Movie will be Ender's Game + Ender's Shadow?

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Vitaly Kolmogorov
Launchie
Launchie

Movie will be Ender's Game + Ender's Shadow?

Postby Vitaly Kolmogorov » Fri May 24, 2013 3:18 pm

I was listening to "Ender's shadow" the audio book by Audiorenaissance wherein the final few minutes include an original forward by Orson scott Card. He talks about the stuggle t make Ender's Game into a movie, and explains a revelation from a friend that he would have to roll both Ender's Game & Ender's Shadow into one movie to allow both characters to see the other. Without this it would be difficult to see the whole movie through Enders Eyes, esp, without him narrorating. This forward was writen nearly 8 years ago, however I feel that it is still true for the screen play........

Thoughts?!?!?
Vitaly Kolmogorov
GovAct%ShakespeareCol@colmin.gov :stamp:

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: Movie will be Ender's Game + Ender's Shadow?

Postby Boothby » Fri May 24, 2013 5:15 pm

Vitaly,

This has actually been widely known by many. When you think of it, this turns out to be a really good way of "reading Ender's thoughts," through dialogue between him and Bean.

And even though you may find, scattered around the Interwebs, the occasional fan who is still hoping that there will be a second Enderverse movie of "Ender's Shadow"....we all know that there won't.

I have a suspicion, though, that a lot of this dialogue will wind up being between Ender and Petra. We'll just have to wait and see.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Vitaly Kolmogorov
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Vitaly Kolmogorov » Fri May 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Thx Boothby!

that does make a lot of sense, Im still a little worried about the the lack of Peter/valentine story progress and the lack of phmpesis on the mind game :/
Vitaly Kolmogorov

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri May 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Rumor has it that there will be SOMETHING of the mind game, but nothing involving Peter & Valentine taking over the world through teh Internets.

--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 pm

None of this:

--Boothby

Vitaly Kolmogorov
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Vitaly Kolmogorov » Fri May 24, 2013 9:06 pm

#depression
Vitaly Kolmogorov

fanette
Launchie
Launchie

Postby fanette » Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 am

Unpopular opinion: I actually think it's a good decision to leave out the Locke and Demosthenes storyline.

Even when I first read the book, that part felt apart, kind of stuck on, or maybe like a dramatic intermission. The story was about Ender, and I got the impression that Locke and Demosthenes were just there to get Ender to leave Earth so that The Speaker for the Dead could happen. OSC has said himself that he conceived of Speaker first and wrote Ender's Game in order to lead up to it and introduce readers to the character of Ender (and how he got to be who he was). So while the Locke/Demosthenes story held merit in and of itself, I always felt that that should have been a separate book. Being a big fan of narrative coherency, I won't miss this part in the Ender's Game movie.

fanette
Launchie
Launchie

Postby fanette » Thu May 30, 2013 6:37 am

As for Ender's Shadow:

On the one hand, Asa Butterfield recently stated that there was nothing of Ender's Shadow in the movie.

On the other hand, he did another interview during the same event where he confused Ender's Shadow with Speaker for the Dead. So maybe he thought of Speaker for the Dead, too, when he said that nothing of the book was in the movie Ender's Game.

Hmm.

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 05 May 2013

Postby Rootersfriend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Hey guys,

I'm also a little dissapoint at the lack of storyline with Peter and Valentine, but I guess I get it. It's such a big part of the story, and helps to fuel the seperation between Ender and Valentine, with her turning more towards Peter, but at the same time it would be pointless unless they chose to make more films following that story arc (which I'd be fine with.) The wierd Part to me about mixing EG and ES is that (unless I missed something) there isn't any Achilles...Which is kind of a big deal in ES...

I'm also worried about the mind game, I'm new on here so it's possible I missed something but are there any thoughts on how this may be done?? That is a huuuge part of EG and I feel like taking it out would cripple the story, I mean that IS ender's sanity, and his escape from the hellish life he has, until it starts messing with him, which again is huge considering that is the bridge that the hive queen created to try to communicate with him. But I for one don't want to just sit there and watch someone tap on a tablet, and unless it was done really well the whole "movie within a movie" approach seems not too great.

Thoughts?
::Live as a villain, die as a hero::

mywildimagination
Launchie
Launchie

Postby mywildimagination » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:39 am

I think they're just going to include Bean figuring out everything he did from hacking and climbing through the vents, as well as his interactions with Graff - the parts that contribute to the main storyline of Ender's Game. I don't think they'll do much of his backstory. They might show Bean changing the game after Ender left Battle School, but probably not Achilles. Personally, if they don't include Bean's "Absalom, Absalom" part at the end, I'm going to . . . I don't know, but it would be stupid if they didn't. I practically cry every time I read that part.

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:53 pm

In my opinion, Ender's Game movie is a one shot, there can't really be a sequel unless they include some part of Ender's Shadow. Even then, SftD and ES (or SotG) don't make good sequels because the conflict is different.

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”