How will scenes like the Bonzo bathroom scene be changed?

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
meniscus-
Launchie
Launchie

How will scenes like the Bonzo bathroom scene be changed?

Postby meniscus- » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:57 am

Like in the subject, how will certain scenes which contain extreme gore or nudity like the Bonzo scene be changed?
Will this ruin the message of Ender's kindness in any way if the scene is changed?

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: How will scenes like the Bonzo bathroom scene be changed

Postby Boothby » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 am

There's no way of knowing, but based on Gavin Hood's earlier movies (Tsotsi, Rendition), and his acknowledging that HE was a "child soldier" at some point (probably back when he was a child, if I had to guess), I would imagine that the scenes are going to be brutal, and probably intentionally troubling in that brutality, but that they won't be overly sexualized.

Besides, in the US, you can more easily get away with showing someone's head getting torn off, than with showing a love scene. And naked boys fighting in a shower? I don't even think you could get away with an "R" rating for that!

http://www.mpaa.org/ratings/what-each-rating-means" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented. There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence. A motion picture’s single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, initially requires at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive requires an R rating, as must even one of those words used in a sexual context.
This will not be an "R" movie. (My prediction--since the movie poster doesn't actually say!)

--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby allenwatson23 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:24 pm

The fight will probably be intense, but without any nudity. I doubt OSC would allow it.
Huge Ender's Game fan and a lover of reading. First book due out soon!
http://authorallenwatson.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Card's got nothing to say about it.

But I agree with you otherwise.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”