Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Re: Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Postby Dobie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:13 pm

There's no debate. I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, and with geometric logic, that Bean_Wannabe is

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Male. (To my mind, anyhow.)
Correct!
We have a winner!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 pm

By golly, I said I was finishing everything by today and I did. I'm all caught up on the comics, at least, what's currently out. There will be a Formic Wars: Silent Strike series coming out at some point. I'm still aiming to have the questions written up and sent by Friday but that's going to require I now get up to speed on some other stuff...so, tomorrow I'll look into that on lunch, if I get free time on Circ, and after work.

Jan, thanks for the kind words up-thread. I've been superficially reading the board for the past couple days, so I'm barely getting to some stuff, that post included. Thanks you for everything. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Alea, I feel like a deadweight in the comics department. What do you want me to help with? I should get the comics by this weekend and be able to read them, but that doesn't help much with a Friday question deadline.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Psh. Not a deadweight at all. I was hoping you could help me make sure the questions weren't tacky/rude/other bad things before I send them and to make suggestions on question order if they seem okay but non-linear.

Whenever you get to these and finish them is still going to be a huge benefit to things; putting all eggs in one basket is a terrible idea. Now we have at least two baskets. :) And much to my pleasant surprise, I think Teresa is interested in reading them now, so even if she doesn't help here, having people get familiar with it seems to breed some excitement. Especially if you walk away with the impressions I did or similar.

But yes, getting this interview finished, on my end, will be a huge relief and then I can look into the IMDB thing (since no one else seems to be jumping at that) and since I figure that will be much less "stressful," I can help you with creative idea brainstorming on the books info.

B_w, how do you feel about creativity and brainstorming and the like? Jan, same question.

Nomi, I'm still thinking but you did say you don't mind bugging people, right? Maybe, if I find some contact info in IMDB, you can start harassing there. I'm also not entirely sure what all we hope to see on this but last year and earlier this year, I spent a lot of time perusing different art sites (deviantArt being one example of many) and trying to contact people about putting their work on Pweb, in a Fan Arts area. If this is something we agree on wanting, would you be willing to do that? Taal said to think of things we like to see on some of our favorite fan sites and art of any kind is what I love most. We all know we can't do/host fan fiction.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Psh. Not a deadweight at all. I was hoping you could help me make sure the questions weren't tacky/rude/other bad things before I send them and to make suggestions on question order if they seem okay but non-linear.
Can do! I have a great tacky/rude/other bad things filter! Though I am sure they will be wonderful.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:39 am

My feelings about creativity and brainstorming are that I would love to help, but won't be much use if you want anything artistic.

I got an IMDB pro trial when I was setting up the Twitter account so I could try and follow anyone involved (though none of them seem to be on Twitter). If you want to give me a list of the info you want off it, I can grab it a ll and post it here?
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:44 am

and then I can look into the IMDB thing (since no one else seems to be jumping at that) and since I figure that will be much less "stressful," I can help you with creative idea brainstorming on the books info.

Nomi, I'm still thinking but you did say you don't mind bugging people, right? Maybe, if I find some contact info in IMDB, you can start harassing there. I'm also not entirely sure what all we hope to see on this but last year and earlier this year, I spent a lot of time perusing different art sites (deviantArt being one example of many) and trying to contact people about putting their work on Pweb, in a Fan Arts area. If this is something we agree on wanting, would you be willing to do that? Taal said to think of things we like to see on some of our favorite fan sites and art of any kind is what I love most. We all know we can't do/host fan fiction.
What is it we needed to do with the IMDB thing? Just get the pro trial account to get contact info? If so, since Bean_wannabe offered, maybe he can post or pm any contact info so no one else has to sign up for the trial account. Once we have the contact info, I'd be happy to start emailing people.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:50 am

From what I can remember, the contact info is pretty sparse. Is there anyone in particular you want the details for, or just everyone involved?
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:18 pm

I just put up a very rough page for Shadows in Flight. I'll probably have the same basic format for each book page, so any suggestions/complaints are welcome. Also, I know the story description is bad, but there isn't a lot of official information to go off of.

I used normal links to Amazon/B&N for the pre-order options. If there is an Amazon associates account we should be using, I can change it.

ETA: Not to jump the gun or anything, since it will be a while before I get around to it, but do we want to have information on non-Enderverse books? And should the comics be a subset of the books or their own category?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:01 pm

*Double Post*

Since we don't have a movie editor, I took the liberty of posting the casting news.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:24 pm

B-W: first, awesome for getting the IMDB thing going! Thanks a bunch. I guess now that we know who Ender is going to be (that's not Ender, pfft...different topic, different thread), we can tweet that info, too, if it hasn't been done yet. Thanks, Shannon, for being on top of posting about it. Taal, when are we sharing the "thephiloticweb" link or advertising it?

Nomi: I guess we've known awhile now about who is doing the movie as far as director, film company, all that. If B_w does have any contact info, then we want to contact whomever to get whatever connections, information, etc. we can. If there isn't contact info, maybe look online and start working our way up the contact ladder? If Taal could jump in and give some help as to what we should be asking for, that'd be great. I'm going to be almost useless until Monday.

Shannon: the format looks great to me, for Shadows in Flight and subsequent books. I have no complaints or suggestions. For now, I'm going to say I personally don't know what non-Enderverse books we'd be trying to plug or should automatically include but if a case were made for one, I wouldn't have any problems with it. If the page were titled Books and Stories, I think the comics would fit okay into it but if it remains as just books, it should be separate, I think.

That's all off the top of my head, though, so I'm not at all suggesting my opinions be taken as my final stance.

I have part of the interview done; I'll have it all typed and ready to be checked over by tomorrow with luck.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:23 pm

B-W: first, awesome for getting the IMDB thing going! Thanks a bunch. I guess now that we know who Ender is going to be (that's not Ender, pfft...different topic, different thread), we can tweet that info, too, if it hasn't been done yet.
Yes, exactly! I think anyone who has been given the account information should be able to do that. Just make the link go to our site, which then reports and links to the folks that broke the news :)
Thanks, Shannon, for being on top of posting about it.
Yeah! Matter of fact, I learned about it first BY randomly stopping by thephiloticweb.net itself. Didn't expect to see that! I better RSS subscribe to it now. You guys are HOT!
Taal, when are we sharing the "thephiloticweb" link or advertising it?
Sheesh, now that there's actually some news coming out, I think we might as well start going ahead and spreading the news as this to be a place where people can go to find all the latest movie news put together in one place. I removed my sample posts.
Nomi: I guess we've known awhile now about who is doing the movie as far as director, film company, all that. If B_w does have any contact info, then we want to contact whomever to get whatever connections, information, etc. we can. If there isn't contact info, maybe look online and start working our way up the contact ladder? If Taal could jump in and give some help as to what we should be asking for, that'd be great. I'm going to be almost useless until Monday.
I would highly suggest contacting Adam (locke), and asking his thoughts on this matter. He is someone who is actually in the industry, and would have some great insight. And perhaps some connections!
I have part of the interview done; I'll have it all typed and ready to be checked over by tomorrow with luck.
Very cool.

Could all this have come at a better time? Since Ender has been cast, I bet we'll be seeing further casting announcements rolling out very soon.

EDIT: Making a brief change to the headline. The report says Butterfield has been offered the role, not that he has accepted/signed, done anything official. So technically, he hasn't been 'cast'.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Also, nice work on the Book page! I would suggest writing out the full name of Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show (IGMS) when it is first mentioned. Not everyone who visits will know what IGMS means :)
Last edited by Taalcon on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:42 pm

I forgot to ask, Nomi. Do you have or would you be willing to get an account on Hatrack to see if you can stir up any fans/help and/or advertise? There are also FB pages where you might go, dropping messages about "thephiloticweb" or something. If you don't want to do that under your own account, isn't there a way to make a page or something for us that's different from what Chris set up?

ETA: I emailed the Pwebeditors account with a little blurb via link on the release of the Formic Wars: Silent Strike comics. Coming out Dec. 2011 and Jan 2012 for issues one and two, it looks like. Amazon has a release date for a hard cover in July, I think it was.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:29 am

If you don't want to do that under your own account, isn't there a way to make a page or something for us that's different from what Chris set up?
I can add admins to the Facebook Page if people want to make use of it.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 am

By the way: about the speed.
MY site is hosted on a shared godaddy account, as I have other sites of mine which have not been adversely affected at all. I found that there are over 2000 other sites being hosted on the same server, and I have no idea if any (or several) of them are specific bandwidth hogs.

Hopefully this slow speed thing isn't permanent. Otherwise, I may have to look elsewhere. It is quite annoying.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:15 am

If you don't want to do that under your own account, isn't there a way to make a page or something for us that's different from what Chris set up?
I can add admins to the Facebook Page if people want to make use of it.

Cool. B_w, are you T.S. on Facebook? If so, we can set you as admin. If Nomi is up for it, she can be set as well. I wouldn't mind being set, either. Shannon would need to reveal herself and join the group to be set.

I also don't have Twitter information to tweet the casting news and haven't checked to see if someone else did it already, so I'm unhelpful in that area.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:17 am

Remember when it's tweeted to keep the language clear that he wasn't actually CAST... he was said to have been offered the role. There's a significant difference, although the offering of the role could very well lead to him being cast. (IE, there appears to be no legal signing/agreement yet). We need to make sure we're accurate and not jumping the gun :)

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:39 am

B_w, are you T.S. on Facebook?
:shock: Discovered! Duck and cover!

On a more serious note, yes I am. What are hoping to use the Facebook page for?

As to the Twitter, I have tweeted a link to the article here, with the title of the article (which definitely does not say 'cast'). I didn't tweet anything else - what's the policy here? Presumably once the site is open to public consumption we will tweet links to our own articles, but for now do we want links or just statements?

Also, if we need anything from IMDB pro you need to tell me before the 25th when my trial runs out.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey all, I already talked to Alea but I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to have to bow out of helping with the website for now. Sorry and I hope I can be of some help at another point in the future.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:56 pm

What are hoping to use the Facebook page for?
To spread the gospel, according to Pweb...within the bounds of rules that prevent spamming. We'll probably not want to do that until/unless the mods and Chris respond over in the other thread.

Taal is the guy to ask about Twitter stuff; I know nothing. :stoned:

Also, if we need anything from IMDB pro you need to tell me before the 25th when my trial runs out.
Okay. Monday is the 21st. I can probably sit down then and try to think of whatever it is I need to think about so I can ask you whatever it is I need to ask you.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Also: If someone is willing to write it out, I can make a graphical timeline/flow chart of how all the books/short stories/original comics relate and take place relative to each other. I'm not talking about the level of detail as Nathan's EG/ES timeline went on a 'within the book' level, but mainly for the purposes of visualizing in general how all the new material fits together.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:09 pm

I added a "Latest Releases" widget to the right sidebar, listing the forthcoming Formic Wars: Silent Strike comic issues, as well as Shadows in Flight.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Also: If someone is willing to write it out, I can make a graphical timeline/flow chart of how all the books/short stories/original comics relate and take place relative to each other. I'm not talking about the level of detail as Nathan's EG/ES timeline went on a 'within the book' level, but mainly for the purposes of visualizing in general how all the new material fits together.
Like this? I know philoticweb gave publishing order but as far as the overarching story's chronological order, this is pretty close. There's a graphic representation with some of this on one of the Wiki articles but it's incomplete. Not sure where exactly the League War takes place, as it rushes the story of what I thought was some of the Shadow series but it's been so long since I read those, I can't be sure.

Are you wanting more detail than that? If so, can you think of what sort of detail?

Formic Wars: Burning Earth
Formic Wars: Silent Strike
Mazer in Prison
The Polish Boy
Teacher’s Pest
Pretty Boy
Cheater
Ender’s Game/Ender’s Game: Battle School/Ender’s Game: Command School
Ender’s Shadow/Ender’s Shadow: Battle School/Ender’s Shadow: Command School
Ender’s Stocking (within EG timeline)
Recruiting Valentine (within EG timeline)
A War of Gifts (within EG timeline)
The League War (Locke and Desmothenes and Earth war…timeline?)
Ender in Exile
Ender’s Homecoming (within EiE)
A Young Man with Prospects (within EiE)
Ender in Flight (within EiE)
Gold Bug (within EiE)
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant
Shadows in Flight
Investment Counselor
Earth Unaware
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 am

...What are all those things?
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:57 pm

Sebastian emailed to say he got the questions I sent (thanks again for the help, Shannon!) and is working on them. :)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Sebastian emailed to say he got the questions I sent (thanks again for the help, Shannon!) and is working on them. :)
Yay! I am way excited to see what he has to say.

I'm going to try to get a few more books/comics pages up tomorrow. I'll be pretty absentee for the rest of the week while I'm my aunt's house for Thanksgiving (in Wyoming, no less, so I may not even exist for a few days). Hopefully nothing too exciting happens news-wise. I'll be so behind!

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:10 pm

So this guy girl (Twitter, Website) seems to be super on top of things. I wonder if she'd be interesting in teaming up and combining resources/sites...

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm

I just e-mailed, as Pwebarchivist, to ask; hopefully no one else has or we'll look silly and unorganized! Oh, wait...*grin*

To be honest, I was ready to ask someone else to do it until I went to the site and saw it was a woman running it. That made it much easier to ask for a collaboration, truth be told.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:05 pm

I just e-mailed, as Pwebarchivist, to ask; hopefully no one else has or we'll look silly and unorganized! Oh, wait...*grin*

To be honest, I was ready to ask someone else to do it until I went to the site and saw it was a woman running it. That made it much easier to ask for a collaboration, truth be told.
Woo! I was just about to suggest that someone do this. You read my mind!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:36 pm

I just e-mailed, as Pwebarchivist, to ask; hopefully no one else has or we'll look silly and unorganized!
Thanks, Steve... ;)

Taal, a possible collaboration is confirmed for later this month; she's a student and will be taking exams here soon, if I recall correctly. I'll forward the email to PwebEditors so you and Shannon can take a looksee if you want. :)

I do suggest, Taal, that you speak to Steve and let him know what's going on in this thread since I don't think he looks in Milagre or knows what we're trying to do. I also suggest you be the person to talk to our mods and techs about what we might need/want going forward with this collaboration; I'll be happy to help think of collaboration ideas and solutions but anything else...

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 pm

What happened with Steve? I'm following the EA person on twitter and I just tweeted them and mentioned pweb, just putting in a good word for us. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:53 pm

He already contacted her/is in contact with her about doing something together. It feels...tacky to me to pester someone and I feel like my email became that, once I found out Steve already started. *shrug*

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:56 pm

She seems like a nice girl, Alea. I wonder what Steve is conspiring. He best not be a traitor :wink:. And I should probably actually look at her site so I think up collaboration ideas as well...
Can I tell you how awesome you are for emailing her? And it wasn't tacky at all.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”