Being An Adult Means

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Being An Adult Means

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 am

If I want to stay up late on a work night, I can stay up late and no one can tell me I can't (and expect me to obey).

What are some things, either good/awesome or bad/sucky, for you about being an adult?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Re: Being An Adult Means

Postby Young Val » Tue May 08, 2012 9:29 am

David and I were talking about this yesterday! He was talking about how much he loves (LOVES) Club crackers because his mom would never buy them when he was growing up.

He said, "I was about halfway through college when it occured to me that I could buy boxes upon boxes of Club crackers all the time now if I wanted to, and no one could stop me!"
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sun May 13, 2012 11:02 am

The gym down the street is open 24 hours during the week, and it just blows my mind that I CAN GO TO THE GYM AT MIDNIGHT if I feel like it. I've done it a few times. No one to scold me that I'll be too tired in the morning!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 13, 2012 2:13 pm

Being an adult means that people expect me to pay bills, etc. on time. I have to remind myself.

It also means that if I want to buy and eat a whole melon in one sitting, no one is allowed to say no. In a broader sense, being an adult means that my kitchen is stocked with the things I like and use. If I don't like canned veg, I don't need to root through a shelf of cans to find the couscous. I use dark soy sauce, and that isn't in the way of someone who doesn't use it.

Oh, and another thing that was important to me: adults eat at a gosh darned TABLE. Not at a desk, not at a coffee table, not in bed. I can eat in those places, but I have an effing table and four effing chairs (that match!), and I can have people over for dinner and have somewhere to put them.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sun May 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Being an adult means that people expect me to pay bills, etc. on time. I have to remind myself.
^ This.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sun May 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Oh, and another thing that was important to me: adults eat at a gosh darned TABLE. Not at a desk, not at a coffee table, not in bed. I can eat in those places, but I have an effing table and four effing chairs (that match!), and I can have people over for dinner and have somewhere to put them.
We have a new place, just to ourselves, and a table. and we eat at that table A LOT and I really like it. Its partially because its hard for me to eat in the living room with the sling and the shoulder pain. But I like to turn off the TV and sit down and eat! It becomes a great time to talk and laugh and have a good time.

Oh and I have my own kitchen with all my foods I like to cook in it. just like you said! and I love cooking we have friends over at least one a week if not more and I love feeding all of them!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 14, 2012 4:25 am

It also means that if you don't clean it, you have to get comfortable living in squalor. No one else is going to pick up after you.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon May 14, 2012 9:01 am

We never, ever eat at the table unless we have people over (which is rarely because of my anxiety issues). We always eat at the couch in front of the tv. Yup, we're those people. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Don't worry, Luet, we're those people too. Of course, we don't have a dinette just yet...
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 14, 2012 5:54 pm

And I'm those other people...I eat in my bed while playing on the internet.

I do have a lovely table, though, if I may say so myself. Currently, two of the four stools are functioning as side tables in my bedroom.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 pm

I eat at the island in my parents' kitchen, currently (not very grown up). Otherwise, I just eat wherever my roommates aren't. Someday I'll have my own place and dine where I will.

For me the best thing about being an adult is that I can go do things whenever I want. Unfortunately, it also entails furnishing my own money to go do those things.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:45 am

I totally forgot to note that I didn't mean to judge those who don't care about eating at a table. That is just something that I, myself, find an important symbol. For myself. And as often as not, lunch and breakfast are eaten on the couch.

Being an adult means that when you're sick, and the baby's sick, and the spouse is sick, too bad, stuff still needs to get done. :( Anyone want to come babysit and/or bring me food?

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 am

Two weekends ago we were up at David's family cabin with all his cousins and their significant others. We were sitting around the fire, and his youngest cousin, Alicia's boyfriend, John was talking about how excited he was for the summer to start. He has one year left of college, and he started talking about how he'd have to start working again at his summer job soon. He and Alicia (who just graduated college this spring) are planning on moving in together in July (they've only been dating for a few months, but whatever). Wow, I really am such a grumpy grown up now. ANYWAY. We were all asking him about his job, and someone asked him what he was planning to do with his first paycheck (I'm not sure why or how that came up) and he said "Oh, I think I'm just gonna blow this first one. On music or movies or going out or whatever." And the rest of us around the fire (all in our late 20s to mid-30s) just kind of sat in silence for a moment until I blurted out, "Ah, youth. I distantly remember what it was like to be able to blow an entire paycheck on nothing..."

Because FOR REAL.

Being an adult means being particular about your (limited) disposable income.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:09 pm

See, I think that's why I never really enjoyed my youth. Being an adult meant lots of positive things for me (freedom, independence, etc) but most of the negative things that people associate with adulthood were thrust upon me fairly young. As soon as I started working (babysitting at 14 or whatever), I used that money for necessary things like school supplies, school lunches and the few fun things I wanted to do. We never had an allowance and were rarely ever given spending money for anything. So, yeah. I was very happy to be an adult and don't have many fond memories of being young.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Confession: I am seriously considering blowing a large portion of my first paycheck from this job on the complete Calvin and Hobbes and Fullmetal Alchemist... I already paid for rent this month, have another paycheck before next month is due, and being an adult means I can do whatever I want with my money once the necessities are done.

Or maybe I'm just feeling rich and frivolous because I realized I'm going to graduate with a profit... Thanks to my mother covering a lot of my living expenses, but still.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm not saying that blowing a paycheck is a bad thing if you can afford it!

Hell, there's plenty of things I'd like to blow mine on if I could. It's just that I can't.

And like Nomi, I started paying for a lot of my own needs (food, clothing, rent, phone bill, etc) at an early age. But I look back on the brief period of my life where my money was truly disposable with fondness.

Oh, the days before bills and bills and more bills! :D
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:45 pm

This upcoming paycheck will be my first full time check with about 15 hours of overtime. I'm really thinking about spending the extra money on finally buying a Le Creuset...
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:55 pm

I really wish I could blow my first pay check! But... bills.

We are going to go out to a nice dinner and I think I'll buy myself a new Fossil purse.

Granted, I'm not sure I could bring myself to spend my whole pay check on something! I've never bought anything as expensive as my whole pay check (at one time, I guess. We did just buy cars which is much more than 1 pay check... but, you know, spread over years.)
-Kim

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:13 pm

I own a car...

Well, I'm still a baby adult so technically I and my father co-own a car but my name is on the title and the loan. Which is way too grown up for me.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Well, I'm still a baby adult
:point&laugh:

Thank you for the laugh. Also, congratulations. It's a bit scary to buy a car -kind of a big commitment if you go new and an almost scarier commitment if you go used.

What'd you go with? (As in, model of, not new or used...that would be tacky to ask and I don't particularly need to know that).

Most importantly, what are you naming it?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:56 pm

It's a 2008 VW Rabbit. I'm buying it from my brother so if it breaks down on me I have someone to blame. It's name is Thumper. :)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 pm

I own a car...
We just bought a car, too!

Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:18 pm

It's a 2008 VW Rabbit. It's name is Thumper. :)
Every time I think I couldn't possibly love you more, I do.

Syphoney bologna! Same questions to you, my good sir; make and name!

ETA: Oooh, pretty color.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:02 pm

2011 Ford Fiesta. We call him Giles, because he's a "smart" car.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:15 pm

I got the reference without the link but woo! Party time all the time in Giles.

:mrgreen:

The Third
Launchie
Launchie

Postby The Third » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 pm

I think I'd echo just about every sentiment about the positives of being an adult...the freedom to not be told I can't do something.

The only real negative is the responsibility of living with the consequences of that freedom. Sure, I can do whatever I please financially, but can I afford it really?

Throw a kid in, and being an adult and making adult choices, like having a kid, and then that freedom gets taken away again. Kind of funny how that works. You're still "free," but you have all that responsibility, which is limiting too. Quite a paradox...

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 pm

... that there's dirt everywhere! And i have to clean it up!

Before, i could just simply ignore it. Dirt and me, we wouldn't get in each other's way. Now, whenever a little bit appears, it starts to mock me. And i have to keep the house livably clean.

Also, the money has become a thing. When i lived with my parents, my expenses were so much more less than my income/savings, that considering money was laughable (because i am also the kind of person that doesn't get into many superfluous expenses). But now my expenses have become a significan fraction of my earnings (specially because the landlady first wanted me to pay 6 months of rent in advance, and then i got her to let me pay 3 and 3 months, with one month of delay between both payments). I have to keep a balance now.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:20 pm

I own a car...
We just bought a car, too!

I just bought one of these babies today!

2012 Hyundai Elantra.

(ETA: Haven't thought of a name yet. Suggestions?)
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Boy or girl, Jason?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:56 pm

I haven't checked. :P

I'm open to suggestions for either. Or something gender neutral and bad-ass, like (Millennium) Falcon, but more original. Yeah, I know I'm a dork.

Maybe "Ninja" because it's black...
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:59 pm

because it's black...
Racist.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Who you calling racist, cracka'?!
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:13 pm

There's nothing to check. Cars are either male or female, more typically the latter, and you just know. You are a terrible father.

I'm vetoing Ninja.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Maybe I just need to drive it more. I pick it up on Saturday after they finish rust proofing it.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 pm

There's nothing to check. Cars are either male or female, more typically the latter, and you just know. You are a terrible father.

I'm vetoing Ninja.
Mine actually underwent gender reassignment temporarily. Under my brother's care, s/he was Trixie, because he didn't want to ride a male car. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”