[Database] The Lexicon

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
PwebArchivist
Launchie
Launchie
Title: Official Archivist

[Database] The Lexicon

Postby PwebArchivist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm

This is basically an encyclopedia. I'm not sure how we plan to attack this bad boy but ideas/input are welcome.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 pm

The Lexicon is organized and can be sorted two ways.

First, each "entry" is placed under a section. For example, "Ansible" would be Technology (or something like that), "Launchie" would be Battle School Slang and "Pequeninos" would be Species or Biology or whatever.

Second is alphabetical, but it depends on the previous way of sorting things under sections. Basically, it ignores the sections, and just alphabetizes every "entry".

Also, you can redirect entries to other entries. For example, "Piggies" could redirect to "Pequeninos", or "Buggers" could redirect to "Formics". Much like how Wikipedia articles can be redirected to other articles.

Just keep that in mind.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Simplest but most tedious way to do it is to run through the books and pull out words, slang, planet names, etc as you come across them. I could try to do that for Children of the mind, once I get done with Xenocide (got about 1/4th of the book left).

Times like this, a digital copy helps greatly, especially a searchable one.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Re: The Lexicon

Postby OSCjunkie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Isn't most of this info in the Ender's Game companion guide by Jake Black? I've never actually seen the companion guide but it should save a lot of research time for someone.
"I aim to misbehave."- Mal, Serenity.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:09 pm

We actually had most of this 11 years ago and thankfully got most of this back a month or so ago. By "this" I mean an encyclopedia of terms, characters, etc.

The Companion is nice, I'm sure, but just to give you an idea of how cool this place used to be, someone who was a mod here wrote something on technology that is in the Companion.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby OSCjunkie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I believe you. After reading through what some have you guys have been able to uncover about the movie in progress, I feel like a launchie. I thought I was a fan because I loved the books I've read so far. You people are some serious fanboys. I'm impressed and envious.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:21 pm

To be fair, the majority of us are decidedly not fanboys and I'd go so far as to say most people don't even care for OSC that much anymore. You fit right in, promise. :) This new movie talk is getting people's curiosity and interest piqued again, though, which is nice.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

OSCjunkie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby OSCjunkie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 pm

To be fair, the majority of us are decidedly not fanboys and I'd go so far as to say most people don't even care for OSC that much anymore. You fit right in, promise. :)
I work with a couple Star Wars fanboys and a Trekkie and feel left out for being an Ender fan. They've never heard of OSC or Ender. That'll change with a movie. For good or ill depends on how it goes. Please, oh please, don't let it be Twilight bad.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”