Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Re: Confessions of a 20-something mother

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 pm

I had no idea where :chicken: came from until two days ago. My geekery fails utterly at video games, worse than with comic books even.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 pm

Hmm, I didn't know it came from anywhere. Care to share?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:47 pm

They're Zelda cuccos.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Confession:I find it very attractive when a woman demonstrates any form of geekery. (Is anyone surprised by that?) :mrgreen:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:23 pm

See, my little niece would know that. She loves watching my brothers play Zelda.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:29 pm

I am seriously freaked out by an incredible streak of good luck I've had over the last 3 hours. I'm willing to share-- anyone else need some?

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:59 pm

I am seriously freaked out by an incredible streak of good luck I've had over the last 3 hours. I'm willing to share-- anyone else need some?
I'd love a little luck

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Until sometime earlier this week (or maybe it was last week), I had no idea who Reggie Fils-Aime was (President and COO of Nintendo of America). I've seen so many images and memes of this guy for years, and while I knew his name was "Reggie", I always thought it was just some random guy (I mean really, just look at his picture on wikipedia!). To learn that his memetic status is actually a result of things he actually does/did is just.... what
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:55 pm

I'd love a little luck
Sending some luck in your direction :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:49 pm

So, I'm in the trial portion of my FB Timeline thing...my confession is going through my timeline is as depressing to me as going through wayback could be. I see all the people I used to talk to and who used to be close friends who just aren't anymore, for whatever reason, and it depresses me.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Facebook rant:

acquaintance posted on fb that his daughter "professed that she had given her life to Jesus" last night. I guess I should be glad? But I'm not. I'm kind of ragey about it. The child is four and I don't think she's developmentally/cognitively aware to give her life to anything.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm all for anyone giving their lives to whatever (healthy) thing they like. But I understand how you feel. I just tell myself that at that age, it's the same rationalization as saying they've given their lives to Justin Bieber. I'm sure the sentiment is heartfelt, because kids really aren't capable of much other than heartfelt at that age, but they'll rethink it later.

She may very well still come to the same conclusion, but it'll be rethought.

(That's my PC and logical answer. My insides say the same thing yours do.)
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:47 am

I've been having chest pain associated with high stress levels for almost a year now. Today, I found myself standing next to the blood pressure checker thingy in Walmart while waiting for my girlfriend, so I decided to stick my arm in it. The number was high. Hypertension high, not just pre-hypertension high.

I know I should see a doctor, but I'm absolutely terrified. I should have gone in when I noticed the chest pain almost a year ago, but an annoying part of my brain thinks as long as my high blood pressure goes undiagnosed, I must not actually have it.

No more of this s***, Brain. The first thing we do post-Christmas is set up a check up.
The password is "guilty"

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Every time I watch an episode of 30 Rock, I see more similarities between me and Liz Lemon. I think it's a good thing but I don't think most people would. :)

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:52 pm

I think my wife feels the same way, Nomi. :)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Confession: What scares me most about applying to all of these internships for this summer is that I might actually get one of them. It's a little too real-world for me. I don't want to grow up yet...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:38 pm

Confession: I have this strange, slightly OCD-driven belief that whoever posts a 99th post on the total post count has to do at least one more, to get it up to the next hundred.

That's the entire purpose of this confession; I saw my last post was a 99th.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:42 am

I'm avoiding my email again.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:38 am

It was so incredibly difficult for me to write to Secret Favorite Caterers and cut them loose, but I did it. And I just got the most wonderful, touching, beautiful response from them which, of course, only cements HOW WONDERFFUL THEY ARE and how VERY MUCH I WANT TO WORK WITH THEM.

My confession is that after reading their response, I left my desk and went into the bathroom and cried for about ten minutes. Which is so, so stupid. It's stupid. And yet I'm so unbearably sad about the whole thing.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:43 pm

Confession: I have no great desire to read Shadows in Flight any time soon. And I actually liked the Shadow books. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually but right now I don't really care.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Confession: I have no great desire to read Shadows in Flight any time soon. And I actually liked the Shadow books. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually but right now I don't really care.
This. A lot. I reread the Ender quartet quite frequently, and I always get to the point after Children of the Mind, where I want to go on to the Shadow books. And I can never bring myself to it. I reread them once when Shadow of the Giant came out and really just don't have an interest. Although, I do like reading Dave's thoughts as he reads them. Maybe that will spark some inspiration.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:26 am

I am rereading the Shadow books now and have SiF waiting at the library. But reading UnnDunn's review of it has left me less excited about reading it than I already was.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:30 pm

Ditto, ditto.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Confession: It honestly bugs the everlasting s*** out of me that there is a person on this board who is not being a douche to me but rather is treating me as though I don't exist at all (which is worse), who failed to congratulate me on basically making my dream of forever and a day happen, who I considered a friend, who knew me as a decent human being for over 8 years, has almost known me for 9, who is failing to put things in perspective and say, "You know, Alea, you were the most epic bitch there ever was for 2 months there but then, we've all had some pretty bad moments -me being one of the worst offenders- and I'd sure hate to let all those years that you showed you cared about this place count for nothing. Hell, I've been forgiven myself, numerous times, for my past behavior. So I'm going to try to forgive you."

Confession: It bugs me a million billion kajillion times more that I even give a s*** about this person. Because honestly, if they're going to be that way, they don't deserve my time or attention. Two awful months, that I feel terrible about, is its own punishment in my head, trust me on that one and while I'm not perfect, neither are they. I'm not the Anti-Christ and I even took measures to fix the problem.

Confession: I'm not going straight to them, privately, because why bother. They've made it clear my existence disgusts them.

Confession: I keep hoping I'll wake up and the connection to this place will be completely severed.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Confession: I keep hoping I'll wake up and the connection to this place will be completely severed.
I really wish you didn't feel this way. If it makes any difference at all, you are a big part of the reason that I want to come here each day. Yes, if you were gone, I would stay but it wouldn't feel the same at all. When you have been gone in the past, this whole place feels different. So please, stick it out and try to let things morph into something new and hopefully okay. I know it won't be the same but maybe it will be a different kind of good, eventually?

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:10 pm

I don't want to buy it but my confession is I've been reading all the spoilers I can get my hands on.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 am

I am drunk right now, for something like the third time ever. I am incredibly happy. That's all.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:31 am

hehe! I have only been drunk once and the only real effect was that I had to pee every five minutes. I don't remember feeling anything super good or bad. I also was not hungover the next day, so maybe I wasn't drunk enough. I had a pitcher of margaritas by myself.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:00 am

No hangover for me but that's possibly because I woke up twice and drank copious amounts of non-alcoholic liquids each time.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Confession: So it took several years, but I finally decided that, no, I am not someone who is a nice, neat balance between extroverted and introverted: I am, in fact, pretty darn introverted. I just have pretty decent interpersonal skills and the ability to fake it until I make it. I also have some sort of anxiety disorder that revolves around crowds, which was how I was able to get away with fooling myself that I wasn't introverted.

Someone described being extroverted as someone who "recharges by being around other people", and introverted as someone who "recharges by being alone." And I guess that's how I figured it out. It's why I always feel the need to have a vacation when I get back from a vacation, or why weekends where my friends are constantly wishing to hang out are so exhausting.

Also, seriously, this goes in the hate thread, but I had the fact that it's so hard to say "no" when people want to hang out. I know that if I said "I don't feel like hanging out, I just wanted to be by myself this weekend," my friends would jump on me and badger me until I did, citing it being not healthy and such. If I have a stressful week, I do not need to then spend a weekend constantly having to figure out "what we should do now" and "where we should eat."

Phew. /rant
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Confession: So it took several years, but I finally decided that, no, I am not someone who is a nice, neat balance between extroverted and introverted: I am, in fact, pretty darn introverted. I just have pretty decent interpersonal skills and the ability to fake it until I make it. I also have some sort of anxiety disorder that revolves around crowds, which was how I was able to get away with fooling myself that I wasn't introverted.

Someone described being extroverted as someone who "recharges by being around other people", and introverted as someone who "recharges by being alone." And I guess that's how I figured it out. It's why I always feel the need to have a vacation when I get back from a vacation, or why weekends where my friends are constantly wishing to hang out are so exhausting.

Also, seriously, this goes in the hate thread, but I had the fact that it's so hard to say "no" when people want to hang out. I know that if I said "I don't feel like hanging out, I just wanted to be by myself this weekend," my friends would jump on me and badger me until I did, citing it being not healthy and such. If I have a stressful week, I do not need to then spend a weekend constantly having to figure out "what we should do now" and "where we should eat."

Phew. /rant
Hear hear!

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 pm

My introversion-extroversion varies greatly depending on who I'm around. I would argue that I perhaps recharge better around people, but it's a select few people. Many others exhaust me and the rest I'm ambivalent toward. Very rarely do I feel a desire to avoid my friends for the sake of being alone.

It's very similar to how I call myself an Agnostic-Atheist, but there are certainly some belief systems toward which I am a very much a Gnostic-Atheist. I would label myself an introvert, but there are many occasions on which I would consider myself an extrovert.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 am

Confession: I pity people who are germphobic and/or use antibacterial products constantly. Yesterday I was shopping with three friends and after leaving each store, they would all douse their hands with the antibacterial stuff. They offered it to me and I turned it down. I like my germs, thanks! I rarely get sick. I'm quite fine without it. I wash my hands after the bathroom and before cooking. That's it. But I feel judged for NOT using it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 pm

I like my germs, thanks! I rarely get sick. I'm quite fine without it.
Yep. I add that to the list of things people think they do better than me that I'm annoyed by because those people are less healthy than I am, with regards to pains/colds/flu/sickness in general.

Antibacterials? Non-processed foods? No meat? Blah blah blah. I get sick once a year, if that, and I can still function then because it's not a debilitating sickness. All my numbers are great, doctor-approved healthy, I feel fine...but I'm doing everything wrong. *shrug* People are idiots.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:36 pm

I was always under the impression that unnecessary use of antibacterial products is, you know, bad. Isn't that the whole "superbug" problem? You kill off all the least harmful ones and help the most dangerous become more dangerous.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”