Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:53 pm

It was kind of nice, like a mental health day that I got paid for.
Hehe!
Right?!

If the issue hadn't started the night before, I'd possibly believe there was someone looking out for me (or listening in on my phone conversations, which is creepy :P).
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:47 am

The engineering department at my brother's (who's an electrical engineering major) school is planning to build one of these autonomous quadrotor robot thingies. No, he doesn't go to MIT, that's just one of the videos he showed me to give an idea what they're doing. Towards the end, though, it does talk about the contest they'll be entering.
The enemy's fly is down.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Have a merry and safe Christmas everyone! :P

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:10 pm

God, packing is a pain in the ass. I can't find my earring, or my camisole. The camisole thing skunks my planned travelling outfit, but I'm just not sure I want to unpack my other suitcase and look for it. And pissfiddles about the earring, I love those earrings. Meanwhile, the place looks like a disaster, and I hate the in-between feeling. Someone tell me it'll be over soon?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:51 pm

Brian-Brian, not egg-Brian, has a sig now. I think that means he likes us. 8)

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm

I just made a Sonic Screwdriver. Wow, it has a lot of vodka. Happy New Year's Eve, me + Doctor Who Netflix streaming!
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:56 am

First post of 2011.

Happy New Years Everyone!
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Happy Binary Day!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:46 pm

Yay binary day!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Church is canceled today. Power outage. I remember church being canceled once when I was a kid because of a snow storm. It's weird when this happens. I don't know what to do with myself, since going to church is what I do on sundays!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42 am

I just woke up from a dream -stopping to marvel over the fact that it is double-digit AM and I just woke up; that is so rare these days, even on days off- in which I was myself but I was also a male me and about to get married to three women, one of whom was Kendra Wilkinsin?...whatever her name is. Two of them picked out white dresses but she picked out a lime green dress.

What in the hell could that dream possibly mean?

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 pm

I just woke up from a dream -stopping to marvel over the fact that it is double-digit AM and I just woke up; that is so rare these days, even on days off- in which I was myself but I was also a male me and about to get married to three women, one of whom was Kendra Wilkinsin?...whatever her name is. Two of them picked out white dresses but she picked out a lime green dress.

It means you ate chocolate before you went to sleep. :P
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:14 pm

I suspect that each of the three women whom you were marrying represent some aspect of femininity which you preceive as being attractive to males (ie. Your male self) and by marrying them you are trying to incorporate them into your female self.

Or...

You're a polygamous transsexual at heart.

I enjoy playing the dream interpretation game. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 pm

I suspect that each of the three women whom you were marrying represent some aspect of femininity which you preceive as being attractive to males (ie. Your male self) and by marrying them you are trying to incorporate them into your female self.
Man, that is a goooood one. You should bullshit for a living!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm a teacher, so I often do. :)
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:38 pm

I'm a teacher, so I often do. :)
I knew it!
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 pm

I was myself but I was also a male me and about to get married to three women, one of whom was Kendra Wilkinsin?...whatever her name is. Two of them picked out white dresses but she picked out a lime green dress.
Way to go, Al!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:12 am

When I have kids, I'll let them watch TV. Satellite TV, even. At least, that's what they'll think. In actuality, the satellite receiver will house a tiny box that receives from countless DVDs that are hidden somewhere else in the house, constantly playing and switching between them and sending their broadcasts (in an easy-to-select interface that mimics normal satellite broadcasting) to the receiver.

What will it show?

Why, all of the shows I grew up on. Rugrats, Family Matters, all of the best made-for-TV movies like Brink. Cory Matthews will age at approximately the same rate as them, Bill Nye will always have the coolest things to show them, and Mister Rogers will never leave. On school days they will only be allowed to watch "Channel 4", AKA PBS, just like when I was growing up.

Eventually I will reveal this master plan to them, which was created to avoid the travesties that they call today's "children's programming". And they will be impressed.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Eventually I will reveal this master plan to them, which was created to avoid the travesties that they call today's "children's programming". And they will be impressed.
I love this. Of course, you'd have to homeschool them and shelter them from making any friends their own age for it to work, but still.

This Christmas, my Sister-in-Law was really surprised that Ginny wasn't into princesses and Disney stuff. "By the time [my niece] was that age, she loved Disney!"
Uhm... yeah, that's because you told her about it. We refuse to. She'll learn eventually, because we can't shelter her forever, but for now, the Tinkerbell on her new placemat is called "Green Fairy", the Cinderella on her pajamas is the "blond lady in blue" and the Mickey and Minnie on her sister's sheets are just mice.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Is it the Disney brand, the values (or lack thereof), or some other reason that keeps you from telling her about that stuff?

Curiosity, and all.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:27 pm

It's the brand. Specifically the "Disney Princesses" thing. I love old school Disney movies - Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Aladdin... those are all fantastic in my book. But what Disney has done with the brand is marketing severe gender roles to children. I want Ginny to choose things based on what she likes, not on what some company tells her she should like. It's annoying that you can't find toys these days without some Disney or Dora crap stamped on them - it's marketing to kids and trying to get them to have brand loyalty before they even really watch TV.

It can be frustrating trying to raise a kid without pressing them into a "girls like pink and princesses, boys like blue and trucks" mold. Ugh.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Jan, I was recently reading some backlogged posts on Felicia Day's blog and she made a post talking about those very issues. I thought it was really interesting and well-written. Don't know how you feel about her, but in case you're interested here's the link: http://feliciaday.com/blog/women-in-tech
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Discord ID: AJ#0001

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Oh dear, I laughed at a Satya post. I'm doomed.

Meanwhile, the only prince I could name, besides Aladdin, was Eric from Little Mermaid though I'm not at all sure one of the others is a Phillip. Maybe the one from Sleeping Beauty.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 am

I recently learned that "the Beast" prince is named Adam. My 8yo niece has recently become obsessed with that movie. I must say though that this is the first time that she has chosen any typical "girly" thing to be obsessed with. Until now it has been dinosaurs, cars, wolves, mummies, etc. And even with Beauty and the Beast, she is much more into the Beast than Belle.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 am

BatB is one of my favorite Disney movies, probably because Belle isn't exactly the standard Disney princess. Yes, it's mentioned that she's beautiful, but she's also extremely strong-willed, and she doesn't just hang around the castle because she's obsessed with Beast, she does it because he'll kill her if she leaves (at first) and later because she finds him interesting. She never indicates that the one thing that will complete her life is a strong man, teaches that reading is cool, and handles Gaston pretty darn well.

Plus, like, the story is definitely set in France, right? Then what is Beast prince of? Prince of France?

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:37 pm

We wear badges at work, that have to be in plain sight, with our picture and our first name on them. Some people take "plain sight" to mean on their belt loop but most people wear them on a lanyard or equivalent neck related system. I use a clip and wear it at about the place, maybe a bit higher than, it'd be were I to wear a lanyard. At any rate, mine is within sight and very easy to spot.

Today, a patron I was helping was being rather passive-aggressive throughout our interaction and "At my library in Canada..." came up more than once, always insinuating how inferior our system is, to the point where I was starting to lose my patience. We hear that all day from various seasonal patrons and it gets old, hearing that we're doing things wrong. I want to tell them that it's a free service to county residents (thanks to them paying their property taxes) and no one is forcing them (snowbirds), as non-residents, to pay to utilize those services; if they truly don't like the conditions to which they must agree to be a part of the system, they can browse here for free, buy their books at a bookstore/online, or go without until they go home. We have free guest computers and if they have laptops, free, unlimited wireless (though the filters on both irritate me), so it's not like they get absolutely nothing if they don't have cards with us.

Tangent there. Anyhow, passive-aggressive patron and what in the hell does the badge have to do with all this?

I was taken by surprise when, out of nowhere, said patron calls me by my first name in what was,perhaps, the friendliest part of our interaction. I don't know why it seemed strange but it felt almost too familiar, to hear my name come from her, after she just spent the last five minutes telling me all the ways in which my library was violating her privacy and making her life more difficult.

I consider myself a relatively polite person but even so, I don't know how comfortable I'd be with using a stranger's first name, even if I could see or was told it. That is, were I at a restaurant and they said, "Hi, my name is [name] and I'll be your server today...," I still wouldn't use it. I'd use sir/ma'am if I felt the need to use any sort of name/title or I'd forgo use of any identifiers.

Anyway. Just thought I'd throw that nugget out there. It was a weird experience for me.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Plus, like, the story is definitely set in France, right? Then what is Beast prince of? Prince of France?
This made me laugh way too much.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Maybe I'm slightly demented. You know when you force a computer to shut down by holding in the power switch? That always makes me feel like I'm smothering it to death.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:22 pm

I have wondered that for years. And has no one noticed the prince went missing? And what about his parents? If they existed, where were they, and if they didn't, wouldn't he be the king, not the prince?

Yes, these things keep me up at night.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:16 am

Maybe I'm slightly demented. You know when you force a computer to shut down by holding in the power switch? That always makes me feel like I'm smothering it to death.
I hate to necropost with an "I agree", but... yes. This always used to slightly unnerve me when growing up whenever I had to do this.

Which I suppose isn't all that bad a thing, since kids should probably learn not to go doing that constantly.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Sometimes I have a thought about which I think "this would be a great fb status" and then I think "no one needs to know that and no one probably cares, good lord, what have we become, sharing every little detail of everything?" And then I renew my vow to avoid twitter completely.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Wow, Ali. I swear you plucked that thought right out of my head. :D
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:58 pm

good lord, what have we become, sharing every little detail of everything?
Oops?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Random: After a month of using the netbook that I talked about buying a while back I've decided that netbooks are very underrated little devices. The ipad may look cool and be fun to play with but I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can argue that it has greater functionality for anything but a narrow range of applications. My computing needs aren't great. I'm not a PC-gamer and I don't care about being able to stream HD video (although my netbook streams 720p a lot better than I was lead to believe it would), but so far I haven't found anything that I do on my desktop PC that my netbook can't handle.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”