Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:03 pm

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/C ... VideoGames

Gorge yourselves, PWebbers!

Myself, while they clash with the series often campy nature, I enjoy Metal Gear Solid's more serious pieces, like The Best is Yet to Come and Calling to the Night
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:19 pm

On the subject of awesome, game music, this definitely qualifies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypdatn0tweE
Ah yes, how could I have forgotten to include the Super Metroid theme.

I actually like this version more than the fancy orchestrated one though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATw5tPH-mG4
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Assuming you've all seen this, but in case you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRv8gnBMiWM

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Assuming you've all seen this, but in case you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRv8gnBMiWM
How had I never seen this?!
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:58 pm

I assume you all already know and love OCRemix.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:44 am

I played "The Dig" for the first time a bit ago. It was pretty fun and -- wait, what was that?
Dialogue by
Orson Scott Card
<some other guy>
Well, neat! I didn't know that. Not that I felt the dialogue was anything too special, but looking back, I guess it was good.

I also finally finished the 3-etank semi-speedrun of Super Metroid I've been trying.
I assume you all already know and love OCRemix.
Eh; it's got good and bad tracks, like any music source.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 pm

I've been completely absorbed in Picross 3D on my DS. Such an addictive and compelling little puzzle game, it's been sucking up almost every spare minute since Christmas. :-p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:53 pm

I played "The Dig" for the first time a bit ago. It was pretty fun and -- wait, what was that?
Dialogue by
Orson Scott Card
<some other guy>
He did Monkey Island 3 as well. So weird to see his name in the credits.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:56 pm

I've been completely absorbed in Picross 3D on my DS. Such an addictive and compelling little puzzle game,
I've done some Picross on the DS but mostly I do PBNs online (paint by numbers). They are very addictive.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Finally got around to starting Bioshock. It's like... a steampunk dystopian Ayn Rand novel. I like it.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 am

I recently rage quit little big planet, so I'm going to get back to playing Rune Factory Frontier.

I REALLY want to replay Ar Tonelico, but I need to wait until I move. I highly recommend Ar Tonelico, btw, one of my favorite RPGs ever.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 am

For a free internet game, Echo Bazaar! is surprisingly awesome. Downside is that you can only log in using a Twitter or Facebook account, but the upside of that is that you can invite people that you know from these places to join you in the game for stuff. Amusing, weird and strangely compelling.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 am

I played some Mario 3 on my wii the other day. I can get both world 1 warp whistles and jump straight to world 8, but jesus that world is still freakily hard (harder than anything in super mario world I think) and it wasn't just being too little to play it (according to my older brother) back when I was 6 that made it so damned hard. It's interesting how different World and 3 are from each other, 3 is a damned great game, but it's more like Zelda in it's precision requirements and difficulty scale. World is much more joyous and forgiving an experience more akin to modern gameplay.

I've hit the wii fit for a weighin for every day but once this month. now if I'd actually use it as well. ;)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:24 am

Back in the day, games were made to challenging rather than just long. Try one of the classic NES Megaman games and compare it to the Megaman X series.

And speaking of Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 3 comes out this week. I've been looking forward to its release since it was first announced.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:14 am

Yeah, I picked up World back when I first got my Wii and was kind of disappointed by how easy it was. Then I remembered it was actually 3 that I had wanted for the challenge.

Speaking of the vidya, I've been playing Magicka, after picking it up on Steam for myself and a bunch of friends. It is positively crazy. There are so many spell combinations, and even more when you get more than one player in on it. Naturally, I haven't been able to play with more than one other person due to horrible schedule conflicts, but I imagine it gets even more ridiculous. You (yes, YOU) should check out the demo on Steam now.

I've also been playing through Tales of Vesperia. Tales of Symphonia is probably one of my favorite RPGs ever, and definitely has a few of my favorite characters of all time (Kratos = Cam Clarke awesomeness), so ToV had a lot to live up to. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end, as I had sat in on a few games back when it first came out, enough to know that the battle system is waaaaaaaay improved over ToS', and the story just isn't very epic. Like, at all. The villains are definitely not the reason to play the game.

Then again, we'll see. Long ways to go yet, hobbitses. Saying "nearing the end" in a JRPG does not mean actually close to finishing. And then, after this, Eternal Sonata, everyone's favorite JRPG featuring Frederic Chopin.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:38 am

I think part of why I loved the New Super Mario Bros. Wii was because it felt like a throwback to 3.

I haven't bought 3 for the Wii, simply because we still have (and use) the NES, but for those of you who have: is there a save function? My problem is that after we beat it, I never want to turn it off (and lose all those P-Wings!), so I'd seriously consider buying it if the Wii version had a way to save your progress.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:15 pm

the anthology is a port of Super Mario All Stars (sans Mario World the cheap bastards) and has the same save function SMAS had.

The download does not have a save function, iirc, and the colors were wacky on it, for me. (ie mario was a really dark maroon and you couldn't see the red doors in the castles, all other NES downloads have been normal color spectrum, not shifted).

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:10 pm

So, though I rarely play "newer" games even with my 360, I decided to pick up Mass Effect 2 due to some high recommendations from friends. But as the kind of person I am I couldn't start with 2 so I downloaded 1 on XBLA and started that the other day. I've been waiting for a successor to the KOTOR I/II title for games-of-my-heart, and these might be the droids I've been looking for. Playing through first as a Vanguard paragon.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 pm

Mass Effect is definitely a more refined KOTOR, at least the first one. It's BioWare, all grown up! I've yet to play KOTOR 2. ME2 drifts farther away from the KOTOR style, closer to the FPS aspects; but both games are excellent.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:59 pm

Definitely. I played ME1 through approximately four times, one-after-another, and I think I like it a lot more than ME2. ME2 streamlined and, if you'll forgive me for bringing out this bomb, but dumbed-down a heck of a lot. I like my old RPG inventory systems, and I loved exploring all of those planets. There are a couple cool things that ME2 brought to the table (dat final mission, for one, and several awesome new characters), but ME1 was pretty much perfection.

Row--row.

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 pm

By any chance. Anyone play Call Of Duty :Black ops. (I have a feeling someone will tell me why its not a good game)
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 pm

i played one level. over and over and over again. my dad was playing it and got to one section that neither of us could get past. tried for like 3 hours. it was fun as hell regardless. i'm sure he's past it now.
Ubernaustrum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 am

The download does not have a save function, iirc,
I'm assuming it's a Virtual Console game, though, and all VC games are effectively 1-savestate emulators. If you quit out of the game (iirc just by going to the 'home' thing or whatnot?) when you go back in, it will start up just as you had left it.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:50 am

By any chance. Anyone play Call Of Duty :Black ops. (I have a feeling someone will tell me why its not a good game)
I do. It's not my favorite game, not in the CoD series and not in the FPS genre; but it is still quite fun.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Mass Effect 2 has a "quantum entanglement communications device", where a ship can communicate across light-years in real-time, even when traveling faster-than-light, utilizing the exact same formula outlined in Ender's Game ala the Ansible system. I hope at some point in the game they at least give a cursory acknowledgment somehow in-game; a little nod to the inspiration for it.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:09 pm

From my understanding, it's nowhere near the same.

According to the in-game codex, the ships communicate using standard light speed channels with the nearest 'comm buoy'. The comm buoys are linked together with very fine beams of element-zero enhanced gravity, that then allow light to travel much faster (i.e. almost instantaneously)from buoy to buoy - basically the same tech that is used in the mass relays, but on a smaller scale and only transporting light instead of ships.. When the signal reaches the nearest comm buoy to the recipient, it is re-broadcasted using conventional channels.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:50 pm

That's the traditional comm system in Mass Effect, in ME2 Cerberus uses a much more sophisticated QE comm system to link The Illusive Man with the Normandy.

Frankly, I don't think it owes EG any more inspiration credit than it does a million other sci-fi series which had instant communication tech. EG's ansible runs on philotes, a wholly fictional type of elementary particle that has weird properties regarding relativity, where Mass Effect's system relies on more "real world" quantum effects for its tech explanations. The similarity between them is simply because they both tried to base their universes on semi-real physics, and particle physics is easy to massage into doing magical things.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:27 am

There are other EG similarities as well though.. The Rachni, an insect like race thought to be extinct, then they find an egg - of a queen, hatch it and it telepathically communicates with Shepherd, Rachni war one of miscommunication, etc.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Oh the Rachni definitely owe a debt to EG, but I think it's more likely that a scriptwriter asked whoever they had science-checking their stuff to come up with an excuse for them to use instant communications with TIM so that Shepard could interact with him without forcing the player to constantly fly to his location, and that excuse bears similarity to the ansible by virtue of emerging from similar processes, than it is likely that they decided to make the comm system similar to the ansible but used a physically distinct process to justify it.
-Alan Watts

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Adam Baldwin voices the quarian marine Kal'Reegar, and ME has a "Blue Suns" mercenary group... Yay Firefly references.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:28 am

And Kal'Reegar is almost as badass as Jayne. Almost.

Though the line 'The Geth might get me, but I'm not going to die of an infection in the middle of a battle - that's just insulting.' gets close.

Jayne
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jayne » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 pm

The hero of Canton, the man they call.... me.
Time for some thrilling heroics.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Zaeed also says at one point about how they're going to be "big goddamn heroes" possible a "big damn heroes" Firefly reference.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:37 am

I don't know if any of you have been following the increasingly weird Portal 2 ARG, but it has culminated in this.

Anyone else wildly excited?

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:19 am

I don't know if any of you have been following the increasingly weird Portal 2 ARG, but it has culminated in this.

Anyone else wildly excited?
Dude, I was just about to post about this.

Now we know where episode 3 is: its budget was entirely spent on this ARG. Have you seen the freaking Amnesia page?

So excited! "Two hours until Tuesday"!

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”