Police Brutality

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Police Brutality

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g7zlJx9u2E

Warning: While it is difficult to make out the violence being inflicted on this young man, his screams are quite clear and very loud. The sound in the video may be disturbing to some.

A young man, named Mostofa, goes to the UCLA library; he is asked for his ID in a "random" ID check (look at the name one more time - random? Please). He does not have ID. He refuses to leave after being asked. The PD is called. He does not resist, but refuses to let them touch him and refuses to leave. After being tasered, he lays on the ground and is tased again. After not getting up after being "told to" by one of the officers, he is tased once more. While this young man, as you will see if you watch the video, was obviously looking for this kind of trouble (the words he uses in between screams aren't something that you just think off the top of your head after getting pumped with thousands of volts), could the police have done a worse job resolving the situation?

I stopped watching before the end, I didn't like hearing the wails, but I counted 4-5 times he was tasered, well above and beyond any reasonable amount of force. While this young man was a Most Unmitigated Bastard (SM) looking to make a scene, the "cops" (I use that term loosely - a GED and a gun does not a cop make) seemed more than willing to help him make the biggest, loudest, most controversial scene possible. Just days after that "other" LAPD beating you'd think they'd get the picture. But the sloppiness and incompetence of police tactics these days is a sign of the authoritarian times. A man tasered 5 times, dragged off in handcuffs for not having an ID. Can you see it a few years from now, when federal IDs are in place?

Your papers, mein herr....

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:00 am

a GED and a gun do not a policeman make, indeed.

petty tyranny is the worst kind, especially when it gets out of hand like this.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:26 am

yea, saw that on digg... sad stuff. But hey, good for him getting it filmed, now he has a real chance at justice...

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:42 am

Ahh. Another digger. I wasn't going to say anything...

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:44 am

Ahh. Another digger. I wasn't going to say anything...
digg = information crack..... geez, im so addicted to the internet. my hands start to shake if im not wired in for more than a couple of hours....

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:45 am

haha.

I always have two tabs open in Camino: Digg and Pweb.

information crack indeed

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:18 am

I saw this on Digg too, and then I saw it after CNN picked it up.

It is angering at first, because it is hard to ignore his screams. But a refusal to leave is a refusal. He was apparently being obstinate about it. I'm a bit torn.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:44 pm

I saw this on Digg too, and then I saw it after CNN picked it up.

It is angering at first, because it is hard to ignore his screams. But a refusal to leave is a refusal. He was apparently being obstinate about it. I'm a bit torn.
Oh, absolutely. He was definitely looking to make a scene. But any competent law enforcement agents would have been able to handle the situation.

Edit: just to add, there is a point at which he's on the ground, in cuffs, having been tasered a few times already and he's saying "all right, all right, I'll leave, I'll leave..." but he gets tasered another 2-3 times before they've got him out.
Last edited by AnthonyByakko on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:22 am

Oh, absolutely. He was definitely looking to make a scene. But any competent law enforcement agents would have been able to handle the situation.
i was thinking that myself; but what ever, damnit, its America! If you get your kicks out of being tazered, by all means do so...

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:38 am

I'm sure that those cops have a story, they were probably just having a bad day. That's the problem with giving people power that they could easily use. If cops were only able to act with lethal force (i.e. guns) I think that overall brutality would go down, even if more people were shot. But I'm not necessarily advocating doing so :wink:

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 am

I wonder how a taser would compare to that little bastard in my shoulder...
The enemy's fly is down.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:29 am

Has anyone seen that video of guys tasering themsleves?

It has to hurt. I'll post it in the spider dance thread.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:07 pm

Police brutality sucks. I saw some cops beating this African-American guy who wasn't even doing anything. I think the cops were prejudice. In fact, I am almost 99% sure of it. Anyone think I'm wrong?
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:16 pm

Police brutality sucks. I saw some cops beating this African-American guy who wasn't even doing anything. I think the cops were prejudice. In fact, I am almost 99% sure of it. Anyone think I'm wrong?
it's impossible to agree or disagree for those of use who didn't witness the incident.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:35 pm

Well, we don't hear that many cases where the police brutality happens to wasps. At least, not in the news that arrive at Spain.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:55 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm really glad not to be an American these days.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:09 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm really glad not to be an American these days.
What a comical and overblown conclusion to be drawn from anecdotal (and as of yet, only superficial) evidence. Unless you believe no brutality occurs in Canada. In which case, you have to imagine my rolling eyes.

Or maybe you were joking?

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:11 pm

They don't have police in Canada. Only mounties.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:35 pm

Dudley doesn't have a brutal bone in his body.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:21 pm

I've learned a little more about this situation since it was first posted.

The ID checks at the library are routine, conducted every night after 11pm. The campus safety officers who conduct the checks are students themselves. The ID they were requesting was not only his student ID but his library card as well. He knew that in order to be in the library after 11pm he would need it. The police were not called until after he had refused to produce ID and refused to leave. At that point, he was trespassing on school property, and the police had full rights to arrest him.

Any further discussion of this has to take those facts into account.

Myself, I get the impression he was actively looking for trouble. He could have left when asked for ID. He could have left at any time before the police arrived, but he chose to wait around and make a scene of it.

Did the police overreact? Maybe, but I'm hesitant to pass judgment on them at this point in time.

And, for a bit more stirring of the pot: http://messageboard.tuckermax.com/showt ... hp?t=12336
Yes, I was indeed at Powell Library at approximately 11:30 on Tuesday night, and yes I did see the entire event as it went down.

Let me start off by saying that the guy DEFINITELY was asking to get his ass kicked. He was being extremely rude with the campus patrol guys (who are college students...this was before the real UCPD got called in). He was not complying with their requests to leave the premises, and he was definitely itching for a fight. I actually know the guy and a few of his friends, and I can tell you that he's the kind of guy that loves to make trouble.

Just as a little backstory, one of the quotes the guy has on his facebook (which he now has taken down) was "I like to find the most difficult solutions to the simplest of problems".

He definitely taunted the UCPD into behaving the way they did with him.

Edit: Many people have questioned the fact that the cops tazed him and asked him to get up, and tazed him again even though he shouldn't have the capability to get up. This was not the case here to my knowledge, because the cops were using their "drive-stun" method which administers less of a jolt than normal. I believe this because anyone who can ramble on about this being the patriot act and yell at the top of his lungs should have the capability of getting up.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:13 pm

I do worry that after this that any time someone of a middle-eastern background is asked to show their card or anything of a similar nature, it will be "racial profiling, like that poor kid in LA".
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:31 pm

It gets even sillier when you realise that the CSOs were asking for ID from everyone in the library. And it happens every night. This guy was looking for trouble, is all I can imagine.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:19 am

It gets even sillier when you realise that the CSOs were asking for ID from everyone in the library. And it happens every night. This guy was looking for trouble, is all I can imagine.
You're missing the point. I know he was looking for trouble - like I said, the things he yelled aren't things that just pop into your head as you're being pumped with tens of thousands of volts of electricity.

The point is that any competent, trained law-enforcement agent would not have had to resort to less-lethal weaponry (LET ALONE 5 uses of said weapon) in order to defuse the situation. Instead, racking a young man with electro-shock, making a HUGE scene in a very public place, and making a great deal of trouble for both the officers in question, their department, and law enforcement in general.

We also must remember that tasers are not meant to be used in this fashion. I don't know what kind of experience some of you have with law enforcement, but tasers are not a "non-lethal" weapon. There IS no such thing as a "non-lethal" weapon. Weapons are meant to inflict physical harm on a living being - all of them are potentially fatal; law enforcement is fortunate to have, however, less lethal weapony like tasers, rubber bullets and beanbag projectiles. It is wholly unacceptable for them to be abused in this manner. We must always remain vigilante with the fact that police, as agents of the state, are only empowered to use force against citizens in the case of harm being done or harm imminently about to be done. Force is only legitimate as the prevention of force, and we're not only allowing, we are training law enforcement agents to treat a taser (not forgetting that it is a weapon) as a first-resort against any situation they don't want to deal with using conventional police tactics. This incident, as I said, is a sign of the times - laziness, incompetence and dereliction of duty in the lowest ranks of state agents exemplifies these same traits at the highest ranks.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:21 am

How would you have handled it?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:31 am

Not asking a bunch of stupid one-liner questions in response to every f***ing post, and actually making a f***ing point. Can you actually make statements, or is everything you say limited to the interrogative?

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:33 am

Can you actually speak English or is everything you say limited to one expletive?

(I know I am passive agressive. Shut up.)
Yay, I'm a llama again!

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:37 am

Can you actually speak English or is everything you say limited to one expletive?

(I know I am passive agressive. Shut up.)
What's it to you? You obviously understood what I said, at least well enough to respond, so you tell me - do I speak English? Of course. Way to waste time; you're a smart one.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:38 am

Oh, I prefer to give you rope and see if you hang yourself. I find it more amusing. And dude, don't get hostile and angry. It's just an online forum, no need for it.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:40 am

The king has a point.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:43 am

Oh, I prefer to give you rope and see if you hang yourself. I find it more amusing. And dude, don't get hostile and angry. It's just an online forum, no need for it.
Well congrats, you've effectively reduced the chance of anyone responding to your asinine inquiries to 0. And here's a tip; angry is when someone cuts you off in traffic. Angry is when you spill your coffee. Angry is when the Bears win. Angry is not when some kid from a sci-fi geek board asks a bunch of stupid questions in complex, serious topics to try and make others look dumb because he's too incompetent to actually pwn them in a worthwhile fashion. And it would seem to me that someone who's intentions are to see other people intellectually hang themselves has some hostility issues themselves...

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 am

The king has a point.
At the top of his head. You n00bs are all alike.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:46 am

Angry is when you spill your coffee?

Frustrated? Yes. Annoyed? Sure. Angry? Not really the appropriate response.

PS: teh interweb is serious?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:50 am

Anthony, you have to realize that you went from making a good, valid point to being angry, abusive and rude very suddenly. Besides, hive_king asked a good question which, though it was short, was a worthwhile question that would have allowed you to further elaborate. But instead of responding intelligently, you just took off on this really abusive line. I think that you were making a good point, but your responses after that effectively destroyed your credibility.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:50 am

Angry is when you spill your coffee?

Frustrated? Yes. Annoyed? Sure. Angry? Not really the appropriate response.
WOW! Personal opinion! NEAT-O.

PS: teh interweb is serious?
So... you learned some 1337 speak and now you think you're not a n00b? Aw, how cute.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:51 am

So I assume you don't have an answer and, characteristically, are just bitching without offering a solution or better answer?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”