The Race Relations/Diversity/Equality Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Re: The Race Relations/Diversity/Equality Thread

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:07 pm

Sigh. People. If anything, I'm biased towards interracial couples--mixed babies are adorable. Then again, I don't know if I would marry someone of a different race. I don't think would have a problem with it, love is love. But I haven't had the opportunity to date anyone of another race so who knows. I thought it was interesting that even though white-black marriages have increased in the US, it's still less than 11%. For some reason I thought it'd be higher. I wonder if it is different in Europe or Canada...

After reading Pweb and that blog post this morning, I've been thinking about how my family responded to my uncle coming out of the closet. I was too young when it happened, so I don't know much beyond what my mother has said and how my family acts now. I don't know the exact order of events, but during the whole process my uncle came out, got divorced, and left his church. He had two young daughters at the time and my family is very religious, so I am sure any of those three would have been devastating to my grandparents. I think I remember his wife, but I could be making those up from pictures. Anyway, my grandpa was angry (kind of his style) and Mom says he blamed my grandma for all of it. I imagine it made for some rocky years and I do not envy what my uncle had to have been going through for all it.

My mom and her siblings aren't very close at all, and she claims my uncle was always weird. My oldest aunt doesn't talk to him, but they hated each other all growing up, so that might not have anything to do with him being gay. My cousins and brothers drop the occasional joke about him. It's like the whole family made him into the crazy relative, and frankly, I'm not that proud of it. We all should act better about it, but since we rarely see him or his daughters no one has had to make an effort to act better. I think it makes most of the family more uncomfortable than anything. No one is hateful about or towards him--he's just quirky. It's not the best response for sure, but I am grateful it's not worse.

I think it was really hard on my grandparents, but they've come a long way. My ex-aunt never took his kids away from him--he always had some degree of custody. When we have major family events, he and his partner are invited. My grandma still has his ex-wife on the family birthday calendar. I think she still considers them married on some level. My cousin's ex-wife got taken off pretty much as soon as they got divorced (no one liked her). My grandma did finally put my uncle's partner on there, so that's something. In her old age, she just wants her children to all get along. My grandpa has dropped his anger--he's just too old to care now. My grandparents went to his partner's daughters' weddings and visit them at least once a year. When my cousin (his daughter) came out, everyone took it a lot better (they all saw it coming, so they were prepared).

My uncle is still the weird gay one of the family, but he's still family. It's not ideal and things probably shouldn't have been as rocky as they were, but I am glad that my grandparents were able to put their love for their son over their uncomfortableness with his lifestyle. I don't think I realized before how many people only get hate from their families, and it breaks my heart.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Sigh. People. If anything, I'm biased towards interracial couples--mixed babies are adorable.
I agree :D .

I always find it sad when I hear people say that they only date others within their own race. I know that it doesn't mean that they're racist. Everyone has preferences when it comes to who they find attractive, but still, it saddens me.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:06 pm

When my cousin and his partner got married, they had to have informal bouncers at the wedding in case the partner's family showed up and caused a big scene. I still think that is just one of the saddest things ever. Not big-scale tragic, like the Darfur crisis or the Holocaust or anything, but really emblematic of humanity's ability to hate. For Pete's sake, if you're THAT opposed, at least just stay away.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks, Shannon, both for the link and the thoughts about your uncle. Both were really touching reads.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Every time I think about this stuff, I remember this line from SftD:
Only one rabbi dared to expect of us such a perfect balance that we could preserve the law and still forgive the deviation. So, of course, we killed him.
It's hard to tell someone who does things you find immoral that you don't condemn them without feeling like you are condoning their actions. To a lot of people it seems impossible. To some people, those who spread such impossible ideas must be blasphemers. I wonder how many Christians would revolt against Christ today. Christianity (and most other religions I can think of) do demand that balance. And that balance is hard.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Siri is better to the boys:

http://amaditalks.tumblr.com/post/13513981784/siri" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Gravity Defier: Yeah, I was Waldo (well, black waldo. Baldo) for Halloween.

Starlooker: Was Rhodes the college you went to? Other than the situations I've outlined, everything's pretty good overall.
I mean, I can't complain about that one time some random frat dudes thought I was cool...apparently because I was black. As, they basically ignored my nonblack friend and five semi-attractive plus female friends...and kept coming up and talking to me. I guessed they wanted me to rush their frat; it was rush season. And most blacks only pledge the all black fraternities.
That was just funny, since I don't consider myself that cool.

Also, I guess I should note that I'm always getting looks from black students, since they all tend to gravitate towards one another. And, I don't. I'm more of a hang out with whoever kind of guy, based mostly on proximity, so I don't know as a high a percentage of black students as most of them do. Who knows if it would be different if I wasn't the only black guy in my dorm, last year. (I know maybe 60% in my year, however most of them all know each other regardless of year) Though, I know a high proportion of Nigerians because Nigerians are my people and we all love each other...I digress.
Anyways, I tend to get these stares from the random freshman or upperclassmen I don't know. Like, a "hmm shouldn't I know you stare?". Like, if they catch me out of the corner of their eye, they'll look over assuming they know me - just to be disappointed that they don't.

Though, I get it mostly from girls. So they could just be checkin me out.

/rambled

On a random note, my roomate(who is gay) once claimed that he didn't want to go to a popular school event because "too many straight people". Oh, and him and his boyfriend once called us "the normies".
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Every time I think about this stuff, I remember this line from SftD:
Only one rabbi dared to expect of us such a perfect balance that we could preserve the law and still forgive the deviation. So, of course, we killed him.
It's hard to tell someone who does things you find immoral that you don't condemn them without feeling like you are condoning their actions. To a lot of people it seems impossible. To some people, those who spread such impossible ideas must be blasphemers. I wonder how many Christians would revolt against Christ today. Christianity (and most other religions I can think of) do demand that balance. And that balance is hard.

I think about that quote a lot, too, because that's the Christ I know. I don't know the Christ some of these people claim to be acting for.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I do agree that mixed race babies are cute, though My mother has like, latched on to this- she explicitly wants me to have a happa baby. She told me this a couple of years ago and I made the mistake earlier this week of telling her about a friend who had just moved back to Hong Kong and she asked me so many questions about him-- he and I went on one very awkward, is this a date? Wait, is it? breakfasts in college. Ease off mother! (I am pretty likely to marry an Asian guy; the vast majority of men I know are Asian, though in the past I have only dated Jewish boys named Daniel)

I did once have a crush on a guy who was a part of one of the campus organizations posted on the previous page & liked one of the nutters STATUS UPDATES on Facebook.

Needless to say, I am WAY OVER him.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:04 pm

This seems inappropriately appropriate:
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:15 pm

I have never heard of the term "happa baby".
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:24 pm

This seems inappropriately appropriate:
I find it much funnier in the context of the episode, myself.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:49 pm

I want everyone to know that I have had "Mulatto Butts" pop into my head at the most inappropriate moments in the past few days.

Thanks a lot, Yeebs.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Some more food for thought that turned up today: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... n-of-women" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was strongly reminded of the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" to-do, and my inability to explain to people why I was bothered by it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Two older women just visited my grandmother. It was quite an odd conversation to overhear. One told my grandmother about a primary care doctor that she would recommend, "He is really good even though he is colored." The other was talking about her new Cadillac Escalade and how it made her uncomfortable driving in the black sections of town because they all stared at her, because you see "they like those kinds of cars". And these women are not even from the south, but Ohio and NY. What is wrong with these people? Is it a generational thing? I guess I have never experienced/heard racist comments firsthand before. It really upset me.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:39 pm

It's a generational thing, trust me. I have a lot of family like that, who just are used to the way things used to be said and never got around to changing their vocabulary.

Or their outlook, for that matter.

But it's more of a... passive racism. They probably don't really even notice, half the time, that what they're saying is racist. That doesn't excuse things at all, but it's just interesting to compare the civilized racism of older generations to the aggressive, almost violent racism I saw among some kids in the South.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:05 am

That reminds me a bit of the Flannery O'Connor I was reading recently. The kind of language being used by her characters was utterly foreign to me and you could see how they thought they were being polite and what have you while still being horrified at their attitudes and language.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:27 am

The best way to determine if something is racist is to ask this guy: http://yoisthisracist.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:46 am

Anonymous asked: Being surprised to hear a white person speaking completely fluent spanish?

Yo, you know Spain is in Europe, right?
LOL :D

I don't know what to say about the whole "passive racism" thing. In a way, it's almost more upsetting to me than the more overt or even violent alternative. The latter is usually based on a sense of fear or feeling threatened by someone different. But the former... I don't know how to explain what I mean exactly, but it seems less based on visceral emotion, but more of a cool-headed intellectual acceptance that people of a different race are inferior to you. Sometimes it comes across more as pity than fear or hate, and somehow, like I said, it almost feels worse to me.

Maybe it's because if you see a cross-burning, hood-wearing racist it's easy to write him off as an ignorant a****** who's probably so filled with hate and insecurity that he's miserable. But how am I supposed to feel about the sweet old lady who holds her purse tighter when I walk by? Or who is perfectly lovely until say I want to date her granddaughter?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:04 pm

A friend of mine and I like to make overly racist comments in front of our 'passively' racist friends and family members. It's fun to see how far they'll play along before deciding we're being 'too' racist, or until they catch onto our act.

Although, it is quite depressing when the person we're trying to make uncomfortable 'out racists' us by honestly being more racist than either of us are willing to joke about...
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:33 pm

I don't say this lightly.

What the f****** f***?

(ps. this is a NATIONAL newspaper)

TL;DR version: The columnist sees some 10 year old boys hug each other instead of punch each other and it's the end of men everywhere. We need more bullies.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:41 pm

It's Christine Blatchford. She's always been nutty. :bash:

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Yeeesh that's nightmarish. And alarming to see someone get such a hard-on for the Fords.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:11 pm

The best way is to take the bully out for a short pounding after school – and may I make it plain, please, that I don’t mean the victims should do this, but rather others.
Really? I'm glad I've never heard of this lady before. She be crazy.

Honestly, I don't think running off to a teacher or parent is the best solution to bullying, but it's a heck of a lot better than perpetuating violence. You can stand up for the bullied without pushing bullies down. Hug on, boys, hug on.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:30 pm

What also bothers me is the complete lack of historical awareness. The characteristics of manliness change over time, and there's nothing wrong with that.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Well, to be fair, it can get a bit out of hand. I hear nowadays some boys or even grown men watch this show about ponies made for little girls.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:54 am

Wow, just, wow. (To the thread Zero linked to).

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Isn't Conservative's Forum a parody, troll forum, though? It's hard to keep track of them all, what with Poe's Law in full effect.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:56 pm

http://www.daniellesucher.com/2011/11/j ... extension/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A very interesting idea. What would the internet look like with all the pronouns and gendered words swapped around?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm not sure I see the point in that. :?
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm not sure I see the point in that. :?
To make you think. For example, the link you posted in the other thread about a female superhero becomes "male superhero". How does that change your perspective? Does it make a difference? Why does is the gender important?
I don't think it's for using 100% of the time or anything, but looking at a news story or the internet for a day with everything switched can change the way you think about gender.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't think using it all the time would be anything more than annoying. But for a day? You'd really think. I think it would be brilliant, say, for a gender-studies course, or a high school sociology class.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:18 am

- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:08 am

I don't know if the questions were "offensive." "Historically insensitive," maybe, but they were not offensive in themselves. "Offensive" is just a lot stronger of a word, I suppose.

Also, using "beatings" as a variable in a math question just seems overly violent, related to black slavery or not.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 am

I'd say that it was simply a bad idea. Not offensive, nor warranting an investigation, but simply ill-advised.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”