Brontosaurus Lays an Egg

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Here's the thing people don't tell you/don't think of: It's not like putting your fist through your nostril, it's not like pushing a watermelon through a sock... not like any of those comparisons, because of one very important fact: your body is made for it. Female bodies are designed to push out babies. They are designed to dilate and grow and become elastic-y. So, it's nothing like a fist in your nose, because your nose isn't supposed to stretch like that.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:27 pm

On a NSFW product. I was a bit confused.
The password is "guilty"

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Whoa. I don't think I want to know why they have that included.
Here's the thing people don't tell you/don't think of: It's not like putting your fist through your nostril, it's not like pushing a watermelon through a sock... not like any of those comparisons, because of one very important fact: your body is made for it. Female bodies are designed to push out babies. They are designed to dilate and grow and become elastic-y. So, it's nothing like a fist in your nose, because your nose isn't supposed to stretch like that.

*Warning: next section is a bit graphic. Read at your own discretion.*

When I attended the birth of one of my good friends, I was AMAZED how how stretchy she was, especially since I've never given vaginal birth myself. The Dr. reached in with his fingers as the head was crowning and stretched to make it easier for the head to come through. I really had NO idea that that much stretching was possible.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks. I WILL try to find some newborn pictures for reassurance.

GOOD NEWS!

My appetite has been downright NORMAL today! I mean, I still woke up for a 2:00 AM feeding, but since then -- NOT THAT HUNGRY! Hungry, needing nourishment, but not starvation-type hunger pangs. Just normal hunger pangs. And a few bouts of nausea, but no vomiting and very quickly calmed.

Oh, God, please don't let this be hubris. Please let it stay this way. I'm going out with colleagues for dinner at a restaurant tomorrow. It would be so nice if I was hungry but not starving and not sick.

I may have made it past the worst of it. Ihopeihopeihope.

*feels like someone peeking out of a storm shelter to see if the storm, indeed, has passed*
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Hooray!

Today I totally overworked my poor body and then crashed hard and sickly for about two hours. I think I visited every rental agency in the city, and then Wee Brontosaurus was all "Don't forget about meeeeeee!" and made me fall apart.

I also added a few things to the Baby Box off my "undignified items" list that I'm unlikely to get at a shower. Stuff is shaping up, I guess? I also poked around enough to figure out the proper search string for "bed pads". I didn't like the look of any of the baby-specific mattress protectors, so I opted to draw on my care and support knowledge to get something I'm more familiar with. Multi-purpose, portable, and easily washed. Also, soft and unobtrusive. And cheaper.
A dinosaur in a grocery store is not a very pleasant thing!
He marches through the checkout aisles and tramples over everything.
He puts his snoot into the fruit;
his tail wipes out displays.
I'll tell you just what I've observed --
A grocery store is not a place for dinosaurs to play.

(Courtesy of starlooker's mom.)

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Okay, tonight at dinner, there was a newborn right behind us. I took a good look at him on the way to the bathroom, and he was, indeed, remarkably curled up. I do honestly feel really reassured.

I know it's a funny thing to freak out about, but, seriously, having the ruler right next to my abdomen made those numbers so much more concrete.

Also got to watch a 10-month old entertain us all for a good portion of the night, and it was fun, sitting there thinking, "Wow. I really get to have one of those for my very own? Awesome!"
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:16 am

I have a request for all current and future pregnant Pwebbers (if I could do past, I'd throw them in, too): My favorite type of baby picture, in the history of all types of baby pictures, is a close-up of baby hand squeezing a daddy finger. Can we please make sure we get this captured? Thanks.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:38 am

So noted! If he's still around, I'll even ask a semi-professional photographer friend to take a few shots of la Famiglia Brontosaurus. :) Well, I'd do that anyway, but you know.

How's the appetite, Kirsten?

And also, holy fast delivery, Batman! My soaker pads came this morning, and I only actually ordered them yesterday afternoon! Lord love the British postal service! I am so utterly thrilled with them I may end up getting a couple more - they're great for diaper changes as well as mattress protectors, and absolutely the perfect size, even better than I thought. And again, cheap! (I think I paid £6/each, and they're 18x24", easily washed and folded and light to carry around. Really, I could sing their praises to anyone who'd listen. I'm half tempted to just post you one, Kirsten!)

I was in the park last week, and there was a little girl maybe a year and a half old lagging behind mum and dad and wailing at the top of her lungs for no obvious reason. And I was all "Yeah, yeah, kid, don't remind me I'm going to have one of those to deal with." And then her older brother, who was maybe 5, ran back and picked her up to settle her, and I was all "OH RIGHT, I get one of those, too!" (As in, sometimes they drive you nuts but then sometimes they're adorable and sweet, too.)

Have my 27-weeks ultrasound this week coming, so you all will get the latest in baby pictures! Can hardly wait!

aileefa
Launchie
Launchie

Postby aileefa » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:23 am

What kind of results have you had from taking Omega 3 Fish Oil? I am really sick and my doctor told me to take Omega 3 Fish Oil. What do you think it has done for you?
Last edited by aileefa on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:54 am

I really don't feel much, but my situation is totally different to yours. I'm basically only taking it for the baby, who is developing a brain and needs the nutrition. I'll probably keep taking it throughout breastfeeding, but I may go down to a lower dose - we'll see what the midwife says.

If you're sick, as you say, you should probably follow what the doctor says. I'm no doctor, and no way should you trust a random unqualified internets-person over your doctor! I hope you feel better, though, and that it helps you. :)

Braxton-Hicks today! It's not the first time, but it might be the most definite. Cycling seems to bring them on. I've had quite the freecycle baby swag haul over the past two days, which is awesomesauce. It's also made me thank God again for how healthy and capable I still am. It may take me a bit longer since I'm doing the Pregnant Woman Waddle, but I CAN manage an hour's walk round-trip. With my bike seat lowered a bit and the handlebars raised, I can still cycle.

Anyway, baby swag:
* a sit-in swim floatie
* a changing mat - it's ugly and vinyl, but I'll ask mum to sew a terrycloth cover for it
* a backpack-style diaper bag with nylon changing mat (perfect for cycle trips)
* a doorframe baby bouncer - in very good condition, no fraying in sight
* a "juicer", which I was SUPER excited about, but it turns out it's just a blender - ah well, can be used to make baby food
* a pair of badminton racquets and some birdies - not directly baby-related, but another fun physical activity I can do in my yard

Dudes, freecycle ROCKS.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 am

Ultrasound today! (Pictures forthcoming.)

I am apparently really bad at counting, since I somehow lost a week in there again. I'm actually at 28 weeks! According to the US measurements, I have a large baby inside me: whereas its abdominal circumference was a bit behind at 19 weeks, it's shot way ahead now. At 28 weeks, I have a 29-week-sized baby butt growing inside me. Yes, we have a big-ass child. Literally.

Baby is healthy and active, and estimated to be just shy of three pounds. THREE POUNDS. WHAT. Will Wee Brontosaurus submit his thesis early?!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 am

I will now have Sir Mix-a-Lot stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:43 am

You'll notice how carefully that post avoided any references thereto. I take no responsibility.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:46 pm

Yay for a healthy, active baby! (Even though active babies can be a pain! Tyler kept his little feet in my right lateral ribs and Brian had to spend the last month of pregnancy pushing my ribs back into place. I had a bruise on the top of my belly, right under my sternum, by the time Brayden was born.)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:59 am

I had a bruise on the top of my belly, right under my sternum, by the time Brayden was born
I had the same one! Maggie's bony little bum camped out right under my sternum for 2 months.

How many ultrasounds do you get, Ali (and Kirsten)? I only had two for each kid, one at 20 weeks and another at the end, around 35 weeks.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:39 am

With Tyler I had one at 20 weeks.

With Brayden I had one at 20 and one at 38 weeks (for a check on weight and cord position to help us be safe if I did a vaginal).

With Kinley, I had one at 7 weeks (first time this was standard) and one at 20.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 am

I think I mentioned it before, but I'll be having a total of five. I had one (non-standard) at about 6 or 7 weeks, because of bleeding concerns. I had a standard one at 13 weeks, which should have been at 8-10 weeks, but got bumped for PhD reasons. I guess that early scan is a newer thing. I had the anomaly scan at 19 weeks, and I think that's a pretty standard one. I had one this past week (28 weeks), and I'll be having one at 34 weeks. I know that one of those is a standard one, but the other is because of my BP and a family history of diabetes, plus it's the first pregnancy. I can't recall which is the extra, but I think it's the 28 weeks one?

On the one hand, I'd rather they not need to worry about me. On the other hand, all these baby pictures are kinda cool. 8)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

We watched a video in anatomy today about embryonic and fetal development. Babies are so cool! They also look like shrimp/aliens for months, but still cool. I'm kind of jealous that you ladies get to grow them right now.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Sorry about the poor quality! If I can get a better image of it tomorrow, I'll post it.

Wee Brontosaurus, aged 28 weeks:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 pm

I can tell what that is! If I were you, I'd be less worried about a fat bottomed baby and pay more attention to the noggin size.

ETA: Where is Kirsten's week 11 update?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:33 am

Heehee, its head is also above the curve, but not a whole lot (only 5 days ahead, as opposed to 9 for its abdominal circumference). I'm not really worried about either, though. There's still so much growing to do, and who knows what will happen! :)

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:56 am

Don't know. Two, I expect. The early one and the 20 weeks one. Wish it were more. But I do not wish I needed more. Just wish more were standard. Or that I was an ob/gyn or ultrasound tech or something and could just check out my baby whenever I felt like it. I mean, good LANDS, Little Bit has changed ridiculously much in the month since we had our last one -- not fair that you have to wait until they're out of the womb to take monthly pictures!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:06 pm

*double post*

Fun moment watching the news.

News anchor describing a hailstone a local woman sent a picture of. Hailstone is shown with a tape measure near it.

Anchor: Local woman found a hailstone measuring two and a half inches.

Husband: Wow. Look at that.

Me: *low whistle, obviously impressed*

Brief pause.

Me: HEY! That's as big as our baby!

*laughter from both.*
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Palpating has never been so exciting! Will I feel a spine or itty-bitty foot today?!

In other news, Med Switch 2011 begins today. I am filled with trepidation. I like my prescription, it works, with very few side effects. This new one has a whole honk of side effects, and although it's supposed to be the "safest" for baby, the instructions still specifically tell you not to take it if pregnant or breastfeeding. I'm almost not sure it's worth it, or if I'd deal better with just tapering off my regular meds and coping for a month or two (doable).

Because, okay, TMI, but I don't need the side effect of swollen breasts, bigenoughalreadythankyouverymuch, and I'm already a) pregnant and b) on iron supplements, so I am not sure our fruit budget can handle a third constipating agent. My PhD isn't too keen on the drowsiness and lack of concentration, either.

Here goes nothing...

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Do you mind if I ask what meds? This is the kind of thing that interests me.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm always interested in meds too, especially p-meds.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Since you'll asked...

I have been very happily trundling along on 10mg of paroxetine per day. Very few side effects, just a low maintenance dose. I'm tapering off that 2.5mg every two weeks, and at the same time starting on 50mg of amitriptyline for 1-2 weeks (depending on side effects), then up to 100mg. I'd really like the lowest dose possible, but I won't be able to really tell WHAT is working, and at what dosage, because I've got two going at once. I don't like that confusion. :(

Anyway, I have a follow-up with my GP in just a couple weeks, and one with the psych people shortly after that. We'll talk then.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:06 pm

Good luck with the new one! I took amitriptyline for a while, but it was a bust for my depressive symptoms. Helped my anxiety a lot, though.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:34 am

Kirsten, how are you doing with food/sleep? Have you managed any improvements now that you're solidly into double-digit weeks?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Better with both. Still tired and waking up to pee a lot, but not waking up hungry. I do get ravenous hunger pangs, but more often at regular mealtimes and not in between so much. No more nausea! Thank God. And my weight has stayed steady for a couple of weeks now, thankfully. I could not imagine continuing to gain at that rate.

On the other hand, all of that was reassuring on some level. I felt, like, actively pregnant. Now I'm like, *knock knock* "Hello, Little Bit? You still in there? Is everything okay? Can I get you something? No? Are you sure? I'd be happy to! Alright, then. I'll just, um, wait. Right here. In case you need me."

I'm sure (well, sure-ish) that everything IS alright, I mean, this is pretty much textbook-time for symptom reduction. And no pain, bleeding, scary things. Still, though, not having my body constantly reminding me that I'm pregnant is a bit odd. All in all, looking forward to the doctor visit tomorrow morning for some extra reassurance.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 am

Hee. Don't worry, in a few weeks you'll start feeling a weird flutter that might be gas except you haven't had any beans and anyway it's not quite the same, and then you'll get a whole new way to be reminded of Little Bit!

Actually, just try laying on your stomach. I started feeling a weird lump in there really early, even though noone else could.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:03 am

Appointment went well! All is good in mommy-land.

First thing -- my urine was healthy and happy, no signs of infection or anything else. Blood pressure is fine.

Second thing -- bloodwork and labs from last time were all clear. I do not have HIV, chlamydia, gonnorhea, syphillis, or signs of other infections. My blood cell count and iron levels are peachy-keen, and I am still immune to rubella. Also, we have confirmed what I learned in Grade 7 science class -- my blood type is A+.

Third thing -- time to hear the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler. That's where things got a little bit more exciting in nervous first-time Mommy-land.

Incredibly nice nurse: "Now, you're not quite 12 weeks along, and between 11 and 15 weeks is the hardest time to hear the heartbeat. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to find it."

Me: "So, if you don't find it right away, I shouldn't panic?"

Her: "EXACTLY."

Me: "Okay, no problem."

So, she puts the doppler wand with the magic goop on my lower abdomen and starts heartbeat hunting. A minute later, I hear whoosh-whooshing. She informs me that's my own heartbeat. She keeps hunting.

Here's how the experience goes for me.

First: Lalalala, random thoughts in my head about work, etc. Just kind of zoning out and forgetting I'm there for a reason.

Second: Remembering, "OH. Baby's HEARTBEAT." Starting to listen more attentively.

Third: That little stinker. Where are you hiding, baby? *amused*

Fourth: WHERE ARE YOU HIDING BABY? *remaining nonchalant on the outside while having to be much more deliberate about breathing*

Finally, nurse says, "Well, sometimes when we can't find it on the doppler, we just have the doctor take a peek with the ultrasound." And a few minutes later, she decides to have the doctor look with the ultrasound for the baby. And she's calmly chatting about how it'll be great, I'll be able to see how much the baby's grown in such a short time, etc.

Me: "Oh, yes. This is so much better, you know, as long as everything's okay." *Smiles calmly and beautifically as befits a perfectly healthy mother with a stinker of a baby who's playing a good game of hide and seek.* "Could you get Donny for me, again?"

Me Inside, Voice 1: "SELF. LISTEN UP. SHE SAID THIS IS NORMAL. EVERYTHING ELSE HAS BEEN NORMAL. THE BABY IS JUST FINE!!!"

Me Inside, Voice 2: "Oh god, oh god, oh god, I've lost the baby, what will I tell people, what if it's gone, what if, what if, oh no, oh no, oh no." *close to tears*

Me Inside Voice 1: "SHUT UP, VOICE 2! I AM FIRMLY TELLING YOU IN CAPSLOCK THAT IT IS ALL OKAY. NO, I AM NOT PANICKING! IT'S FINE, JUST BE QUIET AND WAIT AND SMILE AND BREATHE AND OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT.

*enter Donny, laughing and joking with the nurse*

The two of us are alone for a minute.

*hold hands*

Me: "They say sometimes when the baby's so small it's hard to find the heartbeat. So it's probably nothing. But I'm a little worried."

Him: "Honey, I'm sure it's okay."

Me: *agrees and then is quiet*

Enter Doctor: Asking me all kinds of questions and wanting to talk about things that are not related to the task at hand, which I answer calmly and then am like, "WAIT. Can this not wait until after we know I have a baby, still?" Which I do not say outloud.

She puts goop on something and then starts the sonogram. I no longer have to have an undignified sonogram, can just be on my belly.

"There's your baby's head!" she says.

Me, "WHERE?"

The baby keeps sort of disappearing as she moves the wand. But I see baby, and she shows me the hearbeat. The heart is SO MUCH BIGGER.

However, overall, it's still a blobby ultrasound, so I'm not quite as impressed by the changes as you would think.

*morning's panic is instantly dispelled*

Anyhow, in a week and a half, I get a more detailed ultrasound plus a standard test for genetic abnormalities. I'm looking forward to that one, because I think it'll be fancy-schmancy.

Other good news:

1. Doctor will be gone to have her baby in October-November but should be back in plenty of time for mine.

2. Doctor is pretty unworried about my pregnancy weight gain. Just says, "We'll keep an eye on it" and tells me to eat healthfully and keep my activity level up." Nice, common-sense approach as compared to the Websites of Don't Gain Weight or You Doom Yourself and Your Baby Forever!!

3. Doctor is supportive of me wanting a natural birth as long as I'm willing to be in hospital or birth center and willing to have an IV with no meds just in case of emergency. I find that is something I can agree to pretty easily, as I do want to be able to get the baby out by c-section without delay if absolutely necessary. But, I'm hoping that doing it without meds to start with will lower the odds of it being necessary.

So, all in all, a good, productive morning.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:09 pm

*double post*

Thoughts from a conversation with Ali about things my parents gave me that I want to give to my child.

1. A love of reading. My father recently told me that they first read to me on the very first day they brought me home from the hospital. And they kept it up throughout my childhood. Some of my happiest memories are of picking the books I wanted them to read to me and sitting on laps and giggling. The thing they did that did the most to comfort and sooth and distract me when I had a horrible case of chicken pox in third grade was to read me chapters of Caddie Woodlawn.

Even as a teenager, my mom would read me things like Huckleberry Finn and Pride and Prejudice and All Creatures Great and Small. Or she'd be reading in her bedroom, and I'd just walk in with a stack of books and lie beside her and read. We called them read-ins. Sometimes one of us would start laughing and we'd discuss what we were reading, or just talk. It was excellent bonding throughout the years.

2. A sense of independence. My mom used to tell me what a "big, independent girl" I was. When I was about seven, my mom's boss's wife told my mom that she'd run into my dad and me at the park. "He's such a good father," she told my mom. "He was just letting her be her own little person." And I was.

3. Unquestioning knowledge that I love, support, and will always be there for them. So secure that Little Bit doesn't even know to be grateful for it until he/she is older and meets people who haven't had such a gift.

4. Values that are not materialistic or superficial. To know there's more to life than what kind of car you have or how clean the house is. A sense of practicality in approaching the material things, and a sense of wonder and excitement about the immaterial things.

5. Good boundaries and respect for other people's privacy. I would never, ever, ever have dreamed of opening another person's mail, reading someone else's diary, looking in my mother's purse, or other breaches of trust. To this day, I find those types of things the height of dishonorable.

Not that there are things I wouldn't change about my upbringing, but I'm grateful overall, and feel I have some really good things to try to pass on.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 pm

So happy that you and Little Bit are doing well!

I am also so grateful for my parents instilling a love of reading in me. I don't remember a time that I didn't soothe myself with a book. Whenever I stayed home sick, I would read the Little House books again. What impresses me even more about this, is that my mom is not a natural reader. My dad is but my mom was our at home, daily caretaker. I know that they both read to and with us and encouraged this love. I think it is such a gift to give to a child.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Acid reflux. Ugh. At least I think it's some sort of acid reflux, since it's sort of burny and tastes like whatever I ate most recently. That's reflux, right? Anyway, I has it.

Hooray for good parents! I agree with all those things Kirsten said, and I want to add a healthy, happy relationship with food. I want my kids to know where it comes from and what happens to make it into the meals to eat. I want food to be a friend, not a master or an enemy. I want them to learn to savour all the various foods of the world, to love the different smells and textures and tastes. :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”