OSC Comics?

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
Scott
Launchie
Launchie

OSC Comics?

Postby Scott » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:50 am

I've read Wyrms so I bought the Wyrms comics #1-5 and I enjoyed them, just curious if other people have bought them.

OSC has his name on other comics too: He wrote the Ultimate Iron Man.

I also bought the hardcover comic RED PROPHET: tales of Alvin Maker Vol 1, even though I hadn't read any of the Alvin maker books yet.

Aesculapius
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Aesculapius » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:48 pm

I've heard of the Ender's Game comics that are under development.
Here's the preview link that a friend of mine gave me:

http://io9.com/5059516/read-the-first-1 ... nders-game

[/img]
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
-Benjamin Franklin

Aesculapiüs

Bryan Christopher Sawyer
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bryan Christopher Sawyer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm going to buy the Ender's Game comics within the next month or so.

I read the Ultimate Iron Man Issues and they were great! OSC is totally at home writing in the Marvel Universe, no wonder they are so comfortable with his work. He really put some great new spins on the Iron Man mythos, at least to my knowledge. He was the perfect author to show what Tony Stark was like as a child, and again depict a hard but character shaping childhood.

Arlecchino
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Arlecchino » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Hmm, I've read the Ultimate Iron mans. They were great...I wish he'd carry on the storyline though (he stopped after the 2nd set). He's one of the few people who do Tony Stark justice.

I've read all of wyrms and hated it. I guess if I read the story it would make sense, but if you're just going off the comics, it doesn't make sense. So much missing out.

Ive also been reading the Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow at battleschool. They're not AMAZING like i had hoped, but they're real interesting to read... it's the first time Ive looked at Andrew and Bean through someone elses eyes. No thoughts nor explinations of their actions... they just do stuff and I watch.

After reading them, I feel I know what Graff felt like the day Andrews monitor was taken out...

Also, after reading them, I understand why people think Andrew is a monster, reading him fight Stilson and knowing why is okay. But seeing him do it without really knowing why...is sickening. He's so young...

ClotharTheSeeker
Launchie
Launchie

Ender Comics "look & feel"

Postby ClotharTheSeeker » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:55 pm

I've seen some images of the Ender comics series.

I have to say I don't like the look and feel. There is something wrong about the dimensional proportions of the children. They seem to have a child's head on an adult's body.

Also the concept of the suit which locks when the laser touches them, does not coincide with my vision of a thin, metal-mesh, leotard-like coverall.

For this and many other reasons, I am not persuaded that the comics are that great a representation of the books. I would rather have my kids read the books in their original format, as well as comic stories in their original format. Spiderman was created in comic form. The character and imagery was created and fleshed out in that format. Recent movies were the first to properly transform the flat panels into real-life images. I hope the same will happen for Ender's Game, when it reaches the large screen. For me, adaptation of Ender to comic book form is a "de-naturing" process, my opinion being confirmed to my satisfaction by what I have seen so far.

I fear that those who read the Ender comics first will not find the need to read the books, thereby cheating themselves of the full experience and enrichment than could be derived from reading the books.

TheTranskinator
Launchie
Launchie
Location: i'm not sure... it's dark and a i hear laughing... aww crap

Postby TheTranskinator » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:30 pm

I have the Ender's Game comics, and the first Ender's Shadow comic. I liked seeing the take the artist used on the books, but overall I didn't like them. (talking about the Ender's Game comics) The people are oddly proportioned, and the things that make the book great (capturing Ender's lonliness, the drama, the way everyone works against Ender) aren't here. A static image cannot depict Ender's lonliness, especially when the book never tries...

Ender's Shadow was more enjoyable in my opinion. I liked the grittier art style, and it did capture Bean's desperation better (but not all that well). When the story moved to space it got worse though. The streets are definitely the highlight in my opinion.

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”