Things I Don't Understand

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Things I Don't Understand

Postby Luet » Thu May 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Yeah, I come at it from the math nerd angle. Regular pencils have to be sharpened way to often for fast and furious math action. And I HATE pen used for math. :lecture:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu May 31, 2012 4:33 pm

I really love my mechanical pencil. I do yet want to get a progressive pencil as well, but that will happen when I have mountains of money just lying around.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu May 31, 2012 8:43 pm

What is a progressive pencil (google search didn't turn up anything related)?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu May 31, 2012 11:28 pm

What is a progressive pencil (google search didn't turn up anything related)?
Agreed... we need more information!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 am

For the first time in at least two weeks, I got more than 5 or 6 hours or sleep (9 to be exact) and I feel worse now, at least so far, than I did all those other days. Maybe I won't almost fall asleep on the train but yuck.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:19 pm

My electric bill this month is $0.00 with a $1.07 credit...um, what? The other bills seemed reasonable so I don't understand how I might have overpaid.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Something I don't understand is how my brother can get so worked up and even, at times, cry if someone makes a even a jockular insult at him but then goes around wantenly calling everybody else doosh-bags and idiots every other minute. Even when I pointed this out to him he just said "sorry" and kept doing it.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:33 pm

I don't understand how, after making it very clear that I didn't have time to take on this project, I somehow ended up doing the bulk of it anyway. Even though I didn't think it was that important in the first place. And the person who did think it was critically important and promised to do a lot of work toward its completion is somehow suddenly unavailable to do ANY of the work.
Pweb member since 2000

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:46 am

I saw a car driving in front of me with a ton of bumper stickers, two of the worst were: "Celebrate Intolerance" and "Hillary = Harlotry". Now, I'm not even political but seriously? What kind of moron believes these things enough to put them on their car?! Geez.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:35 am

I was reading the BBC article about the Colorado cinema shooting, and it mentioned that a 3-month-old and a 6-year-old were among the wounded.

What they heck are those parents thinking, bringing those kids to a MIDNIGHT showing of a BATMAN movie? While I understand the desire to just drag your sleepy baby wherever, odds are good it's going to kick up a fuss at some point. That strikes me as pretty rude to all the people trying to see their movie at a special opening night showing. And a 6-year-old? Isn't that rather age-inappropriate (not to mention the time)? And the movie theatre let them in (that part just confuses me)?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:04 am

I was thinking the same thing, Ali.

My best friend in college and I used to go out to eat quite often. I was continually surprised by the number of families with young children coming in to the restaurants as we were leaving at 10pm or later.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:14 am

I don't really care. It's not the parents' fault here. Best parenting ever? No. But I can't bring myself to fault then when a madman just shot their children. My God, what they must be going through.

I don't understand how the NRA has made such cowards of everyone. A baby was shot. Children were shot. And you know they're going to just double down and quash any attempt to have a conversation about reasonable gun control.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 am

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't think it's the parent's fault in any way, shape or form that a madman endangered their children. This is an issue that is totally and completely separate in my mind from the tragedy of the shooting.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 am

Yeah. I'm really sorry I didn't make that clearer. It was meant more as a comment on people in general who do that sort of thing, except you don't usually hear about it in news articles. I am in absolutely no way blaming those parents that their children were hurt. No one could have predicted this tragedy, and it's no one's fault except a single unhinged shooter.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:00 am

I'm sorry I reacted a bit harshly. I know you don't think that. I'm just reeling from this and seeing the post, "what were they thinking, taking their kids to Batman?" was a bit of a shock to my system, even though it really can be discussed as a separate issue.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:04 am

*hugs Kirsten*

I've watched you become so much more protective of the children of the world since having Atty. Your compassion for all children is admirable. I'm sorry that our separate discussion was too connected for you. Love you, friend.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Paid apps to access otherwise free online content on a phone with a web browser.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:29 pm

I got four hours of sleep last night (really, this morning)...so why do I feel so alive/awake today compared to the days I get more? I'll probably crash hard tonight but I crash pretty hard most nights.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Waking up on a whole number of sleep cycles can help you feel more alert right out of bed, which maybe has helped your feelings about the day in general?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:40 am

How I have "runner's knee" (patella-femoral syndrome) when I have never been a runner/jogger in my life. Grrr.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:56 am

How I have "runner's knee" (patella-femoral syndrome) when I have never been a runner/jogger in my life. Grrr.
You should consider getting some Vibram Fivefingers and retraining yourself to walk with a barefoot gait - on the balls of your feet, rather than on the heels. Takes a lot of practice (took me a few months to mostly relearn how to walk), but it's much better for your body because you end up using your calves as the main shock absorbers when you walk, rather than your bones and joints.

http://rewild.info/anthropik/2007/06/le ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:52 am

You should consider getting some Vibram Fivefingers
I zeroed in on that sentence when I opened the thread and was very confused because in my mind "vibram fivefingers" totally sounds like some kind of (awesome) sex toy.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:56 am

I zeroed in on that sentence when I opened the thread and was very confused because in my mind "vibram fivefingers" totally sounds like some kind of (awesome) sex toy.
:point&laugh:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:59 am

Elf, I have thought about it. I do wear good supportive shoes (almost exclusively Earth and Birkenstocks). My calves are actually fairly strong, it's my front thighs that are too weak. I was given a thigh strengthening exercise to help the PFS.

And yes, vibram fivefingers always makes me think of a sex toy. :lol:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:01 am

Question for you, Thomas, do you wear these as your everyday shoes or just when exercising?

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Luet' when my legs bug me its because I havent been wearing my boots enough. I would suggest you get a big pair of Whites custom made big ass smoke jumper work boots like I wear, they will fix you up deluxe and if you still don't feel good you can do some major kicking of anything you want and I guarantee you will feel great! :thumbs:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Elf, I have thought about it. I do wear good supportive shoes (almost exclusively Earth and Birkenstocks). My calves are actually fairly strong, it's my front thighs that are too weak. I was given a thigh strengthening exercise to help the PFS.
It's actually not so much the strength of the calves that's problematic, it's the actual biomechanics of the stride you use. A normal "heel-goes-down-first" stride associated with most shoe-wearing results in the impact being transmitted through your skeletal structure rather than being cushioned and absorbed by your musculature. Since I've started barefooting (4 or 5 years now), I've become hyperaware of other people's heel-pounding (I can quite literally feel it, even indoors on a concrete floor, outside in the woods, or on pavement) and its really unnerving to consider the damage that must be doing to their bodies.

Check out the link I posted in my last post and possibly also the book "Born to Run" - though the latter of those is more for runners and less for normal everyday walking, it's still a very interesting read about the way human bodies are supposed to move.

I also used to have problems with flat-footedness, and switching away from shoes has actually developed my arches somewhat by building the muscles in my foot.
And yes, vibram fivefingers always makes me think of a sex toy. :lol:
I lol'd.
Question for you, Thomas, do you wear these as your everyday shoes or just when exercising?
My "everyday" shoe usually means going barefoot, but I try to spend as much time as possible practicing barefootedness (or wearing Vibrams as the next-best-thing). You could also go for moccasins if the between-the-toes thing bugs you and you still want to practice the proper biomechanics, but real moccasins are hard to find (you usually have to make them yourself).

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:39 pm

I LOVE my Vibram Fivefingers, I've always been a person who hated wearing shows, and when I did they were the light weight thin things I could find (socks with a thing sole). and then one day I discovered Vibrams and fell completely i love. I really love feeling the ground under my feet, that and every now and then I pick flowers with the space between my toes when alking through a field. Once I can start running again I hope to transition to barefoot (vibram) running. running was one of my few hold out activates that I really liked a good pair of shoes for.
I've actually noticed that over the past year of not working and not being forces to wear "real" shoes to work that when I do put on a pair of tennies they just don't feel right and tend to be quite uncomfortable.
*SNICKER*

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm

I LOVE my Vibram Fivefingers, I've always been a person who hated wearing shows, and when I did they were the light weight thin things I could find (socks with a thing sole). and then one day I discovered Vibrams and fell completely i love. I really love feeling the ground under my feet, that and every now and then I pick flowers with the space between my toes when alking through a field. Once I can start running again I hope to transition to barefoot (vibram) running. running was one of my few hold out activates that I really liked a good pair of shoes for.
I've actually noticed that over the past year of not working and not being forces to wear "real" shoes to work that when I do put on a pair of tennies they just don't feel right and tend to be quite uncomfortable.
The one disadvantage: I love ice skating, but ice skates now feel like they're breaking my feet. I haven't even owned sneakers in about 3 years now though.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Batman's nipple suit. There was no good reason for it. Ever.

Not that Batman and Robin had any good ideas in it at all. But still.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Every time they say "useless as nipples on a breastplate" in A Dance with Dragons I laugh and think of that.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 am

Woman pwaetors found them appealing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... gustus.jpg

What are you laughing at? Do you find it wisible?

Nerding out: in fact, having a cuirass with the shape of the breasts and the cleavage valley it's a terrible idea, because you are helping the enemy slashings be deflected at a vital point (the middle of the chest). Not only that, by curving the armor that way, you are making that area weaker, due to mechanical strain during the forge.
Thankfully, "muscle cuirasses" were not worn in battle, they were used mostly as gala and votive pieces of armor.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Fake flies on baby shorts/ pants. They aren't cute, just useless.

Also don't understand real pockets on infant clothing. Fake ones are just as cute. What, does he need somewhere to stash a mini-wallet? Because, realistically, anything that fit in there would be a choking hazard.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:04 pm

How I just spent $32 on mac'n'cheese and cupcakes (eating out, not going to a grocery store and buying.)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:39 am

How, as of tomorrow, I'll have been here for 2/3 of a year. Blows my mind.

How, as of next week, I'll have been "with" zero for a year. Also blows my mind.

How, as of later this month, it will have been a year since I went batshit crazy. I still don't forgive myself. Or understand what happened in my head.

How we're even in October to begin with. 2012 just started, dammit!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”