PEOPLE: DROP IT WITH CARD'S VIEWS ON HOMOSEXUALITY PLEASE

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
llappall
Launchie
Launchie

PEOPLE: DROP IT WITH CARD'S VIEWS ON HOMOSEXUALITY PLEASE

Postby llappall » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:20 pm

To all the homosexuals, supporters of homosexual marriage, friends of supporters of homosexual marriage, people that get offended because Card does not support homosexual marriage, etc:

Please drop it.

First, this is about Ender's Game & the Enderverse. It's not about Card's ideas. If you want to discuss those, there are other venues more appropriate. There is such a thing as loving OSC work without agreeing with him. I love Heinlein but hate some of his ideas. So what? I can still enjoy a good book.

Second, calling for a boycott on his movie is lame, unjust and stupid. AND very bigoted and intolerant. I wouldn't support a boycott on some actor/movie/etc because I don't agree with their ideas. I find it funny that as soon as anyone express any idea contrary to what you think, YOU label THEM bigots. If you were as enlightened as you think you are, you'd listen to the man and consider his ideas with an open mind. Which you don't have. And you say HE doesn't. Do you even see the irony here?

Third, please don't waste your typing in answering me. I don't care what you think. I just want cleaner air around here. But please contribute anything you want to the discussions on Ender! ;)

Thanks for your understanding.

llappall

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: PEOPLE: DROP IT WITH CARD'S VIEWS ON HOMOSEXUALITY PLEAS

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:25 pm

"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Scott, you're always welcome here. There's no need to hide behind an anonymous account.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Scott, you're always welcome here. There's no need to hide behind an anonymous account.
:stamp:
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Third, please don't waste your typing in answering me. I don't care what you think. I just want cleaner air around here. But please contribute anything you want to the discussions on Ender! ;)

Holy s***, the hubris. Well, golly gee jeepers, thanks SO much for your invitation to post in the community some of us have belonged to for over a decade, Launchie! And, of course, you have EVERY right to tell everyone else what they can and can't post! Because you are a beloved and respected figure here!

:roll:
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Holy s***, the hubris. Well, golly gee jeepers, thanks SO much for your invitation to post in the community some of us have belonged to for over a decade, Launchie! And, of course, you have EVERY right to tell everyone else what they can and can't post! Because you are a beloved and respected figure here!

:roll:
LOL! :lol:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:22 pm

I fell so comforted when the only person left with an open mind (where has he or she been when we've needed them all these years?!?) lets us know just how close-minded we all are. I'm wondering if there is any irony in that; if there is, I think I may have missed it.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:31 am

Okay, good one for pointing out the inherent irony in intolerantly calling someone a bigot and shunning them, having recently gone through some religion-based struggles, I have studied a few aspects of this and some other seeming paradoxes, bu here's one you may've missed - calling the boycotters "close-minded" and then making it clear that we shouldn't bother replying because you don't want to hear our opinions. I'd commend you for playing a deep game of irony and self-aware hipocracy, but I won't, because you're not.

The boycott is not about shunning the work, I love his work, it's about not giving him the money and therefore the power to influence decisions concerning gay marriage and homosexuals in general.

As for being a closed-minded bigot towards closed-minded bigots - I'm not. I merely happen to believe that discrimination of any kind is wrong and if you say that your God told you to opress gays, women, foreigners or anyone else, then please, by all means, demonstrate that he exists so I at least know there's a reason you're persecuting me. You can't prove he exists? Oh, okay, well, how's this? I won't impede your rights as areligious person or hate you for it and you do the same for me? Sound fair and reasonable? Now that that's settled, you don't have to donate to any pro-LGBTQI causes and I won't pay to see your movie.

See, llappall, tolerance, open-mindedness and logic. Never fails.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:01 am

The boycott is not about shunning the work, I love his work, it's about not giving him the money and therefore the power to influence decisions concerning gay marriage and homosexuals in general.
Except OSC isn't making any money off of ticket sales from the movie at ALL.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/31/orson_s ... ame_movie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

thoughtcannon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby thoughtcannon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Idea channel posted an interesting video on this very subject yesterday on youtube. It covers things pretty comprehensively but doesn't show a bias one way or the other toward going to see the film or not. It works from the basis that Orson Scott cards views are not exactly PC but then evaluates whether one should watch the movie as a result of these views. It's worth a quick watch.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:05 am

Except OSC isn't making any money off of ticket sales from the movie at ALL.
While Card won’t profit directly from movie revenues, the author continues to earn money from sales of the original book, which has soared to the top of the New York Times Bestseller List
"Ticket sales" being the operative phrase, Luet.

also...
the LGBT community’s refusal to see ‘Ender’s Game’ carries more of a symbolic rejection of Card and his rhetoric than a financial one
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:40 am

And, just because only a few of you have contributed, here's that link, again:

http://www.razoo.com/team/Endersgamefans4equality" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

llappall, if you support equal rights, you might want to put your money where your mouth is, and contribute.

Unless you're telling people to "drop it with Card's views on Homosexuality" because you actually support his views on homosexuality, and you're just hoping to see if you can get the opposition to somehow tie its own hands behind its back, as well as its own shoelaces together (which is how I'm reading a LOT of your "type" of complaints).
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”