TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Re: TV in General - Rants, Reviews, Etc.

Postby GS » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 am

If you start acting like Shane, you're no better than the thing you're trying to survive and are, in my opinion, worse because unlike the zombies, you know exactly what you're doing. Start losing that sense of humanity along with the world and there's no point in surviving.
I think that is the entire point to the series. After all, the title refers to the surviving humans and not the zombies.

Now on to what I think...

The second half of this season has been really shocking. I was surprised how quickly the group (and story) moved on from the death of Sophia. I really thought the focus would stick with that for a while and the conflict of weather Hershel knew she was in there or not.

Carl hate? I don't really see how you can hate him. I mean he is just being a kid (Unless you just hate kids??). The only thing he has really done that could be hate worthy is being stupid with the mud zombie. But if you hate Dale, then that was probably your favorite thing he did. For me, he has really just been a plot device so far. Namely, him getting shot leads the group to the farm. In the comics, he quickly became my favorite character after Shane's death. He is a kid, but he is the mix for mess. The other kids in the comics are kind of in the background. But Carl has to do some pretty terrible things and it becomes about losing his innocence and then his humanity.

Dale hate? I can see that, especially if you like Shane. But I think his character is needed as a foil to Shane. To go up against someone like Shane, you need to be another alpha male (like Rick) or you need to be able to persuade the group to your thinking. Dale is trying to hold on to civilization because he sees it slipping away. It was really striking that he was the only one against killing the prisoner. I'm not saying that he was correct, but I think it was important for someone to have that voice.

Now for Shane. Was he right to sacrifice Otis? He saved himself and Carl by doing so. Was he right to want to call of the search for Sophia? Yeah, at a certain point he becomes too dangerous for everyone. Was he right to open the barn? Absolutely. But he completely went off the deep end. If it was just about him surviving, then he should have left. He would probably better off alone or with just him and Andrea. And trying to kill Rick has nothing to do with surviving. Shane was driven by jealousy. Rick did what he had to do to survive, but it never should have come to that.

On to the departures from the comics. I actually like them, even if I don't always agree with them. It is more enjoyable for me not knowing what is going to happen, even if I don't enjoy the show as much as the comics. I think they did Sophia's death so well. The payoff of her walking out of the barn was worth them staying on the farm longer and losing her as a character. She is a throw away character for me in the comics. I'm really not sure she did much of anything. I am actually okay with Dale's death as well. It took me a while to get to that point, but I think it was used to advance Carl's character. Does he shoot Zombie Shane without feeling responsible for Dale's death? I don't think he does.

I think next week's episode is going to be crazy. They have killed main characters in consecutive episodes and now there is an army of walkers headed their way? I really feel that anyone could die in the finale.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 am

The Walking Dead:

I don't so much hate Carl as I hate the fact that no one seems to be watching him. He's always sneaking off and showing up at the least convenient times and it blows my mind that his Mom seems to have no clue her son is leaving the house especially while they think someone dangerous is out there! In a house that full of people under a sort of lock down, SOMEONE must have seen him leave!

As for Shane coming back after dead, I think that shows everyone is already infected. I thought back to the CDC about what the scientist could have whispered to Rick. I thought it was that Laurie was pregnant, but he was genuinely surprised by that so now i'm thinking he told him something along the lines of everyone is already infected, and death just kinda triggers it?

I thought it was a great episode and I can't believe there is only one episode left!

I'm excited for upcoming TV though, Mad Men, The Killing, and Game of Thrones all come back soon : )
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:10 pm

To be honest, I think Mad Men has lost me to the extended break. I was OBSESSED for the first three seasons but now? I'm not even a little bit jazzed. It's possible that the premiere will be able to pull me back in, but I didn't really love where the 3rd season left off, anyway, and...yeah. Not feeling it.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:32 pm

I got into Mad Men pretty late, so I haven't had to deal with the big gap between seasons. I could see how it would really hurt the show though, i'm not sure I could have been that patient without losing interest.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 pm

The Walking Dead:

I don't so much hate Carl as I hate the fact that no one seems to be watching him. He's always sneaking off and showing up at the least convenient times and it blows my mind that his Mom seems to have no clue her son is leaving the house especially while they think someone dangerous is out there! In a house that full of people under a sort of lock down, SOMEONE must have seen him leave!

As for Shane coming back after dead, I think that shows everyone is already infected. I thought back to the CDC about what the scientist could have whispered to Rick. I thought it was that Laurie was pregnant, but he was genuinely surprised by that so now i'm thinking he told him something along the lines of everyone is already infected, and death just kinda triggers it?

I thought it was a great episode and I can't believe there is only one episode left!

I'm excited for upcoming TV though, Mad Men, The Killing, and Game of Thrones all come back soon : )
Your theory about what the CDC guy whispered to Rick seems to have become the most popular one, and the one that's most likely true.
However, if Rick knew everyone was infected, why did he want to hang their captive at first - when he would just come back?
Why did he turn his back on Shane after killing him if he knew that he would just come back alive as a zombie?

I also believe that theory. But, there just seems some contradictory moments to the idea that Rick already knows that death is the trigger. Unless he forgot...

I can't wait for The Game of Thrones!
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Your theory about what the CDC guy whispered to Rick seems to have become the most popular one, and the one that's most likely true.
However, if Rick knew everyone was infected, why did he want to hang their captive at first - when he would just come back?
Why did he turn his back on Shane after killing him if he knew that he would just come back alive as a zombie?

I also believe that theory. But, there just seems some contradictory moments to the idea that Rick already knows that death is the trigger. Unless he forgot...
Sweet! (I don't read fan sites or anything, so it's kinda nice when I get things right on my own) I don't know why Rick would want to hang Randell or turn his back on Shane, maybe something just hasn't clicked with him, or whatever the CDC scientist told him wasn't so straight forward. Hopefully we find out next episode.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Sweet! (I don't read fan sites or anything, so it's kinda nice when I get things right on my own) I don't know why Rick would want to hang Randell or turn his back on Shane, maybe something just hasn't clicked with him, or whatever the CDC scientist told him wasn't so straight forward. Hopefully we find out next episode.
Well, he didn't leave Shane...he only turned his back on him because his son being there surprised him. I don't think he knew how long it would take to turn, just that it would happen, and given Andrea's sister took a bit longer to turn than just a moment after having been bitten, I'd say his reaction doesn't negate Fred's theory. There were flashbacks or some sort of images of zombies after Rick killed Shane and before Carl showed up; I think it's reasonable that he might have been thinking about that, anticipating the turn. Unless it was showing something else more obvious that I missed.

As for the kid he wanted to hang, who's to say he didn't plan to whack him in the head after? They might not want to use a gun to begin with because it would draw more walkers to them but if they killed him in what they thought was the most humane, quickest, and most silent way and then waited to do zombie-him in, no walkers are going to know anything happened.

Anyway, I think the comics mention at some point that it's an infection they all live with but I can't be sure I'm not making that up.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 pm

______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________
______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________

______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________
______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________
______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________

______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________

______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________

______________________ ______________________ ______________________

______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________ ______________________
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:58 pm

SUCH a good point, Mich. I never would have thought of it that way.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Mich, you just wanted to join the spoiler-tags club? -_- I actually quoted your reply just to make sure you didnt simply put it in super tiny text.

Well, he didn't leave Shane...he only turned his back on him because his son being there surprised him. I don't think he knew how long it would take to turn, just that it would happen, and given Andrea's sister took a bit longer to turn than just a moment after having been bitten, I'd say his reaction doesn't negate Fred's theory. There were flashbacks or some sort of images of zombies after Rick killed Shane and before Carl showed up; I think it's reasonable that he might have been thinking about that, anticipating the turn. Unless it was showing something else more obvious that I missed.

As for the kid he wanted to hang, who's to say he didn't plan to whack him in the head after? They might not want to use a gun to begin with because it would draw more walkers to them but if they killed him in what they thought was the most humane, quickest, and most silent way and then waited to do zombie-him in, no walkers are going to know anything happened.

Anyway, I think the comics mention at some point that it's an infection they all live with but I can't be sure I'm not making that up.
Oh. I thought the zombie images was more to signal Shane turning into a zombie. As in, to show that his brain is being reanimated and he was about to start acting like the zombies in the images. But yeah, who knows.

I guess that could be right. I don't know, I just feel like he was leaving himself really vulnerable by mourning so close to a corpse that he knew was going to randomly get up and attack him at some point. Turning his back on a potential zombie just doesn't seem prudent. If he knew, I feel like the smartest thing he could think to do would be to stab him in the head immediately. However, as evidence to the possibility that he does know - remember how he made a point to shoot the fat guy in the bar - that tried to shoot them - in the head, after he'd already shot him twice in the chest and he was lying still? Why shoot him in the head if he's stopped moving already? (This was when they went to get Herschel at the bar)

I don't think he was thinking about the bullet attracting walkers as his reason for considering hanging him, because he was going to kill him with a shot to the head later in the show, but quit at the last moment.

Last, when Shane found the two walkers who didn't have bites on them, he was quick to dismiss that they had scratches somewhere. And that's why they turned. However, this could mean he was trying to hide the truth which goes in line with how quick he was to dismiss it an d change the subject, or it could mean that he doesn't know. It can go either way.

Btw- Reading the comments off the website I used to watch the show; you're right. It's been noted that in the comic they do find out that they're all infected and that death is the trigger.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Mich, you just wanted to join the spoiler-tags club? -_- I actually quoted your reply just to make sure you didnt simply put it in super tiny text.
You all looked like you were having so much fun. :(

Row--row.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Oh. I thought the zombie images was more to signal Shane turning into a zombie. As in, to show that his brain is being reanimated and he was about to start acting like the zombies in the images. But yeah, who knows.
That was my take on the zombie scenes also. I also only think he turned his back on Shane because Carl was there (someone please watch this kid!!!).

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:30 pm

this thread should be renamed the walking dead thread.

anyway, maybe it's the wisconsin in me talking, but i actually like henry winkler, even if he is a dork.

take that! (post from like last year)
Ubernaustrum

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:59 am

I may or may not have started watching True Blood with my wife, finished the first season, and be eagerly awaiting the next season to start getting here from NetFlix. Might. Have.

But I'd never admit it if I did.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:28 pm

OMG Walking dead!
Dude the chick (? her legs looked female to me) with the sword and walkers on chains!!!! awesome. I can't wait to see how her charater develops.
I Totally hope they Clear out the prison looking thing and hunker down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 pm

I hate change. Nervous as well as excited for seadon three.

Am very amused by the Mad Men commercials.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Walking Dead:

AHHHHHH!

Not so sure about about the sword chick, seems like she could be pretty cheesy. Was not expecting anything like her though! Excited for the prison building thing!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Michonne! (sword chick!) :frolic: Fred, if she stays true to character, she is a badass. A little crazy but who isn't?

And I am sooooo glad they're doing the prison! YAY!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Am very amused by the Mad Men commercials.
I can't stop laughing at them, "they drink like Hershel used to..."

: P
Michonne! (sword chick!) :frolic: Fred, if she stays true to character, she is a badass. A little crazy but who isn't?
I think i'm on the same page as Kirsten, i'm just nervous over change!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 pm

So, I'm watching Downton Abbey season 2... and I do not get Lord Grantham's character this season. His interest in/flirtation with Jane. It just came out of nowhere and seems so desperately out of character. He was all "Oh I love Cora. Sure, we married for money but she's my whole life" then BOOM "Jane, I want you with every fiber of my being." WHAT?! Stupid, Lord Grantham.
-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:43 pm

YES. SO IRRITATINGLY OUT OF CHARACTER.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I thought that it was kind of explained in that Cora's character completely changed. She was a really different person after losing the baby. Not that it's an excuse, but she was so neglectful of him that he was much more tempted then he ever would have been in the past - especially since Jane looks kinda like Cora.
I do agree that it still seemed pretty out of character.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:10 pm

So we might now be in the middle of season 3 of True Blood. Again with the "might".

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:21 pm

I thought that it was kind of explained in that Cora's character completely changed. She was a really different person after losing the baby. Not that it's an excuse, but she was so neglectful of him that he was much more tempted then he ever would have been in the past - especially since Jane looks kinda like Cora.
I do agree that it still seemed pretty out of character.

See, I think they tried to make it appear that way, but I never particularly bought into it. I think the viewer was clearly meant to feel that Cora was being cold and Grantham's actions were sympathetic, or at least understandable under the circumstances. Ew.

I noticed that he was forced to eat meals alone, etc. but that wasn't just Cora abandoning him. It was all the women in his family. I think the show tries to put the responsibility for Grantham's infidelity on Cora's shoulders, and not only do I not buy into it as a viewer, but I think it's gross.

I also think his position--or lack thereof--in the military started a snowball of an identity crisis and sense of feeling useless. While the women are suddenly feeling useFUL, the men in Season 2 (Matthew, Grantham) are experiencing the opposite, in various ways. But the show doesn't explore that as a reason for Grantham's tryst.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Still slowly working my way through The Wire. It's good, but I'm not sure it lives up to the "Best Show Ever Televised" hype that I saw going into this. Granted I'm only on the second episode of season two, so I have no idea what's in store.

I watch these shows so slowly I'm pretty sure I'll never get caught up on Doctor Who. (I always want to say Dr. Who, but I have a friend that yells at me every single time because Torchwood isn't an anagram of Dr. Who)
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:28 am

Ok, who watched the Mad Men premiere, and should I bother?
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am

I watched it! It really should not have been two hours. Honestly, I was a little bored most of the time. The only parts I thought were great were at the surprise party for Don and when things started to pick up a bit towards the end (maybe the last 15 minutes or so).

It felt really slow, and I kept getting a little bored.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm watching Couples Therapy on VH1 (I know, I know.)

One of the couples is Chris N (from Next Food Network Star. Kind of a "bad boy" celebrity chef.) He's dating some chick from Jersey Shore (Angelina. They just said his name.)

She gets super insulting and is all "He was on some stupid cooking show. Nobody watched it. I'm so much more famous than him. All hedoes is cooking!"

Well.. I have no idea who you are, trashy chick, but I totally watched the show he was on and I love him! At least he has a skill to fall back on! What can you do? Spread your legs? Excellent career skill. Oldest in the world. He deserves so much better than you! I don't know why he puts up with your crap!
-Kim

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 pm

At least he has a skill to fall back on! What can you do? Spread your legs?
Oh no she di-int!

No, but seriously, Next Food Network Star is such a great show, am I right? I'm kind of a sucker for reality shows about creativity, but that one is always awesome. I've watched about three seasons I think, and it's always really, really cool seeing the person occasionally go on to actually do things. So yeah, screw her!

Row--row.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:21 am

I don't know why he puts up with your crap!
It is probably because she spreads her legs.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Ha! (and, good to see you Ed)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:47 pm

:love:

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:50 pm

She must be really good at it. Because I'd betcha he can get it elsewhere with less belittling and drama.

Granted, they say practice makes perfect...
-Kim

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:32 pm

These last few posts upset me, particularly given the furious dialogue happening in the racism, etc. thread right now.

Do we really need to vent our dislike of a female tv personality by saying that she spreads her legs? I don't know the person in question, but I'm quite willing to believe she's obnoxious. But still. The wording makes me intensely uncomfortable, and seems to highlight how--even in casual conversation--derogatory, sexist language about and toward women is acceptable...
The password is "guilty"

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm

I'd like to say I feel bad for thinking Ed was funny, but I'd be lying. I'm not going to explain myself but I will say, despite understanding what you're saying, I don't think my sense of humor in this case makes me anti-female or insensitive or whatever. *shrug*

Return to “Milagre Town Square”