stay in a healthy bodyweight. That they should just condemn anybody possibly constructively criticizing them as bullying them. Not sure I approve of that message, to be honest.

Alas, I don't think I'm wrong here. Nor do I think that was actual bullying. Nor do I support what she did. Meh.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Here's a blog that I read on this very topic, Cezen.
About Obesity and Bullying

I believe that standing up for herself was a good choice to make, but I also am not sure his letter constitutes "bullying." Was it ridiculous for him to send the letter, ESPECIALLY without knowing the facts? Yes. But was the language of the letter "bullying?" I'm not sure I think so.

As the author of the above blog states: "Any time someone throws out an accusation like bully, racist or sexist, falsely or without justification, it diminishes the power of the accusation and makes things more difficult for the next person who needs to use it legitimately. Remember the parable of the boy who cried wolf."

ETA: I'm going on a definition of "bullying" along these lines: "Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others. The behavior can be habitual and involve an imbalance of social or physical power. It can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability."

If you read his letter, he is not using" force or coercion to abuse or intimidate" her. He is criticizing her, and unjustly, I might add. But he is not "bullying." In my opinion.
Yeah, exactly. Ridiculous? Yes. Bullying? No. I just feel like I'd respect her more if she actually stood up for herself, instead of rallying herself an army. Which she could have done via a private message back to him.

And if she hadn't cleverly deflected the issue into bullying.

CezeN, "So hey friend, ummm. You need to work on holding the door open for people you don't know. It's common courtesy and such. Your social skills could use a bit of work"
Friend. "What?! Are you saying that my personality is not good and I need to change myself for others?! Everyone is unique and beautiful and everyone should be themselves! BULLLLLLLLY!"

Like, I feel like I could find some way to spin any criticism into bullying and a message about being your own beautiful self.
Last edited by CezeN on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm

You're missing the point that her weight, what she weighs, what she eats, how often she does or does not exercise, who sees her or who doesn't, is NONE OF HIS BUSINESS. NONE. It matters not one iota that she works on TV.

If you, and he, really want to make a difference in the lives of young people, some other things he/you can be sending emails about would be encouraging a decrease in car usage and more walking/biking to get around, a decrease in fast food availability, making healthy food options cheaper, educating kids on healthy lifestyles instead of showing them unhealthy images as ideals, etc. This one woman is not the key to change and he sure as hell has no right to judge or criticize her no matter how justified you or he think his opinion is. End of story.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 pm

1. You're missing the point that her weight, what she weighs, what she eats, how often she does or does not exercise, who sees her or who doesn't, is NONE OF HIS BUSINESS. NONE. It matters not one iota that she works on TV.

2.If you, and he, really want to make a difference in the lives of young people, some other things he/you can be sending emails about would be encouraging a decrease in car usage and more walking/biking to get around, a decrease in fast food availability, making healthy food options cheaper, educating kids on healthy lifestyles instead of showing them unhealthy images as ideals, etc. This one woman is not the key to change and he sure as hell has no right to judge or criticize her no matter how justified you or he think his opinion is. End of story.
1. I don't....agree with your "point". How is it not his business? If he professes to care about the public, and she influences the public, and he wants her to influence the public in a healthy way....how is it not his business?

I mean, I honestly don't see your reasoning here. It's no one's business whether Tiger Woods has sex with everyone who's not his wife(except his family), but the public and sponsors know that he is a role model and his actions influence others, particularly little boys who want to grow up and be Tiger Woods. Why did he lose sponsors and everyone condemn him when it's none of anyone's business? I don't get how the same structure of reasoning does not apply to how this guy views Jennifer Livingston's position in the public eye. And no, I'm not saying being overweight and being unfaithful to your wife is the same level of wrong. Just that they are comparably both the business of the public.

2. Woah...You're jumping the gun again. I'm not trying to influence the lives of young people, at the moment, in terms of the issue of bodyweight. I'm just justifying the point of view of a man who was condemned for having a valid point of view.
If Jennifer took him up on his offer, and went and excercised with him, she could then showcase some of those ideas that you just proposed - through her doing them. Like I said before, what if she actually decided to lose weight and showed that achieving a healthy bodyweight was possible with the right direction? Last, I don't think change has to be on a massive scale for it to be worthwhile. This guy does not need to start a massive campaign, but attempt to influence through whatever way is manageable and his own city/community. That includes a small-time public figure.

I sense that this story is just beginning....

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Why did he lose sponsors and everyone condemn him when it's none of anyone's business?
That was likewise no one's business. You are just too used to growing up in a tabloid and reality TV world where you seem to think because others put it out there, either themselves or by the media, that it makes it somehow okay or the way things should be.

Luckily, I'm not asking you to agree with my point nor do I care if you do. I'm going to quit wasting my time because I really should know better than to ever talk to you.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Why did he lose sponsors and everyone condemn him when it's none of anyone's business?
That was likewise no one's business. You are just too used to growing up in a tabloid and reality TV world where you seem to think because others put it out there, either themselves or by the media, that it makes it somehow okay or the way things should be.

Luckily, I'm not asking you to agree with my point nor do I care if you do. I'm going to quit wasting my time because I really should know better than to ever talk to you.
I guess we are polarized on this issue then. I think I've justified why it's other people's business well enough... When it comes down, I believe that other people's lives should be your business because you should care about other people.

That's why you should hold the door open for people you don't know behind you. That's why I heard a girl crying outside my dorm for 15 minutes and went outside to see if she's okay(there were other people out there comforting her, so I promptly went back inside). That's why you pick up dropped items for people you may not know who have their hands full.

Other people are your business. It's okay if you disagree, though.

I don't know why you're trying to make this personal between me and you. I have no problem with you Gravity Defier, even if I disagree with what you think and will probably do so in the future. And have done so in the past. Why not just agree to disagree? I guess the issue is close to your heart - sorry if you feel like I'm personally attacking you in anyway - but I think we can still get along and be on speaking terms, at least.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Argh, yes, sorry, I got unnecessarily snippy and personal; I apologize and thank you for kindly pointing that out. Sincerely appreciated.

Perhaps this is an issue where you have to grow up female and feel all the pressures a female can/does/will feel to understand why and how his comments felt out of line. There's a difference between having concern for someone and sticking your nose into business it doesn't belong in.

Were I to come across Tiger Woods crying, I would be concerned. Were I to come across Tiger Woods looking happy as a clam, it wouldn't be right of me to pull him aside and say, "Hey, look, here's the thing. A lot of people look up to you so maybe you shouldn't stick your penis into women who aren't your wife. I'm just concerned for the kids, is all!"

It's...just not my business, whether I agree with his habits/lifestyle or not. There are a lot of things we don't know about other people's lives and while I'm not saying I've never judged and never again will judge other people for various things that are likewise none of my business, I think it's not out of the question for people to strive not to be so judgmental.

This woman isn't something manageable to fix or change, she's a person who may have medical struggles or personal struggles we don't know about. She may hate being overweight but unable to change it. She may love being overweight and doesn't want to change it. Either way, it's up to parents, ultimately, to do their best to say "All these people exist, in extremes and everything in between; here's what I'd like you to be and here's how you should do it." They should be trying to be their child's role model.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:58 am

I'll let you in on a secret ;) there's a reason why the "helpful comments" of a "concerned stranger" regarding any bad habit or characteristic you have are perceived as an ofense. Why?
Because they usually are.

Think about what could move a man to write that email to that woman. And the fact that it is an email is important. Do you think it would be a genuine concern for her wellbeing and how she affects other people who could see their overweight validated for her?
If that's so,

Internet is the perfect vehicle for people to vent their frustrations and reach others anonymously. Nothing that starts "Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular" can be thought of respectful and helpful, and furthermore, rarely the addressee is called Shirley.

The arguments, as you said, might be valid. But the delivery is frankly rude. The rational arguments are, more often than not in these catilinariae, just the "dressing up" of the insult. The form is the true vehicle for the message.

It would not have been so difficult for that "concerned citizen" to say something like "i have a girl who is starting to gain weight, and she feels there is no problem because you are overweight and she says 'look she's overweight too, she's on the tv, and nothing happens', so i would like you to address this problem somehow, thanks to the influence you have". See? it didn't take 5 seconds to make up something that could have looked much more like actual, honest concern for the health of kids.

It has been said already, but anyone who has actual knowledge of the obesity knows how hard it is to fight it, and how unhelpful comments like that are. It's an uphill battle, it's a chronic disease. Even if you lose weight, your body doesn't want anything else than fill itself up like a balloon. It takes constant strength (every day, every hour of the day), without allowing yourself a single misstep, or you will suffer the "what the hell" effect.

It's noone else's business. If someone is concerned and has legitimacy to tell her anything is her doctor (obviously), her family, and her friends. The people who love you, because the people who love you don't want to hurt your feelings, and if they perceive that something is so wrong with you that they are risking to hurt you with words you don't want to hear... you better listen to them.

Edit: awww man, you guys always get into these heated arguments when i am not :cry: *sniffle*
:mrgreen:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:42 am

jota be, you're my hero. :mrgreen:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:01 am

On Maternal Grandfather's side, my immigrating ancestor was John Howland of the Mayflower in 1620. Since he has so many famous descendants, the line is traced far back from there, but I don't want to click through all the arrows to find out how far right now.
We may well be related somewhere back there :P I know I have ancestors who came over on both the Mayflower, and the ship that followed it over. I have to get some more details from my grandparents some time. But my ancestry on my paternal grandfather's side is pretty heavy on the 17-century-American-by-way-of-England.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:58 am

So there is a pretty big storm brewing at my university about some "satirical" comments students made on a student run university sponsored show.
Clip can be found here, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Speaking of KA (referencing Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity), now that the Supreme Court has effectively ended affirmative action as we know it, we at the Dooley Show are making a call to all 83 of our loyal followers (referencing to their Facebook page followers). It’s up to you to find those kids who shouldn’t be here and are only at this school because of affirmative action. Proven methods here at the Dooley Show include lynching, tarring and feathering, and cross burning.

....-_-
Their official explanation consisted of them saying that they said it to bring light to the Supreme Court case and basically that people should not be offended by it. People on campus have since started a petition to get the show suspended. Over 500 signatures, mine included.

I'm not sure I agree with getting it suspended, but it was hard not to sign the petition after the content of their initial "apology". There's a huge discussion going on about in Facebook.

At what point does "satire" cross the boundary and become hate speech? Probably at the point where you're calling your followers to commit hate crimes and haven't properly explained the context of your joke.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:51 pm

At what point does "satire" cross the boundary and become hate speech? Probably at the point where you're calling your followers to commit hate crimes and haven't properly explained the context of your joke.
I guess it's because i've been drinking sarcasm all my life, but i see the joke they are trying to do is equate going against affirmative action with lynch/tar/burning crosses. But i guess that when most people don't get the joke and get offended, best thing you can do is explain the joke, say you are sorry and let it go. It's possible to set up jokes in a bad manner, even if the joke is good... and if everybody gets offended, saying that people shouldn't get offended is missing the point: often, to get a joke, you need to see it from a very detached point of view, and that's difficult when it involves matters you feel strongly about. It's not reasonable to expect that, on certain matters, the majority will see them detachedly.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:37 pm

If it's satire, I'm afraid the point is lost on me.

To me, it seems like an offensive joke that they're calling satire in order to pretend their garbage has class and justify a high and mighty response.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:06 pm

I guess it's because i've been drinking sarcasm all my life, but i see the joke they are trying to do is equate going against affirmative action with lynch/tar/burning crosses. But i guess that when most people don't get the joke and get offended, best thing you can do is explain the joke, say you are sorry and let it go. It's possible to set up jokes in a bad manner, even if the joke is good... and if everybody gets offended, saying that people shouldn't get offended is missing the point: often, to get a joke, you need to see it from a very detached point of view, and that's difficult when it involves matters you feel strongly about. It's not reasonable to expect that, on certain matters, the majority will see them detachedly.
Yeah, that's the explanation they gave when people started calling them out.

Not sure I get it though. Affirmative action benefits women and other minorities, as well. To immediately equate a lack of affirmative action with the blacks at the university seems...offensive? Seems stereotypical to immediately jump from Affirmative Action to blacks. Especially since someone commented that it benefits whites more and cursory research brought me to this link http://diverseeducation.com/article/7603/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or, is that also part of their satire? Is the offensiveness of the idea they are trying to satire also meant satirically? Not sure.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Please. Don't give them that much credit.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Please. Don't give them that much credit.
Lol you're right.

Here's the latest official apology they have since issued, that we had to basically pull out of them.

"We at The Dooley Show would like to apologize for the Supreme Court segment that has recently caused so much hurt, pain, and anger within the Emory Community. We also would like to apologize for the delay in releasing this apology to the student body and Emory community, as this is something we wanted to get right and ensure was done sincerely and thoughtfully.

The referred-to segment was poorly written and in poor taste, which we fully recognize at The Dooley Show. Including it in the second episode was a mistake born of ignorance and poor judgment. It was not intended to hurt or personally attack any person, student, or individual.

That it did is something for which we are truly sorry, and regret deeply. As stated, we were not aware of the pain the segment would cause, the wounds existing on our campus it would open, or the dialogue it would recall. We should have considered more fully the horrible history our words recalled, and apologize immensely for not having done so.

We too are members of the Emory community, and are deeply ashamed and sincerely sorry for all the pain and hurt our words have caused within it. Never at any point were they meant maliciously or to incite hatred towards anyone, anywhere.

We are students as well, learning from this and our mistake, and want to express how much we have learned and taken from this whole experience. Again, we apologize sincerely and want to communicate how much we have learned from our actions.

Thank you,

The Dooley Show"

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:46 pm

To me, it seems like an offensive joke that they're calling satire in order to pretend their garbage has class and justify a high and mighty response.
This is pretty much my feeling, as well.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:18 pm

The joke was definitely in poor taste, but before I personally take offense over things like this, I consider whether the people behind it are genuinely racist, or they just thought (however mistakenly) that they were being funny. In this case I think it's the latter.

I think that the apology is sufficient this time.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:33 am

To immediately equate a lack of affirmative action with the blacks at the university seems...offensive? Seems stereotypical to immediately jump from Affirmative Action to blacks. Especially since someone commented that it benefits whites more and cursory research brought me to this link http://diverseeducation.com/article/7603/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or, is that also part of their satire? Is the offensiveness of the idea they are trying to satire also meant satirically? Not sure.
I see what you are saying. I think that, more than relate lack of affirmative action with harrassment to black people, they tried to equate the kind of people who would go against affirmative action as the same kind of people that, in other times, would be lynchers. Kinda like saying "ok, now that 'we'* achieved stopping affirmative action, the next logical step is to restart the lynching mobs".

*'we' used in a satirical way, as placing themselves as the ones who were already pushing against affirmative action

In any case, i agree it's offensive, because this kind of jokes cannot (should not) be done casually. You need to stablish a lot of trust with your audience, so they are following the build up of the joke, and then everybody will get it. Precisely because it's a subject that can lend itself to misinterpretations and hurt feelings.

I'm glad, though, that they decided to bow and apologize, and not castle themselves in the all-too-common attitude of "it was a joke, if you didn't get it it's because you are not as smart as ourselves".

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:40 pm

I don't know if you guys heard about this, but I think my university is trying to ruin its reputation...
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013 ... apologizes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.policymic.com/articles/27088 ... -community" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.emorywheel.com/faculty-censu ... onfidence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My favorite, http://www.emorywheel.com/faculty-lette ... nt-wagner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segmen ... 2eca0002f7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Black police officer faces charges for not investigating racial taunts against himself

And here I thought that turning the other cheek was supposed to be admirable.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm glad to see they are no longer seeking dismissal or demotion if he's found guilty of anything, but still. Man.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 am

This article seems relevant to this conversation: http://www.eurweb.com/2013/02/ex-la-cop ... -lived-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Interracial Friendship
A recent Reuters/Ipsos poll, which found that 40 percent of white people and 25 percent of nonwhite people have no friends of the opposite race, caused me to reflect deeply on the friendship segregation that has characterized my own life.
I hope that people here can offer some feedback about this article, because I found it pretty surprising and I'm wondering if it's just me. I know that interracial romantic relationships are still seen as controversial by some people, but interracial friendship is not something I've ever really thought of as being in issue. Probably because, truth be told, the VAST majority of my friends are NOT black.

So when I see that 25 percent of nonwhite people (presumably in the US) have no friends of the opposite race (what does "opposite" race even mean?) it occurs to me that I'm really on the other end of the spectrum. It's certainly not be design. I don't take race into consideration when I'm forming friendships. It's about who I'm comfortable with, has similar interests, goals, values, who laughs at the same jokes, etc. My circle of friends has always been very racially diverse... except for other black people.

What can I say? I guess I'm an Oreo.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”