Top Chef

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Top Chef

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:02 am

Does anyone else watch? I know there is at least one other person, who hopefully join the discussion. I have been watching since season 2.

That being said, I don't have a favorite this year. This might be for the best because the person I like the most has never won. But I do know that I hate Angelo. Even more after this past week's episode. He is definitely out to get Kenny and trying to sabotaging other people's dishes. And he acts like he is God's gift to the culinary world. I was highly amused when it came out the Ed "banged" his girlfriend at the time. So if you watch, who is are your favorites? Who do you not like? Who do you like/hate from past seasons?

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:04 am

I LOVE Top Chef, but I almost never watch it when it airs. I tend to catch the marathons. I've seen a few episodes this season, but not enough to form any opinions other than the belief that the wild-eyed chick who insisted on cooking chicken in sherry for a cafeteria full of children is crazy.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 am

I have watched most seasons and I really like the Top Chef Masters too. I hadn't realized that the new season had started until Wednesday, so I caught up on most of the episodes (I think I missed the first two) during the marathon then. I like Tiffany and Kenny. I think Angelo and Alex are both freaks.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:52 pm

I LOVE top chef.

I'm mostly rooting for Kenny and Tiffany right now. I'm decidely NOT rooting for Angelo and Kelly.
-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:16 pm

I am super excited for Top Chef Just Desserts!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:20 pm

I saw a few episodes of Top Chef Masters and I quite enjoyed it. I loved how the guys I saw were in it almost for a lark and were happy and secure in their already-established reputations. They did their best, laughed at/with each other, and then cracked open some beers to speculate on what the judges were saying in the other room. I enjoyed it a lot more than the shows where everyone's fighting for a title for validation.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:07 am

I've not seen Top Chef, but I've heard good things about it. However, this is unimportant since I plan to distract you with the following, only slightly related, image:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: Top Chef

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Bumpity-bump.

So, has anyone been watching this season of Top Chef Desserts? I was happy to see Orlando go, out of the last four.

And Kim, are you excited about Top Chef Texas?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I've been watching Just Desserts. I kind of love Sally. A lot. (She's also guest starred on Marcel's Quantum Kitchen, which is a show I did not expect to like as much as I do.)

I am really excited about Top Chef in Texas! Though, apparently, they asked all the communities they went to for challenges to PAY THEM $400,000 for being there. That's ridiculous. But, I'm still going to watch and love every minute of it.

Also, I'm SO EXCITED about Spike being on Next Iron Chef starting like next week.
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Yeah, I want Sally to win too. She's so cute.

Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Postby Dobie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Cute? I've watched this video 23 times, and I don't like boiled eggs.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Rarely do I miss cable as much as I do when I remember that Top Chef exists. :cry:
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

GS
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 am

Anybody watching this season? I'll hold off on thoughts until I have a discussion partner. (I forgot how bad the tongue smiley is, so here's a chicken!) :chicken:
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:53 am

Yes, I am. But I'm terrible at remembering names and such, so you'll have to start out the discussion and then I'll look up faces to join in.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 am

I am!

I mostly watch in bursts On Demand.

I'm enjoying Seattle. Though, it irritates me they change the name of every season in the directory because then I miss the first couple and get stuck watching On Demand or online.
-Kim

GS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:01 am

Nice! Well I will put everything in spoilers, but this will include up to episode 10. So, Kim you might not want to look until you're caught up.

So there are 7 chefs left with Restaurant Wars coming up next, which is usually a utter disaster. They are Brooke, Josh, Josie, Kristen, Lizzie, Sheldon and Stefan. I'm just going to throw out my thoughts on everyone.

Brooke - I think she is one of the favorites, along with Kristen. I think she executes dishes well and is innovative enough to impress the judges. I like her too. She seems like she will make it to the finale.
Josh - Although he has been doing better recently, I think he is one of the weaker chefs left. His dishes all seem similar and have the same critiques; under seasoned and incorrectly cooked meat. And I think he is an ass. I think he goes home in the next two episodes.
Josie - She is unbearable. I wish she was gone yesterday. Continuously on the bottom and somehow survives. I think she is gone next week.
Kristen - I think she is the odds on favorite at this point. I think she is the most innovative, cooks upscale food and just seems to be a level above. Plus, I still like her even though she is racking up win after win. I would be shocked if she doesn't make the finale.
Lizzie - She was my underdog. She was just really cruising along for a while putting out good dishes. She was in the top a bunch and never on the bottom. Then she bought those bad scallops a couple episodes ago. She knew that they were not fresh, but served them anyway. She really hasn't been the same to me since. I have her right above Josh right now.
Sheldon - He is my favorite right now. Given his Hawaiian background, he uses a mishmash of flavors that influence Hawaiian cuisine to put out some unique dishes. Plus, he just seems so laid back. I hope he makes the finale. I have him up there Brooke.
Stefan - I didn't like Stefan the first time around, but I like him a little more this time. I have him squarely in the middle. A step behind Brooke and Sheldon, but way ahead of the bottom three. If four make the finale, I think he gets in as well.

Also, have you been watching last chance kitchen online?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:16 am

I agree that Sheldon and Kristen are probably the top two. I also hate Josie, not to mention she is always in the bottom. I haven't been watching Last Chance Kitchen. Looking forward to Restaurant Wars!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:03 am

What a rip off! I can't believe Kristen went home instead of Josie. GAH!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 am

This keeping Josie around thing is so ridiculous!!! I know she was a producer for them for a while, but seriously?!?!?! This is getting to be like that season of ANTM where that girl from Tyra's summer camps ended up winning because they dragged her along.
-Kim

GS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GS » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:30 pm

I haven't been this upset at Top Chef since season 2 when Sam didn't make the finals.

Kristen should have stick up for herself or Brooke or Lizzie should have stepped in, because all three of them knew what was going on. Tom even said that the wrong decision was made in his blog. He said if Kristen would have said or he would have asked better questions then it would have went the other way. To make matters worse, my favorite chef loses in last chance kitchen because he has to go up against the best chef. I really just want to stop watching it.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:07 am

Unreal.

Still, I'm happy about the Last Chance Kitchen results. Can't stand CJ.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Return to “Milagre Town Square”