Ender's Game Back in Development

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: Ender's Game Back in Development

Postby locke » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:24 am

I don't know if the site is prepared for that.

At least, I hope there is a site back up before then. Just in case this isn't a false alarm.
Beware the floob.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:05 am

In this case, wouldn't it be a floobie?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:29 am

I've always heard this termed as Eternal September.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:29 pm

I've always heard this termed as Eternal September.
I suspect this "September" will not be eternal, but nonetheless unruly.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:45 pm

sorry for the double post....but casting calls seem to have actually gone out!
http://io9.com/ender.s-game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:20 pm

sorry for the double post....but casting calls seem to have actually gone out!
http://io9.com/ender.s-game/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man, apparently io9 is the place to keep an eye on for Ender-related news.

There's also a lot of information to process here, assuming it's true, which I'm heavily pinching salt into. First thing I've noticed is that it implies Bean is in the same launch group as Ender.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 pm

There's also a lot of information to process here, assuming it's true, which I'm heavily pinching salt into.
So there are ten characters being cast in all, and the script pages we read seemed pretty solid. All of the book's themes, including the brutality of warfare and the need to understand your enemy, remain intact. And the "feel" seems pretty right. (Disclaimer: these may not be pages from the actual shooting script, since sometimes casting calls use earlier script drafts. And a lot can change during filming, too.)
First thing I've noticed is that it implies Bean is in the same launch group as Ender.
I noticed that too...

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:33 pm

I am hoping that OSC is monitoring the creation of the movie and will not let Hollywood ruin this book. What I already don't like other then the fact that Ender and Bean might be in the same launch group is the way Peter is described, even though peter was cruel he still had a complex and interesting personality like all characters made by OSC and "Ender's brother is fully a psychopath in this version of the screenplay." is not a promising description.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:32 am

I have a feeling Thomas Horn is going to be very very high on the list of kids for Ender or Peter (depending on how Horn has aged in the last year).

Thomas Horn in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/e ... iblyclose/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chloë Moretz for Petra or Valentine? Elle Fanning?

Joel Courtney is a possible for Peter I think, again, depends on how he's aged
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:24 am

even though peter was cruel he still had a complex and interesting personality like all characters made by OSC and "Ender's brother is fully a psychopath in this version of the screenplay." is not a promising description.
*Sigh* Peter was never a psychopath!! Stupid Hollywood.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 am

This freaks me out.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 pm

This freaks me out.

I don't think I have enough words to say how much this freaks me out.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:47 pm

even though peter was cruel he still had a complex and interesting personality like all characters made by OSC and "Ender's brother is fully a psychopath in this version of the screenplay." is not a promising description.
*Sigh* Peter was never a psychopath!! Stupid Hollywood.
Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/[1][2]) is a mental disorder characterized primarily by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow emotions, egocentricity, and deceptiveness. Psychopaths are highly prone to antisocial behavior and abusive treatment of others, and are very disproportionately responsible for violent crime. Though lacking empathy and emotional depth, they often manage to pass themselves off as normal people by feigning emotions and lying about their pasts.
That sounds like Peter - at least, the Peter of Ender's Game.
I have a feeling Thomas Horn is going to be very very high on the list of kids for Ender or Peter (depending on how Horn has aged in the last year).

Thomas Horn in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/e ... iblyclose/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chloë Moretz for Petra or Valentine? Elle Fanning?

Joel Courtney is a possible for Peter I think, again, depends on how he's aged
Thomas Horn and Chloë Moretz are both going to be much too old to pass for 10 by the time filming begins - Chloë will be 15, and Thomas will be 14 or 15, in which case Valentine and Peter would be a better fit for them, but it's not like there is a dearth of characters for them to play (most of Ender's toon leaders should be older than him). If they'd started making the movie 2 years ago, he probably could have done well as Bean.

The problem with existing "good" child actors, is that most of them are right at the age where they stop looking like children. Remember that awkward phase in the middle of the Harry Potter movies where they looked WAY too old for the age they were supposed to be portraying? I think (and hope) they'll be able to find new talent that will leave us happily surprised, and probably launch a career.

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby OSCjunkie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Shortcuts are always taken in Hollywood so the fact that the screenplay calls for Ender and Bean to be in the same Launch group doesn't surprise or discourage me. I find the casting challenges to be more daunting than the screenplay challenges. OSC has turned down enough screenplays in the past (including his own) that I trust him to sheppard this part of the movie in the right direction. I fear the children who will be called in to act these heavy roles. One bad actor can kill or nearly kill even the greatest of movies. Just remember Star Wars I. The only child actor I've ever seen that possesed the gravitas to play a child with the mind of an adult (which Ender, Bean, Val, and Peter at the least all do) was a young Dakota Fanning in HBO's Taken.
Last edited by OSCjunkie on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I aim to misbehave."- Mal, Serenity.

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Re:

Postby OSCjunkie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:33 pm

yeah the twilight youth thing worries me... last thing we need is a sexy ender... eeeeesh

all floating in the battle room with no shirt. *shudder*

still, i would love to see the cannes presentation.
I think OSC put enough scenes (sleeping naked in barracks, getting dressed while running through the halls, and an important shower/fight scene) that if they cast this with teens they will definitely be pushing sex appeal. I hope they avoid this trap too. The last thing we need is an Ender with a six pack and five o'clock shadow. He's a small kid with a big brain. Don't screw it up, Hollywood.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:49 pm

I don't have the confidence in OSC that a lot of you have... When was the last time he wrote a genuinely good book? From what I've heard about the early direction of the EG movie, it's been OSC that's come up with some of the most obscure changes. Is it any surprise that the draft that's actually generating interest was written by a FILMMAKER? Yes, OSC has battled to keep the children's ages down and not have a love interest between Ender and Petra, but he's also the one who wanted to turn it into a buddy movie...

Salaam

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Craig!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:58 pm

When was the last time he wrote a genuinely good book?
I actually really enjoyed Pathfinder, much to my surprise.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:51 pm

I thought Pathfinder and the Lost Gate were both really good. I can't decide which one I liked more.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:49 pm

I don't have the confidence in OSC that a lot of you have... When was the last time he wrote a genuinely good book? From what I've heard about the early direction of the EG movie, it's been OSC that's come up with some of the most obscure changes. Is it any surprise that the draft that's actually generating interest was written by a FILMMAKER? Yes, OSC has battled to keep the children's ages down and not have a love interest between Ender and Petra, but he's also the one who wanted to turn it into a buddy movie...

Salaam
Lost Gate, Shadow of the Giant, Magic Street are the most recent of his books that I've read. I enjoyed all of them.

Keep in mind OSC is also a playwright, so he should have stage-sense

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 pm

I'm not going to lie, I haven't even FINISHED an OSC book since Ender in Exile and I only finished that because it was an Ender book... The point is, and the majority of us will agree, OSC's writing has really taken a dive. He's also written A LOT of books in a short amount of time -- coincidence? OSC, by his own account, was a failed playwright. I'm not saying he's a horrible guy or even a bad writer, but this idea of blindly putting faith into the guy is ridiculous, especially given his recent record.

Salaam

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby OSCjunkie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 am

I'm not going to lie, I haven't even FINISHED an OSC book since Ender in Exile and I only finished that because it was an Ender book... The point is, and the majority of us will agree, OSC's writing has really taken a dive. He's also written A LOT of books in a short amount of time -- coincidence? OSC, by his own account, was a failed playwright. I'm not saying he's a horrible guy or even a bad writer, but this idea of blindly putting faith into the guy is ridiculous, especially given his recent record.

Salaam
Sometimes he's genius and sometimes he's not. What do you want from an author? Ender's Game was an instant classic and Empire was an epic flop. Most of his books are somewhere in between. I for one became a fan because of Pathfinder and Lost Gate and those are fairly recent. If you've lost the faith, try someone else. You can be an Ender fan without being an OSC fan.

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”