Obligatory Introductory Post

Welcome to Pweb, FAQs, Introductions and Limeaid
Dryproof
Launchie
Launchie

Obligatory Introductory Post

Postby Dryproof » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Well, greetings and salutations, all. I'm Dryproof.
I read Ender's Game over two years ago, and then proceeded to finish off Ender in Exile and Ender's Shadow. I think I may have read part of Shadow of the Hegemon.
Anyway, there was quite a hiatus from then until now; I have just finished Speaker of the Dead. I think a little over an hour ago, in fact.
I'm pretty sure that I'm boring everyone who's reading this. Sorry.

I'll see everyone around, I suppose.

P.S. Are any of the other books in the Ender/Shadow series worth purchasing? I quite enjoyed all the books that I've read so far, but that doesn't guarantee the level of reading experience the other ones will provide.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Re: Obligatory Introductory Post

Postby v-girl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello there and welcome!

I'm so glad you decided to pick up Speaker for the Dead. I would very highly recommend that you finish out the original Ender quartet. The third book is Xenocide, and the fourth is Children of the Mind. These finish up the the Lusitania story started in SFTD.

Personally, the only other two Ender-verse books I actually enjoyed were Ender's Shadow and Ender in Exile. I didn't really like most of the Shadow series.

Dryproof
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Dryproof » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Ah, I see. I'll take your opinions into account, then.
And thank you for the welcome!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Yes, you should most definitely finish the Speaker trilogy/Ender quartet/whatever you want to call it.

I really should read those again...
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:07 pm

I actually liked the Shadow series. Not quite as much as the Ender quartet and in a very different way, but they may be worth a shot. You may not want to buy them right off, though. I also recommend most of OSC's other books.

Welcome to Pweb! Whenever you're feeling adventurous, come on over to Milagre. That's where all the fun stuff happens.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Dryproof
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Dryproof » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Alright, I will.
I looked up everything on Wikipedia, and noticed that Bean seems to undergo a lot of personality changes? Dunno. I really need to get started reading these books. I would've borrowed them from my library, but alas, my library doesn't supply anything but the original Ender's game...

Oh, Milagre! There seems to be a large chasm between the amount of topics posted there, and the amount of topics posted in other forums, yes, fun stuff definitely happens there.
Thanks for all your welcomes.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:07 pm

I liked CotM and SotG! Welcome to pweb!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Welcome, Dryproof. :)

Everyone else seems to have summed up what I would have said, to varying degrees, but I guess I'll also add that although some of the books weren't my favorite, I'm just fanatical enough that I had to get them anyway, to complete my collection, making me not the best person to ask about purchase-worthy status. Probably an OCD-ish thing, but for more on that, read the complete Enders Quartet!
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:28 am

Yes... OCD indeed Gravity Defier. Go and complete your cleansing rituals.

I actually enjoyed the Shadow books MORE. They kept the personal side of the story whilst also keeping the element of military and tactical maneuver that first drew me to the Ender saga going. Don't get me wrong. The conceptual theme of the Speaker trilogy was BRILLIANT and I have re-read them all. I would definitely recommend purchasing the Shadow books but if you're cautious..., well, it's your call after all.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Some of us have been around so long, we read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead before there was a Shadow series to talk about! :lol:
Pweb member since 2000

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:37 pm

And before Xenocide was even written! :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Xenocide was published in 1991.

So although we were around before it was published, we were not around Pweb before it was published.

Just sayin'. :)
Pweb member since 2000

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:36 pm

we read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead before there was a Shadow series to talk about! :lol:
I was going off of the "we read..." part. So, yeah, I was just saying that we read those before Xenocide came out. Didn't realize that you were talking about being at pweb.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:38 pm

:)
Pweb member since 2000

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 am

1991? 5 years before I was born. I found out about Speaker and the rest only after I read EG (which was given to me at random :)) and it drove me mad trying to get hold of the others in audio from a library. All of my most anticipated reads seem determined to elude me!
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:13 am

I am proud to say that that will no longer be a problem at my middle school, as I am graduating this year I figured that since I wouldn't be there to pester others to read them the least I could do was make sure all the books were at least there. Oh and it anyone loses their book...... :evil:
tee hee
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Return to “The Foyer: Welcome to The Philotic Web Community!”