Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Re: Things that I hate

Postby steph » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:44 pm

I hate that my laptop shut itself down while I was putting the kids to bed and that I had an unsaved bake sale poster on gimp, which doesn't automatically back up.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm

That the German shepherd got out again. We were about half a block away. I made myself just keep walking, head up, but it ran, caught up with us, and was barking at me, staying right at my heels for quite a way. I was scared and wondering how on earth this was going to end when an SUV stopped a ways behind us and the passenger called the dog and took him home. I turned the stroller around, marched up to the SUV, and let her know how upset I was, that it was the second time, and that they needed to fix the situation or I'd be calling animal control and/or the police. She was very sorry and conciliatory. Promised to take care of it. However, why it wasn't taken care of the first time I don't know. Grrr.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:27 pm

I've been on the other side, with the escaped dog and have had both animal control and the police called because of it. My dog would get out when we weren't careful enough opening the front door, mostly, and it was embarrassing and I'm sure her barking at people from a distance of only a few feet terrified them but if I lost her for that, I'd be very, very sad. It wasn't her fault that we didn't train her properly. Vets and the animal control folks had given us suggestions on how to stop certain behaviors but nothing ever seemed to work.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 am

Well, this dog is going under some.chicken wire put up between boards of an otherwise sturdy fence. It is fixable.

It might be a great dog that's never hurt a fly. Or it might be dangerous. I have no way of knowing. All I know is it runs after me and my baby barking and damn sure acting threatening as hell. I don't really give a damn if it's an otherwise good dog. I don't really care how sad or inconvenienced the owners are. They are really lucky I'm not calling the cops this time. Threatening dog chasing me and my baby when we are well out of it's way? Fear and anger trump empathy hard, here.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:00 am

Sometimes I hate my Dr's all of them! I don't like them planning any more experimental BS on my spine . I also hate feeling powerless about my own bod and what they plan to do with it. I wont have a bunch of plastic or whatever chineese crap theyre making backbone parts out of this week, I verry much doubt they could find a piece of natural bone left in my back to attatch any of their new toys to. :lecture:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 am

Either my phone alarm is not going off or I'm getting so tired I'm sleeping right through it. Twice now in the past week I've failed to wake up at the time I set the alarm for. Luckily, or unluckily, only one of those times was it necessary I be up for work; I had to call my boss for a ride to work, which sucked.

This time I was just planning on going to the store so I guess it's not the end of the world that I missed that.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Either my phone alarm is not going off or I'm getting so tired I'm sleeping right through it. Twice now in the past week I've failed to wake up at the time I set the alarm for. Luckily, or unluckily, only one of those times was it necessary I be up for work; I had to call my boss for a ride to work, which sucked.

This time I was just planning on going to the store so I guess it's not the end of the world that I missed that.
I don't know what type of phone you use, but usually if I think I might be too sleepy to wake up at my phone alarm, I set it to ring at two more points 15 minutes apart from each other with different ring tones for each.

I also sleep with it lying right near my ear and up the volume a little. Does your alarm keep ringing until it's turned off?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

The Third
Launchie
Launchie

Postby The Third » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:46 pm

If its an iPhone, that happens to me all the time. It drives me crazy.

I also hate when I am eating tortilla chips and the sharp edge of one of them inadvertently pierces my gums and breaks off and I spend what seems like an eternity trying to dislodge the rogue chip.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:55 pm

My phone is set to ring every 7 minutes until I turn the alarm off whenever I hear it or until it has gone off seven times. It is also set to get progressively louder the longer it goes off. I sleep with it on the bed, where the other pillow would be if I didn't double both of my pillows up.

When I was in high school, I would turn off the alarm without realizing it but hadn't done it since then (11 years), so it's possible I'm doing that now.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:24 pm

I have to go grocery shopping but I really don't want to because I was called fat last night and then asked to believe it was a joke. I've spent most of today in bed, feeling like s***.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:22 am

I hate that today I had to travel 6 hours round trip (including the appointment) to have my 5th MRI on my left shoulder.
I hate that after consulting with Dr google about the MRI images I brought home I think I Still have a SLAP tear of the labrum.
this makes 2 surgeries and still no fixed shoulder. (yes parts have healed the Blankart tear and part of the SLAP tear but it still hurts and still looks torn)
I hate that this most likely means I need another (THIRD!) surgery to try and fix it again and that this time my Doc will most likely just cut my biceps tendon so the labrum can heal... meaning longer recovery more scars and harder PT.
I hate that all of this is because of a job I hated working for a manager I REALLY hated
I hate that it had been 2 years and 2 months since I felt like I was a whole person because its really been that f****** long and this just needs to get the f*** fixed already so I can move on with my life.

All of you treat your shoulders well, once you break them they are like Humpy Dumpy and can't be put back together :(
I was called fat last night and then asked to believe it was a joke. I've spent most of today in bed, feeling like s***.
And this person for making you feel this way what an ASS!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Shot day.

Not getting in to Atty's regular doctor, so getting stuck with a stupid nurse practitioner who doesn't know uncircumcised babies do not, in fact, have retractable foreskins and ends up bringing in a doctor to do an unnecessary penis check that makes Atty cry. The doctor thought Atty HAD been circumcised and so was totally freaking out about things until I informed him he wasn't. Which meant, "Oh, never mind, he's fine." Which I knew. Arg. Like shot day isn't bad enough for Atty without people trying to retract something that doesn't retract.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:26 pm

I hate the mosquito bite that is currently residing on the top of my foot. I especially hate that my socks and shoes rubbed it all day long, making it impossible to ignore.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 pm

A Nebraska preschool is asking a deaf child to change his name because his sign-name violates the school's "weapons policy."
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:01 pm

Oh my Lord.

Stupid. And discriminatory.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:53 am

First world problem: My internet keeps cutting out every few hours and no amount of restarting or unplugging my modem and router or flipping the wifi switch on my computer will turn it on again. Windows can't figure out the problem or repair it if I follow those prompts. The only thing that ever works is to restart the computer, which is obnoxious.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:52 am

It's too bad that group is bad at math and bad at being honest.

The library's proposed tax levy hike was 3.4 percent (when there is a statutory cap of 2 percent on property tax hikes in Michigan), not the 0.7 percent claimed. Did the city suddenly cut the library's funding? Was the dedicated property tax levy expected to bring in less money? Nope and nope.

131 percent of the tax hike went into handing out raises (5.6 percent average raise over fiscal year 2012) and better benefits. But wait, that's more than the entire tax hike. Surely that can't be right, can it? It can and it is. The entire tax hike is going toward wage and benefit spikes. And they're cutting the materials budget to help make up the rest of the gap.

Let's keep in mind: this is in a county with an 11 percent unemployment rate and some of the highest taxes in the nation (the average property tax bill is greater than the average property tax bill in 96.4 percent of U.S. counties). And they voted on whether to hike property taxes even further in order to hand out raises to its employees.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't get a raise. Maybe it's hard to attract librarians who will create the most value for the compensation offered at the current levels. I don't know. But if that's the case, then that should have been the focus of the argument.

Because this had absolutely nothing to do with "saving the library." They're not spending the money on needed facility costs (like a roof caving in, or needed to bring the building up to code), on buying more materials, or using it to plug a deficit because the levy isn't enough to cover operational expenses. They're taking money out of those things, in addition to the tax hike, to pay higher wages and offer better benefits.

But anyone who opposed the tax hike must be a crazy right-wing nut. They hate libraries. They probably hate children. And they want to burn books.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:17 am

Yeah, it really chaps my ass that a group of adults who had as much if not easier/more access to the same information you did chose to flex their democratic muscle and vote yes, as opposed to no -and of their own free will!- for a tax that would support an invaluable community resource while knowing firsthand the amount of taxes they're already paying. Oh, the injustice of it all.

If you hate the way they got the money, cool, that's your choice and I don't think deception is a good thing at all but 1) the people had a choice to investigate such claims or not and 2) in an organization like a library, where costs have always skewed significantly higher towards manpower than collections (which, I believe on average make up about 12% of most functioning libraries' budgets whereas approximately 70% goes towards staff), and where they've been forced to evolve with the times and become community centers more than book warehouses, I'm having a really hard time being disappointed those librarians are getting paid more to do a largely thankless job that often times includes babysitting, therapy, and custodial works as unlisted job duties. Heaven forbid they get paid more (when most of us, including me for two years in a row, had/have to take pay cuts). The horrors, the horrors!

Yeah. And I repeat: Yay, Library! :)

Oops. Wrong thread.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:07 pm

That's a handy little straw man. *picks up from the floor*

I have no problem with citizens voting for a local tax hike. That's their choice, and it doesn't affect me (and if it did, local taxes can be avoided by voting with my feet, as many citizens do every single day.) And if they cast their ballots uninformed: so be it. I wish people would educate themselves on ballot issues, but I can't force them.

My comments were focused on one thing: that group being blatantly dishonest and getting national attention for it. (And not a soul fact-checking them in the reporting.) And their ridiculous demonization of anyone who dare disagree with their made-up facts.

Believe it or not, reasonable people can disagree on whether those employees deserve a 6 percent raise while a significant portion of the people paying for those raises are unemployed, underemployed, or seeing their wages fall or remain flat. Reasonable people can disagree on whether a 6 percent raise is appropriate when fiscal year inflation is less than 2 percent. Reasonable people can disagree as to whether the library, or the city in general, uses the taxes levied efficiently.

Painting your opponents as book burners might win a ballot issue or two. But that doesn't make you honest. And it certainly isn't cause for us to celebrate their lies.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:15 pm

The thing is, I am not trying to debate you, so who gives a flying beaver if I used a strawman? I'm saying that a library exists and people are getting paid to work there and I think these are good things. Apparently those underemployed and unemployed people didn't make it to the voter's booth to oppose, were outvoted or supported the tax, so quit being angry on their account.

As far as lying to get it, I thought it was a rather brilliant marketing ploy and it worked. It got people interested (again, if they had a problem with the story being told, all they had to do was vote no or even research the facts) and it got people voting.

I have no problems here. Good on you for not being the same. :)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:27 pm

In case you missed it: I'm not "angry" and I really don't care about the results.

But I think it's stupid to celebrate - and continue to spread - things are simply untrue, in an effort to paint reasonable people who disagree with you as evil thugs out to do things that you know aren't true.

You're free to love them. You're free to love the lies. You're free to love only the result they got. You're free to think the ends justify the means. You're free to believe them, if you really want. I don't really care.

But that doesn't mean I have to do the same. And it certainly doesn't mean I can't call them out for what they did.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:32 pm

I just...think you missed the point.

They were being sensational on purpose. To get attention brought to their cause. If they said right-wingers were book burners with a straight face, then I'd sure as hell be annoyed because that would make them no better than the worst of the right-wingers. But it was a ploy, a "Gotcha!", a "Now that we have your attention, here's what's really going on", etc. If you want to lose sight of that, so you can sit on your high-horse and feel smug about how only you and people like you can see the Right Way of things, cool.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:00 pm

But it was a ploy, a "Gotcha!", a "Now that we have your attention, here's what's really going on", etc.
Except, as far as I can tell from their own reporting and from media reports of their campaign, the last part never happened.

After they had the attention, they didn't actually tell the truth. Therein lies the problem.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 am

I just sent someone a pizza for their birthday. It's really, really good pizza but still...

I am lame with gift-giving. *sigh*

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 am

I just sent someone a pizza for their birthday. It's really, really good pizza but still...

I am lame with gift-giving. *sigh*
That sounds like a pretty awesome gift to me. But I am also lame with gift-giving, so I may not be the best judge.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 am

That sounds like a pretty awesome gift to me.
Especially if it's Giordano's!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:25 pm

I've never been good at flossing. But just now I was being good and flossing and one of my fillings I got done 7 months ago just popped out. Boo. That's what I get for flossing! I hope I don't have to pay for it to be refilled.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:08 am

Good luck with that ! I hate going to the dentist! Everything hurts! Both ways! :bash:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:00 am

I had a filling fall out within a year and they replaced it, no charge. Though, I'm sure it could vary. Hope you get it replaced free and easy!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 am

I'm so scared of having a filling fall out, does it hurt? I just went Monday and got three more done and I'm starting to wonder if I have any teeth left that don't have fillings. Hopefully I just have one more, then three crowns and i'm done?

I hate that I feel like I take such good care of my teeth (I brush, floss, and water pick) but the dental work never seems to end!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 am

I think I'm sick or getting sick but if I am, it's not the bed-ridden, obvious, sore throat/stuffy or drippy nose, achey type of sick I'm used to getting. It's more of a slight headache, tired, sometimes dry throat sort of thing. Which is annoying. If I'm going to be sick, I'd rather it be the obvious kind, so I'd be more likely to stay in bed and rest. As is, I can move around and function with just a bit of distraction from the headache, so I'm less likely to rest.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 am

I think I'm sick or getting sick but if I am, it's not the bed-ridden, obvious, sore throat/stuffy or drippy nose, achey type of sick I'm used to getting. It's more of a slight headache, tired, sometimes dry throat sort of thing. Which is annoying. If I'm going to be sick, I'd rather it be the obvious kind, so I'd be more likely to stay in bed and rest. As is, I can move around and function with just a bit of distraction from the headache, so I'm less likely to rest.
Oh gosh, welcome to my entire last month or so. It finally got bad enough to the point of going to the doctor, who naturally said "oh yeah, upper respiratory infection. You're over it by now, probably slowly getting better."

It is the worst. You don't feel really sick, so you never really feel over it. Yay!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 am

I have a cold. First one in a long time. :grumble:

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 am

I have a cold. First one in a long time. :grumble:
Hi, cold-partner x_x i'm having my first cold outside Spain. That makes me an internationally diseased person, right? :mrgreen:

:faceplant:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:27 am

Bad headache for a week now...with my history, I'm starting to get a little worried.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”