Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:53 am

But we did manage to do it, so yay!

:party:

Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Re: 100,000

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:00 am

Woot!
The enemy's fly is down.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:32 am

Nice! :toocool:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm

That's pretty awesome looking.

Hopefully we get to 200,000 a bit faster.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm in the dark here. What's this about?
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 pm

We're back up to 100k posts, which took 6 years to get. In a previous incarnation of P-Web, it only took us one-and-a-half years to get.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 pm

That seems... odd. Surely statistically we'd get there faster because we'd have more users the longer the site existed for.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Incorrect. Not only do we have fewer active posters (though, I guess technically, more registered posters), the active posters we have are no longer in high school or college and thus can't devote hours of their time to posting.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Fair enough point I guess. Why should so many posters become inactive so as to quarter the posting rate though? I've noticed many new people registering lately, even since I've arrived. And quite a few would be in high school or college, I'd've thought... Just my opinion but... oh well.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:01 pm

I could probably write an essay to answer that but the short and sweet of it is, old members have gotten lives outside of Pweb or just don't have the connection they used to have; most new people who come are looking for more conversation about the books and don't seem to be finding each other, whereas the old members spent the better part of at least their first few years on the board (of 12 years it has existed) talking about it and don't have anything left to say. This tends to drive the new members away after a few unrecognized posts; the EG fan community is finite and possibly reached its max sometime in the past few years, and with the internet providing so many other places to go to get Ender news, they don't have to come here or stay here if they find Pweb.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Unfortunately more posting brings more posters which in turn brings more posts. This place had its "glory days" somewhere between 10 and 6 years ago. When through some perfect storm of having web forums as the new and hip social network, a huge crop of students reading the books, new books coming out regularly, and an older round of movie news, we had a ton of active users. Now, people who want Enders news go elsewhere to find it, and people who want to socialize over the internet go to twitter, or facebook to find that.

We have a close knit community here, and we're not going anywhere, we're just slowing down a little.

oh and congrats Pweb for getting to a milestone that we've hit before. :)
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 pm

I guess. It is a shame though. I came here by accident and stayed yes because it was EG fans who I can never find in meatspace but because I like the people, as new as I am I am getting to know them. You have a point but it just seems like a waste of a good site to have new people turn up and turn away just because there are lots of non-EG-related threads. Besides, I made a place that I wished had existed when I turned up not long after my registration specifically for new people to talk about what the hell they wanted and get to know each other. Milagre's meant to be for that of course but as you said you're just not chatting about the same stuff the new people want to chat about. I was directed to the Milagre forum which is just as well because the program I use to magnify my screen only gets one line of text at a time so I wouldn't've seen it without looking. Anyway, I was directed here and found some friends, it just irritates me that other users don't do the same.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:24 pm

it just seems like a waste of a good site to have new people turn up and turn away just because there are lots of non-EG-related threads.

I was directed here and found some friends, it just irritates me that other users don't do the same.
This made me smile. :)

Naturally most, if not all, of us will agree at least with the first part. I'm notorious for the levels of irritation I get, so I agree with that part as well.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:44 pm

Incorrect. Not only do we have fewer active posters (though, I guess technically, more registered posters), the active posters we have are no longer in high school or college and thus can't devote hours of their time to posting.
Yeah. Starting here about 10 years ago now... I would sit here in class and at home after school for hours and hours...
I'd probably have what, 10, maybe 15k plus total posts all names considered?

...Now I wish I had my old Satyagraha name and all my posts counted. =[
Lost in the maelstrom of time.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Return to “Milagre Town Square”