Letterboxing & Geocaching

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Letterboxing & Geocaching

Postby Luet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:50 am

Has anyone heard of it or done it? My husband and I are just getting into letterboxing. It's like a treasure hunt of sorts with clues to boxes listed on the internet. Once you find them, you record the stamp from the box into your log book. You also leave your personal stamp in the log book of the box. Geocaching is the high-tech version using GPS to find boxes.

Anyway, here is the website:
www.letterboxing.org

They have boxes listed for Canada (even St. John's) as well! :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 am

I've heard of Geocaching. I've never really been into it, but I've tagged along with friends who are. It can be kinda interesting to know pretty exactly where something is and still not be able to find it.

There's a fairly nerdy offshoot of it called Geohashing. In short, it uses computer encryption to choose a near-random location where everyone who knows about it can meet up to say hi and see what there is to do there. It's kind of a random adventure generator.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:51 pm

I know a resident who goes geo-caching pretty much every day he has off. He had to explain it to me though! I think he thought I was pretty dense when I asked if I could do it with my Garmin.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:11 pm

We found 5 letterboxes this weekend. It was fun and I got way more exercise from the hiking than I have in a long time. I hope some of you will try it out and let me know what you think.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 pm

I know a resident who goes geo-caching pretty much every day he has off. He had to explain it to me though! I think he thought I was pretty dense when I asked if I could do it with my Garmin.
There shouldn't be a reason why you couldn't. The Garmin I've used has a screen where you can view coordinates and altitude, etc.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 pm

I haven't gotten to do any letterboxing since my trip to CA in December. It's not a hobby you can do easily in the snow. But we're taking a little road trip to do a bunch of indoor library letterboxes tomorrow. I'm excited!

Also, I planted a letterbox in my local library a couple months ago. Since then, the librarians have gotten into the hobby. They are having a children's program on letterboxing later this month and having me as a guest speaker/helper.

And in case anyone is interested, a more user-friendly site for more info is www.atlasquest.com.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:08 pm

There shouldn't be a reason why you couldn't. The Garmin I've used has a screen where you can view coordinates and altitude, etc.
The ones for a car tend not to be precise enough. Or so I've heard.

I wish there were letterboxes in my area! There are Geocaches for sure, but we don't have a GPS.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:25 am

Geocaching is.actually one of my main hobbies. a friend of mine in Texas got me into it and I've been hooked ever since. I've actually got a cache in the works for when I find the perfect spot (its going to be a large one with little pre-made caches (ie already camo'd with a logbook and all) for people to take and hide). I'll probably wait till after I move before I plant it.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:58 pm

I wish there were letterboxes in my area!
There are! Here are eight within 20 miles (most closer) of St. John's. And the nice thing is that you can always look up letterboxes if you travel to other areas.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Ooh! Thanks. There were none listed on the letterboxing site.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:33 pm

The atlasquest website has a more specific search (difficulty, basically), but it seems that the geocaching.com website doesn't allow this without paying. Anyone know of a website that allows sorting of geocaches by difficulty?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Yeah, that's why I added that atlasquest site. It has way more boxes listed and is more user friendly. Go letterboxing!

Sorry, Wil, I can't help you with the geocaching. :)

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm really confused. what is this exactly?
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:18 pm

It's kind of a treasure hunt and you find clues online. Go to any of the above websites to read more about it. Or try google!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”