Dear Diary/Journal/Bob 3.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Re: Dear Diary/Journal/Bob 3.0

Postby Petra456 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Bob,

That root canal HURT! I'm a little mad at every single person who said they don't hurt at all, even though I know it probably didn't hurt them at all.

Ugh, i'm tired of mouth pain.

: (
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:10 am

I'm really sorry Fred! Tooth pain is terrible! :(
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:50 am

Bob,

That root canal HURT! I'm a little mad at every single person who said they don't hurt at all, even though I know it probably didn't hurt them at all.

Ugh, i'm tired of mouth pain.

: (
When I had mine done, they didn't use enough drugs and started right in with the drill when I wasn't numb. I literally jumped out of the chair.

I'm on your side with the whole root canal thing.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:39 am

When I had mine done, they didn't use enough drugs and started right in with the drill when I wasn't numb. I literally jumped out of the chair.

I'm on your side with the whole root canal thing.
That's exactly what happened with me! I almost (completely by accident) smacked the dentist when I jerked up! They said it should only take one shot (it's a front tooth) and started drilling. That obviously wasn't enough so they gave me another shot. When that one didn't work they already had my tooth mostly open, so they put some medicine inside that was supposed to help with going numb? That didn't work too well, so I had to have a third short through the roof of my mouth (which is the WORST). Plus, my mouth is so small that the plastic pieces they used to take x-rays have left my gums pretty beat up. I'm pretty sure the tooth pain is gone, I just have to wait until the rest of my mouth settles down to really know.

Ouch.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:13 am

Sorry you have to deal with that it really does suck!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Dear Bob,

I got bitten by a cat at work yesterday. This is my first ever real animal bite. I've had glancing blows but this is awful.

I'm already on anti-inflammtories and antibiotics. The swelling is going down a little. I can't decide if I should go to a doctor.
-Kim

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:35 pm

the girls who go cat bites at the vet that I worked at would always put some of that black tar like ointment on the bite. Its one of the ones we used on the animals I can't think of the name but it came in a white tube with a yellow label (it might be packaged differently at your office. but anyways it always seemed to help with the swelling. So you might wana try that.

Keep an eye on it as long as it keeps getting better you should be fine with the anti-inflammtories and antibiotics, it always worked for the cat bites I saw.

PS I would take a big angry dog over a tiny angry cat any day, I once witnessed a kitten climb up a coworkers arm using his teeth the whole way up. it took three of us to do the exam on him once we caught him.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm already on anti-inflammtories and antibiotics. The swelling is going down a little. I can't decide if I should go to a doctor.
But... you're a doctor!
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks, Teresa! I've seen people land in the hospital with cat bites. So... it makes me nervous, but I feel like its getting better.

And :P Mike. True enough. But maybe a people doc would do something different? I'm OK taking antibiotics off my shelf but I'm not going to give myself painkillers (controlled or not) or injectable antibiotics.
-Kim

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:33 pm

A couple of years ago a cat named Prince Humperdinck sunk his teeth as far into the middle of my fore arm as they could go. I remember just being in shock, and not really feeling anything for almost 10 minutes. I should have gone to a doctor, my arm completely swelled and the bite turned green. I just kept putting peroxide on it and it eventually got better. I really should have gone to a doctor though, it was pretty scary.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:09 am

Eeeeeek fred!!!! scary. cat bites are ALWAYS super scary infection filled things!

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:43 am

What antibiotic are you taking? PM me if you have questions. I'm hoping you looked up dosing so you are at least getting adequate treatment. The worst cellulitis I've ever seen was from a cat bite, so I would definitely be careful!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 am

Cat bite is doing so much better! No more swelling. Redness only directly around the punctures. Very minimal pain
No more heat.

Ho2wever, now I have a head cold. Its been going around work but aaaaaaaaagh.
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Bob,

My money situation is, in the word of the French, f******. :mrgreen:

*sigh*
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Bob,

Second day of work. First really long (8.5 hour) day, standing the whole time. My legs are really sore. The time flew by, which is a plus. I think I'm picking it up pretty fast but I'm absolutely terrified of learning to make the drinks. Back tomorrow at 7am.

I got the schedule for next week and Saturday, 9/15, is gonna suck. I will be at a craft fair selling my wares from 7am-2pm and then working from 4-11:30pm. Boo!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Way to go, Nomi!

:stoned:
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:15 pm

That sucks about your schedule next week. And honestly, I'd be pretty terrified about drink-making myself (or any other consumption-based product preparation/creation) but I'm sure you'll pick it up just fine. :)

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Way to go, Nomi!! And good luck with that schedule!
-Kim

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am

Bob,

I'm sick : ( I'm to the point of being sick where normally I would call out of work (I never ever do this!) but today is the one day I can't. We have Ken Block coming to sign autographs at my work and i'm determined to get one for Will's younger brother who is a HUGE fan.

I am having the hardest time dragging myself around this morning, I want to go back to bed so bad.

Bleh.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Sorry, Fred. I had my first sick experience at my new job today. I ate something that didn't agree with me last night and had a horrible stomachache last night and this morning. I had to work from 6am to noon and ended up throwing up there. Not fun.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:59 pm

So Bob, it's been awhile. I call this post: Friendships and the Stupidity of Facebook

My friends left. The closest friends I've had since we moved here moved away in August. It was sad and it was hard, but it finally gave me the confidence to actually make some friends on my own. It dawned on me (because I am SLOW) that the group of girls who seemed kinda like they'd be my friends when I met them are NOT MY FRIENDS. They are vague acquaintances who were friends of my friends. I was clinging to this idea that they were friends who I just didn't see very much because I was facebook friends with them. I moved on. I deleted a couple from my fb and hid the rest from my wall. It was so freeing. Now I have made friends of my own accord. I'm in two book clubs and the people there actually like me and care that I exist! Yay.

All that to say - the second book club I joined was one of the most bizarre experiences ever. My friend Jess invited me to join her book club, saying that most of the girls there were new to the city and they were all really nice. That was all true.
The girl who leads the group, however, has issues. Holy crap. I have never had a worse first impression of someone then her. She spent the entire time saying how she hated the book, that no one she knew liked it (aside from 4/6 of the people at the meeting) and recommending it had gotten her into a fight with both her best friend and her mother and she blamed the girl who picked it for that (WHAT? It's not like she wrote it). The entire evening was REALLY uncomfortable. She kept saying how she wanted to dis-band the group, but chose not to by the end of the meeting.
However, the group was on facebook and as of today, has been completely deleted (a group of us who liked the book have decided to move on without her).

And...well, that's me these days.
JL

Sidenote: Weird thing about deleted facebook groups: They cease to exist in your history as well, so it feels kinda like you've been gaslighted. Did this really exist? It's just...gone.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Bob,

So, work is going okay. The job itself is good, albeit stressful. I work six days out of the next seven, which seems like a lot for part time. My feet and legs are taking a beating. I need to find better shoes. I got some used danskos, which I like, but they are making my big toe constantly numb. The search continues.

Also, my husband just accepted a new job after over eight years at his current one. It's more money and a shorter commute but the whole transition will be scary, since we won't have health insurance for 60 days (first time ever, for me!).

I missed out on birding any during fall migration...boo.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 am

Yay for new jobs! I hope he likes it!

And if you're worried about the whole insurance thing, if he works somewhere with more than 20 employees, you can probably get COBRA continuation coverage from the employer he is leaving. (This is typically 102 percent of the total premium for active employees, but obviously you'd have to pay both the employee and employer share because he no longer works there.)

Or you could look into temporary coverage through the individual market. If you're both relatively healthy, the premiums in the individual market could be significantly lower than the COBRA premiums. (And if you're just worried about catastrophic injury or illness, a higher deductible plan would probably be much cheaper than the COBRA premiums.)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 am

Dear Bob,

COMPLICATED FEELINGS ARE COMPLICATED. And I don't know how to stop them, or change course. I have to do something, before I totally and completely rewrite my memories of something wonderful, but how? HOW?
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:04 pm

*such big hugs*
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:09 am

Bob,

My 87yo grandmother is going downhill pretty fast. She is in the hospital in Florida and they think she has had multiple mini-strokes and is also having multiple small seizures. My mom flew down to be with her and try to talk her into coming back up here to stay with her.

While my mom was in Florida, my stepfather got sick very suddenly and had to go to the hospital by ambulance. He has a blood infection with a fever of 105.9 and is in the ICU. My mom flew back that day (yesterday) and is a wreck, not being able to be two places at once.

If my grandmother gets discharged from the hospital before my mom can get back to Florida, they will have to discharge her into a nursing home temporarily because she can't be on her own. Very bad timing all around. :(

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:33 am

Sorry that really sucks! Grandparents are such cool folks

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:50 pm

*so many hugs* That is terrible, Nomi. I'm so, so sorry this is all happening at the same time. Or at all.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:39 am

Sorry to hear that, Nomi :( *hugs*

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks guys. He's slurring his words really bad and we're not sure how much is permanent brain damage from the blood infection. He's getting an MRI tomorrow to check the brain damage, I think. The good news is that a procedure today showed that his artificial heart valve hasn't been damaged, so he doesn't need a repeat open-heart surgery. He'll be on at least six weeks of IV antibiotics and he's still in ICU for now.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Well Bob,

I did it. I moved and will be attending school in one week. Finding a place to call my own and a job to help pay for it all is a whole other stressful story but this has only been day 1 so there hasn't been any real stress yet. However I don't want there to be any real stress so I'm spending as much time as I can searching for a place that will be decent living in. when it comes to looking at places to live in I find myself shying away from places that I should really be digging into more thoroughly. It just doesn't feel comfortable to lay everything out there in hopes that someplace will get back to me (if any) saying "Yes, we find that you are not a horrible person and would like to milk your bank account dry while you stay here." but that is just me being cynical.

*deep breath*
Time to ruin some comfort zones.

-B
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Congratulations! Woot! So happy for you!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Time to ruin some comfort zones.
In the words of the wise Hokey Pokey, "That's what it's all about."

Good luck. :)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 am

*hugs for Nomi*

Brian, good luck!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Day 2

Bob,

My comfort zones are successfully ruined . . . and now I have a place to call my own. :D
Now I get to try and find a job that I won't totally despise. It looks like I will have to take back the first job I had at a different location. (I feel so dirty just thinking about it) Although now it will be a job that I can stomach because my main reason for having the job is money and not to experience life. There was not much life experience at Chick-fil-A after the third week.

Thank you Starlooker, Gravity Defier and steph. It has been a long time coming and I'm trying to take it in stride.

I'm glad to be finally LIVING and not just dreaming about a life I would want to live.

*raises glass* Here's to doing things that make you feel dirty for money. "Phoebe . . . I need a drink!"

-B
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”