Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Re: Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Postby megxers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Yeah, I think I mentioned before that I didn't like it very much. I don't see myself giving LeGuin another chance.

Fledgling? As in, Octavia E. Butler's Fledgling?
I will probably still read Earthsea. I've done Lathe, Dispossed, and Left Hand, but I know a lot of people who are partial to Earthsea. And I own it.

And yup. My second Butler. My next will probably be Kindred.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:43 pm

How did you like it, and what was your first?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:39 pm

How did you like it, and what was your first?
I liked it well enough but I am not sure which of the two major theories I subscribe to-- that it was written on more of a lark or if it was intended to be a series. I like the idea of a series because some of the unanswered questions and mythology was what I was more interested in. There were a couple of times where the themes were slightly anvillicous and I half expected theorists to be mentioned (which actually happened recently in a book from last year, with a philosopher I've met, which took me out of the space opera & confused the heck out of me because it wasn't our world? Was it? ). The only other of hers I've read so far is Dawn; it has been awhile so by the time I get to the rest of the trilogy I will probably have to re-read it.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:23 pm

I could not get into Left Hand of Darkness even though it's one of her most famous. However, I loved Lathe of Heaven.
I actually liked The Left Hand of Darkness, even though it was largely forgettable (as exemplified by the fact that I can barely remember what it was about.)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:30 pm

I just finished reading The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I really enjoyed it, though I tend to like non-fiction, especially ones about sociology and human nature.

I also read Atonement by Ian McEwan. I wanted to like this and I did like the overall story. But it started really slow and I wasn't a fan of the style of writing.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:56 am

Did you guys know that James Dashner is writing a prequel to Maze Runner? It's called The Kill Order and is supposed to be released in August according to Amazon.

I'm re-reading Hunger Games. I read them through so fast the first time and it's been several months. I'm also on to The Scorch Trials and The Magician's King.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:16 am

I did not hear about the prequel. Interesting. I'll probably reread Hunger Games one more time (I've read it 2-3 times already) before the movie comes out. I wish we could see it together, Cath!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Hey, prequel, cool. I know it wasn't everyone's favorite series but I really, really enjoyed it. Enough so that I mentioned it in my interview with the library I'm starting with next week.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:57 am

I finally got around to reading John Green's The Fault in Our Stars over the weekend. I'm considering giving up on reading entirely. I'm fairly certain that experience cannot be topped.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:01 am

I'll request it from my library now. Speaking of sad YA novels, I read "If I Stay" on the plane to CA last week. It took me all of two hours to read and it wasn't anything all that special, though it was decent. But here is the amazing thing about it. I have never actually cried while reading a book. I have no idea why. I cry at movies, tv shows, commercials. I cry all the time. But something about the written word just doesn't stir actual emotions in me. But I teared up twice while reading this book. Maybe I was extra emotional but I thought it was worthy of note.

I also just read "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle". It was utterly bizarre but not in a good way, for me. The characters, plot and dialogue were all very engaging. And I actually really enjoyed most of it. But then it relied on this overarching supernatural (but not scifi or fantasy or even anything specific) SOMEthing in order to not explain a ton of the questions left open. It just bugged me. I'm sure some people don't mind it and even like that sort of thing but I didn't, despite liking a lot about it.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 am

I've teared up while reading books previously. I sobbed while reading TFiOS.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 am

That's sitting on my shelf, Chris, and I haven't had a chance to read it, yet. But it's on my shortlist.

Is it better than Looking for Alaska?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 pm

I really liked Looking for Alaska but I think that was sad enough...we'll see about the other. I cry at books all the time, so, if this made Chris sob...

In my reading pile:
Wither - DeStefano - YA
Pure - Baggott - Adult
Under the Never sky - Rossi - YA
Half Upon a Time - Riley -JUV
Tuesdays at the Castle - George - JUV

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Everything John Green does is wonderful.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm about half way through "American Gods" which is my first sampling of Gaiman's work if you don't count the episode of Doctor Who he wrote, or the English dub of Princess Mononoke, which I believe he helped write the script for.

So far I find parts really interesting but they're interspersed between parts I find really dull. In general, I wish things would advance a bit more quickly, but it's holding my interest enough to keep me going.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Yeah, AMERICAN GODS was my first Gaiman as well, back in the day, and it's not the best to start with.

To be perfectly, 100% honest, the long form novel is not Neil's strong suit. At all.

Short stories? Amazing. Picture books and Middle Grades? Amazing. Comics? Amaaaazing.

Novels? He's...gotten better...over time.

Don't get me wrong, the ideas are brilliant, and there are some really fantastic nuggets within all of his books but the execution on the novels? Not fabulous.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:48 pm

I have never actually cried while reading a book. I have no idea why. I cry at movies, tv shows, commercials. I cry all the time. But something about the written word just doesn't stir actual emotions in me. But I teared up twice while reading this book. Maybe I was extra emotional but I thought it was worthy of note.
I don't normally cry when reading books, maybe because it's "slower" than movies/etc. I have more time to process the emotions, or something? So, I think it might have been related to the fact that I was pregnant (and therefore highly hormonal) at the time, but I bawled at the end of "These is my Words". Literally bawled for a good twenty minutes after I closed the book.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Yeah, AMERICAN GODS was my first Gaiman as well, back in the day, and it's not the best to start with.

To be perfectly, 100% honest, the long form novel is not Neil's strong suit. At all.

Short stories? Amazing. Picture books and Middle Grades? Amazing. Comics? Amaaaazing.

Novels? He's...gotten better...over time.

Don't get me wrong, the ideas are brilliant, and there are some really fantastic nuggets within all of his books but the execution on the novels? Not fabulous.
I haven't actually read any of his comics (I know, for shame), but I have to agree with this about his novels. I've enjoyed all of them well enough, but they are nothing to write home about. Despite this opinion, I own a large number of them. Weird. I haven't read American Gods yet, but I imagine I will get around to it eventually.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:05 pm

I was introduced to Neil Gaiman by a friend who gave me a copy of "Neverwhere", his adaptation of a TV mini-series he wrote for the BBC, and I was hooked instantly. I then read his joint venture with another favorite author of mine, Terry Prachett, "Good Omens," which I also loved.

Do check out his short stories, I've read his collection, "Smoke and Mirrors," which has some great stuff in it.

His DW episode is my favorite DW episode with the possible exception of the first stone angels ep. They may tie for first place.

Carly.
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Carly. » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:10 pm

I was introduced to Neil Gaiman by a friend who gave me a copy of "Neverwhere", his adaptation of a TV mini-series he wrote for the BBC, and I was hooked instantly. I then read his joint venture with another favorite author of mine, Terry Prachett, "Good Omens," which I also loved.

Do check out his short stories, I've read his collection, "Smoke and Mirrors," which has some great stuff in it.

His DW episode is my favorite DW episode with the possible exception of the first stone angels ep. They may tie for first place.
Yes! His DW episode was so good!
I finally started The Sandman, and also Signal to Noise, which I absolutely loved. The art was amazing.
I'm taking a class on the history of the graphic novel, so that's mostly what I've been reading lately. The most recent was Ice Haven, which was really interesting.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes! His DW episode was so good!
I finally started The Sandman, and also Signal to Noise, which I absolutely loved. The art was amazing.
I'm taking a class on the history of the graphic novel, so that's mostly what I've been reading lately. The most recent was Ice Haven, which was really interesting.
I've never been a huge comic/graphic novel reader and when I tried to read the first Sandman I had a hard time being drawn in. I did like the story, and found the art beautiful, but I had a hard time reading it since I'm used to there being more words and fewer pictures in my books. :D

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Just read Hunger Games yesterday. Didn't plan on reading it in a day, but alas it grabbed me.

now reading the rest of the books.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 pm

:stamp:
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm currently reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy. Just finished the first book and started on the second. It's pretty good so far. :)
The enemy's fly is down.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Just read Hunger Games yesterday. Didn't plan on reading it in a day, but alas it grabbed me.

I've been trying to avoid it, because I didn't want to get suckered by the movie hype.

Worth the read, then?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:25 am

If I can find the Hunger Games books in the library, I plan to read them. Meanwhile, I have already found a bunch of Pern books, so I'm enjoying a decade's worth of fantasy fluff backlog.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:02 am

Meanwhile, I have already found a bunch of Pern books, so I'm enjoying a decade's worth of fantasy fluff backlog.
Oh lord, Pern. One fantasy series I always forget existed, but man, I loved those.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:55 pm

I've been trying to avoid it, because I didn't want to get suckered by the movie hype.

Worth the read, then?
yeah I'd say so. At the very least it's entertaining. I heard so much about it that I figured I'd give it a chance, and it's completely sucked me in to the point that I read the second book in a day, and I'm mostly done with the third. This is a big deal for me because I don't usually get time to read, and therefore I read slow. It usually takes me at least two weeks to finish a book.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Worth the read, then?
yeah I'd say so. At the very least it's entertaining. I heard so much about it that I figured I'd give it a chance, and it's completely sucked me in to the point that I read the second book in a day, and I'm mostly done with the third. This is a big deal for me because I don't usually get time to read, and therefore I read slow. It usually takes me at least two weeks to finish a book.
I'm convinced. Probably going to download it this weekend.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 am

Someone has offered to lend us The Hunger Games. I'm happy, I was wanting to read it. :)

I just finished Terry Pratchett's "Nation". It was very sad for a lot of the time. It was definitely a Pratchett book, but so very different from Discworld. It was very, very good. Definitely one to add to the bookshelf if I see it in a charity shop sometime.

I noted a while back that I was reading Pern again. I finally gave up on the Todd McCaffrey volumes. The level of absurd retconning made me want to chuck the book at a wall, and that's bad form for a library book. He also has no sense of pacing, suspense, or plausible characterisation. Oh, and the portrayal of 13-year-olds and 16-yo-with-adult sexuality was frankly creeping me out a bit (fairness: no explicitness at all, but the existence thereof was enough for me). I gave the book back to the library without finishing it. I don't know if I've ever given up a book midway like that. I may have, but nothing's coming to mind.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:00 pm

I am currently reading Tempest by Julie Cross. It's pretty fun so far and reminds me of a combination of Jumper by Gould and Time Traveler's Wife.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 pm

I noted a while back that I was reading Pern again. I finally gave up on the Todd McCaffrey volumes. The level of absurd retconning made me want to chuck the book at a wall, and that's bad form for a library book. He also has no sense of pacing, suspense, or plausible characterisation. Oh, and the portrayal of 13-year-olds and 16-yo-with-adult sexuality was frankly creeping me out a bit (fairness: no explicitness at all, but the existence thereof was enough for me). I gave the book back to the library without finishing it. I don't know if I've ever given up a book midway like that. I may have, but nothing's coming to mind.
I read the first one, when he was still collaborating with his mother, thought it was mediocre, and decided not to follow his writing career any further.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:58 am

The co-written ones were mediocre. The ones he wrote himself are terrible!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Finished reading all of Animorphs this weekend! The last couple books were really quite amazing. The ghost-written ones varied between "probably not ghost-written, and I can't put it down" and "this might not even be canon." But the last couple, combined with the Chronicles books, make it a really, really awesome series. Especially Visser! Oh my gosh that one was good.

So that meant I needed to start reading Hunger Games, to participate with all y'all. And I had to stop with laughter on the second page.

She put on her boots... and then her trousers. I don't care how dystopian your future is. Nobody would ever do that. I continued reading later, when I had composed myself, but come on.

Boots then pants. A new trend!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Oh my God, Mich. You're right. I never noticed that before.

... Just... wow.
-Kim

Return to “Milagre Town Square”