Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:12 am

This reminded me of Jan's post in here; it made me very sad at the levels of unnecessarily tragic this reached.
I saw that this morning, too. I had the same thoughts.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:12 am

It makes me so mad. On so many levels.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:27 pm

The boys are all at a Father/Son campout with church. Kinley and I get a girl's night...except that she's only 1 and I don't remember how to have just a baby. We've read books, stacked play doh containers and now we're having some watermelon and sugar snap peas. Then she's going to have a bath before bed and I get to fold the massive amounts of laundry taking over my bed. I think girl's night will be a lot more fun when she gets a little older.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Stupid, stupid yeast problem!!!! GO AWAY!

At this point, I've gotten it under control enough with lifestyle changes that I rarely get full-blown infection. That's not good enough for me, though. I am so tired of always feeling on the verge of an infection at all times. I'm glad for the break that I had while I was pregnant and nursing, but this has been going on since I stopped nursing Brayden and he's almost 4! Enough is enough!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:21 am

Are you sure it's yeast related at this point? I felt like I had a yeast/bladder infection for 4-5 years but tested negative. I had urethral syndrome, an irritation of the urethra. Anything acidic, like coffee or tea, made it worse. And the first pee of the morning stung more. Is yours itchy or burny? Anyway, just an idea. You could always see a urologist to see if they could help.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:18 am

My ob/gyn has tested and seen both yeast and bacteria. I may need to go in again to see if they'll check for other things.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 am

That really sucks. *hugs*
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks. On the + side, going off processed sugar and flour for the last couple of weeks, trying to kick the yeast, has caused me to loose the last 6-7 baby pounds. I don't know that I want to not eat oreos at all any more. It's not like I eat them often, but I'd like to be able to sit down with my kids and eat an oreo.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Relating back to the gender roles conversation we were having earlier, I absolutely HATE the Miller Lite commercials.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:55 pm

I don't watch enough TV to know which/what you mean, Claire. Can you expand on that or link to something, please?
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Their whole campaign is "man up and choose a light beer with more taste". The commercials make really ridiculous judgments about what is manly, and imply that you're only attractive if you fit their judgment of manly, etc. Its not only stupid, its offensive.

"we're saving you from unmanly behavior"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IizMrO2K4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJ8mCV39M8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUJ36nFdOyg&NR=1

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Heh, the first few of those were amusing back when it started, but they wore out the formula pretty quick and they're just annoying anymore. Almost as annoying as the damn Geico gecko.
The enemy's fly is down.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:52 pm

I feel like such a woman failure because I think someone forgot to pull that tab thing in the battery compartment of my biological clock. No desire to have kids. Not even a little.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:49 am

Don't feel like a failure! Lots of women find for whatever reason that they don't want kids! Heck, I'm halfway there, and I'm still massively freaked out by the idea!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:23 am

I feel like such a woman failure because I think someone forgot to pull that tab thing in the battery compartment of my biological clock. No desire to have kids. Not even a little.
I have no desire either and I'm sure I'm much older than you. Please try not to feel like a woman failure. That's just society pushing their expectations on you. You have to do whatever makes you happy.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:35 am

Please don't feel like a woman failure! Having kids is not for everyone and I feel sorry for kids whose parents don't want kids but have them anyway. It's so not fair to the kid or the parent. I fully support people choosing to not have kids!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:15 am

Please don't feel like a woman failure! Having kids is not for everyone and I feel sorry for kids whose parents don't want kids but have them anyway. It's so not fair to the kid or the parent. I fully support people choosing to not have kids!
Amen to this.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:39 am

Ughhh can we please invent a less painful way of laser hair removal? Or a quicker way?

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:44 pm

I don't know...seems to me the permanence and convenience of laser hair removal justifies the pain and time it may take to make happen. I have no idea how long or painful that process is but considering the time/pain you'll save down the road, it seems fair enough to me.

Unwanted body hair is one of those things I've struggled with. I'm getting better about it but it's still something I'm working on.

In other potentially girly news, this:
I also am now making it a point to be concerned about portion sizes, not eating after 8 if I can help it, and trying to achieve some semblance of a healthy diet but all that last thing means is snacking on fruit or nuts or toast instead of on chips, desserts, etc.
seems to be paying off for my weight. I have dropped 4lbs over the past two weeks and am now sitting happily at my happy/goal weight.

Now, no offense to the twigs of the world, because I know there a lot of people who have high metabolisms or whatnot and may or may not struggle with their twiginess, but the more I see pictures of once healthy looking Hollywood starlets who now resemble bobbleheads or lollipops, the happier I am with my own body. Which is probably not a good thing, for me to feel better because of how I see them, but it's what's happening.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:28 pm

I have had some laser hair removal, due to incredibly dense/coarse hair and the problems with removing it by regular means. I don't mind the pain or time involved (pain is less than waxing for me), though the price is quite exorbitant. I would have a lot more laser if it was more affordable.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:43 pm

I am so getting laser hair removal as soon as I can justify the cost. Which might seem weird because I don't shave my legs very often, but I think my problem is there are so many areas I'd want it done, and I don't think I could have the patience/tolerance to well, do them all.

My metabolism and I are currently at war with each other. So far the basic/non-targeted hormone adjustment does seem to be working though I am half tempted to try the other one the endocrinologist gave me when I start at my new job I feel a bit more comfortable in my clothes and what not. The little things.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:53 pm

I would love to afford laser hair removal. I don't have the energy/motivation/time to shave daily, but I'd love to have the hair gone forever.

In other news, some magazine seems to think I'm pregnant. They sent me a free subscription to start my pregnancy off right. Do they know something I don't?

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:07 am

I hate how unsafe i feel when I'm home alone. I don't like being alone during the day, but once it gets dark it gets worse. I don't want to sleep, I make sure the doors are locked over and over. I hate being alone.
Every sound could be some unknown bad thing lurking in the dark. Or even worse bad things that i know.

I hate it

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:20 am

You'fre right that it night be something bad. But it could just as easily be something wonderfully exciting. Like a kitty cat! Or a Bat! Or a badger!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:35 pm

apparently you've never met a badger... they aren't generally good company, nor something you want in your house.

generally speaking, i want none of those in my house.
Ubernaustrum

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:41 pm

You'fre right that it night be something bad. But it could just as easily be something wonderfully exciting. Like a kitty cat! Or a Bat! Or a badger!
apparently you've never met a badger... they aren't generally good company, nor something you want in your house.

generally speaking, i want none of those in my house.
Badgers are bad ass mo fos.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:44 pm

I usually keep a bat around, just in case a badger stops by for a visit.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Badgers are bad ass mo fos.
yep, they're my favorite college team

wisconsin is the land of the badger. :D
Ubernaustrum

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Or a badger!

I am so happy you're posting regularly again. :D
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Or a badger!

I am so happy you're posting regularly again. :D
2nded.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:14 am

It was about time, yes?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:38 am

It was about time, yes?
About time you started posting again? Or about time that people are happy about it?

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Both options are acceptable.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:28 pm

I had what were probably the least painful cramps I've had in ages today and I'm pretty sure I saw some period related discharge, though not my actual period, so I should be bleeding soon. This is good news in that it explains a bit the epic low I felt yesterday at what should have been shake-off type comments. I'm a bit nervous, after 2 months of overall happiness, that I'm going to go full stride into another depressive episode. Thankfully, these have been self-contained little episodes.

Anyway, some irrational thoughts I had yesterday and some general rambling.

What I posted about my grandma not being wrong about me, I stand by. It's not as self-deprecating or depression/low self-esteem based as it may seem. I'm doing better with all that stuff lately. Not the best but better.

I am plain. Not ugly but also not turn-heads pretty. Plain and simple and if you weren't already looking for me, I wouldn't stick out in a crowd. I'm okay with that.

But the way my grandma reminds me, well, it's like she's trying to pass on the hurt her own mother gave her with similar comments. She has said she needs to see someone about the issues she has from her parents and I don't think she's wrong about that, either. I think I'm a punching bag sort of thing for her.

But being okay with being plain doesn't mean you don't want someone to find you pretty. Not everyone, not just anyone. Someone. If you catch my drift. When I'm already in a depressive mode, no matter how minor it might be, it's easy to start thinking negatively.

By the time I got back to my room from my mom's after hearing the comment, I was half-convinced that the boy would agree with my grandma. For all I know, he does. From there, it stemmed into this whole big "I'm pretty sure he hates me/thinks I'm boring/lies to me about liking my company just like everyone else" and it was unbearable, being in my head. I knew to make those leaps was irrational and stupid but in the middle of it, it made perfect sense. Nothing could convince me otherwise and in fact, I could probably convince a person or two of it.

This piled into the strange pressure I now feel to lose weight, after seeing the doctor this past Thursday. I don't want to lose weight, even if I am squishy. But to hear the "O" word (not the fun one, at that) was scary and undermined everything I thought about how healthy I was. I'm 134-137lbs. I'm 5'2". Plug that stuff into BMI or imagine people you know who might have similar measurements. I'm not thin. I'm just not. But I'm not obese, either. I hate to whip out the "big-boned" stuff but I'm not built with a small frame, exactly. I'm supposed to be 14-17lbs lighter, as a maximum, but ideally, 34-37 lbs lighter. I am convinced I would look...sick, flat, skeletal. I had a really fun talk with Teresa about this the day I got the measurements from the doctor.

I don't know. I often times feel like I got stuck at puberty, as far as my self-image is concerned. All the grown-ups don't seem to care what they look like and/or aren't fixated on it.

Oh well. I'm feeling good enough today to at least trust that if this boy doesn't think I'm pretty, there is bound to be one who does so let's not sweat it.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:24 am

For what it's worth, I think you're pretty. So what if you're not drop-dead gorgeous, you're still attractive you dork, both physically and in what some would argue are more important ways.
The enemy's fly is down.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”