Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:36 pm

I hate packing. I hate moving. I hate waiting for things to start happening. Gah.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 pm

A thread snagged and broke on my brand new shawl. It's pretty much unfixable, and the shawl is still gorgeous, so I'll continue to wear it, but I'm so mad! I haven't even had it a week yet!
I HATE that! It's totally the way my luck goes, too. I'm sorry, Kel. :(
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:13 am

That when I try to be friendly, I just get ignored. Very annoying.

Not you. Though you could probably guess who.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:46 pm

I hate that my football season is ending today. I will loosely follow the teams moving on but it's just not the same as following your own.

I also hate hearing "There's always next year." I've been hearing that one since the 6th grade, which is the last time they made it to the Superbowl.

But, well, hey, there's always next year.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:28 pm

I also hate hearing "There's always next year." I've been hearing that one since the 6th grade, which is the last time they made it to the Superbowl.

But, well, hey, there's always next year.
I remember hearing it kindergarten when they got knocked out of the playoffs; it was my week to take home to class stuffed animal for the weekend, so I remember it strongly.

To next year.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Horrible timing, or something.

Either NewEgg or UPS requires signatures for certain things. I got that. And I understand that they only deliver when I'm at work (and yes, I apparently need to have things delivered to work, but this is a new concept to me). But come on, I have things from FedEx and UPS dropped at my door with no problems with theft or anything.

So why is it that the one time I opt to just sign the "we missed you" paper instead of driving to the UPS store I returned home from work to find the signed paper gone, an empty doorstep, and a confirmed delivery on UPS.com?

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:50 pm

That the LIFE thread derailed so badly (though, rerailed made me laugh).

That I stooped low enough to post an image in the LIFE thread (without re-derailing it, hopefully?).

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:10 pm

I hate that the coffee place, nestled within the library, is closing up shop after a measly 5 weeks, stating "unprofitable location" as the excuse. They haven't done any advertising as far as anyone, at any point of the library chain of command, is aware of and seemed to sabotage our location from the start, often times under-supplying to the point where our coffee person ran out of coffee and other essential items fairly regularly. We could hear her speaking with the main location, telling them for days on end "I need this, I need that" and them dragging their feet on it.

Hell, in a few tween programs alone, I frequented the place and brought in decent money for them, buying for groups of 8-16 and that's not even touching what other staff, let alone patrons, were buying.

It's all bullshit and the thing that sucks the most, the only reason I give a flying f***, is that when the place closes on Saturday, we lose the person running it. We really grew to love having her around. She's this really funny, personable woman and we're really going to miss her.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Spilling gasoline on my hand when pumping gas. And it wasn't even the hand I used to pump it! How did I manage that? It's even worse in the winter because I got it on my hand AND my fingerless glove.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 pm

Finding my W-2s from 2007 and 2008. There's a difference of $12,000/yr in what I made then and what I make now and that makes me want to cry.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Being bored on a Saturday Night. Ugh.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:28 am

Not all of my brother's friends' beer bottles from his New Year's Eve party were completely empty and I didn't think to check before I took the recyclables off to the recycling center today since we're usually pretty good about rinsing things out. Now the back seat of my car smells like beer where it spilled.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 am

Bronchitis, dangit!!!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:25 am

Feeling stupid.

Feeling sucker-punched.

Being awake past midnight.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:37 am

Insomnia. Of the serious, hardly any sleep at all kind.

Insomnia on top of still-getting-over-this-stupid-bug.

Feeling exhausted before the work day even begins.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 am

On my third laptop and it's taking longer to build than the others. I'm just getting impatient.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Everything that has been going on in my head for the past month-going-on-two, culminating in the two stupidest things I've said all year (we're not that far into it, though), only one of which I'll share:

"Hey, Brat...I don't think I want to go to Chicago anymore." [/paraphrase]

This crap is like an involuntary muscle spasm; I think/say/do things that feel very real in the moment, am completely aware -in the freaking moment- of how ridiculous 99% of it is, and am powerless (or so it seems) to stop it. It's like I'm throwing a temper tantrum and it sucks.

But then the stupid mind games start because I wonder how much of it is ridiculous and how much of it is what I really mean and can only admit when I feel like complete s***. Then we can add the concern over how "normal" all this is and it's the never-ending, soul-crushing, brain-numbing downward spiral of supremo-emo doom.

In other words, it's the reason I've been bed-ridden on the weekends/after work, struggling to get out of bed in the morning, and have actually messed with my alarm twice in the past 9 days, nearly resulting in me not waking up in time to make it to work as scheduled. Bad. Very bad. High school bad. I hate it.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:32 pm

I have very little knowledge of, or interest in politics, but I kind of hate the way ads only tell me why I shouldn't vote for an opposing candidate instead of telling my why I should vote for the other one.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:30 am

That is a big part of why I was really ticked off at Iggy's smear campaign back when he was a figure of note. I had hoped that here was an intellectual politician who could show us why they were the party to vote for, and in the end he was possibly even worse than the rest in terms of just spouting how bad everyone else is. Some of the time it wasn't even so clear as that and was more like "Harper is a poo-poo head so don't vote for him!"
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:53 am

I hate that I am getting a lot of spam IMs right now. ARGH. Aside from the obvious annoyance, I'm so let down when I think someone wants to talk to me, and then SURPRISE! It's a spam-bot.

Grrr.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Breed specific dog bite legislation. Doesn't work. It's also just really stupid. Look at the (limited) data we have!
-Kim

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07 pm

I know this is ridiculous, but I'm getting really tired of people insinuating that I'm pregnant. Yes, I had a trippy couple dreams. No, I'm not pregnant. "Are you sure you're not pregnant?" and "Maybe you're pregnant!" and similar sentiments are pushing me to the point of stabby rage, and it's all innocent so I feel bad about this. Trust me, I will know very quickly and certainly if I get pregnant. And if I feel you need to know, I will just tell you.

(I know people here have asked me if I'm pregnant in the past, but don't worry, it didn't bother me so much then and I'm not upset at you! Just... please don't do it in the future. :) )

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:39 pm

I know this is ridiculous, but I'm getting really tired of people insinuating that I'm pregnant. Yes, I had a trippy couple dreams. No, I'm not pregnant. "Are you sure you're not pregnant?" and "Maybe you're pregnant!" and similar sentiments are pushing me to the point of stabby rage, and it's all innocent so I feel bad about this. Trust me, I will know very quickly and certainly if I get pregnant. And if I feel you need to know, I will just tell you.

(I know people here have asked me if I'm pregnant in the past, but don't worry, it didn't bother me so much then and I'm not upset at you! Just... please don't do it in the future. :) )
There was a time (while ago) when I thought you might be. But, you made it clear that you would tell me when it was really true, so I decided to never ask again. I plan to stick to that plan. :)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 pm

US customs holding my laptop

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Surgeries.

Inside my mouth.

That result in my looking like a chipmunk for a day or more.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Oral surgery is really no fun. I found slurpees do wonders for the swelling, though. The catch is you have to eat them with a spoon because straws are banned.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:40 am

I hate hunting for work. I'm also not overly keen on people asking if it's because I'm a colonial, because I have just as much trouble getting work in Canada as here, and it implies that other people don't have so much difficulty finding something. What is it that other people do to actually get a call back from an employer after seeing their CV??
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 am

The New Guy at work.

Maybe I don't hate him. Maybe I just find him extremely aggravating. And there are many reasons to find him extremely aggravating or creepy or annoying. But here's my main reason:

He pronounces Cool Russian Guy's name wrong.

Obviously, there can be a number of reasons someone does this. They might have a speech impediment, or they might not have actually met the actual person before. But I knew the reason, because you can see it in New Guy. How he acts. The things he does. It's all there. And now I've finally found that, yes, I am right. I was so right about the reason he pronounces Cool Russian Guy's name the wrong way, and that makes it even worse.

For privacy reasons, I can't tell you Cool Russian Guy's name, but let's say that it ordinarily rhymes with "cat". It doesn't, but it has the same "a" sound in it. Cool Russian Guy moved from the Motherland and to Maryland when he was five or six or so, so he still has a very slight accent. And I'm fairly certain that his way of pronouncing his name is due to Americanization, either influencing his parents or even himself, but either way, it doesn't matter. Because New Guy pronounces it to rhyme with "shod". At. Od.

It annoys me. A lot. I mean, if someone has introduced yourself to you, you pronounce their name that way. End of story. And that is how Cool Russian Guy pronounces his name. But I made it easier on myself by saying "maybe there's a reason why New Guy doesn't say it that way, something I don't know about."

New Guy, naturally, has a desk next to mine, despite us having jobs that rarely intersect. And, since New Guy is the new customer service person at work, I listen to a lot of phone calls. I enjoy making up lines for the other person on the line, half out of boredom, half because sometimes the calls have to do with me and it's efficient to have a clue beforehand what we'll be talking about when New Guy turns to me. I can't remember exactly what I had made the other guy say in my head, but it made me laugh. And apparently I had laughed just as New Guy was putting down the phone, and apparently he had said Cool Russian Guy's name (probably for a transfer) because suddenly he was saying "I prefer to pronounce people's names as they would be said in their original language."

I beat a hasty retreat, because, even though I did cringe a bit every time he mispronounced Cool Russian Guy's name, I hadn't been laughing at that, and I told him so. But I so should have laughed. Because I had been right. I knew that was the kind of person New Guy was. The kind of guy who insisted on doing things "the original, correct way" even if it was the kind of thing in which there was no "correct way," like choosing how to pronounce your own name.

Anyway. I'm still really annoyed at it.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm

ugh, there's a girl here at the base that does that all the time. She kept insisting to one of the navy guys that he pronounces his own name wrong because it's German in origin.

Then again she's also a huge walking soap opera. but as much as I dislike her, nothing pisses me off more than my husband constantly defending her annoying behavior, especially since he seems to be trying to make me like her or something. He's way too nice sometimes, but he needs to remember that I'll never have anything but contempt for her until she apologies for insulting my dad.

I don't know what I hate more, her or my husband defending her.
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:38 pm

I hate the way my pickup looks with snow tires/wheels! I'm so thinking of changing the season early! :P

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:12 am

He pronounces Cool Russian Guy's name wrong.
I'm not sure if I mentioned it here before, but at a place I used to work there was an awesome Iranian fellow whose name was 'Farzad'. And shortly after meeting him, he told me I pronounced his name very well, which made me feel really good until I realised that he wasn't talking about getting the specifics of the vowel shape or something technical like that right. It's that I got the letters in the right order. Because nobody, not even the Vice President (who we all saw way too much of), pronounced them in the right order: they all said 'Fazard'. I mean... seriously?! It's NOT that hard to say 'Farzad' for an English speaker. There is nothing wildly complicated about it. The only excuse is a mixture of laziness and disrespect.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:49 pm

colonial
Does this mean "American"? I thought we were "yanks".
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 pm

colonial = Canadian (or Australian or possibly even Gurkha)

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 pm

That I got an 80 on my first Logic Quiz, and that the teacher mentioned something about a "bell curve", but didn't actually curve our grades, even though the average was a C.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 pm

"Hate" is probably too strong a word but I find it somewhat annoying when people leave coloured paper in the photocopier.

I do hate when it jams though. I truely believe that basic photocopier usage, maintenance, and repair should be a class in teachers college. It'd be more practical than 80% of the stuff that is taught there.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”