Zoos, Parks, Libraries, Museums, and Theaters

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Zoos, Parks, Libraries, Museums, and Theaters

Postby starlooker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:39 pm

So, as anybody who has spoken to me recently is very aware, I've been spending a ton of time at the zoo lately. And I am totally in love with the place. So, in order to document my adventures there, I decided to create a thread. And then I thought, "And it should be for anyone to post in who goes to cool places and wants to talk about the experience!" Hence, the title.

Before I start in on my daily adventures, I thought I'd give Pweb a tour of my usual zoo walking experience. Most of the following pictures are from the past two zoo trips, but I do have a few from different excursions.

I swear, most of my posts will not be this long or pictureful. I just have wanted to take people on a tour forever. So, here it is, Kirsten's Daily Sedgwick County Zoo Experience.*

*minus the chimps or most of the Africa animals, because I went late in the afternoon these two trips and they were off exhibit.

To start off, right by the entrance, we have the flamingos. I sometimes ignore them, sometimes enjoy watching them.

Image Image

Onward! Past the petting zoos and to the penguins! Recently when I went, there were three peacocks -- two female and one male -- wandering around up by the penguins! I didn't get a good picture of all three, but here's the male in front of the penguin tank.

Today they were nearly all swimming when I got there! Plus I got there late enough to hear the zookeeper talk about them. I now know how to tell chicks from grown-ups.

I usually skip by the Reptile and Amphibian building and the Jungle building, because 1) they're cool, but don't interest me that much, and 2) part of my going here is for the purpose of being outside. And it takes awhile to walk through those.

And, plus, my favorite part is coming up! North America!

First the grizzly and the black bears. The grizzly bear cave is a nice place to sit when I'm winded, and they're down there a lot lately. (Keep TRYING to get a picture of them up top so it doesn't look like they're always encased in stone, but no luck.)

Image Image

And then the otters! They are my favorite non-cat animal. And they are SO active lately. I think it's the weather. They even went down their slide today! And they squeak at me more often than not, lately.

The first trip, I was just using my camera phone, so I couldn't get any decent pictures. Most of my pictures were like this:

Today I had better luck, and got the following:

Image Image Image Image

And then it's a hike through the North American portion of the zoo. Now, the reason I love this potion is that, basically, it's like walking through a really pretty wooded park that just happens to have bison and eagles and cranes and such. Lots of wood bridges over rivers and streams, and I tried to capture some of the experience.

Image Image Image Image

And, yes, animals.

The very image of patriotism:

Female elk looking bored:

The pronghorn have been a lot less shy lately: Image Image

The view of the top of a bison head from a bridge: Image

And sandhill cranes: Image

Finally, there's the cougar. Now, she's at the end of the trail, and the trail doesn't lead anywhere else -- just loops back, kind of a dead end. So, we make a point to visit her since we're not sure everyone else does. She (well, they) is/are in my top three animals. Sometimes she'll meow or growl at me. It is fabulous.

Today she was just chilling in the den, though. Sleepy-like.

Image Image Image

And then, at the end of all this walking, there is a sight I am always glad to see -- my regular bathroom stop. :stoned:

I don't always, but today I went walking in the Asian forest. Lots of birds. I got a picture of a bunch of non-Canada geese.

And then the leopard. She's an Amur leopard and has beautiful green eyes. Sometimes she's busy pacing, other times she rests. She made the news a few months ago for biting a little boy who went over the safety rails. I'm thankful they didn't euthanize her. I'm not surprised if an animal was going to bite, though, that it was her. She's pretty high strung. But, you know, you might be edgy, too, if there were only 30-35 of your kind left in existence outside of zoos.

Then -- the TIGERS! Lately, the Amur (Siberian) tigers have been on public display. A huge boy named Ivan and his girlfriends, Talili and Zeya (sisters). There are two male Malaysian tigers, as well, although they're going to be placed with another zoo soon. Ivan -- I WISH I'd had my phone or camera the days I've gotten to get really close to him. His size is not to be believed and he is not even quite full grown yet. My hand is dwarfed by his paw.

Napping Ivan: Image

One of the females:

A picture from a few months ago of one of the Malaysians (I think).

After the tigers, I walk to see the gorillas if I am feeling ambitious, as it's a bit of a trek. Sadly, I didn't get any pictures of Okapi along the way, but I did get a picture of these storks. They say their cousin is looking forward to visiting us in a few months.

Also saw this crazy looking crane on the way. Although, really, I am in love with the ordinary looking mallard behind him. Image

Gorillas! I tell you, I was alone in the exhibit building, it was dark, and that gorilla in the shadows was a little on the spooky side, today.

And, then, the LIONS!

The lions have a cub who is SO playful and awesome and interactive. She has big brown eyes like my Reece used to when he was a kitten. She was having a blast on my visit before last pawing at a little boy's feet and following him around right up by the plexiglass. Cutest thing EVER.

Her mom was actually ROARING at someone that day. I've never heard a zoo tiger roar before, but the pride who was not on display and she were having a back-and-forth conversation.

Tiger cub when the little boy went away. So sad!

Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the latter part of my walk. There are caracels and then either chimps or zebras/giraffes, depending on which way I go.

I did, however, get a nice picture of this bridge which is near the entrance/exit.

And that is your tour through my regular zoo walk! So, now when I have cute stories, you will have a little context. Hope you've enjoyed!

(I SWEAR, I will never post quite this lengthy about it again. But I keep imagining showing people around, and this was the closest substitute I could manage! It's the place I feel most at home here, honestly, and so, I want to show people I care for my home away from home.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Zoos, Parks, Libraries, Museums, and Theaters

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:14 am

pictureful.
:stamp:

This is fantastic. I love the light and shadows and I think I even love how most of her (?) is out of the frame.

Whereas this one is just phenomenal. The colors are gorgeous and you captured such a great moment.

I can't wait for more pictures and/or stories. :mrgreen:
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 am

I live in the state capital, Columbia, South Carolina, and we have a wonderful zoo here, the Riverbanks Zoo. It consists of the zoo, a botanical garden, and a short nature trail which leads to the ruins of a 19th century textile mill and the location Sherman and his army camped on the eve of the burning of Columbia.

Today I went to the botanical garden/nature trail with my parents and youngest of my little sisters. The garden is in an in-between time right now as the annual beds have been replanted with winter flowers but they are still very small. But it was the perfect day for a walk in the woods. The mill and location where the army camped are on the bank of the Saluda river, opposite the actual zoo part of Riverbanks. All that remains of the mill are granite stone walls, the largest of which is along the bank of the river and includes a small, though impressive arch (probably 3 feet high, but it is well-preserved).

The topography of the trail is steep and littered with large granite boulders. Though the gardens, zoo, and trail are right smack dab in the middle of the city you would never know it from the trail. Today was beautiful: the trees are all yellow and red, the sky was cloudless and blue, the sun was shining and the air was crisp and cool.

We didn't do the zoo today, it is usually far too much to try to do the zoo AND gardens in one day and would probably be hell on earth to try to include the trail, too. My parents are members, though, and we get to go a few times a year. The last time I went with them was my, at the time, 1 year old niece's first trip. I hope we can get her there again soon (she is now 19 months old) but my sister ended up staying home with my grandmother who is recovering from a small stroke she had last month, so it was just my parents and the youngest two of my three little sisters today.

I have always lived where we had great zoos. I grew up an hour away from this one, lived a while in the Atlanta area which is another amazing zoo, then moved to New Orleans, home of the Audubon Zoo and the Aquarium of the Americas (and now Georgia has their own aquarium thanks to which I have seen whales having sex...). I went to college in the small Mississippi town of Hattiesburg which has an unknown treasure of a zoo. It is a very small, though well designed and populated zoo and it used to be totally FREE! (It is now $5 for adults and $3 for children, still a deal.) The habitats were every bit as well done as the ones at Zoo Atlanta, Riverbanks, or Audubon, just on a smaller scale. It was quite possible to see the entire thing in an hour, and since it was free it was a great thing to do with a free afternoon or even a lunch break. Also a great and cheap date!

Funny story about the Hattiesburg free zoo: It was, and is, an AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) member. AZA member zoos honor other AZA zoos memberships, so if you are a member at one you can get free admission to another. While visiting a friend in Omaha almost a decade ago she took me and my sister to their huge zoo. While we were waiting to get in she was looking at her membership information and excitedly exclaimed, "I can get into your zoo free, too!" We, of course, laughed at her for a while before we informed her that anyone could. :D (Side note: My parents actually paid to join the Hattiesburg free zoo since they had been planning to get an AZA zoo membership and it was one of the cheaper ones, and also to support that particular zoo. Seemed silly to pay for a free zoo membership, but it also got them into other zoos including Atlanta and Riverbanks. Audubon is not AZA, so though they were in New Orleans at the time, they couldn't get in there free with their membership.)

Good grief I write a lot when I drink. Yay, scotch!

[Damn, the scotch made me click quote and not edit, fixed!]

Addendum: There was a time when the twins (my littlest little sisters, the ones who were with us today) could name virtually any animal they saw. We were at the Hattiesburg zoo and saw some creatures we had no idea what they were and their habitat wasn't labeled. They knew right away that they were capybaras, even though they were only like 5 or so at the time. This meant that when we saw an animal in the Omaha zoo which wasn't labeled, we took a picture of it and later (this was before SMS was a big thing or we would have done it right then) asked the what it was and they, of course, knew right off hand.
Last edited by Platypi007 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Today would've been kind of boring, as I went in the middle of the day which is the worst time, but I ran across a woman who is training to be a volunteer. We were walking the same way and got to talking, and I got to tell her various stories about the animals :) And the baby chimp and an adult were having a blast playing together, too, so that was worth it. It was really nice to have some company.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm

So, in order to document my adventures there, I decided to create a thread. And then I thought, "And it should be for anyone to post in who goes to cool places and wants to talk about the experience!"
My "tour" is none of the things listed above but I thought this was the best fit for it, anyway. Though, I certainly could do any of the things in the thread title and maybe I will in the future. I'm posting this because I'm working on the entry for my blog and figured I may as well get as much use out of the work as I can since I'm pouring time into it.

Corner Bakery

Atmosphere:
Every time I've been here, I've enjoyed the ambiance. It's been crowded and near empty but it always seems like a quieter than average, cozy establishment.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (October 2009): Chai and Mom's Roast Beef on Sourdough - With leaf lettuce, plum tomatoes & choice of country Dijon mustard or mayo.

Trip 2 (February 2012): Chai and Big Al's Chili - Our secret recipe topped with sharp cheddar cheese. So good we serve it every day of the week.

Trip 3 (February 2012): Chai and Half Moon Cheese Ravioli - Stuffed cheese ravioli smothered in our vegetarian marinara sauce and sprinkled with Parmesan and Romano cheeses.

Trip 4 (April 2012): Chai

None of these dishes were particularly memorable though they weren't bad, either; the second I had the first week I lived in the area and the third was on my first day of work, when my new boss decided to buy me lunch. All were had when it was still cold out, so both were accompanied by a Chai, the real reason I ever go to this place. As you can see, my last trip there, I cut the crap and got only that.

Portillo's

Atmosphere:
This place was packed, loud, and very engaging. The restaurants are all themed and all packed with items based on that theme, so it's somewhat fun to look around. This is a good thing because I found it very difficult to carry on a conversation with my company when it was so easy to just piggyback on the conversation happening across the counter from me. I don't enjoy not feeling like I'm having a private meal when I go out, so if I went here again, it'd be for pickup.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (February 2012): ITALIAN BEEF sandwich Our own famous recipe Chicago’s #1 Italian Beef served on perfectly baked French bread.

This was ordered for me, so I'm not sure if it was dry, had extra gravy, or was dipped but either way, it was bland. If you ever want something heavy and also want the joy of having meat in your mouth, then this is the sandwich for you! It reminded me of Philly Cheesesteak (the actual meat...this had no cheese) and there was just no comparison. Sorry, Chicago, but in the hot sandwich contest, you lose. The fries were tasty but not enough to make me want to go back anytime soon.

Image Image Image

Potbelly Sandwiches

Atmosphere:
This place was pretty fun. Not going to lie, the ordering line made me nervous (you tell one person what you want, they pass the starter off down to another person who asks what you want to add, etc) because those types of decision-making things always do for whatever reason, but once I got past that (triumph!), it was a fun experience. They have a musician there (violinist in my case, not sure if that ever changes), counter height tables that crowded together but still feel cozy and personal, and while it was noisy, it wasn't overwhelmingly so. Felt kind of expensive but I'm not sure it really was.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (February 2012): Oreo shake and Pizza Sandwich Pepperoni, Marinara Sauce, Provolone Cheese, Mushrooms & Italian Seasoning, Lettuce

Oreo shake = HEAVEN. But then again, those are hard to screw up. The sandwich was so-so. Not terrible, but it seemed to have way more bread than filling and the pepperoni was hard to taste through all the excess Other Stuff. It just didn't pack the punch I was expecting it to and the fact that it took so long to get my shake, my sandwich was merely warm and not hot didn't help. I'm pretty sure the other sandwiches all looked unappealing to me, so unless I am craving this particular sandwich again, I probably won't go back.

Image Image

Mollie's Pub

Atmosphere:
Dark, loud, and had college basketball going on big screens. The first and last were bearable and the middle was expected, given it's a bar. It wasn't crowded when I arrived but got more so after I finished eating. It kind of reminded me that bars aren't really my scene, even if it was rather tame on the whole.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (March 2012) Buffalo Wrap Buffalo style chicken, greens, tomatoes, onions, and bleu cheese dressing all wrapped in a warm tortilla.

Oh baby. This was one of the first mouthgasms I had eating around here. Party in my mouth, though I wish the chicken had been hotter; it was mostly kind of tangy. It was also a hell of a lot of food, given the wrap came with some damn delicious french fries. Seriously, the only fries I've had that were better were in a little shop in Downtown Phoenix and at this point, those are forged in my memory as Fries from the Heavens, so naturally nothing else will ever top them. I would definitely go back here though I'd probably try to go during the day and when it's not cold out, so I could eat on the patio (I think that was an option).

Image Image

Giordano's

Atmosphere:
It looked the most like a tourist trap (possibly because it's right next to the Willis Sears Tower) of all the places I've been but the difference in atmosphere was huge due to the different times I went. It was cozy and quiet the first time and chaotic and almost too full the second time.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (March 2012): CHEESE with 1 ingredient (Pepperoni)

Um, yes please, may I have another? Mouthgasm number two. The way the cheese oozed and then solidified was a matter of both science and magic. The crust was not very bready, which was disappointing, but the toppings more than made up for it. Not only would I go back, I did the next day.

Trip 2 (next day March 2012):
Appetizer: BREADED ZUCCHINI STICKS Tasty and crisp zucchini cooked to perfection served with our famous marinara sauce.
Meal: SPINACH with mozzarella & parmesan cheese

The zucchini sticks were okay. They were hot and breaded and hey, marinara makes almost anything better. This pizza wasn't quite as magical as the one the day before. I don't know if it was a toppings issue, the fact that I just had pizza the day before and my taste buds were desensitized, or if it was simply an inferior pizza overall but while it was tasty enough, it wasn't a mouthgasm, which is what I was hoping for and expecting. Still, WILL go back.

Image Image Image

Cosi

Atmosphere:
It was pretty empty when I went in but it looked like it would be a good hangout. There was very quiet background music and you see the stove where they bake the bread, so that is pretty cool. It almost felt a little too open for my tastes but with a group, I'd probably get over that.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (April 2012): Buffalo Bleu Sandwich The traditional tastes of buffalo chicken over bleu cheese spread and pair it with our freshly baked flatbread for a simply satisfying sandwich

I was shocked when I bit into this because I was expecting a hot sandwich when instead, it was almost chilled (except for the chicken, that is). The chicken was likewise more tangy than hot, which was a tad disappointing but other than that, it was actually a flavorful sandwich despite my leaving off the spread. It also looked small (though not as small as the Potbelly sandwich) but was in fact very filling. I would go back again.

Image Image

Connie's Pizza

Atmosphere:
So, no pictures or ratings here because this was brought in for a staff meeting. Boo, to not having my camera handy. At least I was able to steal the menu off the box for my bulletin board.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (April 2012): Two slices of Cheese and one slice of Margherita Roasted garlic butter, parmesan and Romano cheese topped with fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella cheese.

This was surprisingly good pizza, probably because, from recollection, the crust was real live bread and the sauce wasn't too heavy or too light, it was just right. I would definitely try this place again.

Gino's East

Atmosphere:
This place was Loud, capital L, and although it was playing a variety of pop music from the past two decades (I approve), it wasn't the easiest to talk over/through. It was also really dark in the middle of the afternoon, which made it hard to get around after coming right in but it did make it possible to then have little lit candles at all the tables. Candles are always pretty and mostly welcomed. There was also writing all over everything, which made me sad I had no Sharpie or whiteout pen to add my name to the wall somewhere. It was fun but I don't know how often I'd seek out that sort of environment.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (April 2012):
Appetizer: GARLIC STICKS w/DIP
Meal:CHEESE & SPINACH Taste the legend! Gino's East traditional deep dish pizza with out famous golden crust and chunky tomato sauce.

The garlic sticks were everything I hope for in bread; moist, fluffy, and tasty. When the pizza arrived at the table, it looked so...messy and unglued. It reminded me more of a soupy casserole than a pizza but I tried to reserve judgment until after I ate some. The waitress slapped the slice on my plate and it oozed everywhere. "Screw this," I declared. "I'm using a fork on this one." The crust was flaky and thin, almost like a pie crust, whereas I prefer my crust to be more bready and chewy, though not rubbery. The ingredients themselves weren't bad but the cheese wasn't as stand-out as at Giordano's. Overall, glad I went, wouldn't say no to more, but this tasted best re-heated after a night in the fridge.

Image Image Image

Misc.

I have also had Chinese from two local places and Chinese and deep dish pizza from zero's current town, none of which I will link to so as not to point out either of our exact locations. I also suck and took pictures of none of this and only have menus from two of these places. Ranking them from best to "worst," where worst is still pretty darn good, I'd say:

Chinese - East
Chinese - zero
Chinese - West

I can do that since I get the same thing every time I eat Chinese.

zero's pizza place was actually closest to Connie's pizza here, I want to say. I believe I had Original Sicilian Pan with Cheese and Onion.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Not going to lie, the ordering line made me nervous (you tell one person what you want, they pass the starter off down to another person who asks what you want to add, etc) because those types of decision-making things always do for whatever reason, but once I got past that (triumph!), it was a fun experience.
Those type of places stress me out a little bit. I always end up getting the same thing every time so I have all my answers prepared beforehand.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Okay, I have a few more new places to add.

[Local Pizza Place] I don't want to give the name since it's right down the street from me. They also don't have a website.

Atmosphere:
It was pretty much the dictionary definition of a dive bar. Smelled like smoke, dark, kind of run down, filled with scary people, alcohol and a fish tank. I was a little nervous, to be honest, waiting at the bar for my pizza to finish.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (April 2012) Stuffed Pepperoni: This was a pleasantly, surprisingly spicy pizza. Just your run of the mill stuffed pepperoni pizza with oozing cheese and flaky crust. I rank this above Gino's East and below Giordano's. It's not really fair to compare it to Connie's or zero's local pizza place since it's not really the same type of pizza. To make it better, as I already mentioned, it's right down the street, a decent price, and provides me with four meals. I will have this again at some point but there are way too many pizza joints to check out and not enough money to go around.

Image Image

zero's local Chinese restaurant

Atmosphere:
Chaotic, crowded, busy, but low-key, friendly, and fun. I have yet to eat in the restaurant but that's mostly because there isn't a lot of space and it was full.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (March 2012) Beef Fried Rice: Didn't get a picture of this but got my staple Chinese meal, beef fried rice. Now, to be fair to all Chinese I've had in IL, I've had to forget about the Chinese I've had in AZ, which was amazing. This was some of the best I've had in IL, though. The rice was a bit mushier than I'm used to but it was flavorful in a way that was different than other BFR I've had in this state and that is a good thing. I didn't get a picture but the other Chinese place we went to a few weeks ago likewise had good BFR. I think I'd actually go back to the second place for it over this place but I wouldn't say no to this place and it wouldn't require any arm twisting.

Trip 2 (April 2012) Pork Stir-fry Ramen: Since I had already been here and gotten my staple, it was okay to try something new since I have already compared the BFR to other restaurants. I got the pork stir-fry ramen. Now, when I saw ramen on the menu and it said soup next to it, I expected to be handed a bowl of soup. Instead, I got what's in the picture below. It wasn't bad and I think it may have been tastier even than the BFR but it wasn't what I was hoping it would be.

zero's local pizza place

Atmosphere: I've never actually eaten in here. We've always called in an order when out and about and picked it up on the way back to his place. It does always seem busy, bright, and a fun place to be.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (March 2012) We got half onion, half green peppers, I believe. Great crust; the outer layer is flaky like the others I've had but there's a thick inner layer of crust that is actually like bread: moist and chewy. I was craving this pizza between my first trip and this last trip where I got some.

Trip 2 (April 2012) Half onion, half black olive (blegh). It had more sauce than I remembered and I made a mess eating it (as did zero but I got to wipe his face, which made me giggle a little on the inside) but man, what a great pizza. I'm starting to wonder if I go there to visit zero or to get pizza. ;)

Image Image

Mezza Grill

Atmosphere: None, sadly. We had this delivered at work.

Taste Test:
Trip 1 (April 2012) Beef Tenderloin Kabob - Beef tenderloin marinated in a vinaigrette of lemon, mustard, oregano and spices then skewered with peppers & onions The meat was pretty tasty, though sometimes a little overpoweringly flavored whereas the rice seemed kind of bland. I expected to like the onions more than I did but they just gave me funny face when I ate them; too strong or something. I liked this well enough to not completely oppose trying it again but I wouldn't ever go out of my way for it or crave it. I'm pretty sure it made me sick but I don't think it was food poisoning; more just my stomach not appreciating the cultural diversity.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 03, 2012 9:01 am

I was sitting here lamenting the fact that if I want to go out with Nom I need to spend money and I'm tired of being home all day. Then I remembered this thread and went You idiot, there are a f***-tonne of free places to go in this city, why are you not thinking of them?!

Thank you, thread. :)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:52 am

After my sea kayaking adventure on Thursday we went to the nearby Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. I've driven by it a couple times to look at the bison herd they are building up to re-introduce to the wild, but this was the first time I've been inside to see all of the other creatures. We were able to get surprisingly close, particularly to the bears.

First, we stopped by the moose:

Then the porcupine (poor, lonely guy):

Next was a small herd of elk in a rather small area--I hope they have a bigger one come mating season...

After that was the Musk Ox:

And the brown bears:

We drove past the bison herd without taking pictures because, frankly, they're kind of boring looking.

Next there were the birds:

And last, my favorite:
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:04 am

I need to visit you in Alaska, to see these animals in person but also to see the stuff in the background. It's gorgeous there!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:04 pm

I need to visit you in Alaska, to see these animals in person but also to see the stuff in the background. It's gorgeous there!
Any time! Well, when I'm actually there... It is quite gorgeous, if you don't mind a lot of clouds and rain.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Alea: Also, we need to visit Shannon in Alaska sometime.
zero: sure; any particular reason for that?
Alea: Alaska seems gorgeous and it would give me an excuse to see Shannon again; this is a double win for me.
Alea: I'm inviting you because I think the plan several years ago was to release you, a vampire, back into your natural habitat.
zero: ah okay, the natural place for vampires, of course
Alea: It is! They can go months without seeing the sun there.
Alea: We'll just set you up with a bunch of jelly for neck nibbling and call it a day, very similar to how it was in Free Willy when they reunited him with the ocean and a Michael Jackson song played in the background.

Note how he doesn't deny it.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Which also explains why he refused to meet me in Minneapolis. Clearly there is too much sun there for him. The question is: Is he a glittery vampire or one that bursts into flames?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:50 pm

It's entirely possible he's the type to burst into glittery flames. (Obviously he hasn't let me try to take him into the sun because both would be frightening.)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”