Questions you've wondered about your fellow pwebbers

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:54 am

I'm an INFP as well! Though there have been times when I've been ENFP, and my P/J are very close.

I kept my room as a total sty when I was a kid/teen. I still fight the messiness. I am just not a cleaner.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Rei, are you pregnant?
Well, we are a modern family, and what with EL's studies and all due practicality...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm an INTP, although it's been a while since I've read up on the type and what that all means, so I can't say off-hand how well I think it matches me.

As for keeping my room tidy, it's always been an uphill battle despite my mum doing her best to train me out of it. I just don't see clutter, but if the teapot is four inches from the wall then the kitchen is unbearably messy and clearly we haven't done a thing all day. (Okay, it isn't quite that bad, but not far off.)

I've been slowly trying to improve at keeping my clutter in neat rows, though, and even as a teenager that is exactly what I would do and think my room looked clean. My mum and I disagreed then and continue to disagree a fair bit on definitions of clean. But we both agree to not live in filth. I may be messy, but I am not dirty, nor have I ever been.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 pm

ENTJ. Slightly Extroverted, moderately iNtuitive and Thinking, and very Judging. Seems pretty accurate.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:36 pm

I don't know my Myers-Briggs type... I'm pretty sure i've had to figure it out before in school, but for the life of me I can't remember.

As for my room, it really depends on my mood. When I was really young I shared it with my little sister and it was so messy you couldn't EVER see the floor let alone walk though. As I got older and split off into my own room I kinda got obsessed rearranging things, so while it didn't look clean, it was mostly cluttered but it was my clutter and it wasn't dirty. I also tend to clean when i'm upset or depressed.

Now I share a room with Will and I fight the laundry and having too much stuff crammed in one small room. I constantly want to rearrange everything, but there is absolutely no other way anything can go... It's frustrating.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:19 pm

My I and E seem to go back and forth depending on what frame of mind I'm in. Anyway, I just took it and I got ISFJ with the following percentages:

Strength of the preferences
22% Introverted
88% Sensing
62% Feeling
61% Judging

So, barely on the side of introversion and strongly sensing.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Do any of you know your Myers-Briggs types? If so, how well do you think they fit? (Or the Keirsey-Temperament Sorter. Close enough.)

Also, random question, as teenagers how many of you kept your rooms reasonably clean and/or took pride in its appearance vs. having a total pit of filth? (I am in the second category.)
1. I'm INTJ. Sometimes I even change some of my answers slightly and I still get that as an answer (my standard scores put me very deep in that category). Does it fit? Well, I often wish I wasn't so much of one. The one issue I take with it is that I can be wildly emotional sometimes, but I don't really let that guide my actions, I just flail on my bedroom floor for however long and move past it.

2.This is kind of amusing, since when I was in high school, because I am SO controlling and focused on all the minutiae and over planning, one of my friends came over to my house and went, "WOAH, your room is a mess, I wasn't expecting that." But the secret is now well-known. We're talking book piles, paper piles, clothes piles. Oh, and right now I have an entire dresser drawer taking up a corner because I can't get it back in.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:06 pm

I am:

Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
89 38 50 56

I read through what it meant to be SFJ (I got the I part, thanks) and I couldn't quite pin down whether or not that made sense for me without more context, so I followed links on the test I took and got:
Protector Guardian

We are lucky that Protectors make up as much as ten percent the population, because their primary interest is in the safety and security of those they care about - their family, their circle of friends, their students, their patients, their boss, their fellow-workers, or their employees. Protectors have an extraordinary sense of loyalty and responsibility in their makeup, and seem fulfilled in the degree they can shield others from the dirt and dangers of the world. Speculating and experimenting do not intrigue Protectors, who prefer to make do with time-honored and time-tested products and procedures rather than change to new. At work Protectors are seldom happy in situations where the rules are constantly changing, or where long-established ways of doing things are not respected. For their part, Protectors value tradition, both in the culture and in their family. Protectors believe deeply in the stability of social ranking conferred by birth, titles, offices, and credentials. And they cherish family history and enjoy caring for family property, from houses to heirlooms.

Wanting to be of service to others, Protectors find great satisfaction in assisting the downtrodden, and can deal with disability and neediness in others better than any other type. They are not as outgoing and talkative as the Provider Guardians [ESFJs], and their shyness is often misjudged as stiffness, even coldness, when in truth Protectors are warm-hearted and sympathetic, giving happily of themselves to those in need.

Their reserve ought really to be seen as an expression of their sincerity and seriousness of purpose. The most diligent of all the types, Protectors are willing to work long, hard hours quietly doing all the thankless jobs that others manage to avoid. Protectors are quite happy working alone; in fact, in positions of authority they may try to do everything themselves rather than direct others to get the job done. Thoroughness and frugality are also virtues for them. When Protectors undertake a task, they will complete it if humanly possible. They also know better than any other type the value of a dollar, and they abhor the squandering or misuse of money. To save, to put something aside against an unpredictable future, to prepare for emergencies-these are actions near and dear to the Protector's heart. For all these reasons, Protectors are frequently overworked, just as they are frequently misunderstood and undervalued. Their contributions, and also their economies, are often taken for granted, and they rarely get the gratitude they deserve.
Some of it rings true, specifically not liking constantly changing rules (or other things that constantly change), misjudged shyness, not being good at delegating, and disliking squandering/misuse of money.

Not to make a potentially insulting comparison but this sort of thing reminds me of the summaries you get for horoscopes. Maybe it's because I want to see a similarity for me between what these say I should be and what I am, but I've found more detailed horoscope related descriptions to be about equally accurate when compared to the above quote.

As for my room as a teen, mostly it was unruly and refused to listen when I told it to pick up after itself. *grin*

I was going to agree with Kelly and say the state of my room has to do with my mood but it's slightly different for me than a depressed/happy thing. For me, it's about how much structure there is and how much control I feel over my life and living situation. When I lived in Phoenix with my dad, it was very structured. I knew that this day was for laundry, this day was for tidying up the place, this time was for this activity, etc. and I flourished with that; it gave me a sense of control, even though it could be argued I didn't really have any. Here at home, there's very little structure and that makes me feel like I don't have control of my life. The way I was in Phoenix may be too rigid a way of doing things for some people but if I don't, I never make it to the "it's a habit" phase and I then have to play catch up and work at finding the desire to do whatever. I don't know if that makes any sense but there you have it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:40 pm

It's from his essay "Return to Tipasa."
Thanks! Conveniently, this is in a book already on my desk I've been planning to read.
Zoom? I just use the quote button.
I use my eyes, you cloud/colony of blind bats.

Also, I was INTP when I took the test back in high school and my room as a teenager was perhaps slightly messy, but not overly so due to disuse. These days my room is pretty clean and adamantly barren.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm an INFP as well! Though there have been times when I've been ENFP, and my P/J are very close.

I kept my room as a total sty when I was a kid/teen. I still fight the messiness. I am just not a cleaner.
Jan, you and I keep becoming eerily more and more alike. Midwestern, first. Then your voice sounded almost exactly like mine. Then we both moved away from the cold. Granted, the part where you have two children and are Canadian and live on the East Coast is all very different, but yeah. It's nice to know another INFP is on board :) This may, actually, be why we both fight the messiness. Like the description says, I do get a bit on the OCD side for something I have adapted as a cause, but I am just not detail/neatness oriented for anything that is not currently my driving motivation.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Nehali Sophia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nehali Sophia » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 pm

I took a test a couple of years ago and was ISTJ, I took the same one a couple of days ago and got INTJ. After re-reading the profiles again, I'd say I identify more with the INTJ profile than the ISTJ.

I= 95%
N= 53%
T= 63%
J=79%

As for room messiness, I kept my room reasonably clean as a teenager.
The wonder that keeps the stars apart

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:14 pm

I go through phases of tidy room or messy room, but I always keep my living spaces at least sanitary. I may not look like I keep things neat but I can always find things when I need em, except for things like keys and my phone of course.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 pm

I may not look like I keep things neat but I can always find things when I need em
This is me, 99% of the time. My space is cluttered and messy looking (or just plain messy) but everything has a place and I know where it is.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm INTJ

My I/E changes depending on my mood, though my I has gotten stronger over time.

I find it interesting that the test claims only 1-2% of the population are INTJ, but several of our members are INTJ's.
-Kim

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:44 pm

I've noticed that forums usually have a lot of people of similar types, and usually they're the uncommon ones. One of the gaming forums I'm a part of has mostly INTPs (engineer types), even though they're 2% of the population. I only know one other INFJ (apparently THE rarest type) and it's one of my best friends, which I find odd.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't know... categorizing something as complex as human personalities into these finite classifications seems largely pointless to me. :?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:57 pm

My I/E changes depending on my mood
Mine, too, though it never seems to vary more than 5-10% in either direction.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:38 am

Alea, I think so far you and I are the only ISFJs on here. I actually wouldn't have guessed that we would get the same, but it makes sense in some ways. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 am

I'm INTJ

My I/E changes depending on my mood, though my I has gotten stronger over time.

I find it interesting that the test claims only 1-2% of the population are INTJ, but several of our members are INTJ's.
I'm with you as an INTJ-- with extra j!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:44 am

I always get really varied results on these, and don't really feel like taking it again, but the last time we all did it (it was the one with the pretty graphs, MyPersonality) I got ISTJ. Then I immediately took the one my friend suggested, from OKCupid, and got ENFJ.

So... I guess, no matter what, I'm Judging. And from what I recall, ENFJ felt more like it fit me. But I would have to seriously look at all of the meanings again.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 am

ISTJ... Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging

I often have problems telling the difference between my actual attitudes or the attitudes i project on myself, when feeling tests. Then again, i am not an intuitive person, nor i trust on feelings, and i am introverted. Also, i don't think that observation of situation is enough, you have to place it in perspective and compare it with other scenarios, so i'll be judging too.

Other tests have scored me as the "robot" XD (rational, introverted, gentle, humble) which, to be honest, is a lot more appealing to me: "In short, your personality defect is that you don't really HAVE a personality. You are one of those annoying, super-logical people that never gets upset or flustered. Unless, of course, you short circuit. Or if someone throws a pie at you. Pies sure are delicious."

Well, i do get upset. Right today, i got upset with my mom because she was trying to defend public funding on a homeopatic "research facility" (code word among homeopats for "con house").

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:17 pm

I've taken these tests before, from the same people, probably two or more years ago, and the ISTJ stayed the same. My "multiple personalities" bit where my Bodily/Kinesthetic went down and my Intrapersonal and Naturalist went up. *shrugs*

I keep my room mostly clean - the dirtiest it gets is an unintentional buildup of dishes, and that's relatively rare. I keep things where they're supposed to go, nothing goes on the floor, etc.

The only other thing I thought of while taking the test is that, in person, I am the worst at expressing my thoughts and emotions. I just can't seem to do it that well, and as such I think I project more introverted than I actually am.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:09 pm

I just skimmed the INTP article at wikipedia and good Lord that sounds familiar! So yes, by and large I do fit with the description.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:10 pm

I actually wouldn't have guessed that we would get the same
Really? I wouldn't have guessed it but I'm also not the least bit surprised by it. I suppose it's that I can see the same basic building block traits that are different more in degree than kind.

So, how rare are we supposed to be in the general population?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:36 pm

That's kind of what I meant. I wouldn't have guessed it but it makes sense. And I don't even think it's a matter of degree so much as differing circumstances.

And we are supposed to make up 9-14% of the population.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:48 am

I don't know... categorizing something as complex as human personalities into these finite classifications seems largely pointless to me. :?
That's not a very scientific perspective. ;) what makes personalities so special as to be unquantifiable? very fuzzy.

I'm not sure what I am, just looking at what the letters stand for, I would try to answer the test to be as close to fifty percent as possible on all of them. :-p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:34 am

That's not a very scientific perspective. ;) what makes personalities so special as to be unquantifiable? very fuzzy.
It's very scientific. I'm acknowledging that there are too many variables involved to allow for such straightforward classifications. :P
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:25 am

Neo, how do you handle marking student work? I'm on the third paper and already wishing I were dead.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:41 am

Listen to some music, or put on a movie that you've seen before and thus don't actually have to pay attention to. Humourously bad answers also provide some entertainment unless there are so many that it becomes depressing.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Alea, I think so far you and I are the only ISFJs on here. I actually wouldn't have guessed that we would get the same, but it makes sense in some ways. :)
I'm one of those too.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:56 pm

If you mix my results, you can get ISFJ!

Of course, if you mix my results, you can get ANYTHING that ends in J.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:28 pm

This isn't so much about Kimme, but I do have a question to ask her!

So, do they make allergy shots for dogs? Because my poor pup-pup is basically allergic to being alive. We control for his food allergies, but we can't control everything.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:56 am

starlooker, when did you change your picture?

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:52 am

A few hours ago. It just felt like time.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:04 am

Have you had that one before? It looks familiar.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”