Shadows in Flight

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Definite BS. Hands down.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Combobreakertiem.

Question: Why would someone want to bring back Ender('s aiua) anyway? Leave Ender alone! </sob>

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:09 pm

I thought this would be ironic, if Bean comes out of his voyage and finds Peter in control of Starways Congress. "I come three-thousand years into the future and he's still ruling humanity."
This will most likely not happen, but I would love it if it did
Yeahhh, I am not a fan, because the more this sounds like ~an unnamed but famous 1960s sci fi series I will not spoil for the uninitiated that ends up involving extraordinarily long lived rulers & copies~, the less I desperately want to read it :D
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Ender751
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ender751 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:57 pm

don't mean to bring this back from the dead. but check this out:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5876081/1/Shadows_in_Flight
-Nick

Bean scored higher on the Battle School tests than anyone else in history. No on else was close. Well, Ender was close, but close is relative. Bean was off the charts.
How? He answered questions you didn't ask?
Exactly, He had time to spare. He commented on them and mentioned how the test could have been improved.

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Sun May 16, 2010 9:41 pm

SiF will hopefully resolve everything.
What franchise fiction in human history has ever resolved everything? I only know a tiny fraction of all fiction, but I can't name even one.

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:50 pm

it better end up the storylines. cuz i wanted to feel good afher i read knowing thats how it ends. not all pissed cause the ending of it was crappy! like the end of Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Hegemon, Xenocide, and Ender's Game (the ending)and Shadow of the Giant.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

The Doreman
Launchie
Launchie

some of the unresolved issues

Postby The Doreman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:11 am

Many things MUST be addressed in SiF:

What happened to Bean after he left?
Did Bean find a "Cure" for himself and the children?
Who are the "Descolodores" (spelling?)?
Does Peter version 2.0 go on to conquer the universe?
Does Miro, Wang Mu, and/or Peter 2.0 learn to do what Jane does?
What kind of children would Miro and Jane have? and would they have Jane's abilties?
At the end of Children of the Mind, Peter 2.0 tell Admiral Lands that they would be happy to send all ships currently in flight to their destinations// Does that include Bean and Co.?
What happened to the lost child of Bean and Petra?
What became of all of the Jeesh?
Where did the genetic alteration on Path originate? Volescu perhaps? Bean? The Lost Child? Starways Congress?
Does Jane offer anytime flight or is there a schedule?
Does Bean have anything to do with the Descolodores?
Did Bean know about Jane at all?
How big is Bean? How big are his kids? How much time elapses for them?
Does he live to the "current" time?
What happened to Novinha, Quara, and the rest of the gang on Lusitania?
Where does the Hive Queen figure into all of this?

At any rate, Those are a few of the thoughts I had on this topic. Let me know what you guys (and gals) thinks.
"Just open the door."
"I can't! It's locked!"
"Who said anything about unlocking it?"
-Ed Norman

Kill Devil Hill
Soldier
Soldier

Re: some of the unresolved issues

Postby Kill Devil Hill » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 pm

What happened to the lost child of Bean and Petra?
Already solved. Unless you mean post-EiE?

piers_styx
Launchie
Launchie

Postby piers_styx » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:37 pm

I see some conflict: is SiF a sequel to Giant or not? In the case that it's not, my friend will be extremely devastated, as she is obsessed with Bean to the point of insanity.

CotM didn't have a really resolved ending, did it? I think another book is needed to tie everything together. Somehow. *crosses fingers*
Its both a sequel to SotG and CotM. It ties up both story lines and the entire series apparently. Its gonna be weird though. It'll be the first book without either Ender or Bean playing any real part in it at all.
"The consolations of philosophy are many, but never enough." -Mazer Rackham, pg. 161, The Shadow of The Giant

NightwingN
Launchie
Launchie

Postby NightwingN » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:18 am

I was thinking, what if the descolada virus is the cure that Bean and his kids have been waiting for? We know that it reconstructs DNA. For humans this means a gruesome death, but maybe when combined with Anton's Key it creates a third life for them or negates the giantism effect. One problem I see with this solution is that they would now be carriers of the descolada and unable to return to the human race once cured (repeating Starways Congress' fear of spreading the descolada from Milagre). Sorry if this idea has been brought up already in some other thread. I'm new to the forums and haven't had much time to explore the rest of the site. Anyways, overall I'm really interested to see how the Descoladores' loose thread is played out in the next book.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:08 pm

SPOILERS?

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/P ... 0765332000

(If the link doesn't work: (Spoilers, I mean it)
At the end of Shadow of the Giant, Julian Delphiki--called “Bean” at the Battle School by Ender’s Jeesh--flees to the stars with three of his children. They are the three who share the engineered genes that gave him both hyper-intelligence and a short and cruel physical life. The time dilation granted by the speed of their travel gives Earth’s scientists generations to seek a cure, but to no avail. In time, they are forgotten--a fading ansible signal speaking of events lost to Earth’s history. But the Delphikis are about to make a discovery that will let them save themselves, and perhaps all of humanity in days to come.

For there in space before them lies a derelict Formic colony ship. Aboard it, they will find both death and wonders--the life support that is failing on their own ship, room to grow, and labs in which to explore their own genetic anomaly and the mysterious disease that killed the ship’s colony.
& for further confirmation (?) scroll down to January:
http://www.locusmag.com/Resources/ForthcomingBooks.html
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm

It was also pointed out recently on Hatrack that it's actually listed among his works in progress now. There seems to be some uncertainty if the title is still "Shadows in Flight" or if it is now "Shadows Alive".

But on the down side, it doesn't sound like it necessarily ties into the Speaker series anymore, and I've been looking forward for something post-CotM for many years now. OSC does like to change his mind about his stories a lot between when he first mentions them and when he actually gets around to writing them.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 pm

It was also pointed out recently on Hatrack that it's actually listed among his works in progress now. There seems to be some uncertainty if the title is still "Shadows in Flight" or if it is now "Shadows Alive".

But on the down side, it doesn't sound like it necessarily ties into the Speaker series anymore, and I've been looking forward for something post-CotM for many years now. OSC does like to change his mind about his stories a lot between when he first mentions them and when he actually gets around to writing them.
From Hatrack:
For years now OSC has been planning to wrap up the Shadow and Speaker series with a book called Shadows in Flight. Recently, in working on a short novel that follows Bean and his children into space, it became clear that Shadows in Flight was the perfect title for that book, while the big wrap-up novel that brings Bean's children together with Peter and Valentine from Children of the Mind will now be entitled Shadows Alive.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:56 am

Well I guess that settles that.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:36 am

Over on the hatrack main page there's cover art, a release date (nov 28th), and small blurb on SiF.

So am I really to believe that SiF comes out in November and "Shadows Alive" will be released in January? That seems too good to be true.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:53 am

More info in a post by OSC at hatrack.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:09 pm

I wonder how I can work myself into the acknowledgments of this one...
8)
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Re: Shadows in Flight

Postby HectorVictorious » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:32 pm

I probably sound really stupid, but I thought that SiF was supposed to be released sometime in November. The 28? But just now I read somwhere that a sample chapter is going to be released on that date, not the book. Is this true? If, unfortunately, so, does anyone know the release date?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Well, Amazon has it listed as being released on January 17, 2012.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:38 pm

on hatrack it says the same thing
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby OSCjunkie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Anybody else worried that Flight will be just as bad as Exile? Both are books that he didn't intend to write but came about because of his publishers asking him for more. Alive is the one he wanted to write but Flight is some kind of bridge to get us there. I personally don't need every second of every day accounted for. A quick catch-up on what's happened is enough. OSC should just write the story he wants. He's OSC. Nobody's going to refuse to publish it.

I hope Jan 17 gives me enough time to finish SotG. Its like reading a recount of a game of Risk. Boring! A lot of posturing and Bean finds a kid. More posturing. Another kid. Shadow series is losing steam and that makes me sad. The original Ender Quartet and the first three in the Shadow series were inspired! What the heck happened?
"I aim to misbehave."- Mal, Serenity.

candygirl103
Launchie
Launchie

Re:

Postby candygirl103 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Well pigs flying has a relation... because pigs can "fly" in a sense if they're on a starship.

When u watch that geico comercial where the piggie is hagging on the cable thru the forest, does it make you think that could be a pequenino??? It always makes me laugh. :). I can picture this happening on Lusitania...

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”