Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Re: Yes, I know Google is my friend, but I'd rather ask you.

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:11 pm

I hate deckle edges. They serve no purpose.

They're just there to make it look like handmade paper.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 pm

They're stupid, and they make the book look like an elementary school project.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Historically they were the result of failing to trim the edges of the sheet which was folded and cut into pages (if you look at older books you will sometimes find pages that haven't yet been cut apart). Today they are, I presume, an attempt at looking old-timey.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Grah. Hate when they do that.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Historically they were the result of failing to trim the edges of the sheet which was folded and cut into pages (if you look at older books you will sometimes find pages that haven't yet been cut apart). Today they are, I presume, an attempt at looking old-timey.
Yep, and I hate them.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:23 am

Why can't I use some bread yeasts in my bread machine?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:11 am

I *think* bread machine yeast is just the same as rapid rise yeast, just relabled for people who can't figure out what to use. Rapid-rise yeast is finer, thus it dissolves quicker in liquid and starts the fermentation process faster, it also produces CO2 quicker so the bread will rise more in a shorter period of time. Rapid-rise yeast is a finer form of instant yeast. Both are more perishable than active dry yeast, which requires a hydration phase to activate it.

Traditional bread baking is a time-consuming process with many, long fermentation periods. Bread machine recipes seek to shorten the length of time it takes to make a recipe and simplify the process as much as possible.

I would assume that if you had a programmable bread machine, or were to modify the recipe to include processes external to the machine, you could use any type of bread yeast in it, but you would have to compensate for longer rise-times and such.

While I'm sure of the differences between these types of yeasts, I'm actually just guessing as to the actual reasons; I've never used a bread machine.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 am

The yeast specifically says "not for bread machines". The rise times on my machine aren't hugely different from the ones I'd do by hand, but I think the kneads are shorter/less vigorous, so that might be it. Or possibly I just need to start the yeast off with a wee bit of sugar, who knows.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:51 am

A question for the tech crowd: All of a sudden when I try to run a program which has always run fine in the past a get this message:

Runtime-error '339'
component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Any thoughts?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:16 am

Well, I cheated and Googled and it looks like something that happens occasionally, lord knows why. Corrupted, maybe? Anyway, this site seems to join the consensus that others have. Download, replace, then run that command in command prompt. Should be good to go.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Awesome!

It took a few tries to get the command prompt right because I'm dumb, but everything seems to working as it should now. Thanks for finding that for me! :D
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:48 pm

So recently, I've been unable to access one of my favorite websites (http://www.xkcd.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I'm using Chrome and it keeps telling me:
Google Chrome is having trouble accessing the network.

This may be because your firewall or antivirus software wrongly thinks Google Chrome is an intruder on your computer and is blocking it from connecting to the Internet.
Here are some suggestions:
Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
Error 138 (net::ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED): Unable to access the network.
It's also not loading on my other browsers: EI or Firefox.
I can, however, access the site from my cellphone.
Which makes me think it's something with my computer settings.

I have a long expired version of McAfee, so it can't be that, and I have Windows Defender. I went in and added Chrome to the list of approved applications to my Windows Firewall. Nothing. Ideas? I'm not noticing the problem with any other website!
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:37 pm

That's weird. It's coming through on my google reader just fine.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:35 am

The yeast specifically says "not for bread machines". The rise times on my machine aren't hugely different from the ones I'd do by hand, but I think the kneads are shorter/less vigorous, so that might be it. Or possibly I just need to start the yeast off with a wee bit of sugar, who knows.
Bread still dense. :grumble:

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 am

That's weird. It's coming through on my google reader just fine.
After a few days of no access I suddenly have access again and can load that URL on any browser.
I don't get it! But I'm very glad it's back!
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Long shot, but don't suppose anyone knows anything about Californian electoral law (or knows someone who does) and wouldn't mind unignoranting me?
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 am

I need some help, Kimmie would be great but any help is appreciated. We have two female cats. Monkey is 5 and Yoyo is 4. Their litter box is in the basement. Monkey just started pooping in the opposite area of the basement from where her box is, same spot every time. She did this a few times, so we moved her litter box over to where she was pooping. This worked for about a week. She is now pooping right next to the litter box. There seems to be something about this exact spot that she likes? The next ideas I have are to get a second litter box because sometimes they don't like sharing with the other cat; and sometimes they like peeing and pooping in separate boxes. And then if that doesn't work, a vet visit to see if something is physically wrong. But since she was able to stop for a week, it doesn't seem like something is physically wrong.

Any other suggestions or ideas?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:06 am

The second litter box is probably your best bet. I've heard about that happened a lot, and I came across it a bunch when I was researching other poop-related annoyances regarding cats. How long have they been catmates? Like, forever, right?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:04 am

Yes, forever. We got monkey first when she was a few months old and then yoyo a year later. They are both females.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:32 am

I need a new cell phone and I'd like to get an iPhone, but one of things I'd like to figure out first is what type of data plan I'll need to get for it. So those of you with iPhones or similar touchscreen smartphones how often do you use your phone for internet things and how much data usage does that translate to on your bill?
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 am

My unlimited data plan was grandfathered in, so I am a very lucky girl. I use a ton of data, but mostly because I am too lazy to input wifi passwords and things.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:06 pm

My unlimited data contract evaporates in November. Not looking forward to it. May need to switch to Sprint, assuming they haven't ditched their unlimited plan by then.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 pm

I only have a 1GB limit since I'm always roaming (yay using local AK phone companies!). I'm pretty good about connecting to wifi when it's available, so it's hard to say how much I'd use if I didn't do that. Mainly, I use data for email, Facebook, random Internet browsing, and maps rather frequently. I never reach even half of my limit. If you're planning on streaming lots of videos, you'll probably want an unlimited plan, but otherwise you can get away with a lot less.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:07 pm

I don't believe AT&T has unlimited data plans for smartphones anymore. In any case, I'll likely try to avoid videos and other high bandwidth activities for a few months until I can get a decent picture of how much I'll be using for "normal" browsing.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Your experience my differ, but with my phone, I only have to use the data plan if I'm away from wifi, so that helps. At home or any place that has free wifi there's no data usage.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:03 pm

The second litter box is probably your best bet. I've heard about that happened a lot, and I came across it a bunch when I was researching other poop-related annoyances regarding cats. How long have they been catmates? Like, forever, right?
This is also what I would suggest. I think i've been lucky though, I have three female cats and they all share one litter box with no problems (although, i'm really good with keeping it pretty clean). We had Buffy and Lulamay first and when I first brought Keeker's home (about a two year gap between them) I had to have separate boxes until Keeker's was old/big enough to hop into their box. Since then there's been no major problem.

There was a time Lulamay peed on Will in his sleep, but that was stress related.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I've had an iPhone for about a year and have never hit my 200MB limit. Usually I come in around 80-100MB, but I've been as low as 20MB and as high as 170MB.

I always connect to my wifi at home or the office, which probably helps.

My recommendation: go with a smaller plan, monitor your usage and upgrade later if you need a larger plan.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:31 am

Our work has been sending out emails scolding everyone not to connect to one of the six wifi networks for our floor with our phones or laptops. ethernet only, the smart phones were all clogging the system.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:26 am

I need some help, Kimmie would be great but any help is appreciated. We have two female cats. Monkey is 5 and Yoyo is 4. Their litter box is in the basement. Monkey just started pooping in the opposite area of the basement from where her box is, same spot every time. She did this a few times, so we moved her litter box over to where she was pooping. This worked for about a week. She is now pooping right next to the litter box. There seems to be something about this exact spot that she likes? The next ideas I have are to get a second litter box because sometimes they don't like sharing with the other cat; and sometimes they like peeing and pooping in separate boxes. And then if that doesn't work, a vet visit to see if something is physically wrong. But since she was able to stop for a week, it doesn't seem like something is physically wrong.

Any other suggestions or ideas?
I would definitely add the second box. The recommendation from behaviorists is that you should have number of cats +1 litter boxes..

Have you changed litter brands recently? If so, go back to the old one.

After those suggestions, it gets more complicated.
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:43 am

Second litter box seems to be working so far. Too well, in fact. As in, both cats seem to be using the new litter box exclusively. And it's a fairly small, cheap box (because I didn't want to spend a lot if that didn't help the problem), so it gets full very fast. Their old box is now sitting unused. Silly cats!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:14 am

Your experience my differ, but with my phone, I only have to use the data plan if I'm away from wifi, so that helps. At home or any place that has free wifi there's no data usage.
My problem and one of the main reasons I'm even looking into getting a smartphone is that I don't have internet at home or work. So virtually all my browsing will be via celluar.
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 am

Ok, guys, I need help.

I need to cut down a portion of a song. I bought the song off itunes, so I don't know if that's a standard mp3 file or what. Clearly I know nothing about anything. I'd like to be able to do it for as close to free as possible, so I don't really want to buy a program or anything to accomplish it, because I can't imagine I'll ever use it again. I just need to trim off the beginning so it starts at a specific point.

It's possible I've never made a request less eloquently. Words are failing me. People more technologically nuanced than I am, please help!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:44 am

Pretty sure Audacity would do the trick and last I used it, it was completely free.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:50 am

You actually should be able to do it through iTunes, if you're trimming off an end. Right-click "Get Info." One of the tabs (I don't have my computer so I can't tell you what it actually says) shows the start and stop times of the song. You should be able to put in whatever time you want it to start/stop and it'll cut it off. If you don't want to mess with the original, I think you can right-click "Create MP3 Version" and make a copy to mess with.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:19 am

iTunes can do it built-in. Audacity is also free and good.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Return to “Milagre Town Square”