Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Things that I hate

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Making bad first impressions (which, I guess is really a second impression but still) and looking stupid.

I didn't mail my first month's rent in (due tomorrow) because I stupidly kept thinking, "I'll be there Friday. Which is close enough." I was thinking that because I've been tired and busy and I was being stupid. The landlord doesn't seem upset, I can even make sure it never happens again, but I feel like an idiot. The money is sitting happily in my account, too.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Songs on commercials that have nothing to do with the commercial.

The fact that my phone has developed a hatred of Pweb and will reboot itself 2/3 times when I try to go to various threads. Making me feel even more disconnected.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:43 pm

I've been in a cranky mood all day. The paint I bought for my dining room was supposed to match the swatch I brought in but it doesn't. Instead of being a very light, greyish tan, it's more like a khaki. I hate it. So, I now have to get other paint and just wasted $27. Also, my head is killing me and I feel kind of sick. Blurgh!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 am

I finally downloaded the new firefox and found the url bar search hijacked to babylon (instead of google). This sort of crap infuriates me. Die die die. Fortunately, I found the fix. Still. :lecture: :bash: :grumble:
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Who sets their heat at 80 fahrenheit? I know it's cold outside, but... 80! I was in my boxers, and still far from comfortable.

(Er, not really worthy of hate; but this thread is just a place to put it :)
Last edited by zeroguy on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:59 pm

That's pretty crazy. My comfort level would be around 68 but we keep it at 66 to save money on heat.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Who sets their heat at 80 fahrenheit? I know it's cold outside, but... 80! I was in my boxers, and still far from comfortable.

Oh my god. Let it go. I offered to collect snow in Ziploc bags and throw them on you (the bags, not the snow).

My indoor comfort zone is 78-79ish (small, I know); one degree above that, when it's snowing didn't seem so awful and since I don't pay for heat...*shrug*

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:57 pm

I live in VT, and can't get my dorm room below 74, ever. All them flatlanders must make a ruckus with the maintenance people, because even with my window open in january, my room is still in the mid 70s. At home I'm used to the 62-68 range in winter. Of course, I also hate how much this winter has sucked so far. We haven't had any snow that has lasted longer than 2 days.

[edit]

p.s.

I "hate" when Facebook friends disappear from my list. Alea, did you ditch Facebook or something? I thought we were friends!
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:34 pm

I "hate" when Facebook friends disappear from my list. Alea, did you ditch Facebook or something? I thought we were friends!
Temporarily a few months ago but it wasn't a real ditching. And we were friends; I'm not sure what happened but I'm gonna add you right back on. I always wonder who I lose when I notice the number go down on my friend count but I also don't pay quite that much attention to FB, so I don't know when you disappeared from mine or vice versa.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Temporarily a few months ago but it wasn't a real ditching. And we were friends; I'm not sure what happened but I'm gonna add you right back on. I always wonder who I lose when I notice the number go down on my friend count but I also don't pay quite that much attention to FB, so I don't know when you disappeared from mine or vice versa.
Must have been then. I seem to have reached Facebook friend equilibrium (however many people I friend, I stay within +/- 10 of my current number). Some of them I don't notice when they leave, but there've been a few who disappeared without warning who I actually cared about staying in touch with - you were among them, but I haven't been active enough on PWeb until the movie news picked up again to justify figuring it out.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 am

Of course, I also hate how much this winter has sucked so far. We haven't had any snow that has lasted longer than 2 days.
Yes! Where in VT are you again? And I'll be your friend on FB. Find me through Alea.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 am

Well, I'm from the Middlebury area, but I go to school in Winooski. Also, you found me :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Oh my god. Let it go. I offered to collect snow in Ziploc bags and throw them on you (the bags, not the snow).

My indoor comfort zone is 78-79ish (small, I know); one degree above that, when it's snowing didn't seem so awful and since I don't pay for heat...*shrug*
Also, I didn't realize at the time that he was complaining about you. I wouldn't have called you crazy. :)

And Zero, did you ever think that maybe it was all a ploy to keep you in your boxers? :wink:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:32 pm

And Zero, did you ever think that maybe it was all a ploy to keep you in your boxers? :wink:
Seems like the most logical explanation to me.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:19 pm

I'm with you. Indoors should be warm. This is why I hate air conditioning.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:34 pm

I like it warm but not quite that warm. I think 72 or so would be my ideal temperature. In the winter, when I have to keep it at 68 or cooler, I am cold most of the time and have to wear lots of layers. In the summer, when it is 78-80 in the house, I am pretty warm and have to wear a minimal amount of clothes.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:00 pm

:angel:

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 am

I really hate that I'm known to be fairly talented as far as fixing a variety of machines or nearly anything with an engine, but how can I be so completly befuddled by Julie's washing machine! :bash:

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Everybody hates that guy that comes into the rec room and changes the TV without asking. Especially if it's from How I Met Your Mother to college basketball.

Not everybody likes watching basketball. Everybody loves How I Met Your Mother.

Luckily he left before the episode was over, letting me catch the very beginning of one of my favorite bits: the two-minute date.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am

Doblé post!

I hate that people don't understand that I don't like talking on the phone while eating. I don't like it. It makes me very uncomfortable for some reason. I don't mind doing it while talking face-to-face, but I find it really distracting when eating. The same reason I don't talk on the phone while writing or drawing: I just can't.

And nobody understands this, for some reason. It's always me being unreasonable.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:13 pm

I had to physically hand over my DL from AZ today. I was not expecting that and I was not expecting to be as sad over it as I was. Of all the things I chose to give up when coming here, that I was glad to give up or able to give up even if I wasn't exactly glad about it, that was the one thing I was able to bring that I didn't want to let go of.

I had two, because I thought I lost one last fall but the one I handed over was the most recent one (because I wasn't sure if giving them the older one would be legit even if nothing changed on them but the issue date and picture), the one with the new picture of me that is not the same as the picture on my learner's permit and old licenses when I moved around the state, all of which AZ let me keep when I got replacements. I wasn't going to use my DL anymore. What the hell good would it do me here? What harm was there in letting me keep it?

I love Chicago, I love it with all my heart. The art, the architecture, the atmosphere, the nature, even the weather is pretty awesome for the most part. But to hell with the bureaucracy in this state. ALL of it. To hell with the overly strict requirements for a flipping library card, the likes of which I have never seen, not even at my work library (they require a proof of address and ANY photo ID, period). To hell with the requirement of handing over way personal information for flipping internet and electricity and making it near impossible to use the work-arounds. To hell with the god damn DMV.

If this weren't Chicago and all the good things that come with that distinction, if I had wanted to move anywhere else and knew about this garbage, I would have said to hell with it and stayed in AZ.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Also, I didn't realize at the time that he was complaining about you. I wouldn't have called you crazy. :)
Psh, but she is. She's totally being hysterical and needs to calm down.
The problem is, that's getting near "zero in boxers and still physically ill" temperature. I don't think anyone wanted that.
Everybody loves How I Met Your Mother.
*uncomfortable silence*

Re: phone while eating... like, eating a meal? I don't think I usually see people doing that; I can't really imagine doing it myself. Eating causes too much delay while talking, and the person on the other end has no visual cues to see why you haven't responded to a question.

I don't quite get it, though... people find it unreasonable that you stop eating when a call comes in or something? "how dare you pay so much attention to me"? what?

dgf hhw

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Whoops, I meant to actually use this thread. Well, double-post, whatever.

I'm not sure if I've complained about this before, but... I cannot stand domain name speculators. I was only really aware of them a couple of years ago or so (well, I mean, I knew before that that they existed in some fashion, but not specifically how...), when I wanted to get a domain that was already taken, but only used for adspace. I looked around at how you typically acquire them, got disgusted, etc etc. I don't come into contact with this space very often, but when I do...

It's just, seeing some of these communities, it makes me want to scream at these people how they're the scum of the earth, looking for quick money without expending effort, etc etc. There are speculators in nearly everything of course, and maybe I hate all of them and these are just the only ones I came into contact with... but it just seems even more stupid here. There are no "resources" like with land, there's no work or upkeep you can perform... it's just a name. (And the amounts of money in question are staggeringly different.)

But domains and such are broken in numerous different ways (not counting dns itself); everyone knows it, nobody can do anything, nothing new here. But every so often it can feel good to just complain about it. Meh, it could always be worse.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 am

Please excuse the melodrama but it can't be helped. Rather, it can, I just don't want to help it at the moment.

More library/bureaucracy hate about to go on.

I need a character reference to get a library card? Are you f****** kidding me? Oh, it has to be someone who knows me well in the Chicago area? Okay! Let me just call Oprah and ask her if she's cool with that; if she's not, I'll ring up all my other close, personal friends I've made in the past few weeks.

Besides that, the amount of personal information they required I provide for this stupid card leaves me feeling a thousand times more violated than I've ever felt under, say, TSA and they have had to pat me down and touch me in places and ways only Teresa has (love you, dear) on three of my last three flights.

I've belonged to three different library systems in AZ, four if you count the university, and am now a card holder at two libraries in Chicago area suburbs (one of which gives me access to ~80 libraries, the other of which only works at work) and of those 5 different cards I've held (6 counting the university), only one has been this strict and asked for as much personal information.

I am thoroughly annoyed and disgusted. To irrational levels, I know.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 am

I need a character reference to get a library card?
Wot.

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:07 pm

That's just ridiculous. Do they have top secret government documents or rare archival texts or something?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:19 pm

when snores reach me through the air vents and the walls at 2am.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 pm

That's just ridiculous. Do they have top secret government documents or rare archival texts or something?
Not from what I can tell, having been there only 5 or so times. It's this teeny, tiny little library that doesn't have much more than your standard small collection of NF, Adult Fic, YA, Juv, periodicals, and A/V. I'm telling you, they are crazy. And mean/cranky. But now that they've given me a physical card, I can go to the village north of me and use their materials, too. If my work "card" had allowed me that privilege, I wouldn't have bothered in my village.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:04 pm

My car. The fuel pump, and the little plate that allows connections for the fuel pump and fuel level sending unit to pass through to the rest of the car, and the electrical connector for the fuel pump which has apparently been arcing for frell knows how long and burned a hole in the connector on the plate, and the fact that only Nissan sells the part, and that they don't have it in stock, and won't take my gorram credit card over the phone to go ahead and order it SINCE I DON'T HAVE A WORKING CAR WITH WHICH TO DRIVE OUT THERE TO PAY YOU IN FREAKING PERSON a****** PARTS MAN, and the smell of gasoline permeating my very BEING for the past three hours, and having the parts of my back seat strewn about my living room, and probably not having an operational car until sometime next week thanks to Nissan's a****** policy about not taking my payment over the phone for a part I need to order...

I think that is all for now. I probably have other things to add to that terribly long rant up there that I just can't remember because I'm so pissed off and distracted by the CONSTANT SMELL OF FUEL.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:21 pm

I hate super stressful conference calls where it turns into a he-said, she-said situation. :(

I feel drained.

Maybe I should have a good stiff drink before bed. ;)
Pweb member since 2000

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:41 pm

I hope your day is better today, Ela!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks, steph. It was. Albeit a quite a bit longer than I had planned!

I still have to meet those of the negative con call for an intense weekend meeting this coming weekend. Not looking forward to that AT ALL. :(
Pweb member since 2000

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:48 pm

The fact that the interior of my car reeks of gasoline from having the gas tank unsealed and open inside the cabin for a week. At least it runs now, though. Maybe having the windows cracked all afternoon today will have helped.

I also hate that I didn't have anything with which to drain off the fuel in my tank before working inside it, soaking one's hands in gasoline isn't much fun, and when the air is cool it is cold when it starts evaporating. :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Latin errors in Wikipedia. :grumble:
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:02 pm

That I spent almost $9 on the most absurdly average cheese you can think of given that price. 16oz of it, to be exact. What a chump.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”