About a Tree

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

About a Tree

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm

- How's your tree doing?
I couldn't find a better place to ask. You're not online. And I really want to know! So...
Hey Alea! How is your tree doing??????

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Now I feel like a goob; I was thinking I might get asked this stuff in PM or IM or by people around here, not on the board. But this is sweet of you, Teresa. Sorry for everyone else but you can not read past this if you're not interested.

I'm not sure how much you know about my history with this tree and why the question would even be important to me but I'll try to give a short (for me) rundown.

-5-6 years ago, my dad planted the tree.
-Jan. of 2007, after it was about 6 feet tall, we had temps in the 20s for a few days and it "died". Or so we thought.
-Sometime in 2007, we noticed growth at the base, from the roots. My brother remained in charge of it until January of 2009.
-Jan. 2009, I took over because my brother sucks. Growth occurred from that point until February of 2011. It was at least 12ft at that point, possibly taller but hard to give an accurate height.
-February 2011, the tree got the same look it did in Jan. 2007. I assumed it was a goner this time.

Nomi was really awesome and tried to look into it for me (without me asking, which makes it extra awesome but typical of Nomi) but was somewhat limited by not knowing the actual type of tree it was. The leaves matched mine but the zoomed out images she found didn't look similar enough for me to be sure that was it and my dad no longer remembers the name. But guesses were that it wasn't the cold, like my father and I thought both times, but possible disease and/or pests.

So, hopefully understandably, it's been a frustrating process. First my brother stunted it's potential growth by not properly caring for it, then it "died" twice, so it's not the full grown, shade providing, flowering tree it should be.

My dad and I both like the tree's "spirit." It's a fighter.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I can get it nice and strong and big again before next January, so that it will hopefully survive whatever it is that seems to get it in the "winter," be it temperature, disease, pests, or something else.

Here she is a few weeks ago:

Part of the old stump is still sticking up but I'll cut it down closer to the base as soon as I identify a new "trunk" branch. What's really cool for me is how I can tell it is growing; I'm currently using my body as a measuring tool. It was at my nose a week or two ago, it's now at my forehead at the highest point. I am also enjoying getting a close look at the branches as they turn from the green baby branch to the sturdier, hardened wood.

So, to answer the question, my tree is making me proud, even if I wish that I didn't have to nurse it back to its former size.

If you're wondering if I'm one of those weirdos who talks/sings/otherwise encourages their plants....why yes, yes I am. I actually got into calling it "sexy" for some reason that I couldn't begin to explain. *waits for someone to quote the "hardened wood" and "sexy" part, realizes no one made it this far, is relieved*

:)
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 am

I read it all! Can you post or link a few other tree pics? One of it full grown, one of it dead, a close up of one whole leaf? I want to enlist some expert help to identify this sucker once and for all!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:06 am

I read it all! Can you post or link a few other tree pics? One of it full grown, one of it dead, a close up of one whole leaf? I want to enlist some expert help to identify this sucker once and for all!
:mrgreen:

I can use my dad's tree to get a full grown picture, otherwise I'll have to look for the picture of my tree at the biggest it's ever been for me (nowhere near as large as my dad's). I can do the dead ones; those are in the Anger thread. The leaves I can also do/have done. Thanks!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm sending good thoughts to your tree!

I have had pretty much a bad experience with anything i've ever tried to grow... Especially a strawberry plan about 3 years ago.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:41 pm

I planted two trees in my front yard when I was five. My parents said it was okay because they let my brother plant half a dozen or more over the years and his had always died within a year and they didn't think mine would last. (Otherwise, they probably would have made me plant them in the backyard where the maple trees are.) When I was little, I watered them, picked off and burnt the bagworm cocoons, and overall just generally cared for the tree. I even built a rock "fence" around the trunks so that they wouldn't get mowed over.

Nearly 20 years later, both are much taller than the house. I sort of miss having my own trees, but I don't miss spending time caring for them.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:21 pm

I gathered up the pictures and posted them. Question for you. Is this tree a cutting/shoot from your dad's actual tree? Like, is it absolutely the SAME exact tree as your dad's? Or does it look just like his but not necessarily from the same exact plant?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:00 pm

I gathered up the pictures and posted them. Question for you. Is this tree a cutting/shoot from your dad's actual tree? Like, is it absolutely the SAME exact tree as your dad's? Or does it look just like his but not necessarily from the same exact plant?
It's not the same EXACT tree; it looks like his and is from the same family/is the same type. As in, I believe he bought them both at the same nursery. He tried it out at his place and when it did well, he brought a different one of the same thing down for me.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Okay, here's my dad's slightly older but considerably happier, more big kid tree:

Trunk close-up:

Entire tree:

Unhelpful but nifty look at canopy from down below:

Flower bunch:

Flower close-up:

Leaves close-up:

Sorry for the bad lighting. As it turns out, the sun does set in AZ, as well. I thought that was just a rumor.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Kind of warm outside. Anyway, I was playing in the yard and remembered about my dad's leaves looking different than mine in the images, so I took more pictures.

The first two pictures here show older leaves right next to new growth. I think, lighting aside, the older leaves look the same as my dad's.

Remember how I mentioned the holes before? On the old trunk:

I seriously hope that's not some bug invasion but I can't see what else would do that, unless that's part of the old path the amber took back in February to get out of the tree (because there were the hardened amber deposits all over the tree). These worry me a bit but the tree seems to be coming along nicely, still.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:09 pm

They look like beetle holes to me.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:47 pm

I do think they are the same trees. I've posted the dead tree trunk picture to see if the experts can make anything of the holes.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:52 pm

They look like beetle holes to me.
Argh. You are probably not far off the mark, which sucks. I've been reading about this since you pointed me in that direction and they say "prevention" is the best defense and that it's difficult to get rid of them once they're there.

This poor tree is cursed. :(

Thanks, Nomi.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Even if those holes were caused by beetles, they wouldn't be IN the new growth yet. So, you could still treat it. But it would probably be best to find out what type of beetles, so you know when to apply a pesticide. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:49 pm

My tree is once again, officially, taller than me. :mrgreen:

It's not by much but I can't get over how awesome it is to have noticeable growth.

Did I mention earlier that, after years of calling it "my tree," I've decided to name it...so it "knows" I'm cheering it on? Okay, so on no level whatsoever does it feel or think anything in the sense that I mean but whatever. Neither do cars or appliances and other like-minded people name those things.

I'm calling her Phoenix. She grows, dies, and grows again. Seemed fitting.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:35 pm

And of course because Pheeny was deserving of a namesake, right? (Did you know that Pheeny's full name was Phoenix?)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:42 pm

(Did you know that Pheeny's full name was Phoenix?)

I think we've talked about this on the board before but I also think my head wants to believe it is Pheeny after the Boy Meets World character. (Spelled Feeny?)

But yes, of course. Pheeny is definitely deserving of a namesake. :D

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:17 pm

It was a dual purpose name. My first beardie died after a month, so Pheeny rose from it's ashes. But it was also a shout out to Mr. Feeny. (Feeny!)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:53 pm

(Feeny!)
:lol:

I love you.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:57 pm

I <3 you too. :)

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Yay! happy tree!

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:20 pm

This thread made me think of two things...

Feeny!

Me father...

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Eric was the best. Although, Topanga was the cutest.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Eric was the best.

This popped up over my lunch, so imagine the pain that has been dealt to me at having to sit through 5 agonizing, excruciating hours of not being able to share my opinion. ;)

*sigh* Eric is a sore point for me. He started out the series as a goofy, immature person who was also reasonably smart and morphed into a caricature of some slap-happy simpleton.

I know, I know, this was on TGIF for crying out loud, let's not get too upset but he had so much potential and they ruined him.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:19 pm

I understand, I do. But he was still great with his Feeny Calls.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Can't argue that.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 pm

*sigh* Eric is a sore point for me. He started out the series as a goofy, immature person who was also reasonably smart and morphed into a caricature of some slap-happy simpleton.

I know, I know, this was on TGIF for crying out loud, let's not get too upset but he had so much potential and they ruined him.
Yes! Exactly! I have had so many fights with my younger sister over this topic.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:15 pm

I understand, I do. But he was still great with his Feeny Calls.

That's two references for the price of one, there.

I actually couldn't find this picture online, despite the hilarity it caused me to first find it. I had to upload it myself.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:40 am

Yes! Exactly! I have had so many fights with my younger sister over this topic.
I had a friend growing up that was a goofy, immature person who was also reasonably smart who morphed into a caricature of some slap-happy simpleton. So... I found that perfectly believable.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Because everyone is at least as excited about my tree as I am...

June, when it was shorter than me still:

Today, after a haircut, when it is at least a foot taller than me:

I had to give the branches a fair shot at being the next trunk and I've narrowed it down to three finalists :P No, more like I'm hoping to train those to grow upwards more and closer together and will keep them all.

I still have another month and half of really warm weather, then a month or so of moderately warm weather, then another month or two of coolish weather before the worst of it comes. If the tree can survive January-March, it'll get big just like it was before. I just have to be more vigilant in keeping it warm.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Once it will stay up on it's own, I would remove those ropes. Remember how those tree people said that the ropes were "choking" the tree or something. But it looks great!

GS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GS » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 pm

I just have to be more vigilant in keeping it warm.
I fully expect to see your tree dressed up in winter garb. Complete with winter hat, scarf, parka and snow pants. Make it happen!

And, you can choke trees?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Once it will stay up on it's own, I would remove those ropes. Remember how those tree people said that the ropes were "choking" the tree or something. But it looks great!

Yeppers, I remember. I will be watching it closely to make sure the branches stay safe and I'll remove the rope just as soon as possible.

And thanks! I'm disproportionately proud of it for growing. Give them water and they get bigger, go figure!

I just have to be more vigilant in keeping it warm.
I fully expect to see your tree dressed up in winter garb. Complete with winter hat, scarf, parka and snow pants. Make it happen!
:mrgreen:

You are my favorite person named Ed. I kind of figured you'd suggest cuddling with it, though.

And, you can choke trees?
My mom's boyfriend tied a rope around it last time to help it straighten up -winds coming from the same direction caused it to grow at an angle- and the tree started to grow around it. I don't know if that's choking it but I was angry that it happened. My fault for not watching more closely, though.

GS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GS » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Cuddling would be fine, but then you would have to don the wintry clothes.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:56 pm

I would if I didn't have to keep looking up what a parka is.

Say it with me, Easterner, "jacket." Because there are only two levels of those things: hoodie and jacket.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”