The Musicals Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Re: The Musicals Thread

Postby v-girl » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Love love love musicals. It's been awhile since I've been to any though.

The only one I've seen in NYC was Phantom (with Nomi!). My favorite musical of all time was Wicked.

All the musicals I've seen:

Phantom of the Opera
Wicked
Ragtime
Wizard of Oz (with Eartha Kitt... rawr)
Les Miserables
Annie
Into the Woods
Legally Blonde

I'm trying to remember if there are any others.

I have not seen Rent but I am obsessed with the music and have seen the movie a million times.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 pm

I forgot other musicals I have seen at smaller theaters. I have seen Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ Superstar, Damn Yankees, Kiss Me Kate, Brigadoon and Anything Goes.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Here's my list:

Broadway Touring Companies
Jekyll & Hyde – 2
Phantom of the Opera
Les Miserable – 2
RENT – 8? I think?
Aida – 5
The Last Session – 2 (technically off-broadway, but a touring company nonetheless.)
Annie Get Your Gun
Beauty and the Beast
Lion King
Footloose - 3
Wicked

Other Productions (Most of these I've seen more than once, and I'm SURE I'm missing some. I wish my brain would work. Or the website for the music guild that did a summer show every year. That would be helpful, too.)
The Music Man
Sound of Music
South Pacific
Hello! Dolly
Secret Garden
7 Brides for 7 Brothers
Peter Pan
Swing!
The King and I
Big River
Titanic
Forever Plaid
Camelot
The Wizard of Oz
A Christmas Carol
Fiddler on the Roof
Oliver!
Brigadoon
Anything Goes
Singing in the Rain
Guys and Dolls
My Fair Lady
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
La Boheme (if we're counting straight up opera)

Shows I've been in
Fiddler on the Roof
Hello! Dolly
42nd Street
The Music Man

Northern Colorado and the Denver Area is awesome for theatre. Some professional theatre people have told me it's one of the best non-Broadway places to work in the country.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:26 pm

I couldn't list 'em all if I tried. But, Steph, I was in 42nd Street, too! I played Dorothy Brock, of all people.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:44 pm

I couldn't list 'em all if I tried. But, Steph, I was in 42nd Street, too! I played Dorothy Brock, of all people.
I can see you in that show!

It was a good exercise to try and remember and write out all the shows I've seen. I know there are many more that I can't think of, but now that I have my document saved, I can add to it as I remember and as I see new shows! This is a great thing for me, so thank you musical thread for causing me to do it!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:47 pm

This reminds me; not a musical, but I saw Peter Pan 360in Chicago this summer because one of my dearest friends, Josh, is the lead puppeteer (playing Nana, the crocodile, and others). If it's coming to an area near you, you MUST go. It was truly and amazing experience. The projection screens on the ceiling are so, so cool! The flying scenes were amazing as a result.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:41 pm

I too love musicals.

My favorite is Les Mis by a long shot. I just LOVE the hell out of that show. I've only seen it once live, but I own the complete broadway recordings which includes all the incidental music and interludes. It's 3 CDs and amazing.

I was (many moons ago) in a boys choir and we auditioned to be in the traveling production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat as the children's choir. Our group made it to the final auditions, where I was able to meet Donny Osmond, but they said our voices were too trained for the show, so in effect, I was too good for off broadway :stoned:.

In high school I was in several productions, Fiddler on the Roof, Guys and Dolls, and Man of La Mancha to name a few.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:39 am

I bought a dvd of Les Mis (as you guys call it) to watch, since I've never seen it.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:34 am

I bought a dvd of Les Mis (as you guys call it) to watch, since I've never seen it.
Which one? IT BETTER BE THE LIAM NEESOM ONE. Mostly just because everyone loves Liam Neesom. I have no idea if there are better versions.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:40 am

Well he's on the cover, so I think it is.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:34 pm

That's either a good sign or a clever marketing plot.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm going to include operas here because I've seen/done more of them, and because I'm a classical musician.

I've seen Les Mis (Schönberg) twice now, once in Jackson, MS and once in New Orleans, LA. Loved it both times, though the Original London Cast recording is still my favorite version. Of musicals, this will always be my favorite. (Saw the Broadway traveling group do it both times.)

I saw Into the Woods (Sondheim) done at the University of Southern Mississippi as a joint production between them and my Alma Mater, William Carey College (same town). Fun show.

I saw Die Fledermaus (Johann Strauss opera) done by the Augusta Opera in 2004 (I had initially come to Augusta to visit my grandmother and sister and see the opera with them, I ended up staying because I had no desire to return to my parents house in a town of 3000 in Alabama... Small town Alabama sucks...). I'm not a huge fan of this opera, but it was the first show I saw Augusta do, a company I would later sing with.

I saw Madama Butterfly (Puccini), also by the Augusta Opera in 2005? I think. It might have been the fall of 2004. Wonderful, wonderful opera. If you ever have a chance to see Butterfly do yourself a favor and DO IT. This was a great production, too.

I watched The First Emperor (Tan Dun, a modern Chinese composer of Western music), by the Metropolitan opera through their HD broadcasts to movie theatres back in 2006. I was pretty excited about getting to see the Met do an opera "live" and I think this is an excellent thing they have started. I haven't gotten to another as I don't have much free cash these days. This opera was lovely, I like Tan Dun's music, and Placido did a great job as the lead. I was pretty much in awe the whole time.

I saw Die ägyptische Helena (The Egyptian Helen, by Richard Strauss) at the Metropolitan opera. I really loved this production for the set, staging, and costume design. Musically, I didn't like the opera. The story was kind of dull, too. And the performances were less than great. The lead male was sick, and ended up dropping out after the first act, to be replaced by his understudy, a debut performance for a new singer with the company. Less than stellar, was very disappointed. Kind of wished I'd opted to see the New York City opera's production of Butterfly that night instead. But it was the Met, and I'd seen Butterfly already, so I chose this instead. Still, as much as I wasn't pleased with the music, it was an opera at the Met and a truly wonderful experience.

I saw Pagliacci (Leoncavallo), Augusta in 2008. Another great opera by a great company.

Saw La bohème (Puccini), Augusta in 2008. Love it, the original Rent. :D

Saw Sweeney Todd (Sondheim), Augusta, in 2008 or 2009? I can't remember... This was the last production that company did, sadly. They had to cancel the rest of their season and the company folded. There have been two attempts that I am aware of to reform the company but so far not much success has been had...

I saw Doctor Atomic (John Adams) done by the Met on PBS in 2008. This is about Oppenheimer and the first successful atom bomb test, I love Adams and I love this Opera. I had been wanting to see it since it first premiered in 2005 in S.F. I was flipping channels and caught the last 30 minutes of it and was disappointed that I hadn't known it was coming on. I had a trip the next morning, but when I found out it was coming on again at 1am I decided to watch it (4 hours, I believe) and just be tired the next day (I wasn't driving, I just had to ride a bus). I didn't regret it at all. Love this opera, Love Adams.

Also have seen the Met's recent (2005) production of The Magic Flute (Mozart) and loved it.

Other film and video recordings I've seen (that I remember, I'm positive I've left important things off this list):

Grease (Casey/Jacobs) Hate it, sorry if you love it.
Moulin Rogue - Hate it, sorry
Phantom of the Opera (Webber) Don't love it.
Wozzeck (Alban Berg), I love this opera, don't know who the production company was though, it was a video my roomie had to watch for a class. He hated it. (20t century music isn't his favorite and I think he doesn't like bloody plots, either.)
Fiddler on the Roof (Bock/Harnick) I love.
My Fair Lady (Lerner and Loewe) I love.

I have sung in:

The Mikado (Gilbert and Sullivan) in 1999 at William Carey College. Chorus.
Trial by Jury (Gilbert and Sullivan) in 2000? at William Carey College. I was the Bailiff.
Tales of Hoffmann (Offenbach) in 2005, Augusta Opera chorus. (A French opera about a German author sung in English!)
La Traviata (Verdi) in 2006, Augusta Opera chorus.
Man of La Mancha (Leigh) in 2006, Augusta Opera chorus.
And most recently did scenes from The Mikado with the choral group I sing with, Colla Voce. I played Koko, the Lord High Executioner. (Less than a week ago.)

I couldn't even begin to list the recordings I have heard of musicals or operas.

Edit: Also included on last weeks performance was HMS Pinafore (Gilbert and Sullivan), chorus.

And I'm pretty sure I saw Beauty and the Beast in 2006 or 2007 by The Augusta Players.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Secret Kelly Trivia: I entered college as a theatre major.
:stamp:

I got all but 3 credits of a theatre minor in undergrad. I ended up dropping my Acting II class so that I could make sure to pass my Biology 101 class and actually get my major degree without having to stick around for ANOTHER semester (I fit 4 years of college into 5!).

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:33 pm

That's an impressive list. :)

Saw La bohème (Puccini), Augusta in 2008. Love it, the original Rent. :D
I saw La Boheme once. It was performed in english, but it might as well have been in Italian, since you could understand a word they were saying. It's a good thing I knew the story line. I would have been completely lost otherwise.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:07 am

Seeing The Lion King 2 weeks ago. This show has power like no other show. Watching my kids see it for the first time probably didn't help to calm my emotions. But even Brian was teary-eyed in some parts, so it's not just me who thinks it's powerful.

Brayden likes the stage production better, but Tyler still prefers the movie. He did write a really cute report about it to share with his class at school, since he was lucky enough to miss school to go to the theatre. Both of them are anxious to see another show. We may do Stomp when in comes next year.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:45 am

The three piece of artistic media from my youth that have had a truly lasting impact on my life are: Les Mis, Ender's Game, and RENT. The RENT movie was fairly lackluster, but the other 2 will have amazing movies coming out very soon! (Lucky me!)

Les Mis is important to me. I was the little girl singing "Castle on a Cloud" for talent show auditions. I sang it in English, and in French. It was my first experience of identifying with a character. After knowing the cast recording by heart for years, I finally was able to see the show my junior year of high school. My love for Les Mis never waned, and when the tour was coming through last year, I knew it was something I wanted to share with Brian. Comments he had made about the show were along the lines of "It's French and a musical. How can that be good?" (All in a joking tone, of course. He likes musicals and we'd been to France and had a lovely time!) I knew I needed to prove to him the power of this story, of this show. I had both of us read the book before attending. I read the physical novel, Brian had it on CD. My understanding of the story, my insights into character were deepened and strengthened. My love was taken to a whole new level. (Needless to say, Brian was blown away by the show. Even if he denies it now!)

So, with all of that being said, the Les Mis movie will be amazing. Need proof? Check this out:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:49 am

I don't have time to watch that video at the moment, but the initial still of Hugh Jackman is all I need. Definitely will be amazing.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 am

This thread just magically reappeared at the perfect time.

MATILDA, YOU GUYS. Matilda this musical! I am OBSESSED with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yyiy7aqiE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:57 am

This thread just magically reappeared at the perfect time.

MATILDA, YOU GUYS. Matilda this musical! I am OBSESSED with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yyiy7aqiE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wot.

Awesome.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:10 am

So, with all of that being said, the Les Mis movie will be amazing. Need proof? Check this out:
It's AMAZING that they did all the singing on set. I don't think that has ever been done before in a movie-musical. It makes me ten times more excited - the emotion of the singing will be like nothing we've seen before. Paul is so very excited about this movie and he's totally drawn me in by talking about it so much.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:49 am

Les Mis is hands down my favourite musical. I am very much looking forward to this!

Also, I so wish I could afford to go down to the West End to see Matilda! I have heard fantastic things about it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Hey the songs from that Matilda musical were written by Tim Minchin!
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm curious how differently they built the sets considering they were singing on set, and how they recorded the sound, was probably a crazily complex construction. I came by today to post that extended first look. They gave us samples of the singing of all the expected oscar nominees (Jackman, Hathaway (who will win supporting this year, it's a mortal lock akin to Helen Mirren for the Queen), Barks) except for Crowe. We even got some singing samples from the actress with the creepy-terrifying-and-deranged-eyes, but not Crowe, so I wonder if they're hiding him because he's not very good?

In any event, expect nominations for:
Picture
Director
Actor (Jackman)
Supporting Actor (Crowe)
Supporting Actress (Hathaway, who will win)
Supporting Actress (Barks)
Art Direction (now renamed, finally, correctly, Production Design)
Cinematography
Costume Design
Editing
Sound
Song (the new one)

Competition is probably too stiff for Makeup (now retitled Makeup and Hairstyling) because Lincoln is winning and will be nominated alongside Cloud Atlas and the Hobbit, and before Les Mis gets a shot at that nom it will be still be behind Men in Black3, Hitchcock and Looper. Adapted screenplay is dicey, depending on how much adaptation and compression they did of the show, but who knows.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:15 pm

first tv spot, 90 seconds, so it is similar to the trailer, but check out that killer dissolve at the end to the famous artwork. Damn.

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Chills and tears every time.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to see this opening day so I can see it as soon as possible or wait until it's not so overly crowded so I can feel the story more intimately. A Christmas Day release of a movie like this is going to be INSANE. I'm having a baby 3 weeks after it's release, so I can't wait too long. Gah!!! I don't know what to do!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:19 pm

You know, I don't think I'd have seen many/any of the musicals I have if it weren't for you all. I'm excited to see this on "Broadway" first, then get to see it in movie theaters about a month later.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:16 pm

I love the look at each character you get with this trailer. And we actually get a preview of Russel Crow's singing!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Kim! Kim! Kim, Kim, Kim!!! I'm waiting for your thoughts on J&H!!

Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:08 pm

I was surprised that grease showed up so late in this thread...I hope I don't offend musical "purists" by saying these next two things.
1: I have never seen a musical on stage
2: my three faves on DVD are
Grease (of course)
Crybaby
Across the universe. I'm a huge Beatles fan.
:D
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean ES

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:24 pm

The only time I've seen Across the Universe, it was at like 2am during a blizzard and we ended up watching the first half again mostly inadvertently.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Mmmhm...I've seen the first half of LOTS of movies "inadvertently".......
I.e. too "busy" to turn it off... :twisted: :oops:
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean ES

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm

This was more like "too tired" than "too busy". Nobody had the energy to turn it off because we'd all been jumping up and down at a local punk show a couple hours before.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Haha, one month ago i wouldn't have understood that :mrgreen:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Haha, one month ago i wouldn't have understood that :mrgreen:
One month has brought you better English or more experience with inadvertent movie watchings? :P

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 pm

One month has brought you better English or more experience with inadvertent movie watchings? :P
Yes. :mrgreen:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”