OK, so there's some positive action here....

A place to discuss official news from the production of the Ender's Game film, due in theaters November 2013
Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

OK, so there's some positive action here....

Postby Boothby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Out of the blue today at work, I got an e-mail from Lynn Hendee, as sort of an introduction to Gavin Hood. I think, if not for Lynn's e-mail, I would have totally doubted the veracity of what happened next--namely, in the course of about an hour, I was on the phone with Gavin Hood.

Sometimes I hate being right, but as DD and the other effects companies were putting together their intermediate animations for the Battle School sequences--including to a great extent, the Battle Room sequences--they were running into some problems. The transparent walls of the Battle Room were NOT (as I feared) as disorienting as Gavin Hood had hoped. The visual "anchor" of the constantly-present earth, always "stole" the audience's attention. There was never a way to show the confusion of the students in the Battle Room (since no one who viewed the detailed visualizations EVER bought into it), and there was NEVER a way to separate one's perceptions from the "Earth-Down" orientation and re-map the Battle Room so that the Enemy's Gate was down. It just wasn't working.

The other problem was also one I had predicted--and I had been hoping to be totally wrong about this, but I was not. The corridor surrounding the Battle Room revolved at a speed fast enough to create an outward G-Force of about 90% G, but the pre-viz showed the gravity vector pointing along the axis of rotation, not perpendicular to it! It would be like standing ON the rings of Saturn. Hood was (to put it mildly) rather pissed that I had brought this concept up in a comment at EnderNews.com (if you look, they have taken down the comment). Basically, I think he felt like an idiot for listening to his "engineering advisers."

Luckily, I was able to set up a WEBEX at the office, and we sketched up a bunch of concepts. the footage he has already shot CAN be manipulated (sufficient tech, sufficient choices, sufficient time) to fit my original concept of the Battle School. Actually, he's a smart guy--he pointed out a few weaknesses in my design! Luckily, they were easily "repaired" (in ways that HIS concept, unfortunately, could not be).

As you can probably guess, I'm really not supposed to be posting ANY of this here, but I just can't resist. I'm going to leave this post here for a few hours, and then delete it. Hopefully, none of the Production's "spies" will notice it before it disappears.

I will now officially be sleeping out at the IMAX to be first in line to see the film.

(Oh--and they are going to be making it 3D, after all, using post-production compositing. It will be totally KICK-ASS!!!!)
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Re: OK, so there's some positive action here....

Postby allenwatson23 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for sharing and posting while you can!
Huge Ender's Game fan and a lover of reading. First book due out soon!
http://authorallenwatson.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:45 pm

You had me up until... "I think he felt like an idiot"

Very sly.
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:06 pm

I think if today weren't today, I'd feel much better about this :/
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

allenwatson23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby allenwatson23 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm

HAHA. Freakin 4/1/13
Huge Ender's Game fan and a lover of reading. First book due out soon!
http://authorallenwatson.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:12 pm

I would have believed it if I hadn't spent 30min with my friend trying to guess what EG April fools day rumors were going to be spread...
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:19 pm

HAHA. Freakin 4/1/13
:stamp:
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:58 pm

I was waiting for you to post something like this throughout the day, then went back to working on programming before you did, and an hour into 4/2 came back forgetting that you'd still had 6 hours without my paying attention to post. I got to the 4th sentence before the little alarm started going off in my head.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:41 pm

You had me until I read everyone else's comments. Now I'm sad. Can this be a different day and be real?

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:49 am

I trust I did not disappoint?!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:07 am

I totally believed it!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 am

You totally disappointed because I knew it was a "joke" from the get-go and it made me sad.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Is it OK that I feel happy that I made people sad by merely posting my dashed hopes and dreams as an "April Fool's" story?
--Boothby

StoneGirl8
Launchie
Launchie

Postby StoneGirl8 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 pm

It just figures that the first post I read on this forum would be an April Fools joke. :roll:

I didn't even realize it until I read people's comments, then checked the date. I win the gullibility game!

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Sorry, StoneGirl8, it's a tradition.

Welcome to the site!

:limeaid:
--Boothby

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Fri May 31, 2013 9:35 am

Well seeing that i read this now, today...you got me good till i read the comment... Well done!!
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Fri May 31, 2013 9:48 am

My pleasure!

:hatsoff:
--Boothby

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Fri May 31, 2013 3:06 pm

funny was that I was going to pm you asking about any follow ups to it....then *sigh* :bow: :grumble: :bow: :bow: :thumbs: :stamp:
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Return to “Ender's Game Movie News and Discussion”