First World Problems

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

First World Problems

Postby Caspian » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:25 pm

I spent a bunch of time downloading a podcast, but THEN it turned out I didn't have the ipod connector cord! So I had to walk to the bank to deposit my paycheque and listen to music on my ipod instead of listening to a new podcast! MAN!

On the other hand, a billion people in the world don't have drinking water.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:29 pm

I can't find a table cloth for my night stands that I don't absolutely hate.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:16 pm

I have a pantry, a fridge, and a freezer (two, actually) full of food-like substances and I am annoyed I have nothing to eat. By which I mean, there's nothing that wouldn't require some minimal amount of effort.

I'm pretty sure there are still people starving around the world, some even in this very town but they're starving first world style so we'll just focus on starving African and Asian populations.

(Did I do this thread correctly? There were no instructions and I wasn't sure if I had to also list a bad thing that made me feel like an ass for having my problems.)
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:32 pm

You don't have to feel like an ass, but yeah, the idea is to complain about a genuinely annoying problem, then provide some perspective as a counterpoint.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Hey, sometimes it's a good exercise to feel like an ass. Builds character or something.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:24 pm

f*** you, world. I just got a $20,000 medical bill I can't afford and that's due in full in a month after the doctor and hospital assured me it would "probably" be a tenth of that. If I had known it would've been this much in advance, I wouldn't have gone through with the procedure. If I had known for sure that I'd be getting a new job within a couple weeks and have insurance in three months, I would've waited. Hell, I was leaning towards not doing it anyway based on the simple fact that in the past eight years I've had no reason to justify it's continued existence, but the doctor made it sound like it would be a huge mistake to not do it and assured me that due to my lack of insurance or financial resources, it would be next to free. f*** you, world.

On the other hand, even in a first world country, I was almost fertilizer eight years ago.

Note: this is just me venting. My parents and I intend to explore our options and fight this, if we can.
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:57 pm

I don't have enough local, organic milk left to make a cup of gourmet organic hot chocolate to drink out of my Bodum Pavina double-walled glass cup (the last remaining one in the set, tragically, because the rest broke).

I'm actually pretty upset about this, cause I really, really, really want some hot chocolate right now.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:45 am

My cable stutters a bit sometimes since Comcast switched over to all-digital broadcasting. The powder room in my house is small, and the door is usually closed, so central heating makes it uncomfortably warmer than the hallway. I'm looking at my box set of the original Star Wars trilogy, upset that I got the Fullscreen edition instead of the Widescreen edition.

Meanwhile several million people will starve or freeze to death this winter, with nothing to watch except their siblings doing the same.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:51 am

I'm close to tearing my hair out about the travel visa. One thing after another and delays and uncertainty and AUGH.

On the other hand, I still have a husband and I'm more educated than almost the entire world. I shouldn't complain.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:53 am

I'm not sure that's strictly a first-world problem, but I'm also close to tearing out my hair over the visa issue.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 am

Well, whinging about how hard it is to bring my husband with me for my totally-priviliged education so we can comfortably fly together now instead of later... It feels first-world.

How about: At least I don't have to worry that by leaving him behind my husband will be at risk of famine, war, or natural disaster while I fly away, unsure if I'll ever see him again (and be thrilled if it's only five years!).
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:11 pm

My car's motor is blown. I have to buy another one.

I have a job to drive that car to, and excellent roads to travel on in order to get there.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Ugh, what is it with facebook and having to CLICK before I type in my status? So much work!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:00 am

My dog got excited over something, somehow got her paw on my laptop, and popped off the "Page Down" key. I couldn't find it at first and got pissed off, wanting to yell at her "This is why we can't have nice things!"

Computers aren't food, shelter, clothing, or water...ya know, life's real necessities. I have all that and a laptop. A lot of people can't even get the necessities and I'm worried over a little key? Get a grip, lady.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:29 am

Grr, my copy of The (Even More) Incredible Machine won't run on my too-advanced computer!

Flip side, I have a computer, and it's even pretty new and spiffy.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:05 pm

If that's the game I think it is, I used to play it all the time in Biology class, though I never had my own copy. I was going to recommend a couple other, similar and a bit newer puzzle games to you that should still run fine on modern computers, but they were on my old iBook that crashed and I can't remember what they were called.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Rei hooked me up with a DOS emulator. I played it well into the wee hours of the night last night.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Nevertheless, I wish I could remember what those games were.
The enemy's fly is down.

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:56 am

Its raining in my city and I have no car to stay dry while I travel around so I stay inside and mess around on my computer.

hundreds will die from hypothermia due to poor housing.

Did I do that right?
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:21 am

Nevertheless, I wish I could remember what those games were.
Fair enough. Can I list "some people actually die the first time around" as your flip-side?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:16 pm

The things that I ordered through my magic box are taking more then a few days to get to me.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:23 pm

That I purchased season 3 of Mad Men though Amazon (where I also bought seasons 1 and 2) and the box doesn't match season 1 and 2.

On the other hand, I can afford to buy things like Mad Men and actually get upset over the fact that the boxes don't match... I have a dvd/blu ray player to watch them, and I have a house that I can spend all day in watching Mad Men if I choose to.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:13 pm

I wanna watch the Oscars, but we don't have a TV, only a computer. And the "All Access Oscars" live stream that you can pay for is only available to people in the States.
Wahhhh.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:00 pm

My mom is having her annual Oscar party and we, as usual, are not going because we abhor all awards shows. She goes all out with tons of food, a voting ballot (the person who guesses the most right gets a restaurant gift card) and new this year - decorations including a huge poster of fancy dressed up people with face cut outs to take your picture in. I know, I'm a party pooper. :P
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:52 pm

It's such a guilty pleasure. I have watched them (in their entirety!) every year since I was, like, 12 except the last two years when we haven't had TV. No one I know cares about them enough to have an oscar party. :(

...though, now that I live in this crazy timezone, they start at 9pm, so I don't know if I could stay up late enough to get to the end anyway.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:34 am

No one I know cares about them enough to have an oscar party. :(

This is my problem for just about everything I care about or am interested in. To the point where it's almost enough to make me definitely believe in God; who else would get such a kick out of me feeling alone in so many of my interests? Or, as my grandma would say, "He's trying to teach you a lesson and you're obviously not learning it."

My goal in life is to end up with a set of what I call Steph Friends. Throw little proms, have themed parties, dress up, have all-nighters, and are willing to do it all sober (though I wouldn't always need it to be the case that it was).
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:42 am

It's such a guilty pleasure. I have watched them (in their entirety!) every year since I was, like, 12 except the last two years when we haven't had TV. No one I know cares about them enough to have an oscar party. :(

...though, now that I live in this crazy timezone, they start at 9pm, so I don't know if I could stay up late enough to get to the end anyway.
I find that kind of sad. :( I really love living in a house (or going to school with) people who take almost any excuse to have a party. I don't know if we're having an oscar party, but I wouldn't be surprised if we did. Is there no one in Paul's department who'd be up for it, Jan? What kind of grad students are they, anyway?

(I would come to your party if I could.)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 am

My goal in life is to end up with a set of what I call Steph Friends. Throw little proms, have themed parties, dress up, have all-nighters, and are willing to do it all sober (though I wouldn't always need it to be the case that it was).
Awww. I feel warm and fuzzy. Move here and my friends will be your friends, too!!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:27 pm

I have a friend in Israel who is going to be watching them at 3am her time.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:02 pm

I found it streaming online, so all is well.

Though, I was wrong - it started at TEN pm, not nine. So very late.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:04 pm

I really want to go to bed, but my duvet cover is not dry yet.

This is a first world problem because I have my own washer and dryer, I have a soft comfortable bed to go to sleep in and I'm still complaining because I have to wait another 10-20 minutes for it to dry.
-Kim

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 am

My butt hurts from sitting on these hard chairs in class!

On the other hand, there are billions of people (especially women) without a grade school level education.
-Kim

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 am

The other day as I was driving to work I was listening to a local radio station that does this Family Feud like thing where they ask a question and people try to guess the most popular answer based on a survey.

The question was, "what do you wish was never invented?"

My mind immediately jumped to guns, bombs, nuclear weapons, etc. I was somewhat appalled that they went through several callers before anyone even guessed something that kills people (landmines). Popular guesses included facebook, twitter, cellphones, and alarm clocks!

Is it me, or is this very telling with regards to the mentality of our society and how sheltered most of us are from real problems? Unfortunately I never did find out what the number 1 answer was, as I arrived at work before anyone guessed it.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon May 30, 2011 10:15 pm

I've been "busy" more or less constantly for the past seven years. Between work (the past 2ish years), school + volunteer positions (before that), personal technical projects, and various entertainment things I follow (shows, comics, LPs, etc), there haven't been any "gaps".

It's not like I'm always working, since some of that is watching stuff or playing games, etc, but it always seems to be from a todo list a mile long, and there's always something at the back of my mind that I know I "should" be doing. The last time I was bored for lack of things to do was so long ago I can't remember what it feels like. Occasionally I'll forget what's next on the todo list for a minute or so (usually after I finish something large), and it feels very strange. Nearly every day comes a moment when I feel completely overwhelmed by the number of things I want to accomplish that I will never be able to actually do due to lack of time.

Meanwhile, a third of the world lives without electricity.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue May 31, 2011 7:51 am

I'm overwhelmingly stressed from planning and packing for my trip to California in two days. Boo hoo for me, going on vacation and all.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “Milagre Town Square”