Can we have a Hunger Games Movie thread?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Can we have a Hunger Games Movie thread?

Postby Jayelle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:04 pm

You guys. You guys. This movie was awesome. I am about to go to bed because I went to a late show, but I have so many thoughts. I will share them tomorrow. Share your thoughts if you've seen it. Please.

ETA: As it was said by Neo below, this thread should have spoilers for the first book and movie, but any spoilers for the second and third books, please use spoiler tags.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Re: Can we have a Hunger Games Movie thread?

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:21 pm

I saw it at midnight. I still haven't finished processing it. But it was indeed awesome.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 pm

I'm going to see it on Sunday, but so far everyone I know who has seen it says it was awesome.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:59 am

Okay, awake now. I think it really helps that it's been over a year since I read the books, so they aren't super-fresh in my mind. I'm sure if they were I'd see more inaccuracies. Wasn't Cinna more... flamboyantly gay in the books? Or am I misremembering? Anyway, it seemed very accurate, obviously with changes that made it more cinematic and translate better to the big screen.
I went with Paul who has not read the books (but knows the basic plot) and it was fun to hear his gasps and certain plot points.

Loves:
-Effie. Oh my word, she is perfect. So very clueless.
-The Capital. I love the stark difference between the dull blue-filtered 50's looking District 12 and the bright muliticolouredness of the capital.
--I like too that they didn't do too much of the body modification of the Capital, it would have been a bit too weird on screen.
-The Games themselves. They were exactly what I imagined and I was stunned at the amount of violence they showed, but relieved that it wasn't dumbed down. (**see note**)
-Rue's death, the mockingjays, the paranoia after the wasps... all done well
-I was nervous going into it that it wouldn't be obvious that Katniss isn't really in love with Peeta, but it was. There was a lack of subtlety there, but overall, I liked how it was played.
-The "behind the scenes" for making the games. That was perfect. We don't get much/any of that in the books, but it helped to explain what is all in the narrative of the books. Also... super cool technology.
-Stanley Tucci, you are awesome.
-Beard of awesomeness. That beard needs to become a trend.

Not-so-loved:
-no mention of District 13? I thought they'd want to seed that for the next movies.
-Wow, there was so little of Gale.
-Woody Harrelson seemed too young to be Haymitch.
-The Cinna/Katniss relationship seemed to almost contain some sexual tension which I found very weird. (though, who wouldn't feel heat with Lenny Kravitz?)
-The fire suits were crappy-ass. If it's going to be CGI flames, why not have them fully on fire like in the books? Comeon...

Other stuff:

Okay, guys, here is where my brain exploded. Halfway through this movie, right at the beginning of the Games when all these KIDS are dying, I went "Oh holy crap, they might actually get Ender's Game right." I have never fully been behind an Ender's Game movie, and I am so nervous now that they're making it, but seeing this, my mind has changed. The risks they were willing to take! They didn't age anyone. They straight-up showed freaking twelve year old kids getting their throats slit. Maybe they can actually do Ender's Game right!! Maybe they will get that it's dark and they will treat it like it's supposed to be treated. I am finally excited.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:48 am

They did mention District 13, just very subtly. In the little movie before the Reaping, they say "13 districts rebelled" but the districts obviously end with 12 in the Games. But, extremely subtle.

Otherwise, I totally agree with your take on it.

I loved every minute of it.
Last edited by powerfulcheese04 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kim

Astrid
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Astrid » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:42 am

I'm very excited to see this movie. The entire time I was reading the books I kept thinking "This should be a movie". I work in the TV Broadcasting Industry and I was lucky enough to meet Liam, Josh and Alex (Gale, Peeta and Cato) on Monday. I think I'll wait for the opening weekend craze to die down before seeing it however.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:19 am

What JL said. I thought the flames definitely could have been done better, but since the other costumes were kind of lame, they still were dramatic. I did like the flame work on her red/orange dress better.

I think they sowed enough seeds of rebellion that their subtle District 13 mentions will be fine. Plus, they still have the entire second movie to explain all of that before it becomes too important.

My first thought when I saw Haymitch was that he was a lot younger and better looking than I would have thought, but he still did his job well.

Cato was perfect. As was Rue. I'd completely forgotten about the turmoil in District 11 after she died, so that was really difficult to watch how helpless all of these people really are.

The Caesar dude was also awesome. And Effie. And Cinna. Yea--I thought he was a little more flamboyant in the book as well, but he's supposed to be more toned down than everyone else in the Capital. Without all of the body modifications, having him look more normal seems like a good way to go. I was surprised how much they built up his and Katniss' relationship--I think he got more screen time than Gale--and that's just going to make his death even worse.

This whole movie reminded me of when I first watched the fifth Harry Potter movie: they introduce all of these awesome characters that I have to love, but then I know they're all just going to die.

I loved the behind the scenes game making and scenes with President Snow. It was painful to see how casually those people threw death at kids in the arena, and how evil President Snow really is.

And even though Gale got hardly any screen time, I still loved him. The scene with Prim on his shoulders at the end--I can totally see why Katniss would want to go for that.
Last edited by LilBee91 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:28 am

Oh yeah! Donald Sutherland was a great President Snow. As we were leaving the theatre I told Paul "What they can't show you in the movie is that is breath smells like blood. And they don't say why till the 3rd book." He freaked out a little at this and by the time we were in bed he was all "I can't sleep until you tell me why it smells like blood."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:47 pm

It doesn't matter to me personally because I've read the books, but we should probably be clear about whether this thread contains spoilers for the movie/first book or the entire series. For instance, the talk about D13 and LilBee mentioned something about Cinna in her previous post.

Might I suggest that movie/book 1 spoilers are fair game but perhaps spoiler tags should be used for book 2 and 3 spoilers?

Anyway, I'll be seeing it tonight.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:42 pm

I watched it this morning. I was so impressed by the casting. Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, Donald Sutherland, etc. Jennifer Lawrence even did a decent job.

There were a few moments that I was like, "huh?" But it stayed true to the story, even if some of the details were off. I'm super-excited for Catching Fire!

Also: Haymitch was supposed to be 38... So I didn't think Woody Harrelson was too young to play him.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Good call, Jason. I'll spoiler tag the references to future books. Shannon, can you do the same?

Also: Haymitch was supposed to be 38... So I didn't think Woody Harrelson was too young to play him.
For serious? Man. I totally was picturing him with grey hair. Now I think he was a bit old to play him, he's 50!!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Good call, Jason. I'll spoiler tag the references to future books. Shannon, can you do the same?

For serious? Man. I totally was picturing him with grey hair. Now I think he was a bit old to play him, he's 50!!
Done. Hope that's sufficient. I probably should have thought about that beforehand.

I definitely didn't remmber Haymitch being that young, but it's been a while. I just imagined him a lot fatter, almost like a younger Slughorn.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:49 pm

He was 14 when he won the Second Quarter Quell, which was 24 years before the first book/movie.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Ok, more detailed thoughts:

- The first scene with Buttercup. I laughed out loud. (Though, I thought he was supposed to be orange?)

- I loved Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. I think she did an excellent job of making Katniss likable while also portraying her aloofness and almost whinyness. I laughed out loud at the bow and the "thank you for your consideration."

- I love Liam whatever-his-name-is as Gale. I think Gale got an appropriate amount of screen time in this movie. He's only a character in the first book in Katniss's head, and we didn't spend time there. (The girls next to me squealed when they did the cutaway to him. I wanted to punch them. I do not get the Gale fascination.)

- LOVE Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. I really enjoyed how he gradually changed to appreciating Katniss.

- Effie was great. I loved the "manners!" she yells at Katniss when she pins Peeta to the wall.

- I loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. He was everything I wanted him to be. Yes, less flambouyant than the book, but everything about the Capitol was less flambouyant than the book, so...

- The kid playing Peeta really grew on me as the movie went on. Sweet, strong, capable and totally in love with Katniss. As hopelessly, stupidly and devotedly as he is in the book.

- Loved the behind the scenes Gamemaker scenes. Such a cool space, such a cool idea of how all that technology works.

- I loved the sports commentator mechanism for explaining things to people who haven't read the books.

- Loved Cesar. Hilarious. He feels like Regis, Capitol style.

- The Capitol was perfect for TV. I'm glad they dropped the body-mod stuff. It looks like Lady Gaga's home planet.

- I was so impressed and surprised with how they handled the kids-killing-kids aspect. Bloody, gory and awful, but not super focused and graphic. (I mean, it was graphic but not like horror movie zoom-in-on-the-arterial-spray graphic.)
-Kim

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Read the books, love them although they're not nearly as deep as Ender's Game. The third book is my least favorite,I feel like there was so much that needed to be resolved and that she just decided to write: ok this is what happened. (Very choppy!) I saw it at midnight, waited in line like 12 hours.

-Rue was my favorite part of the movie! So adorable <3
-Attention to detail, the people, the places, everything was detailed which was amazing and really helped bring the book to life without having Katniss saying hey look at all this food and cool stuff that we don't have back home in my poor district 12
-Similarly, I like the way the movie was subtle in the way it was narrated, so that people who hadn't read the book know what's going on
-There was a good mix of seriousnes and lightness (jokes) which was awesome
-When the mutt jumped out, I jumped in my seat! +1 for that lol
-I love the way Lionsgate promoted this film, I hope they give Ender's Game the same amount of publicity
-I'm happy with nearly all the changes that were made in order to make the book into a movie
-Little emphasis on the love triangle yay, at least for book/movie #1
-I'm surprised how much violence they fit into a PG13 movie especially the cornucopia scene

Dislikes:
-Biggest Complaint: The beginning was toooooooo artsy! All those short shots of random things with the camera not focusing on anything gave me a headache and I thought if the whole movie is like this I'm going to hate it, but the whole movie wasn't like that
-Um, I thought Haymich was supposed to be more drunk
- Second biggest complaint: Ok if you read the book you know Katniss is fierce! Examples: She's constantly thinking about how she's going to kill Peeta, and others, and her strategy towards the audience but I felt like the movie watered her personality down a lotExamples: She doesn't try to kill Peeta right after they're the only 2 left, Katniss's Girl on Fire Outfit was supposed by like OMG, and I was very underwhelmed, a lot of her kills in the movie were made in self defense which made her seem not so fierce- I mean they have to make Katniss seem likeable for the movie since there's no internal monologue, but... I needed more
-Relationships in general felt rushed.
-There were a few key lines in there was should have been put in for fans example: "Stay Alive" and "Here to finish me off sweetheart"
-The movie felt "shiny" I know it's supposed to be in the future and the game makers are in control, but so much left fake (like the fires) I just wanted it too feel more real.
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Just got back from seeing the movie!

Overall, I really enjoyed it, more than I thought I would.

Things that were great:

-District 12 was just so bleak. Such a stark contrast to the Capitol.
-Like Jan mentioned, I loved the behind the scenes glimpses of the Games.
-Effie was actually pretty great, even though she was completely different from "my" Effie.
-Ditto Lenny Kravtiz as Cinna. I'm sorry I doubted you.
-Senca Crane being locked in a room with nightlock. Yes, in the books he's hung instead, but I thought this was awesome.
-Katniss's relationship with her mom. SO well done. One of the few relationships I felt was portrayed accurately.
-The scene where Clove attacks Katniss at the cornucopia. That dialogue was lifted almost word for word from the book, and had the potential to be SO CHEESY, but I thought the actress playing Clove nailed it. So taunting and mocking and terrifyingly nasty.

Things that were weird:

-The implied relationship between Glimmer and Cato. It seemed increasingly weird because romance within the Games is supposed to be a complete novelty, which is why it works so well as a strategy for Katniss and Peta.
-Foxface didn't remotely have a fox face. Like, at all. It irrationally irritated me. A lot.

Problems:

-I agree with Cassandra; relationships were not properly developed in this movie. I don't know if they just hoped the book-lovers would fill in the blanks, or the development was sacrificed for time, or what. But neither Rue's nor Peta's relationships with Katniss moved me at all (both do in the book). I did not cry at Rue's death. (I cried almost continuously for the first half of the movie, though).
-Woody Harrelson's Haymitch. I wanted Robert Downey Jr. and if I couldn't have him, I wanted someone that wasn't Woody Harrelson. I did not enjoy his portrayal, and I think the depth of the character was lost on screen. Also, the relationship between Haymitch and Katniss just wasn't working for me in the movie, and I love it so much in the book.
-Katniss wasn't as badass as I wanted her to be. I think they tried very hard to show us the vulnerable, kind side of Katniss, because we can't get inside her head in the movie the way we do in the book. I understand the fear that otherwise the character would come off as cold. But I kinda missed, brave, fierce, mouthy Katniss. You know, the Katniss who is sort of a socially awkward bitch. There were glimpses of it, but eh. I wanted more.
-The mutts. The mutts were a problem. They were boxers on steroids.
-All of Katniss's clothes in the Capitol were completely disappointing and underwhelming. With modern technology, etc, I expected so much more.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Just got home from an early showing.

The only two things I absolutely hated were Katniss's clothes at the capitol (completely cheesy) and the very shaky camera. I found myself looking away when it got too bad.

Other then those two things, I loved the movie!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Carly.
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Carly. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 pm

I agree with the shaky camera. It might not have been as bad if I wasn't sitting in the third row of the theater, but it just made me really nauseous....

But otherwise, it was really great!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:46 pm

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Just got home from seeing it. I really liked it. The only shaky camera part that bothered me was the tracker jacker scenes, which made me pretty motion sick. The only change that I really didn't like (from the link) was #31.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:50 pm

I saw it the second day it was out and thought that it was pretty good. It certainly did the book a lot more justice than a lot of book-based movies do but the shaky camera action really bothered me. It wasn't clear to me what was going on (I have an eye condition but the motion and blurring shouldn't be THAT bad) but otherwise I really liked it.

I am just SOOO tempted to give away the ending of book 3 but then I would be killed by millions of angry fans.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:20 pm

I thought this movie was great! I'm looking forward to the follow-ups!
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:15 pm

The followups should be good as long as the cinematography is better. I don't want any more camera shaking.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:32 pm

The followups should be good as long as the cinematography is better. I don't want any more camera shaking.
I didn't mind it at all, since it was mostly from Katniss's perspective, or approximately so.

Also, I found out Jennifer Lawrence is 2 days younger than me, and now I feel like an old-fart.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I think they did a lot of the shaky camera so they you tone down the deaths of the kids. you saw them die but it wasn't zoomed in lots of blood spray like in many horror and action flicks. I liked how they did that to bring down the gore.
that and the super shaky camera after the tracker jacks what because she was having crazy hallucinations.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Also, I found out Jennifer Lawrence is 2 days younger than me, and now I feel like an old-fart.
You feel like an old fart for being 2 days older than an actress who plays a 16 year old girl?

Imagine being old enough to have to check her age just to make sure that it's not horribly inappropriate for you to find her attractive.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:16 pm

You feel like an old fart for being 2 days older than an actress who plays a 16 year old girl?

Imagine being old enough to have to check her age just to make sure that it's not horribly inappropriate for you to find her attractive.
I feel old for being older than the "young" actors/actresses who are cast to play characters that I still identify as being "approximately my age". Maybe it's just because I'm still used to thinking of "late teens" (and the 20-something actors cast to play them) as "approximately my age", when I am rapidly coming up on 22. I think this is relevant.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm 28 and I'm still used to identifying with the young heroes in films and books.

What's scary is when you realize that you're actually closer to their adult mentors in age. For instance, based on the the dates/ages given in the books, I'm actually closer to Haymitch than to Katniss and Peeta in age. That's actually a little depressing to me.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:48 pm

One of my favourite sites for feeling old: Who have you outlived?

I'm creeping up on outliving Bruce Lee.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:10 pm

I've almost outlived Princess Diana.

And I could now be a grandmother...if I and my imaginary child both got pregnant at 17. *shudder*
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:43 pm

My husband Chris' family has a family tradition of having your first child at 21 going back 4 or 5 generations.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:45 pm

- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:24 pm

One of my favourite sites for feeling old: Who have you outlived?

I'm creeping up on outliving Bruce Lee.
this makes me feel old, and unaccomplished all in one link. How very depressing.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 pm

I think they did a lot of the shaky camera so they you tone down the deaths of the kids. you saw them die but it wasn't zoomed in lots of blood spray like in many horror and action flicks. I liked how they did that to bring down the gore.
that and the super shaky camera after the tracker jacks what because she was having crazy hallucinations.
Yeah, for tracker jacker (how did SC come up with that name?) hallucinations I don't mind the shaky camera.

But for the death scenes, not too much gore but close-up, slow-motion coverage of EACH AND EVERY death, especially at the cornucopia.
It would make me feel more like a viewer of a fight for survival than a kid struggling to catch a glimpse of anything at all.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:01 am

The Cornucopia and tracker jacker scenes didn't bother me. It was the opening scenes, where she's running around the forest and hunting, that made me dizzy.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”