The New News Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Re: The New News Thread

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:37 am

There are very few famous people's deaths that have upset me. This is one of them.

The only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Douglas Adams.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:44 am

I'm not trying to discredit or lessen that whatsoever. I understand what it's like to feel upset over someone's death, even if I didn't personally know them, so I'm sorry it has happened. I was simply stating his has not hit me on any real, personal level and pretending it has would be disrespectful.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:58 am

I was already somewhat saddened when he stepped down as CEO and the company's public face a little while ago. I don't buy many Apple products, but I enjoyed his launch presentations.

As a tribute to Mr. Jobs, and to put into perspective how much technology has changed in the last 10 years, I present his introduction of the first ever ipod in 2001
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 am

Feeling sad about it. :(

I read the news on my iPad. Typing this response on my MacBook Pro. First computer was a Mac SE. So I'm a Mac geek from way back. ;)

Also, today's xkcd is relevant to this thread: http://xkcd.com/961/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pweb member since 2000

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:37 pm

CUPERTINO, CA—Steve Jobs, the visionary co-founder of Apple Computers and the only American in the country who had any clue what the f*** he was doing, died Wednesday at the age of 56. "We haven't just lost a great innovator, leader, and businessman, we've literally lost the only person in this country who actually had his s*** together and knew what the hell was going on," a statement from President Barack Obama read in part, adding that Jobs will be remembered both for the life-changing products he created and for the fact that he was able to sit down, think clearly, and execute his ideas—attributes he shared with no other U.S. citizen. "This is a dark time for our country, because the reality is none of the 300 million or so Americans who remain can actually get anything done or make things happen. Those days are over." Obama added that if anyone could fill the void left by Jobs it would probably be himself, but said that at this point he honestly doesn’t have the slightest notion what he’s doing anymore.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Apparently, Westboro Baptist Church (the "God hates Fags" people) already tweeted that they were, essentially, happy that Steve Jobs had died. They tweeted this message from an iPhone.

I wish I was kidding.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:30 pm

I heard about that. I really do not see what they're protesting about him. Then again, I don't get why they protest most of what they protest.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 pm

For all you Appleists out there, myself included:

http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/the-apple-of-my-i/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Mac is like a cat, after all: it can generally clean itself up without assistance, it thinks it's better than you, and people who own a lot of them tend to be weird.
Pweb member since 2000

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Apparently, Westboro Baptist Church (the "God hates Fags" people) already tweeted that they were, essentially, happy that Steve Jobs had died. They tweeted this message from an iPhone.

I wish I was kidding.
Why on earth? What has he ever done that offended them so badly? :?
Pweb member since 2000

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:58 pm

I don't think these people really need a reason any more.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:20 pm

You're probably right. :(
Pweb member since 2000

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:43 pm

What B_w said.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:05 pm

His death wasn't a huge surprise for me, but it's still hitting me for a few different reasons.

I have too much personal experience with Pancreatic Cancer. Way too much. My father-in-law died of pancreatic cancer in December of 2008 after a two and a half year bout with it, and then just this spring, my brother's father-in-law was diagnosed. He managed to fight for about two months before he passed. One of my really good friends lost her mom to the disease as well, and she serves on the board of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network now. I've been to fundraisers, and other events and met survivors. Several of those survivors have since lost their battles.

Pancreatic cancer is a nasty nasty disease, and research for it is vastly underfunded. Today the 5 year survival rate is a mere 6%. In 1975, the 5 year survival rate was 3%. In 40 years, there has been virtually no change. It's the 10th most diagnosed cancer in the US, and the 4th leading cause of cancer death. 75% of patients die in the first year after diagnosis. Here are more facts about the disease.

Not only do I have personal experience with the disease, but I have a significant amount of experience with all the technological aspects of the Jobsian era. I learned to program (logowriter) on an Apple IIGS in elementary school. The first computer I ever owned was a Mac Performa 400. I've had lots of Macs, and my wife currently lives on her MacBook Pro. In addition to the fact that I use GUIs, and other apple inventions all the time.

Jobs was a perfectionist, and a controlling aspect of Apple. When he stepped down, I knew that had to mean his time was short. He was not the kind of person who would have stepped down if he wasn't forced out.

Sad day. I just hope this helps improve Pancreatic Cancer awareness.

As for Westboro Baptist, I'm convinced that Fred Phelps is a scam artist. http://kanewj.com/wbc/ this pretty much sums up my thinking on the issue.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Nice, Windswept one, but you confused me by linking to the second page of the article instead of the first. :P
Last edited by Ela on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pweb member since 2000

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 am

Noodle, having read the article you linked to, I have come to a conclusion:
What a b*****d. That is quite simply disgusting.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 am

The enemy's fly is down.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 pm

The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:05 am

My husband has always hated him with a passion. So, while I'm sad that any person has died, I'm glad he won't be on TV anymore.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:25 pm

I *May* be forced to take back everything I ever said about Canadians: http://johnbuntingsjournal.com/?p=1621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am

if you were in chat last night you already know part of this story, but for the sake of everyone who was there, and others, I'll share something that happened last night.

It's not national news or anything, but I was working late last night and checked twitter and saw mentions of something going down in my city. I looked into it a little more and found out that it was a guy with self-inflicted gunshot wounds laying in a driveway next to a bomb. The authorities evacuated the neighborhood and called in the bomb squad. This is the information I knew as of last night, and it kind of freaked me out. This was going down 3.5 miles from my house, so I called my wife and she had no idea that anything was happening.

This morning I looked it up and discovered that the man was already dead when they evacuated the neighborhood. He died of an apparent suicide, and an explosive device fell out of his backpack. The bomb squad was able to successfully detonate the device in an enclosed space and everyone is now safe.

The whole scenario lead to a few minutes of sheer panic when I called my wife's cell phone and she didn't answer, and then took 5 rings to answer the house phone. She was setting up the christmas tree and had no idea that anything was amiss.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Michigan is on notice: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/0 ... 33946.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:46 pm

That's pretty ridiculous. Of Wisconsin, of course.

I mean, you go to Michigan, ask someone where they're from, they'll hold up a hand and point on the palm to their approximate location. Geeze.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:39 am

I mean, you go to Michigan, ask someone where they're from, they'll hold up a hand and point on the palm to their approximate location. Geeze.
I guess that's fair, if you ignore the fact Wisconsinites have been doing exactly this for as long as I've known anyone from Wisconsin. I'll give you the fact that Michigan's lower peninsula does indeed look like a mitten, but that leaves out a huge section of the state. Wisconsin doesn't believe in alienating our citizens by only recognizing half of our land mass in the state's nickname. I guess if you were to take a sledgehammer to your hand, you could accurately represent both of Michigan's upper and lower peninsulas in mitten form but Wisconsin requires no such self mutilation.

The mittens are off Michigan, and Wisconsin will claim our rightful title.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:10 am

"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14 am

FYI: that happened last year.

The case is currently on appeal, because (among other things) the judge didn't even address the only U.S. Supreme Court precedent on point (which had held in 1972 that Minnesota's prohibition of same-sex marriages did not violate the 1st, 8th, 9th, or 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution).
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:24 am

*facepalm* Can I claim new-mommy brain, just this once?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:59 am

I'll allow it. But just this once! :stoned:
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:35 am

I'll allow it as many times as you need!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm now baffled as to why it showed up in my facebook feed this morning. Apparently I'm not the only one confused today?

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 pm

"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:38 pm

I'll give you the benefit of not being in the US, and therefore probably paying less attention to US news.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Kim Jong-il died today...I wonder what that will mean for North Korea (and South Korea) in 2012.

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Pentagon drafts today’s kids to build tomorrow’s aerial killers
If your first thought when seeing this is that the program is Orson Scott Cardesque, you aren’t alone. The idea of children developing the next great drone is something out of science fiction nightmare, though one of the directors of the program, Dale Dougherty, was quick to point out that the students will not be building weapons for the military. That point seems a bit shaky when coupled with him saying “It’s naive to think the world of tech is not engaged with the military on every level and vice versa.”
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:14 pm

getting kids involved with science, engineering, and other high technology pursuits has to be considered a good thing, though it’s hard to see this particular application as less than insidious.
This, exactly. If it were removed from the DoD/military and done for the sake of getting kids interested in science and innovation and making the world a better place, then absolutely a good thing. But for military purposes? Sick and frightening.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”