Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:26 pm

We've had two noticeable earthquakes since Thursday (maybe Friday...those two days blurred together for me thanks to book order stuff), with the Thursday-possibly-Friday one a 5.1. That was a nice, slow, rolling, gentle earthquake here (can't speak for the epicenter, which was Mexico or SoCal, I think) but the one today was stronger, more rocking...so it was shallower or had a closer epicenter, or both.

Just a nice reminder to move my breakables to lower shelves so there's no repeat of last year's Easter quake, in which I lost a glassy life. RIP, colored glass decoration thing.

--------------------------

Pancakes sound really good at the moment.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm dying for a hamburger. I would eat them almost every night this week if given the option. Of course, I could make that happen, but I'd feel silly and probably sick and I want to eat other things, too.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm feeling impulsive and keep pricing tickets to Portland in May, even though I have no money to buy anything. I'm afraid that if I keep pricing, I'll end up buying something regardless.

I need to find other ways to keep occupied until this feeling goes away and I can regain focus.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm feeling impulsive and keep pricing tickets to Portland in May, even though I have no money to buy anything. I'm afraid that if I keep pricing, I'll end up buying something regardless.

I need to find other ways to keep occupied until this feeling goes away and I can regain focus.
Well, I can't say I blame you. Portland is a pretty cool place to visit.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Nonetheless, we approve.

On a similar note, I keep shopping for apartments closer to downtown, since I work there, spend most of my free time there, and know no one near where I live, only as close as downtown or past it. Since I have no set timeframe for moving, I can take my time to find an apartment that isn't super rundown and within my price range.

The options are either a) just out of my price range and super-duper nice, or b) extremely affordable and dumpy. Why isn't there a medium? Why?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 pm

When did Cash Cab Chicago come around?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:55 pm

If I didn't completely misread an article, it looks like December of 2010 or January of 2011. While I would never want to be on tv, not even for a chance to win money, I think that's awesome.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:08 pm

If I didn't completely misread an article, it looks like December of 2010 or January of 2011. While I would never want to be on tv, not even for a chance to win money, I think that's awesome.
I was really confused because I wasn't looking at the tv and heard the intro and then a womans voice. For a second I thought they replaced Ben.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 pm

For a second I thought they replaced Ben.
I would probably explode. Ben is the best thing to happen to... anything.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:42 pm

Ben & Jerry's is the best thing to happen to... anything.

*nods* So wise, Boss.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Ben & Jerry's is the best thing to happen to... anything.

*nods* So wise, Boss.
Nuh uh. Out here it is the same dang price as the handmade stuff down the road. And I tell you, Ben & Jerry have never yet done a lavender ice cream.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 pm

lavender ice cream.

Isn't lavender a color? Or a soap/lotion scent?

My ice cream need only be cookies 'n' cream or chocolate fudge brownie; multitasking is optional.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:44 pm

Isn't lavender a color? Or a soap/lotion scent?
Someone has never had lavender-flavored tea. Not sure if it would be a good ice cream flavor, though.

My favorite Ben & Jerry's is peanut butter cup, but for some reason everyone loves Fish Food. What's with that?

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Cookies n' cream is one of my favorite. Alea, someday you need to try it with a ripe, cut up nectarine (which you've probably never even eaten but try it!). That is one of my favorite flavor combinations.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:54 pm

I like vanilla ice cream...

That's right, I'm the most boring person ever.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:56 pm

I can't seem to get enough of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia lately. I love the fruit and ice cream combo.

Although, we have this local Snoqualmie brand that has a honey and cinnamon custard... SOOO good!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Ali, there is a gelato shop around here that always has either lavender, violet or rose flavors. They are awesome.

Alea, a nectarine is similar to a peach, and you've had one of those, so go ahead and not be scared of the nectarine!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:19 pm

go ahead and not be scared of the nectarine!
:lol:

Sometimes it scares me how well some of you know me.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Me too!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:28 pm

Vanilla is about the least boring flavor ever. I have no idea how this stereotype came about. It's a rich, interesting flavoring that was highly prized back in the day before it was easily imitated.

Anyway, it's stupid.

Row--row.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:40 pm

vanilla is a subtle flavor.... usually. its refreshing if it's done right.

and i don't like fruit in my ice cream. or yogurt for that matter. flavor yes, chunks of s*** in my smooth creamy food no. it just has a bad texture in my opinion.

though... that's not completely true, i do enjoy blizzards from DQ (or the even better version that's at frosty freeze here in my town.... ohhhhh i wish that place was open year round)
Ubernaustrum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:46 pm

I have no idea how this stereotype came about.
Because it was so good that it became the most popular iced cream flavor. So, everyone that had iced cream had (at least) vanilla, so it became the default.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:18 am

Personally, I'm starting to see Chocolate as the "default boring flavor" along with chocolate chip cookie dough. They're both good, but so typical.

Personally I love me some mint ice cream. Though really my favorite is banana...not banana flavor, but taking a frozen banana and running it through a food processor. It ends up a texture and flavor that is shockingly like ice cream.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:09 am

Chocolate as the "default boring flavor" along with chocolate chip cookie dough. They're both good, but so typical.
The first part sounds about right for all the adults I know. They seem to prefer, out of the default plain top three, strawberry, vanilla, then chocolate, in that order. I won't touch strawberry ice cream. I have eaten it, I don't dislike it, I just kind of don't want to bother. Vanilla and chocolate are both hit or miss for me, as far as plain ice creams are concerned. I've had some really bland for both and I've had some really nuanced and tasty for both, and tons more that was in between. I've only ever found chocolate to be typical amongst the under 12 crowd and even then, most group events where ice cream (or cake) is served, vanilla is what's handed out and I can only assume it's because it's the universally least offensive ice cream or something.

Chocolate chip cookie dough (which, I've never heard of as an ice cream flavor...I've heard of cookie dough but that's just little wads of plain dough in vanilla) is not even close to typical for anyone I know.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 am

I had never heard that people didn't like strawberry ice cream until I went to college, when I found out that NO ONE DID. So I have no idea what you're talking about. We're clearly on two opposite ends of the spectrum, actually, both of us seeing a normal medium of people that both like and dislike strawberry.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 am

Chocolate chip cookie dough (which, I've never heard of as an ice cream flavor...I've heard of cookie dough but that's just little wads of plain dough in vanilla) is not even close to typical for anyone I know.
I've never heard of cookie dough ice cream that was NOT chocolate chip cookie dough. As in, little pieces of chocolate chip cookie dough mixed into vanilla ice cream. Are you sure those wads of plain dough weren't in fact chocolate chip cookie dough? Why would anyone want wads of plain dough? I personally dislike cookie dough ice cream because I don't like eating cookie dough but it is a very popular flavor.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:36 am

I like real strawberry ice cream, i.e., homemade. I can't stand that disturbing pink frozen stuff you buy in stores. I also like a really nice vanilla and a (Dutch) chocolate frozen yoghurt.

But there's nothing at all like the lavender. I'm also a big, big fan of the Turkish Delight ice cream I had in Oxford. I do enjoy oreo and cookie dough ice creams, but I find them a bit rich. Oh, and I like pistachio too.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 am

Are you sure those wads of plain dough weren't in fact chocolate chip cookie dough?
Yep. If we had it in the house, I'd dig through the container to find the little wads and I can't recall there ever being chocolate inside of it. I enjoyed the texture of the dough, as well as the taste, so I didn't mind the lack of chocolate.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 am

Cake batter ice cream with chocolate chip cookie dough mixed in is pretty much heaven.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:21 am

What on earth is cake batter ice cream? Is it just cake batter run through an ice cream maker instead of baked?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

What on earth is cake batter ice cream? Is it just cake batter run through an ice cream maker instead of baked?
I always just get it at Coldstone, but here is a recipe that might work. (Now that I have a recipe, I think I'll be trying it at home!)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:33 pm

Back when I worked at Cold Stone, I had stopped eating the ice cream after awhile, but then they came out with cake batter. I was in trouble.

That recipe looks about right. All you have to do is add some yellow cake mix to your basic ice cream base. I've made it several times. It really is way more amazing than you expect it to be.

I like mine with brownies. Yum. I may have to make some soon.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 pm

My favorite Coldstone combo is chocolate ice cream with strawberries, bananas and yellow cake chunks mixed in. Fortunately, I don't live too close to one. :)

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:50 pm

When we go to Coldstone I can't seem to get anything other then cheesecake ice cream with oreo and graham crackers... It's amazing!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”