Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:43 pm

"The Tipping Point" & "Blink" both by Malcolm Gladwell.
Great books.
Oh, and I have finally completed my collection of the enderverse. :D
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:53 pm

I like all of Malcolm Gladwell's books.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:01 pm

I've not read any of them yet, but I've gotten reasonably detailed summaries from my dad who quite likes them. They do strike me as interesting and sometime I may find the time to read them after I've caught up on all of my fiction and academic reading.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:22 pm

The other one of his that I am looking forward to reading is "outliers".
I heard it was very good, so we'll see.
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:38 pm

I've read some of his New Yorker pieces but I'm not sure if I've read any of his books. It feels like I have though, having read large portions online/had a friend hero worship him a couple summer back.

I'm currently reading The Family Trade by Charles Stross for the third, and hopefully final attempt. And then it is on to my initiation into Greg Egan and Charles de Lint.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm making my way through Shades of Grey, am enjoying it thoroughly, and thought I'd throw out the thought I had about how it seems to be the Giver's extended, slightly more adult edition.

I'm about 2/3s through it; hopefully I finish tonight or tomorrow morning before work. Getting so close to making my goal.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Rereading Ender in Exile, but this time I'm places tabs next to my favorite quotes.

I'm going to do this with all of the enderverse. :D

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:26 pm

I started doing something similar. I was reading the Ender books and taking note of interesting points, questions I hadn't thought of, continuity issues, etc. I got through EG, EE, and SftD, but then got into some new books that I haven't read before. Once I have nothing new to read I'll definitely pick up Xenocide. It's always been one of my favourites in the series.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:33 am

I'm making my way through Shades of Grey, am enjoying it thoroughly, and thought I'd throw out the thought I had about how it seems to be the Giver's extended, slightly more adult edition.

I'm about 2/3s through it; hopefully I finish tonight or tomorrow morning before work. Getting so close to making my goal.
I would agree. I don't think that particular comparison came to mind, but it does seem rather similar in some of the ideas. I can't wait for the other two books in the series to come out.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:22 am

while waiting in checkout line at the bookstore I picked up Hunger Games from the massive storefront display and was hooked by the time I turned the first page. My sister has all of them up on her bookshelf and they are calling yes, calling to me.

in other news I got the new Thomas biography I've been wanting to read as well as a book on dye transfer technicolor that my mom asked me if it was a textbook. I think it probably maybe is but I don't care cause it is pleasure reading for me. :-p
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:44 am

while waiting in checkout line at the bookstore I picked up Hunger Games from the massive storefront display and was hooked by the time I turned the first page. My sister has all of them up on her bookshelf and they are calling yes, calling to me.
I just read all of these. Monday was rough because the library didn't have the second one in yet, but I got it Tuesday. So now I am done with them and all is well. Heed the call.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Finished OSC's new book, Pathfinder, today, after a two day binge reading. I quite enjoyed it, actually. Very nice mix of fantasy and scifi. Really enjoyed it, had a good ending, and I can't wait for the next one.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:21 am

Finished The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan last week. I've really enjoyed reading the Percy Jackson series this year as light reading, and this was no disappointment, as it was the first in his new sequel series to the Percy Jackson series.

Still working on Pathfinder. I'm hoping to get some quality free time tonight to finish it up, but we'll see.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:26 pm

I read MAUS yesterday and am now working on Pathfinder. Anansi Boys and Persuasion are also in the works. I love Christmas break. =]
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Working on The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.
It's made me realize that I have a really small chance of actually surviving a zombie apocalypse...
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Really enjoyed it, had a good ending, and I can't wait for the next one.
I didn't realize it was a part one of a new series, so I was a bit disappointed when it sort of just... stopped. I mean, there was still an "ending," of sorts, but not knowing it wasn't a stand-alone threw me for a loop. Otherwise, though... really good. Much better than his past few novels.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:44 pm

Neither did I, and I felt the same way, but I'm glad it'll be part of a series. I just hope it doesn't take years and years to finish it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:10 pm

I intended to start on Pathfinder next but we got new books in on Friday and The Lost Gate was in there as a 10-day book. I need to get that one read first, it being a loaner, and when that is done, I fully intend to dive into Pathfinder.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:04 pm

I intended to start on Pathfinder next but we got new books in on Friday and The Lost Gate was in there as a 10-day book. I need to get that one read first, it being a loaner, and when that is done, I fully intend to dive into Pathfinder.
But... but... that doesn't come out until the 4th... And my copy's ETA is the 7th!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Huh, that certainly appears to be the case. Oops? :D

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:17 pm

I've got a convenient $20 Borders gift card that I received as a gift, and I plan on spending that bad boy on Tuesday to get The Lost Gate. Hopefully it arrives on Tuesday. :D

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:37 pm

My getting Lost Gate has somehow turned into a drama llama. I mentioned to both my parents OSC is signing it this week and they both assumed I was going (I was unsure), and now my dad wants to go with me. I liked Pathfinder but I'm still not sure I want to pay for LG.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Animal Farm! Jeez what a crazy book. The 3 million pages added before the actual story kinda ruined what it was about, and the ending wasn't surprising, but it was still insane. :)
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Halfway through PATHFINDER and really, really enjoying it so far.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 pm

I just finished The Lost Gate and, as I told Brat yesterday, it reminded me of Enchantment, namely in the way it served, in a fashion, to explain away our folklore/tales/gods/etc.

I enjoyed it but was also a bit surprised, for some reason, by some of the things that the characters said.

Next up, Pathfinder.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:43 pm

I just started The Lost Gate, and so far it looks promising. The only negative thing I've heard about it is how Card's mysogynism might be present in the novel, as well as his homophobia, but I'm hoping they're done such that it makes sense for a person thats never been out in the world and has been stuck inside walls to think that way. I hope.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:13 am

Just finished The Lost Gate. Enjoyed it, and can't wait to read more. I liked the two characters the novel focused on, I just wished it was a little longer. The fact that I pounded through the book two days, and I didn't even spend all that long reading it, is just sad. What I said previously about the homophobia and misogynisticness of the novel didn't hold true. The novel was just more adult than what I've come to expect of OSC.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Finished The Lost Gate yesterday. I really liked it and am less disappointed about the ending than I was with Pathfinder, but I think that's mostly because I knew going into it that it was just the first book in a series. I didn't really sense the homophobia or misogyny that Wil had heard about, but people will see what they see, I guess.

Now it's on to Fool Moon, the second Dresden book. I enjoyed the first one, so I have high hopes for this one.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Now it's on to Fool Moon, the second Dresden book. I enjoyed the first one, so I have high hopes for this one.
Perfect timing, mang! I've been rereading them/finally buying them for myself, and, trust me, they only get better. I think the series really starts to hit its stride in the third book, Grave Peril, and I'm not just saying that because the TWO BEST CHARACTERS are introduced in it. Although they help. Fool Moon is probably my least favorite of all of them, actually, despite Storm Front's pretty slowly pacing.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Perfect timing, mang! I've been rereading them/finally buying them for myself, and, trust me, they only get better. I think the series really starts to hit its stride in the third book, Grave Peril, and I'm not just saying that because the TWO BEST CHARACTERS are introduced in it. Although they help. Fool Moon is probably my least favorite of all of them, actually, despite Storm Front's pretty slowly pacing.
I guess this means that even if I don't really like Fool Moon, I'll be reading the third book on your recommendation.

I'm holding you responsible. :P

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:03 pm

I liked Pathfinder, reading it was like experiencing an OSC mix tape. Things didn't turn out quite like I expected, but I was chuckling about the ending being a more or less straight out of The Ships of Earth.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Finished maze runner onto scorch trails.

The Percy Jackson series was fun until it got too repetitive.

Hunger games were okay only reason i read second and third was because of the first book that was pretty interesting.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Hey, Waffleman. I'm pretty sure that the quote which you attribute to Homer Simpson in your sig was actually said by Milhouse.

Didn't you introduce yourself as some huge Simpsons fan? :wink:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm pretty sure that the quote which you attribute to Homer Simpson in your sig was actually said by Milhouse.
He knows. For example:
It was Milhouse, not Homer, who said: "How could this happen? We started out like Romeo and Juliet but it ended up in tragedy!"
Here is proof that Milhouse said it and the correct wording. It was in Season 3, Episode 23, "Bart's Friend Falls in Love".

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Lol. Sorry. I should have known that others would have caught it.

I was wondering if Homer might have said it some time too. After so many years the Simpsons can't help but repeat some gags.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”