For Helen Elizabeth (and anyone else who's interested)
The Most Shameful Music on my iPod
(in alphabetical order by artist)
1. Blaque - "As If" (downloaded because it's played in the background of the movie Bring it On--with which I'm also unabashedly obsessed)
2. Brandy - "I Wanna Be Down"
[I refuse to be ashamed of my Britney Spears collection. Yes, I have it all]
[ditto the soundtrack for The Chipmunk Adventure]
3. Chris Cagel - "Chicks Dig It"
3. Cobra Starship - "Good Girls Go Bad (featuring Leighton Meester)" This might be a good time to mention that I think the first season of Gossip Girl is STELLAR. The second season is hit or miss and I didn't watch after that point, but season one? LOVE IT.
4. Craig David - "Fill Me In"
5. Daniel Beddingfield - "Gotta Get Through This"
6. Dashboard Confessional. I'm ashamed I have any of this at all. But there are 15 songs on my ipod. Wow.
7. Dexter Freebish. I thought I just had the one hit wonder "Leaving Town" on here. Imagine my shock to find out I've got the ENTIRE DEBUT ALBUM.
8. Diffuser - "I Wonder" I blasted the hell out of this song during all my Henry misery. Oh, geez. Crappy emo punk that references New York to the rescue!
[not ashamed of DJ's Kool's "Let Me Clear My Throat" either].
9. Donna Lewis and Richard Marx - "At The Beginning" from teh Anastasia soundtrack!
10. Driveshaft - "You All Everybody" ....Nope. Not kidding.
11. Eamon - "F*ck It" (I like top 40 One Hit Wonders, ok?)
12. Eiffel 65 - "Blue (Da Ba Dee)"
[not ashamed of Elton John or Eminem or En Vogue]
13. Emmy Rossum - "Slow Me Down"
14. Enrique Iglesias - "Escape" (just put this one on and, yup, I will still rock out to this).
15. Fergie - "London Bridge"
16. George Michael - Not ashamed of "Faith" or "Freedom" because, obviously. But a little bit ashamed of "Father Figure."
17. Go West - "King of Wishful Thinking" I am ALMOST not even ashamed of this one. Almost.
18. Goo Goo Dolls - All of it.
19. Harvey Danger - "Flagpole Sitta" I'm not ashamed of this song, so much as I'm ashamed that I impulse-bought it while drunk during a conversation of awesome songs we've all totally forgotten about. And then I played it like 15 times in a row despite the fact that everyone else was done listening to it after the 2nd time. PARANOIA PARANOIA EVERYBODY'S COMING TO GET ME.
20. Hilary Duff - Metamorphosis (entire album). Fun trivia fact: this is the last thing I ever illegally downloaded. I got caught and put in serious legal trouble the next day. As a result, all of my official paperwork and documents (which just happen to list all my illegally-downloaded transgressions in REVERSE ORDER all have Hilary Duff at the top of the list. I illegally downloaded Hilary Duff. And got caught. I dare you to out-shame that.
21. Iyaz - "Replay"
22. Ja Rule and Ashanti - "Always On Time" Yes. Really.
23. Jennifer Lopez - "Get Right"
[Refuse to be ashamed of Jewel]
24. JoJo - "Baby It's You" and "Leave (Get Out)" AND "Too Little Too Late" Sadly, the version of "Baby It's You" that I have does not include the Bow Wow rap verse. Sad, also, that I know that a remix with Bow Wow exists.
25. Jonas Brothers - "Burnin' Up"
26. Josie and the Pussy Cats - Soundtrack
27. Jsutin Bieber - "One Time" I really have no explanation for this one. Just shame.
[not ashamed of Kesha, Katy Perry, or Kelly Clarkson]
28. Leah Andreone - "It's Alright, It's Ok" Oh man. Being a teenage girl is SO HARD, guys!
29. Liz Phair - "Why Can't I?" I would not be ashamed of this if I owned any other Liz Phair at all. But I don't. I just own this one song. Like the total bandwagon ditz that I am.
30. Lucy Woodward - "Dumb Girl"
[Should I be ashamed of Ludacris? I find I'm not].
[I am NOT ashamed of Mandy Moore. Because I adore her and want her to be my sister or my cousin or my best friend. Even though I hate that she married Ryan Adams. She is the one celebrity person I am a bit too posessive of. I LOVE HER. I will not be ashamed of ANY of the Mandy Moore on my ipod. Not even "Candy." Yeah...."Candy."]
31. Mariah Carey, but I'm back and forth about it. Trivia time! Musicbox was my first cd (along with Janet Jackson's Janet. Bought them both at the North Shore mall. My dad was NOT happy when he saw the cover of Janet). I am not ashamed of "Always Be My Baby" because that song is amazing and freaking timeless and there is no song that will get a carload of girls singing faster than that one, fact. I might be a little ashamed of "We Belong Together" and "Shake it Off" and "Heartbreaker" though.
32. Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You (album). I used to blast "Girl Like That" over and over and over again. My FAVORITE part was the end of the second verse, the line about "I give in to the alcohol" not because binge-drinking is cool, but because the melody changes there and my music-theory loving little heart can't get enough of it.
[M.C. Hammer and Meatloaf aren't shameful, they're classics. Also, Michael Jackson. Duh].
33. Miley Cyrus. I was just about to defend myself for "Party in the USA" because hello, cardigans are PERFECT travel-wear and need to be sung about more often, but then I realized I also have "See You Again" and the shame is just overwhelming.
34. Montgomery Gentry - "Hell Yeah"
35. Murphy Lee - "Wat Da Hook Gon Be?" He couldn't even spell all the words in the title correctly. And yet...and yet...I will dance. And probably know all the words. These things happen.
36. My Chemical Romance - "Helena"
37. Mysto & Pizzi - Somebody's Watching Me (cover) Yeah. From the Geico commercial. Why do I own this?!?
38. N'Sync - N'Sync (album). I'm sorry. (I also sort of wish I had the Celebrity album. When I first moved to New York I just had a discman, not an iPod, and my roomate had this cd. I used to borrow it and listen to it on the subway and in Central Park, while waiting to meet up with Henry at the Hungarian Pastry shop. Ah, memories).
39. Natalie Imbruglia - "Wishing I Was There" I haaaaaaaaated her big single "Torn" but I loved this song. Makes me think of my high school parking lot in the spring.
40. Natasha Beddingfield - "Unwritten" AKA The theme song for The Hills (which I also LOVED. Lauren Conrad needs to be my friend immediately. I'm sorry, I usually hate reality tv, because it's mostly just Pretty People Having Problems as my friend says, but I was working full time as a nanny and had nothing to do all day while the baby slept, and Henry and I had broken up and I thought my life was OVER and MTV used to marathon this s*** and Lauren makes the BEST facial expressions on EARTH and I am not even lying, the first episode season two of The Hills where she drives to give Jason back his stuff after they broke up--in conjunction with the first episode of the final season of Gilmore Girls where Lorelai compares being in a relationship with Luke to being dragged along by a car and hitting potholes, which aired like, the same week--helped me not totally die of misery in the horrible post-Henry months. So yes, shame, but I don't even care).
41. Nelly & Christina Aguilera - "Tilt Ya Head Back"
42. Nelly & N'Sync - "Girlfriend"
43. Nicki French - "Total Eclipse of the Heart (cover)" Wow, this is bad.
44. Orianthi - "According to You" this just basically boils down to the fact that I cannot resist a free download off iTunes.
45. Owl City - "Fireflies" Possibly the most annoying song on earth, and yet I own it. Another free download. Catchy as all hell in the worst way.
46. Panic! At The Disco - "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" It's like the poor man's Fall Out Boy.
47. Puddle of Mudd - "She Hates Me" Remember how hilarious this song is? Still doesn't excuse the fact that I apparently own the entire album...
48. R. Kelly - "Ignition (Remix) The summer my best friend and I worked at a summer camp (she was the music teacher, I was the drama teacher) we were in charge of the camp-wide talent show. One of the groups rewrote the lyrics to this song for their performance. We had run rehearsals of the dress rehearsal pretty much all day every summer (maybe someday I'll list out my playlist of all the talent show songs so you can understand how surreal and bizarre and painful this summer was). But this song in particular was ALWAYS in my head. Just....with the camp lyrics. For example "Don't be movin' your body / or else the boat will be tippin / sippin' on juice and punch / we're so hungry for lunch / at the day camp we can't / be havin' any more fun" Yeah.
49. Rod Stewart - "If You Want My Body" Yet again, why do I own this?!
50. Shawn Mullins - "Lullabye" Hahaha, you forgot this song ever even existed, didn't you?
51. A Simple Plan - "I'm Just a Kid" and life is a nightmare, we know, we know.
52. Snoop Dog - "Drop it Like it's Hot"
53. T.I - "Live Your Life featuring Rihanna" I love this song. Anything where Rihanna sings the hook is pretty much a win with me.
54. Tenacious D - "Tribute to the Best Song in the World" also "My biznitch is the Schiznit" and "f*** Her Gently"
55. Uncle Kracker - "Follow Me"
56. Utada Hikaru - "Sanctuary" and "Simple and Clean" AKA the theme songs for Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.
57. Wheatus - "Teenage Dirtbag" saw them play live my freshman year of college for, like, $20. Left after this song, along with everyone else is the room. Because after this song is over, why would you stay?
58. Yellowcard - "Ocean Avenue" I loooooooooooooooooooved this song. Played it all the time at like 4 in the morning while on AIM with my best friend Dan. We were in love and in denial about it. Yet again, young adulthood is such a blasy.
59. 3LW - "I'm-a Do Right" This, again, is an example of how bizarre things can take utter posession of me. This girls were, like, 12. I remember the music video distinctly. I played this song a lot. A lot a lot.
I'm sure there's more. This doesn't even include any of my musical soundtracks or movie soundtracks (Titanic AND Back to the Titanic. Hell yes). I am also secure in my street cred. The rest of music collection is pretty awesome. But I bet it I go home and look through my computer I'll find more shameful gems...
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant