Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Re: Itty Bitty PWEB Website Committee

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:52 am

OK.

So there is now a Twitter account, called Philotic_Web. For some bizarre reason, PWeb and PhiloticWeb had both already been taken. It's currently following OSC, and pretty much every site that had an article on the first page of Google search for 'Ender's Game movie'. Retweeted a couple of articles that looked the most interesting, but most of the stuff is the same everywhere. The news is likely to be pretty slow for a while yet, I guess.

If anyone else wants access to the account, just ask and I can PM you the password.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:55 am

Awesome!

Now everyone on here who is on twitter, go ahead and follow Philotic_Web, and retweet some of the news stuff. That will make your followers aware of Philotic_Web's twitter presence, and those interested will begin to follow, retweet, etc.

A couple suggestions:

1. Fill in your profile image. It needs to be 73 x 73.
Here's one you can use to start off - although feel free to change it, or for others to suggest something else! There just needs to be something distinctive there apart from the generic egg.

2. Fill in a brief description of what PWEB is. Perhaps something like, "An ENDER'S GAME movie, fan, and community resource." - something that individuals would find if they're searching for Ender's Game at least!

3. Again, tell all your friends to follow @Philotic_Web!

Great job!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Taal--have you set me up as a content creator yet? And if so, how do I get on to add stuff? I swear I am not this technologically illiterate most days...

Alea--do you have a date set up for the interview, or a rough time of when you would like to be done with it?

Legal folk--what are the rules for putting up pictures of book covers and comics and the like?

Does anyone have an IGMS subscription? I bought the first few issues, but haven't read any since. I wouldn't mind getting a subscription and include those stories in the books/comic section, but if someone already has one they could just inform me when there's a new issue out and what the Enderverse story was about. I don't foresee us ever having anything in depth on them--just a "hey, a story about [some character] doing [this random thing] was published in [this issue of IGMS]" type of thing.

ETA: If anyone else wants access the the PwebEditors gmail account, I can PM them the password. There probably won't ever be anything exciting in it that isn't posted on the site, but yea...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Alea--do you have a date set up for the interview, or a rough time of when you would like to be done with it?
I emailed him back earlier this week, stating I hoped to have the questions to him by the end of the upcoming week but I can always tell him I need more time if necessary.

Also, I do think the passwords to wordpress, Twitter, or any other account we set up for the group should be sent to all tech people, Taal, and Jan.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:26 pm

LilBee:

I could have sworn I sent you that info in a PM yesterday, but records show I didn't. Must've been a hiccup or user error or something.
Anyway, PM sent. Let me know if you have any questions.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:39 pm

@Philotic_Web:

Great work setting up the twitter feed. I'd suggest hashtagging #endersgame somewhere in the upcoming tweets where you can. I checked, and #Ender doesn't appear to be nearly as relevant for our purposes as #Endersgame in total.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:49 pm

GravityDefier and LilBee:

Just wondering which comic series do you have? I noticed there's a bunch now, from the books adaptations (EG:Battle School, EG:Command School, ES: Battle School, ES: Command School, War of Gifts, Speaker for the Dead, Ender in Exile) , to the Formic Wars:Burning Earth original material.

Perhaps if you both are going through different titles, you could compare notes? Unless you both want to be familiar with it all. Or not. Just thinking out loud :) You're both fantastic for running with this in your own way so quickly.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:04 pm

The ones I have available to send are EG: Battle School and ES: Battle School.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Yes x7
to the Formic Wars:Burning Earth original material.
Yes.

And Recruiting Valentine, Mazer in Prison, and the League War.

I have finished Gold Bug and am on part 5/5 in the EG:Battle School series. Next up will be ES:BS. I'm editing my post in the comics thread with notes as I finish, labeling them all as I go.

Nomi, I've been trying to think of how we can use you. You will be useful, yet. :)

And Jan, whenever you're ready to dive into things, just say so here and between the few of us, we can probably come up with something for you.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:17 pm

:shock: :bow:
Awesomeness.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Who are the 'tech people' I need to send the log in stuff to?
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:35 pm

None have volunteered yet.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:47 pm

I would send a PM to all the board techs, regardless of volunteer status for this particular project. That keeps the passwords to "important" stuff in a group's hands, and a trusted group at that, and not in an individual's, so that should those of you who have it now become unavailable in the future, we can still utilize it.

On that end, if it's not a security issue to do it, I'd either have a thread in the Star Chamber or just send a PM to all mods, too, with passwords. So long as trusted members have the info, I don't see it as a bad thing that many do. After all, it's just a backup measure for now.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Agreed.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:26 am

When I have time, I'll set up special groups or ranks or something so those of you working on other parts of the site will get recognition for it on the forums. You probably won't have any special powers in the forums, though, unless we revive the content forums from last year in which case the editorial heads will be given mini-mod powers in their respective sections.

First, though, I'll need to clean up and simplify the current rank system. As is, the custom titles are tied to the ranks because that was the only way it was possible in the old phpbb2. Now with 3, we can split the titles into their own custom field and get rid of all the individual title ranks. I've actually been meaning to do this for awhile anyway and have been putting it off while I try to figure out how to make it look pretty in the sidebar/profiles/etc, but I guess I should go ahead and do the switch now and worry about how it looks later.

Also, Dave, do you think you could contact Ami about getting the server access we need to make the neccessary upgrades to php and whatever else the techs need to do? She may be more receptive to a member of the original team than she has been to Jan's and Alea's efforts. I'd prefer to have everything on the original domain since it's listed in the books rather than move or have things spread across multiple sites.
The enemy's fly is down.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:27 am

Taal--I got the login PM. I'll spend some time tomorrow figuring out how it all works and possibly put up some of the old stuff. Nomi will be sending me her comics. I can read the rest of them in my college library, though the time constraints could slow it down a bit.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:17 am

OK - all tech accounts should have the Twitter details now.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 pm

My progress on the comics as of this moment:

Gold Bug
EG:Battle School
ES:Battle School
Recruiting Valentine
EG:Command School

ES:Command School
War of Gifts
Mazer in Prison
The League War
Ender in Exile
Speaker for the Dead
Formic Wars - Burning Earth

I'm going to try to get through ES:CS by the end of tonight, maybe also a War of Gifts, but I hope to be done with all of it by Tuesday. My notes are getting shorter but really, the same weaknesses and strengths run throughout, and actually, some of the weaknesses are turned around the further into it gets.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:14 pm

I tweaked the layout/colors/logo again. For a little more familiarity/continuity :) Why reinvent the wheel, right?
http://thephiloticweb.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The strip with the 'classic' cover can be periodically switched out/updated as desired.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:07 am

Apart from some more minor tweaks (can't help myself!), I added a 'Featured Page' to the right sidebar. Currently, it's 'Shadows in Flight', which acts as a link to what will be LilBee's Shadows in Flight info page.
I view the 'Featured Page' as a way to keep one particularly cool new feature highlighted, even if other news items push it down the page headline-wise.

For example, the interview would get its own Featured image and link when it's new, etc.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 am

OhHolyCrap. I go away for the weekend and pweb gets a twitter account?? And this thread is two pages long? Waaaahhhhh!! So much to read!

Seriously, I love you guys.

I'm ready to dive in. Can someone pm me all the passwords and stuff so I can be on board? Thanks.

Bean_Wannabe, I just gotta say, you've been around here for a long time and we barely know much about your personal life (there's been a debate over your gender in the chat), but I love that you're willing to dive in to help with the main site. Thanks for sticking with Pweb, even if we haven't gotten to know you.

Dave, I'm so excited that you're back and willing to be on board. It feels very right.

Alea, Likewise, excited that you're back and I hope that things can be better for you/us as we proceed on this. A new thread with less baggage is a good idea. Thanks for everything.

Everyone else, good show. Let's get this site up before the movie happens (even if I'm still skeptical that's EVER going to happen ;) )
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:58 pm

Jayelle:

Would you like your userid on the PWEB blog to be 'Jayelle', or would you prefer something else?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Jayelle:

Would you like your userid on the PWEB blog to be 'Jayelle', or would you prefer something else?

Yeah, Jayelle is best.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Jayelle, you've got a password in your PMs.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Does Taal's website take a really long time to load for anyone else?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Holy crap. There's some stuff of mine in Ami's archive zip I never thought I'd see again, like the 3D models I made in college of the Battle School, and the Giant's Drink!

MY mind is blown.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm

There's also a very young and dorky photo of me (and Ollie, Kennender, and others) at dinner with OSC, and some of my very first movie posters from the Jake Lloyd days. Wow.

Now I understand how George Lucas feels about the Holiday Special.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Jayelle-

No worries - glad to help! And now I'm debating whether to spoil the mystery and just tell you my gender.

Do you want the Twitter password also?

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Oh, DO tell! We went back and read tons of your posts to try to figure it out! (We found clues -- in particular, your hatred of Sean Connery -- but nothing definitive.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:57 pm

OK, now I'm confused. Which direction does a hatred of Sean Connery point, exactly?

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Male. (To my mind, anyhow.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Correct!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Does Taal's website take a really long time to load for anyone else?
It's pretty slow for me too. But my internet is slow semi-frequently, so that could be compounding the issue.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 am

My internet is fast for everything else but his website takes about 10-20 seconds to open. And pages within it take awhile to open once clicked on, also. I'm using Chrome if that matters.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:21 pm

:stamp:

I do really wish I had more time to be involved in this. I almost volunteered, but had to convince myself I would only be dead weight, which is probably closer to true than I like. I am thrilled for you folks taking this on.
This.

Looking forward to seeing what develops.
Pweb member since 2000

Return to “Milagre Town Square”